GDT: Wings @ Sens 7:30pm TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Goaltending was baaaaaad tonight

Anderson has really been fighting the puck lately. His rebound control looks like Lehner...

How long is Hammond out for?

So which goals should he have saved?

The larkin one, and....

What a play by Larkin.... To be able to read that Andy was cheating after last game where larkin burned him on the rap around. The rook took the vet to school. He is a special player really reminds me of Toews. Hockey sense, pace, compete, skill man oh man. I think its so ironic that Babcock was complaining after the playoff loss to the lighting. He was saying that the only way teams can land franchise players is to bottom out and boom he leaves and one lands in his lap. Two picks away the sens were from grabbing him (who knows if he was on their radar).

Speaking of that pick I thought Lazar had a great game. He is a heavy player and boy does he work hard all over the ice, imagine Zibbys skill with Lazar's attitude/skating/work ethic. This is why I have hope for him Lazar is going to work on his hands and is only getting stronger and faster.

I was at this game and sat in 3 different vantage points I have to say Chiasson looked horrible from every single one of them. I sat in the 400's, 200's then 300's. I bet at ice level he looks ok because he is big, skates well and hard but he is a just a play killer. Too mentally slow to react and no sense of where the play is going. He doesn't have the hockey sense to play in this league as a regular contributor. That penalty too at the end of the game #whatanidiot. He had a line on the puck carrier instead of just finishing his check and taking the puck he slashes the stick RIGHT in front of the ref. Right after that coach puts him back on and he gets caught i his own zone and rims the puck to his D man... I honestly think he should come out and Prince should be in. This team needs a third line that is going to really dominate posession with speed. Prince Pageau Lazar lets see it!

Huh? Detroit cherry picked and got lucky that they managed to turn over the bobbling puck. You gotta take chances in 3 on 3, and in that case, both teams did, they came out on top. Sure we could have played for the draw, but what's the point?

3 on 3 OT is not about playing safe.

This, the team was lucky to get the point ill take it. Wier looks like a 12 year old vegetarian out there. No assertiveness even at passing the puck, holy hell knock someone down infront... The amount this team need another top 3 guy to anchor the 2nd pair is insane. Look what it did for Montreal with Petry! Murray needs to pull the trigger it would change the entire dynamic of the team.

Boro and Wideman were great tonight! Cant ask for more than that from your third pair. Boro was mean!!! Knocking guys down getting in lanes making it miserable on detroit. He really seems to excel when playing with a strong puck mover.

Wideman moves the puck so well!!! Even better than Karl (not better at breaking out just passing) he draws the opposition in every time. No matter what he always beats at least one man with a pass. Example. At the end of the third period he got a gernade of a D to D pass in the sens zone that was bouncing. With a forchecker right on him, instead of just firing it up the boards he corralled it sucked the forchecker in spun around to his back hand and moved it to boro. Now it looked like a simple play but just try and imagine Boro on his wrong side taking that pass.... Could have been a break away.

His gap control is also very strong he made a great read in the second period in the neutral zone. He saw back pressure coming from a sens forward which allowed him to cut off the middle lane and did not allow the RW to make a pass to the center for Zetterberg. Boro stepped up on the winger boom neutral zone turnover.

If the third pair can play like this and the sens get another legit D man to anchor the 2nd pair this is a NEW team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To be fair to Chiasson on the slashing call late in the game, that's a "slash" that every player makes a half dozen times in a game to win a puck battle. It's just that with composite sticks, they'll explode from a love tap if they are remotely weakend prior. The slashing the stick rule along with the puck over the glass rule are area's where a ref needs to be given discresion imo.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To be fair to Chiasson on the slashing call late in the game, that's a "slash" that every player makes a half dozen times in a game to win a puck battle. It's just that with composite sticks, they'll explode from a love tap if they are remotely weakend prior. The slashing the stick rule along with the puck over the glass rule are area's where a ref needs to be given discresion imo.

How long has he been playing with one piece sticks.... It was a really stupid decision. He also came in really hard on it.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
How long has he been playing with one piece sticks.... It was a really stupid decision. He also came in really hard on it.

Yeah, that was a stupid move, but it's not like other people on the team don't take stupid penalties. Ahem....Smith.

What I've been saying for a while is what you outlined in your previous post about Chiasson. This guy is such a line and play killer it's not funny. That's what I will hold against him more so than the occasional stupid penalty, which he seems to be guilty of.

Milo - JGP - Lazar should be a line. Get Chiasson on the fourth line and play him 8 min. He works hard, but no results.

Urkie

Mar 21, 2007
I think this is accurate. Our team defence is bad in general, but our bottom 6 just isn't up to snuff. I'm still not sold on Pageau in a third line role and there is very little offence coming from outside the top 2 lines.

I'm not sold on him either. He's not skilled enough to be a top 6 which makes him a bottom 6 automatically. His game isn't suited to be a shutdown, grinder type of player either. At times he can be but I don't think he can consistently be that type of player. Players like that always tend to move from team to team. I know I might receive flak for it but Zack Smith is more suited for that role then Pageau is.

I think Chiasson is another player like that also. He's built to be a top 6 guy but he doesn't use any of the attributes that could make him a top 6. His hockey IQ is suspect to say the least. I don't forsee him being an NHL player for very much longer. He's just not good at anything quite honestly.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We're getting there. Give the coach ten more games and he'll figure it out.

The Coach is a pro and getting paid; whereas we are amateur commentators. He should not need 10 more games. I think he needs to watch more video and take action asap to address the issues we are seeing. Hopefully Cowen is healed if he does have an injury and draws in next game. Wiercioch needs to be traded / upgraded. Wideman seems to have the magic touch right now and the teams should use that to advantage.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
One more Marc Methot would do wonders for this team.

While Methot is decent defensively, he is a black hole offensively. I would rather wish for someone better offensively who can play decent defense.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I have felt for a number of years now that the penalty for shooting the puck over the glass should be waived for the first occurence by each team during a game. A warning would be given to the offending team. Same could be done for that type of slash too, given the stick propensity to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad