Winger Acquisition Thread | Part IV: In the Time Before Wingers Came into the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Let's say we managed to get Iginla, what would be the collective's idea on what it would cost to retain him, years and cap?

Ideally, you keep his caphit at 5 mil for 3 years. I wouldn't give him the 4th year.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Doan got 4 years at $5,300,000 and that was a hometown discount. Iginla will get at least that much and probably more. He's far superior to Doan.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
just to play devils advocate here. i can give you a few reasons why Ryan O'Reilly could be worth a Kris Letang.

Dman prospects

The value of a Norris caliber D is not determined by the presence or lack of good D prospects. It's determined solely by how good he is compared to his competition and his current contract status.

Therefore ROR by himself or ANYTHING REMOTELY close to that, is a terrible deal for us. Like, historically, Mike Milbury terrible. They would need to start throwing it other roster players, 1st rounders, etc to make it even worth discussing. Like I said though, unless they're ready to trade us Landeskog (not), there's not a single guy on that team that's close to being a fair return for Letang, including ROR.

Isn't Clowe struggling?

Yes but they're not going to trade him for anything other than a good roster player that will make some part of their team better. Kennedy doesn't qualify.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The 35+ rule and considering who he is you can go 3 years at 6.0 tops. But really I think it would be contingent on whether he gets a cup or not. He gets a cup maybe he signs for .500 less. 5.0 is probably the cut off for him in that scenario, but if he doesn't 5.5 to 6.0/6.5 if someone really is pushing for him.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Clowe, Geno and Neal would have the most goals and PIMs of any line in the league.
But maybe it would have a calming effect on Geno and Nealer.

Clowe is worse at controlling his emotions than Malkin or Neal. I've seen him sucker punch unsuspecting players numerous times when he's frustrated.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Clowe really isn't the physically imposing player he once was. Isn't a great skater and would absolutely be our most hot headed player in a Philly series.

I'd much rather go after a guy proven with Geno in Malone. Tampa holds onto a bit of his caphit, his salary isn't an issue and we send them an asset on D.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Semin just had the assist of the year. We could sure use that offensive creativity on this team.

GrouperTrooper

Jan 17, 2008
Florida
Clowe is worse at controlling his emotions than Malkin or Neal. I've seen him sucker punch unsuspecting players numerous times when he's frustrated.
. Thats what I was getting at, but its possible that Geno and Neal could leave the hot head stuff to Clowe, and just play their games.

Clowe really isn't the physically imposing player he once was. Isn't a great skater and would absolutely be our most hot headed player in a Philly series.

I'd much rather go after a guy proven with Geno in Malone. Tampa holds onto a bit of his caphit, his salary isn't an issue and we send them an asset on D.
Is Malone the player he once was? He's on the 3rd line these days when healthy, and guy hasnt been all that healthy the last few yrs. Just what the Pens need! ( Im not totally against Bugsy, just making the point).

GrouperTrooper

Jan 17, 2008
Florida
Semin just had the assist of the year. We could sure use that offensive creativity on this team.

Nah, too obvious. Low risk-high reward. We dont want those players. Ray could have had a 1 yr tryout for 7 mil, with the hope he takes a little less if it works out. RHS would also have helped the PP. But who knows maybe GMRS inquired and got shot down.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Eh, I could see Shero passing on a guy like Semin a mile away. Is what it is. He wants a certain type of player on the team.

As for Malone. He's on the third line b/c Tampa has a serious amount of talent in their top 6 nowadays. We don't need Malone to be a 30 goal guy here. We need him to win board battles and go to the net. His health isn't ideal, but he did stay healthy in the 2011 playoffs.

GrouperTrooper

Jan 17, 2008
Florida
Agreed on Semin, but he struck me as a Sykora. I think it's more DB to be honest.

I disagree slightly with Malone- but I did watch him pot 2, jan25, against the Sens- he would still be an upgrade to the Pens.

Eh, I could see Shero passing on a guy like Semin a mile away. Is what it is. He wants a certain type of player on the team.

As for Malone. He's on the third line b/c Tampa has a serious amount of talent in their top 6 nowadays. We don't need Malone to be a 30 goal guy here. We need him to win board battles and go to the net. His health isn't ideal, but he did stay healthy in the 2011 playoffs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
. Thats what I was getting at, but its possible that Geno and Neal could leave the hot head stuff to Clowe, and just play their games.

Is Malone the player he once was? He's on the 3rd line these days when healthy, and guy hasnt been all that healthy the last few yrs. Just what the Pens need! ( Im not totally against Bugsy, just making the point).

Agree about Clowe. There wouldn't have been a tenth cross check on Geno yesterday. There wouldn't have been two. Clowe would've taken care of business.

Same goes for Malone, although I can envision taking that whole cap hit next year.

I'd take Malone at a 3M hit, but to get TB to do that-- and to get a guy like Malone at that kind of cap hit-- will cost you more than the TK and a 2nd deal. I'm sure they'd take TK as a filler, but I think they'd also want a real asset added like Matta or Harrington or Bennett or a 1st. Is Malone at a 3M cap hit for this season and the next two worth that?

Tell you what . . . if Shero can't get Sid a stud winger, then get Malone at 3M, get Kulemin, put them with Geno and put Neal up with Sid and Kunitz. Something tells me, if Malone is healthy, a Malone-Malkin-Kulemin line would be pretty sick to play against.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I doubt Tampa would trade us Malone. He'd really help our team but we're not going to get that help from other potential playoff teams in the east. We'd have to overpay to even get them to consider it and I really wouldn't want to overpay for Malone.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I doubt Tampa would trade us Malone. He'd really help our team but we're not going to get that help from other potential playoff teams in the east. We'd have to overpay to even get them to consider it and I really wouldn't want to overpay for Malone.

At 4.5M, **** no. I don't even know that I'd want him at that price.

At 3M for this year and the next two, if the price was TK and one of Maatta, Harrington, or a 1st, then I'd think about it very seriously (that's the type of return Tampa could get if they ate part of Malone's deal, either from us or someone else).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Malone's salary is 3 mil this year and 2.5 the next two years. Asking Tampa to take a bit of the caphit isn't a huge deal. There's no big resigning coming up for them. It clears a spot for their younger guys and they can get help on D in the process.

It's no secret they dangled him last year. No reason to think they won't do it again especially if they get assets back that help them win now.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malone's salary is 3 mil this year and 2.5 the next two years. Asking Tampa to take a bit of the caphit isn't a huge deal. There's no big resigning coming up for them. It clears a spot for their younger guys and they can get help on D in the process.

It's no secret they dangled him last year. No reason to think they won't do it again especially if they get assets back that help them win now.

But-- and I think you'd agree-- at a 4.5M cap hit, with next year's cap at 64.3M, Malone may be a bit too much.

You'd like Tampa to eat a third of that, which they might do. But, then, the catch 22 is that Malone at a 3M cap hit has real value league wide.

IMO, Malone at a 3M cap hit, and Tampa asks for TK plus one real valuable chip (like one of Maatta, Harrington, Bennett, or a 1st).

If they put Malone out at 3M and didn't get that from Shero, they'd get it from someone else.

EDIT: Hey, see my other thought above. If you can't get Iggy or Stewart or a guy like that for Sid, then just get Malone at 3M, get Kulemin, put those two with Malkin, and slide Neal up with Sid and Kunitz. I'd hate to be the team trying to defend a Malone-Malkin-Kulie line. :)

Guins71

Mar 22, 2004
How sick would have Semin - Malkin - Neal have been. I always thought Semin was a great player. He's not the type to carry a team by himself, but in the right role he could be huge on a good team

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Malone has a say where he goes. A bottom six forward and a D prospect would get it done IMO. And I agree that two big bodies next to Geno is always a good strategy.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
But-- and I think you'd agree-- at a 4.5M cap hit, with next year's cap at 64.3M, Malone may be a bit too much.

You'd like Tampa to eat a third of that, which they might do. But, then, the catch 22 is that Malone at a 3M cap hit has real value league wide.

IMO, Malone at a 3M cap hit, and Tampa asks for TK plus one real valuable chip (like one of Maatta, Harrington, Bennett, or a 1st).

If they put Malone out at 3M and didn't get that from Shero, they'd get it from someone else.

EDIT: Hey, see my other thought above. If you can't get Iggy or Stewart or a guy like that for Sid, then just get Malone at 3M, get Kulemin, put those two with Malkin, and slide Neal up with Sid and Kunitz. I'd hate to be the team trying to defend a Malone-Malkin-Kulie line. :)

Yeah, but how many teams would he accept a trade to? He still has a NTC for this year, at least.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
BTW- Anyone watch Florida vs. Philly? Florida is just playing the puck and staying composed... guess what is happening.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malone has a say where he goes. A bottom six forward and a D prospect would get it done IMO. And I agree that two big bodies next to Geno is always a good strategy.

At 4.5M or 3M. At 4.5M, definitely. At 3M, it will need to be Maatta or Harrington caliber at least, and they might ask for Bennett or a 1st instead.

Yeah, but how many teams would he accept a trade to? He still has a NTC for this year, at least.

True, but after this year, it becomes limited, and if Tampa then offered him at 3M to the teams where he could be moved, then IMO one or more of them offer a nice price.

As I keep saying about players league wide, the whole eating part of the cap hit angle changes things.

What's Malone worth at 4.5M? What if it were 3M.

Want Cammallerri at 6M? No thanks. What if Calgary at half his salary? IMO, he's a target several teams would bid for, especially with a 3M cap hit the following year too in that scenario.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
BTW- Anyone watch Florida vs. Philly? Florida is just playing the puck and staying composed... guess what is happening.
And we'll probably destroy Florida. We play down to Philly so horribly. They prey on the fact that this team has no mental toughness.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

But that would require good coaching and at least some healthy fear of what happen to you if you hurt the team by straying away from a quality game plan, you know like it was here when Michel Therrien was in charge. Can't help but be jealous of Hab's fans these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad