GDT: Wings @ Hawks 5pm NBC sports chicago (Chelios jersey retirement night)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
While Dickinson's faceoff numbers have gone up since coming here, Foligno's have dropped significantly.
Nick isn't even really a C though. He has 3x as many faceoffs this year (246) vs last year (72).

His numbers will obviously go down as he takes more and more faceoffs, and face offs against better players than he did last year.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nick isn't even really a C though. He has 3x as many faceoffs this year (246) vs last year (72).

His numbers will obviously go down as he takes more and more faceoffs, and face offs against better players than he did last year.

Well, sure. Then you have to wonder why he takes so many faceoffs when Bedard is on the ice...

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Well, sure. Then you have to wonder why he takes so many faceoffs when Bedard is on the ice...
Because they like running Bedard off the half-wall on o-zone draws, which, without looking at the numbers, I would guess are like 60%+ of that line's faceoffs

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Because they like running Bedard off the half-wall on o-zone draws, which, without looking at the numbers, I would guess are like 60%+ of that line's faceoffs
Completely anecdotal and I have no numbers to back this up but it "feels" like the Bedard line has been on for a lot more defensive zone draws the past month or so.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Any thoughts on Toews missing the Chelios ceremony?

Mine are either he is VERY sickly and can't travel or he's a major Dbag

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Any thoughts on Toews missing the Chelios ceremony?

Mine are either he is VERY sickly and can't travel or he's a major Dbag

I honestly have no idea. I've heard nothing. He hasn't been around the team at all. Might be taking it personally that the Hawks didn't want to sign him. Didn't he say he planned on playing this season or some such? Could be anything really.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I honestly have no idea. I've heard nothing. He hasn't been around the team at all. Might be taking it personally that the Hawks didn't want to sign him. Didn't he say he planned on playing this season or some such? Could be anything really.
He said he was taking the year off to try to get healthy, but not for sure ending his career

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not reading into it too much, maybe he had prior plans, and it's not like he played with Chelios or was super close with him.

It's certainly strange, considering all the other core members were there. Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, and Hossa were all in attendance.

It was also the Kane tribute, which is why I'm guessing you saw all of those guys, even though none of them played with Chelios.

His absence is certainly notable.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's certainly strange, considering all the other core members were there. Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, and Hossa were all in attendance.

It was also the Kane tribute, which is why I'm guessing you saw all of those guys, even though none of them played with Chelios.

His absence is certainly notable.
Not saying it isn't. But it could be easily explained that he had prior plans or was sick, not like he knew Kane would be there until November, all I meant was I doubt he is planning to be there for Chelios himself.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Not saying it isn't. But it could be easily explained that he had prior plans or was sick, not like he knew Kane would be there until November, all I meant was I doubt he is planning to be there for Chelios himself.
Either sick or busy, it would have been nice and would have been acknowledged by Cheli, if longtime O6 captain would have sent a message to another longtime O6 captain on the retiring of his jersey.

Makes me think it was my 2nd conclusion.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Either sick or busy, it would have been nice and would have been acknowledged by Cheli, if longtime O6 captain would have sent a message to another longtime O6 captain on the retiring of his jersey.

Makes me think it was my 2nd conclusion.
Maybe he did? A text, or call? Maybe he did it well in advance. Lol seems silly to talk about considering we know nothing of their personal lives.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Nothing with Toews is ever easily explained.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I think Toews is doing a lot worse than he is letting on. He was an extremely competitive player that had his career halted in its tracks by health issues that aren't easily explainable. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Long Covid, etc are all sort of "umbrella" diagnoses that don't have definitive treatments and recovery timetables.

The end result is that he wasn't able to end his time in the NHL on his own terms. For someone who has been laser focused on playing professional hockey since he was a young boy, he is probably going through a lot at the moment.

Reactions: scorehawks

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Bit of a reach to say he’s a dbag for not being there. I mean maybe he is, but we don’t know enough details to make that judgement.
Guy gave his all to this team and led them to 3 cups. He's personally my favourite Hawk all time.
None of us know ultimately what is going on with Toews' health. To call him a dbag is just not cool. I still would love to know what went down with KD deciding to move on without the dynamic dual .. was it just time? Minimally Kane and Bedard would be so much fun to watch and a still healthy Toews would have been even better.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do believe he said he's either sick OR he's a d-bag. If he's healthy and just didn't show up, it's a pretty big d-bag move. Hard to disagree with that. All of the other guys made the trip, I'm guessing mostly for Kaner. Even Seabrook, who is seeing his number retired without a mention of him. Him being "busy" isn't an excuse to miss it when they were all there, IMO.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hossa lives in Slovakia and he made it. Toews not being there is notable. I won't guess on what he did or didn't tell people about it

Reactions: Pez68

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I do believe he said he's either sick OR he's a d-bag. If he's healthy and just didn't show up, it's a pretty big d-bag move. Hard to disagree with that. All of the other guys made the trip, I'm guessing mostly for Kaner. Even Seabrook, who is seeing his number retired without a mention of him. Him being "busy" isn't an excuse to miss it when they were all there, IMO.
I don't get why it's a douchebag move. He could have easily sent his regards to Kane and Chelios and not wanted to make the trip. That's his decision. He wants to stay away from hockey this season. It's only the people that disliked him near the end of his career that seem to care.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think Hossa lives in Chicago. Rich enough that he no doubt has residence in Slovakia as well and likely splits time, but isn't he an official Blackhawks Ambassador? Seems like he's around a lot.

A good number of guys stay in Chicago. I think Michal Rozsival of all people, a Czech guy that played like 3 or 4 seasons here, is now an Asst. Coach for the Chicago Mission youth team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad