GDT: Wings @ Sens 7:30pm TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urkie

Mar 21, 2007
Long time lurker but my opinion is that our struggles actually do fall on the forwards more so then the defense. Yes, the defense has struggled obviously but when you're playing in your own zone most of the night that's going to happen.

Our first 2 lines have been okay but the drop off to me is the third line. Last season the third line brought energy and a sustained forecheck that the whole team fed off of. That's non existent this season. Any defense will struggle when the forwards can't get a sustained forecheck going and right now that's the case.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Had class 7-10 so I missed the whole game. Just got into the car for the OT goal.

Can someone give me a breakdown of the game? Past 3 pages make it seem pretty dismal.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Had class 7-10 so I missed the whole game. Just got into the car for the OT goal.

Can someone give me a breakdown of the game? Past 3 pages make it seem pretty dismal.

Same problems as usual.

Defense needs to be improved.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not my point.
on John Locke
It might seem that Locke believed that words never retain a common meaning when they are used by one person speaking to another, but this is not the case. Locke, the master of common sense, was well aware that words must sometimes signify the same meaning to different people for otherwise there would be no communication and language would be completely useless. However, the more complex the idea signified by the word, the more likelihood that the word represents a different idea in the mind of each person who hears or reads it.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
First the Cowen - Boro pairing had to be broken up. Now the Wier - Ceci combo has to be broken up.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Lazar had a good game. He is showing signs of improving.

Huge steps imo. Driving to the net and skating with intensity.
A couple more steps forward and look out. Excited to see his development next couple years. I believe we have a special player. White should have a similar impact.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Huge steps imo. Driving to the net and skating with intensity.
A couple more steps forward and look out. Excited to see his development next couple years. I believe we have a special player. White should have a similar impact.

I think White has better hands, is a little more cerebral but is less physical.
Lazar is or is becoming one of the best fore-checkers on the team . Being able to attack with speed and play the man creating loose pucks. With the right cycle game linemates he would be more effective. (I'd like to see him with Zib and MM).

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
My review of the game tonight:

- While Ceci didn't play great tonight, he wasn't that bad other than the two major brain farts.

- I agree with most the Anderson played played good enough for us to get the win but he's gotta have the Larkin goal everyday all week.

- Weircioch might be the slowest NHL defensemen that i've ever seen like and also very very soft. He's absolutely lost in the his own end and his hockey IQ and speed kill him in the offensive end.

- Didn't notice much of stone at all.

- Bobby is looking better and better every game.

- IMHO Karlsson is making some unneccasary pinches

- Again, i agree with most that our bottom 6 is providing little to no urgent forecheck what so ever

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So we came back and stole a point
Karlsson is still PPG
Ryan is hawt
Hoffman cementing superstar status in the nhl by the game

all of our top guys are producing and Hammond has shown that he can win NHL games (He only lost 1 in regulation over his small career),

I actually think we are a really good team and see no reason to *****. Do we need some help on defence? Sure. Do the majority of other NHL clubs also have needs? Hell ya. **** it. Enjoy the season I think we are on the road for a good one.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So we came back and stole a point
Karlsson is still PPG
Ryan is hawt
Hoffman cementing superstar status in the nhl by the game

all of our top guys are producing and Hammond has shown that he can win NHL games (He only lost 1 in regulation over his small career),

I actually think we are a really good team and see no reason to *****. Do we need some help on defence? Sure. Do the majority of other NHL clubs also have needs? Hell ya. **** it. Enjoy the season I think we are on the road for a good one.

What does it matter that Karlsson is still PPG if he keeps making mistakes like this every game? Getting walked every other game it seems now and defensive lapses.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Biggest problem is teams coming through the neutral zone against us way too easily. It was really clear in this game. Pretty much every time one of our forwards skated over the Wings' blue line they had 3 or 4 players taking away space. When other teams come over our blue line they are often getting no pressure at all from backchecking forwards.

pageaus tooth

Jul 14, 2011
WGS84 Zone 13N
I watched the entire game and I can't remember feeling so frustrated. Some of the obvious:
-confidence is an issue, they are overplaying at times not willing to shoot
-the defense is a tire fire....Karlsson needs to pick his spots a little better, he gets caught being aggressive and it often leads to something (ie. fuel for the mouth-breathers on the main board)
-2nd Pairing: they who shall remain nameless
-I will never throw Andy under the bus, but he needs to have that goal
-reffing as per all games was inconsistent, let a lot go, but called it pretty tight at times and missed some obvious calls that led to goals
-they didn't quit and fought back for a point, they would have won if they would have been more consistent with their effort through 60 minutes
-how does a team that deserved the win against the Rangers playing a high tempo game on Saturday come out 2 days later and play like they are skating in mud.
-Stone probably had his worst night in a long time
Postitives: collectively they have not put a complete game together (maybe the rangers on the weekend) and they are still 2nd in the division. They definitely have more to give and if they can only put it together win or lose I will be satisfied.
-Lazar had a good game, the points will come
-a couple of pieces away from contending and patience will be a key, those pieces are already in the system

pageaus tooth

Jul 14, 2011
WGS84 Zone 13N
Biggest problem is teams coming through the neutral zone against us way too easily. It was really clear in this game. Pretty much every time one of our forwards skated over the Wings' blue line they had 3 or 4 players taking away space. When other teams come over our blue line they are often getting no pressure at all from backchecking forwards.

My theory on that is the other teams are getting inside position and slowing up the forwards support of the puck. The forwards without the puck need to fight through this "soft" interference and support the puck more. Unfortunately the way the game gets called now, the opposition falls down and Ottawa get a penalty, but that is how I see it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
HOT TAKE ALERT: Ceci looks on defence, how Gagner looked on forward at Edmonton. Skill is there, but rushed into a bad situation and plays petrified every time hes on the ice.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Weircoch:shakeheadDont even think this guy can hold the 7th man ,on many teams in the nhl.Why cant we just waive him ,cant see a guy like Claesson being a worse option at this point:shakehead

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
HOT TAKE ALERT: Ceci looks on defence, how Gagner looked on forward at Edmonton. Skill is there, but rushed into a bad situation and plays petrified every time hes on the ice.

I haven't watched Gagner in a while, but doesn't he still suck?

Anyways, we need a guy to help insulate Ceci. Whether that be by moving him down to the third pair, or by providing direct support on the second pair.

Hoping Cowen can come back and replace Wier, and they can make it work. Boro isn't great, but he's much better on the Left side than the Right side, and if nothing else, he has a knack for saving sure goals by either blocking open nets or clearing pucks that trickle behind the goalie.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Long time lurker but my opinion is that our struggles actually do fall on the forwards more so then the defense. Yes, the defense has struggled obviously but when you're playing in your own zone most of the night that's going to happen.

Our first 2 lines have been okay but the drop off to me is the third line. Last season the third line brought energy and a sustained forecheck that the whole team fed off of. That's non existent this season. Any defense will struggle when the forwards can't get a sustained forecheck going and right now that's the case.

I think this is accurate. Our team defence is bad in general, but our bottom 6 just isn't up to snuff. I'm still not sold on Pageau in a third line role and there is very little offence coming from outside the top 2 lines.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Weircoch:shakeheadDont even think this guy can hold the 7th man ,on many teams in the nhl.Why cant we just waive him ,cant see a guy like Claesson being a worse option at this point:shakehead

I honestly wonder what our call up priority looks like. I'm guessing Kostka is ahead of Claesson because of NHL experience.

Anyways, it's kinda irrelevant as Kostka, Claesson, and any other call-up Dman would be our 3rd pair option, and while they might be better than Wier these days, so are Boro and Cowen (just not so much together).

Wier simply isn't performing as a top 4 D, and needs to either get bumped down the lineup or out of it until he can get his act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad