Winger Acquisition Thread | Part IV: In the Time Before Wingers Came into the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325375

Here's what Boston paid up for Nathan Horton 3 years ago.

This is roughly what it would cost for an above average scoring winger.

A defenseman - Niskanen
A first rounder
A forward - Kennedy/Someone with more value

2.5 years ago. And he was 25 at the time. I'd pay that same price today for someone who was a 25 yr old scoring winger. And that was at the draft, not the TD.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Iggy may be getting up there but I've watched Calgary and he's still a good player and would be great here. There'd be no pressure on him and his leadership and toughness would be adored. He'd be a fan favorite in no time.

For what... 2 years when he really starts to slow down, and isn't anywhere close to being worth his cap hit? Then we have an overpaid guy that can't pull his weight.

For what we'd have to give up, it's not worth the risk.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There's a rumor that Matt Cullen could be headed to the Pens. Link

That site sucks, does it scour the web for rumors we already know and then repost them hoping to "break" some news?

----------------------------------------------------------

Cullen, I don't really know what to think about the guy right now, when Friedman commented that he has Pittsburgh written all over him, he's not really off base.

Cullen is versatile, he plays C/LW and he can play on the PK. He's also a pretty decent skater for his age and put up 39 & 35pts in a bottom 6 role for the Wild. Cullen hasn't scored 20 goals since 2008-09. That's a nice 4yrs ago.

Not sure at this point, I could see Ray trading for him to see if he fits there and if he doesn't, he's usable as a LW on the 3rd line to keep Cooke with Geno & Neal for the rest of this year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For what... 2 years when he really starts to slow down, and isn't anywhere close to being worth his cap hit? Then we have an overpaid guy that can't pull his weight.

For what we'd have to give up, it's not worth the risk.

I don't think Iginla would cost that much, Feaster would obviously sell high though, but he'd have to come back down to reality.

Iginla's age and production this year do hurt his value and he's a UFA at the end of the year. He's not some 30yr old guy that is playing half decent. He looks like his passion is off right now and no one would blame him, he's endured a lot with the Flames and maybe he's just finally had it and he's just too nice to say anything. But even Theo Fleury knew when it was time to go, Iginla needs to as well.

Iginla is missing that fire in his game, when you know your team is already out, it's hard to light that fire under your self when your career is near it's end. I have no doubt that if he joined the Penguins, that fire would be back and he'd be that Iginla that is considered one of the better RW'ers in the game.

He would just need to play his game and let Sid do the rest for leadership, he'd just need to be this year's version of Guerin.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
I definitely would love to have Iginla. Sure, he's 35, but we've recently won a cup with a vastly less skilled 35+ player on our top-line.

1st + Maatta for Iginla. Price is steep for an impending UFA, yes, but I believe the potential gain would be worth it. He may not be a long-term solution, but even if it's just 2-3 years, I believe that's plenty worth the assets given up. Could always find a way to get Stepniak involved in the deal as well, as he'd look good on our third line and would better our secondary scoring.

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Stempniak

Vast improvement to what we have now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I definitely would love to have Iginla. Sure, he's 35, but we've recently won a cup with a vastly less skilled 35+ player on our top-line.

1st + Maatta for Iginla. Price is steep for an impending UFA, yes, but I believe the potential gain would be worth it. He may not be a long-term solution, but even if it's just 2-3 years, I believe that's plenty worth the assets given up. Could always find a way to get Stepniak involved in the deal as well, as he'd look good on our third line and would better our secondary scoring.

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Stempniak

Vast improvement to what we have now.

What's the point of getting Stempniak if you have him on the 3rd line? He has a pretty good shot off the left wing for a right hand shot, he'd be a good candidate for that LW slot on Geno's line, at least worth a shot.

TK would need to go as well, not sure what Iginla and Stempniak add up to for cap space.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would still rather go after RJ Umberger, if you want to get a quality winger that's struggling for cheap, he's an easier "get" than Iginla would be.

He has 1g 3a for 4pts in 16gms. Or even Brassard.

The only issue is, he recently had a concussion this season and missed 5 games from it, which seems really short. Umberger I mean.

It would also be a good time to get Jack Johnson since Jarmo might be open to moving him.

Although Jack Johnson has put on some insane amount of weight, he's 6'1" and 231lbs. That's massive.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I would still rather go after RJ Umberger, if you want to get a quality winger that's struggling for cheap, he's an easier "get" than Iginla would be.

He has 1g 3a for 4pts in 16gms. Or even Brassard.

The only issue is, he recently had a concussion this season and missed 5 games from it, which seems really short. Umberger I mean.

It would also be a good time to get Jack Johnson since Jarmo might be open to moving him.

Although Jack Johnson has put on some insane amount of weight, he's 6'1" and 231lbs. That's massive.

What the **** would we want Jack Johnson for? There is not a defenseman in hockey who has been earning more money for showing less hockey IQ in the defensive zone.
Nor is there a player in all of hockey whose real value to a team is further from the eye test value, because he looks like a million dollars in most other ways than where it matters.

As for Umberger..... I would love him next to Malkin, but not unless Columbus retains quite a bit of salary, because Umberger eating up 4.6 million a year just mustn't happen. Moreover, if I was a Columbus fan, I absolutely would want overpayment, because that guy is soul on a team that has too little of it, and needs a lot of it to compete.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
2.5 years ago. And he was 25 at the time. I'd pay that same price today for someone who was a 25 yr old scoring winger. And that was at the draft, not the TD.

And Horton was a lock for goal totals in the upper 20's, or low 30's on a terrible Florida team.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Cullen is exactly what we don't need. We need size and toughness in the bottom 6. One skilled guy for up front. NO MORE FAST SMART PLAYERS WITH MIDDLING SKILL!

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
why do we need him tho? we have more than enough 3rd liners
He's still fast, can carry the puck, has some poise and can make plays. Another thing is that Cullen is a good two way guy and can help out Malkin with face offs. That Malkin line looks slow and looks even slower now that teams start defending Malkin while he's in the defensive zone. IMO they need someone that can skate, play up tempo and has some playmaking ability on that line.

A guy like TK can skate and works hard but its his lack of poise and passing ability that hurts him with more skilled players.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Our 2nd line has looked putrid thus far. Neither Neal nor Geno has looked particularly impressive on even strength, which is rather worrisome. I understand the need to fill that other wing with someone skilled, but that's no excuse for the lackluster even strength play of a 40+ goal scorer and the reigning league MVP.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I dont know if i even want a LH shot. If we get a winger i would like him to contribute on the PP. Only RH we have there is Letang (if not Martin plays). And Letang aint good on the PP imo. And even looking further down the depth chgart... Both Pouliot and Morrow are LH shooters. We REALLY need a RH shot tbh to make the PP even more dangerous.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm intrigued by the thought of O'Reilly on Malkin's wing.
Yeah that would be one line down and complete. I think COL wants an arm and a leg to get him though. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pens overpay with picks and prospects because he's so young but I could see COL asking for Letang. I think they want that bing a return back.

I could also see Shero going after Erik Johnson and then dealing Orpik.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Please no to Cullen. We need the cap space for bigger catch.
Like who though? I think Iggy stays with the Flames and Alfie stays with the Sens.

Cullen would be a filler for this year. Then he's off the books and maybe brought back for less until Bennett can fill a top 6 role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad