Winger Acquisition Thread | Part IV: In the Time Before Wingers Came into the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
why would Minnesota trade Clutterbuck?

Because he's a due a raise in the offseason and they're in the middle of a transition with their forward group. He hasn't been great for them this season and with how close they are to the cap, he could be moved for help on D.

I'd much rather have him here and pay him his money than bring back TK or Cooke.

Last edited:

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Is Clutterbuck even rumored to be available? I'd like to have a 3rd line built around Sutter - Clutterbuck for the next few years but I'm not sure how we'd go about acquiring him. They're not moving a fan favorite for Tyler Kennedy, that's for sure.

I do think Shero wants the 3rd line upgraded somehow (rookie - Sutter - underachieving TK is a long drop from days ago) and also to fix the L2 LW situation.

So....
1st+D prospect+Kennedy for Iginla
Niskanen for Clutterbuck

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Clutterbuck
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Jeffrey

Orpik-Martin
Despres - Letang
Engelland - Bortuzzo
Eaton
Reese

As a side note Shero was quoted the other day as saying he loves the identity of our 4th line right now. So we have that going for us...

volcom

Feb 21, 2013
What about a 3-team trade involving RoR going to anaheim (i think they want a number 2 center) and having perry go to pitt (i actually thought with anaheim not playing this week, i thought perry's agent and murray would talk about his contract). What do u guys think about this and what we would have to give up?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
What about a 3-team trade involving RoR going to anaheim (i think they want a number 2 center) and having perry go to pitt (i actually thought with anaheim not playing this week, i thought perry's agent and murray would talk about his contract). What do u guys think about this and what we would have to give up?

Perry aint going anywhere they gotta shot at the cup. At first I didnt want ROR but the more I think about it the more I like it. Can you imagine having a 3rd line of sutter and ROR on it. That would be such a great shutdown 3rd line better then the staal line we have had last few years.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is Clutterbuck even rumored to be available? I'd like to have a 3rd line built around Sutter - Clutterbuck for the next few years but I'm not sure how we'd go about acquiring him. They're not moving a fan favorite for Tyler Kennedy, that's for sure.

I do think Shero wants the 3rd line upgraded somehow (rookie - Sutter - underachieving TK is a long drop from days ago) and also to fix the L2 LW situation.

So....
1st+D prospect+Kennedy for Iginla
Niskanen for Clutterbuck

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Clutterbuck
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Jeffrey

Orpik-Martin
Despres - Letang
Engelland - Bortuzzo
Eaton
Reese

As a side note Shero was quoted the other day as saying he loves the identity of our 4th line right now. So we have that going for us...

I would have no issues with those. I am pretty much on those once the ROR situation is over. But I do doubt Sid gives up, Kunitz. Dupuis as he has been is a fine third wheel for Malkin and Neal. If any player was 1/2 of what Dupuis is doing I doubt Shero would even make a move. At least not until the actual deadline.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
i'll strike who i want to strike when i want to strike 'em. ;)

DON'T DO IT!

Keep the dream alive! If he's on the list, there's always hope. There's always a chance. Keep hope alive!

Haha. You mean the delusions of grandeur alive.

How is an unsigned, RFA Ryan O'Reilly worth a signed Kris Letang? A #2 center for one of the best #1 offensive defenseman doesn't make sense if both were signed, let alone now.

Am I missing something here, haha?

He's not worth it but if they throw in McGinn (signed through next year to a hit less than Kennedy's) and swap an earlier for a later pick with us (1st for 2nd) it might be. Especially if they miss the playoffs, which seems likely. That said I'm not sure where I stand on Letang. Always easy to get irrational after a game like last night but there is a reasonable chance he'll want the kind of raise we can't give him... Letang could return a lot though. I don't think Colorado is where I'd be looking. Anaheim is where I'd be looking. A Letang should bring a winger of equal caliber and Colorado doesn't have one. Neither does STL or MN unless they're trading Parise.

...that said if we traded him now, we're basically hanging it up in terms of playoff run. Our D would be too young / thin to have hope of anything except getting the new guys some invaluable playoff experience.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
How is an unsigned, RFA Ryan O'Reilly worth a signed Kris Letang? A #2 center for one of the best #1 offensive defenseman doesn't make sense if both were signed, let alone now.

Am I missing something here, haha?

just to play devils advocate here. i can give you a few reasons why Ryan O'Reilly could be worth a Kris Letang.

Dman prospects

1. Derrick Pouliot
2. Joe Morrow
3. Simon Depres
4. Olli Maatta
5. Scott Harrington
6. Brian Dumoulin
7. Robert Bortuzzo
8. Harrison Roupp
9. Philip Samuelsson

Forward Prosects

1. Beau Bennett

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
just to play devils advocate here. i can give you a few reasons why Ryan O'Reilly could be worth a Kris Letang.

Dman prospects

1. Derrick Pouliot
2. Joe Morrow
3. Simon Depres
4. Olli Maatta
5. Scott Harrington
6. Brian Dumoulin
7. Robert Bortuzzo
8. Harrison Roupp
9. Philip Samuelsson

Forward Prosects

1. Beau Bennett

Letang is our best defenseman, when he doesn't play, the on ice product is noticeably worse.

Letang is far more valuable to this team than any other player we could get for him, I wouldn't trade him for any forward unless that forward is being packaged with a #1 defenseman. I don't see that happening.

EDIT: You named 3 more D prospects that aren't in the discussion for "top prospects" (Bortuzzo, Samuelsson, Ruopp) so you might as well add Bluegers, Zlobin, Marcantuoni, etc. to the forward prospects list also.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
No they're not. They were at that game to scout the Flyers, I went to the Bruins board and there's a link that GMPC and GMPH had a "chat"

could just be advanced scouting, too.

Not sure we'd trade Kennedy to an Eastern team, don't wanna face him in the playoffs!!!!

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's a quick fix.

Acquire Malone, trade TK, leave Bennett on the Penguins.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Malone-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Letang
Niskanen-Engelland
Bortuzzo

Seriously, the team should seem improved with that lineup, put a gritty top 6 power forward on Malkin's line. Put a skilled RW on Crosby's line (even though he's a rookie), put a solid 2 way forward on the 3rd line with Cooke and Sutter, the 4th line is fine. Orpik-Martin is the shutdown pair, Despres-Letang is our 2nd pair, Niskanen-Engelland Bortuzzo is the 3rd pair with offense and 2 way ability on the left side, and solid, tough defense on the right side.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No, but you know he's my Kulemin.

PFFFFFFFT, why does your mancrush have to trump mine!?!?!?

:)

I've never said you couldn't have your man crush for Sid. I just want to make sure I get my man crush for Geno too. :D

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

Dman prospects

1. Derrick Pouliot
2. Joe Morrow
3. Simon Depres
4. Olli Maatta
5. Scott Harrington
6. Brian Dumoulin
7. Robert Bortuzzo
8. Harrison Roupp
9. Philip Samuelsson

Forward Prosects

1. Beau Bennett

besides the idiocy of trading a perennial norris trophy candidate, make it even worse by trading for a Center which is the last thing they need.

Crosby
Malkin
Sutter
Vitale

Nobody has a group of better centers in the NHL.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Here's a quick fix.

Acquire Malone, trade TK, leave Bennett on the Penguins.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Malone-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Despres-Letang
Niskanen-Engelland
Bortuzzo

Seriously, the team should seem improved with that lineup, put a gritty top 6 power forward on Malkin's line. Put a skilled RW on Crosby's line (even though he's a rookie), put a solid 2 way forward on the 3rd line with Cooke and Sutter, the 4th line is fine. Orpik-Martin is the shutdown pair, Despres-Letang is our 2nd pair, Niskanen-Engelland Bortuzzo is the 3rd pair with offense and 2 way ability on the left side, and solid, tough defense on the right side.

The Malone of today, especially with that cap hit, scares me a little. BUT, I will say this: Malkin wouldn't have taken a penalty last night, because Malone would've killed Couturier. I remember that time five years ago well: With Malone out there, nobody really ****** with Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad