GDT: Wings at Rangers | November 29

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
We’re seriously blaming officiating on that one? And Husso? Seriously?
I don't agree with blaming Husso - I though he was fine. I still prefer Lyon's calmer style, but whatever.

The refs affected momentum, which a great team can ignore. The Wings aren't great. Yet. Couple of years from now the refs won't matter. Tonight, IMO, they mattered.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
We don't play them until April, at least it'll be in Detroit. Hopefully we can get some payback.

Who cares, Rangers are insignificant. Wings easily win this game if Larkin and Ghost played.

NY Rangers have been and still are the most irrelevant hockey franchise in the league since forever. Surprised they haven't moved to Atlanta, Ga. or New Orleans by now.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
We’re seriously blaming officiating on that one? And Husso? Seriously?

first-time-meme.gif

people here blame the refs literally every single time the Wings lose

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
The hit on Ghost should have been a 5 minute penalty. No call on the hit on Debrincat and the reverse call on the high stick on Raymond was questionable and even the high stick on the winning goal was questionable. TNT was f???ing brutal.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
All in all
The hit on Ghost should have been a 5 minute penalty. No call on the hit on Debrincat and the reverse call on the high stick on Raymond was questionable and even the high stick on the winning goal was questionable. TNT was f???ing brutal.
The Raymond one was embarrassing. For Raymond. He did have his hand on his stick.

Oct 18, 2006
Just finished watching. Wow that commentary was disgusting. Just disgusting. The referring not much better. This game just made me really angry. I actually have developed a real hate for NY. Really wanted to win this one. Do we have a game against them at LCA this season?

I love Rasmussen bur man he was terrible. He’s not skating well at all, and to me that was the major improvement in his game last season.

Berggren is all offence, zero defence. Not sure what to make of his future. Sprong was flying out there and deserved a lot more TOI.

I also wish Seider skated hard all the time, sometimes he borderline floats.

Reactions: 13to40 and lgrws91

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So Rangers had 2 home games against us an we have only 1 home against them ?

Damn schedule.

Imo, NYR is the team to beat at East currently. They did blowout Boston too 7-4.

We played a good game. Lost for a very strong team. Not worried about all, how this season will turn around.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Just finished watching. Wow that commentary was disgusting. Just disgusting. The referring not much better. This game just made me really angry. I actually have developed a real hate for NY. Really wanted to win this one. Do we have a game against them at LCA this season?

I love Rasmussen bur man he was terrible. He’s not skating well at all, and to me that was the major improvement in his game last season.

Berggren is all offence, zero defence. Not sure what to make of his future. Sprong was flying out there and deserved a lot more TOI.

I also wish Seider skated hard all the time, sometimes he borderline floats.
Fabbri, Sprong, Perron, now Kane are current Wings that have made careers while being trash defensively. Bergie is fine.

Vesey should be moved up to the line with Mika and Kreider. He has enough skill and is solid 2 way forward that can open space for them.

Don't think that's warranted at all really. Being an opportunistic MFer deep in the lineup is clearly working for him.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I will say there was two clear hits directly in the back to players. (Gostisbehere/Debrincat)

The high-stick call(thats a non-reviewable play) gets reversed by official review. Wild.

Red Wings did suck. They probably should have had 5 or 6 goals on them, Husso played good. I think with the powers plays at the end they had, Wings should of walked with a point.

Disappointing; Chicago's got to be a big bounce back.

Reactions: theYman and lgrws91

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fabbri, Sprong, Perron, now Kane are current Wings that have made careers while being trash defensively. Bergie is fine.

Everyboy does not have to be Selke-caliber at hockey team. Especially the highest forecheking forward/winger. If four other guys have a role to stay down at 5-man unit, that's enough.

1 guy is always always slotted higher, and those usually get blaimed of "bad defence". And it's more of a role to stay high and forecheck deep. Those are usually the best offensive threats, that's their job.

If we would have 8 forwards of this type, and playing that way, then it becomes a problem. But four guys, 1 per line, that's just a regular setup.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I love how complaining about refs automatically means you are saying it was the reason for the loss.

With how weird the Wings PP is I don't expect those calls to change the outcome, but you better believe I'm gonna complain about missed boardings.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I will say there was two clear hits directly in the back to players. (Gostisbehere/Debrincat)

The high-stick call(thats a non-reviewable play) gets reversed by official review. Wild.

The hits from behind were very frustrating, but more frustrating was listening to Boucher completely absolve the Rangers from any blame on plays were they executed an illegal hit.

And the high stick was reviewable. Because Raymond ended up cut, it was announced as a double minor for high sticking and double minors are reviewable. The officiating actually got that play right, though again Boucher made a jackass out of himself for insisting that Raymond would intentionally hit himself in the face with an opponent's stick while in possession of the puck... as if Raymond's goal is to cut himself open instead of, I don't know, try to beat his defender and generate offense

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC

Damn schedule.

Imo, NYR is the team to beat at East currently. They did blowout Boston too 7-4.

We played a good game. Lost for a very strong team. Not worried about all, how this season will turn around.
We play the Rangers at LCA on April 5th.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The hits from behind were very frustrating, but more frustrating was listening to Boucher completely absolve the Rangers from any blame on plays were they executed an illegal hit.

And the high stick was reviewable. Because Raymond ended up cut, it was announced as a double minor for high sticking and double minors are reviewable. The officiating actually got that play right, though again Boucher made a jackass out of himself for insisting that Raymond would intentionally hit himself in the face with an opponent's stick while in possession of the puck... as if Raymond's goal is to cut himself open instead of, I don't know, try to beat his defender and generate offense

It was like the announcers were holding it all in until the 3rd period and then went full Olczyk

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

i'm still iffy on that call but not going to argue crazy about it.

Just think about it in physics glasses. The way he was trying to throw the stick was not up. It was more back towards the player or out. I still think the player had control of the stick, felt raymond grab it and try to snatch it back by flicking it up.

Best way I know how to describe the motion: It's like when you are being stick checked from behind. Some players just keep their stick down with more force so the stick check doesn't matter as much. Others (kind of like D and Z) would use their body or leg to block it from hindering their shot. But some keep flicking their stick up to try to avoid the stick check everytime the other player is trying to hit their stick. Like on a breakaway, someone keeps hitting your stick from behind so you move your arm upwards as a kind of SONK situation.

Tried to find a video on it but can't really find one for something like this. Either way, Raymond's hand was on his stick so I don't fault the refs for going the way they did, I just don't think it is as cut and dry and I understand why Lalonde was upset about it. No one (especially respectable players like raymond) just grab a stick and hit themselves with it even by accident. Thats an Avery or Marchand move.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Damn schedule.

They're only 6 points ahead at the infant stage start of the season. If they go on 3 game losing streak along with some teams in the East going on a hot streak, they'll fall in the standings like the Titanic.

I wasn't that impressed with them. Wings were without Larkin and Ghost (half the game)... they won by a lucky goal and our AHL call-up didn't cover his man on another. I've been watching hockey since mid 90s and Rangers have always been irrelevant to me. There's no passion or hate between these two teams. Last nights game was a boring lull fest.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
All in all
The Raymond one was embarrassing. For Raymond. He did have his hand on his stick.
I still would like someone to explain how the control of your stick works in this scenario. He is trying to throw it out of his midsection, I have never really seen it and like I said in game I would love an officials explanation.

We have seen guys stick lift a high stick into a player it still counts. The way I have understood the rule my whole life is you’re always responsible for your stick. TNT confused me a little with that, well he only has one hand on his stick while reaching so you cannot expect him to control it while Raymond tries to throw it away. A part of this on their part also is the idea he was doing it intentionally which doesn’t make sense. Clearly they overturned it, will go back to looking up the NHL rulebook but like my understanding my whole life is you’re in charge of controlling your stick at all times.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I love how complaining about refs automatically means you are saying it was the reason for the loss.

With how weird the Wings PP is I don't expect those calls to change the outcome, but you better believe I'm gonna complain about missed boardings.
Missing a major penalty is a lot different. Usually even the most anemic power play is getting one over five minutes. It also completely messes up their bench for a huge chunk.

The reason long double minors and majors are reviewable comes down to this logic that after the San Jose vs Vegas game that it is incredibly game altering with the PA and League acknowledging that impact. I am curious why you cannot challenge that to Toronto in this day and age. Ghosts is a clear cut five minutes in my opinion.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad