Post-Game Talk: wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
They are never on the same page.

No one knows what their teammates are doing. There is no cohesion. It's a free for all... but when all 5 skaters take initiative and attack, our top6 talent begins to shine. When they don't and it's 1v5, we look flat, stagnant and lost, similar to tonight. .

IMO that's the problem without have guidelines/system. People get lost and end up trying to read/react. Everyone can see something different. It can look lazy but it's possibly a processing problem.

If f1/f2/f3/d1/d2 knew their distinctive roles in any given scenario, within the teams system/gameplan, it's easier for the player to execute and do his job. Easier decisions leads to playing faster. If all players move as a cohesive, predictable unit, puck movement becomes way more easy. If you know you will have a certain support with the puck, you can make more confident plays.

When 3-4 players are standing still at any given time, we get our O-Zone offense, for the most part.... uninspired and lazy.

This isn't one simple fix for this season.... There's a giant mess right now, X's and O's wise. The only hope is that the team gives max effort every game....... we all know that's not happening. Gallant has been way too soft
Agreeeeeeeeee. There's no structure at all. It's pond hockey. This coach is so bad. Why is it so hard to hire a good coach. I just don't get it. Hockey is hockey, why are some of these malcontents trying to to reinvent the wheel. Simple stupid structure. This is why I loved Torts and even Renney. There was structure. Vigneault and Gallant are too hands off. Quinn was just... dude should never have left BU. NCAA is where he belonged. Can we just hire a coach who has a brain and actually COACHES his team. Never should have let Sullivan go.

After the camps Rydahl and Carpenter had, cutting Rydahl in favor of Carpenter should have been enough evidence Gallant belongs in a home playing mahjong instead of coaching an NHL team.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Lol ... punishment for the fans!

Our guys are so focused on doing something clever when nothing's available that they can't quickly seize on actual opportunities. Hard to watch without a lot of cussing.
It’s infuriating to watch. I’d love to see some dirty, drive to the net plays let alone goals. Goat can’t be the only one doing it. Its like they’re allergic to the front of the net.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
At the beginning of last season when a reporter asked Gallant about Fox’s playing time, Gallant said well he not going to be playing 25 minutes a night. Yet here we are.
Last season was all the stars aligned in perfect order in our favor.
It sad that so many members of our management and coaching staff with all their years of experience can’t see that.
We should be thankful of the experience it gave our core youth and kept going in that direction and not to be fooled into thinking we are contenders.
Vesey, Carpenter mistakes.
Vinnie Trocheck with a long term deal another mistake.
I bought into too. After that opening night win over Tampa I thought wow, what a team but now I believe I was just caught up in the excitement of the end of last season.
I planning on accepting that this is going to be a long frustrating year.
Hope I’m proven wrong. Will eat that crow with a smile on my face.

Deleted member 23124

Agreeeeeeeeee. There's no structure at all. It's pond hockey. This coach is so bad. Why is it so hard to hire a good coach. I just don't get it. Hockey is hockey, why are some of these malcontents trying to to reinvent the wheel. Simple stupid structure. This is why I loved Torts and even Renney. There was structure. Vigneault and Gallant are too hands off. Quinn was just... dude should never have left BU. NCAA is where he belonged. Can we just hire a coach who has a brain and actually COACHES his team. Never should have let Sullivan go.

After the camps Rydahl and Carpenter had, cutting Rydahl in favor of Carpenter should have been enough evidence Gallant belongs in a home playing mahjong instead of coaching an NHL team.
Rangers have played the same infuriating style through 2-3 coaches......you want a new coach, you will also need new players.

Reactions: Galvatron

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And also, like, we knew we had holes and literally couldn't fill them. There's no cap space in this league.

Here's the thing they have holes but what team doesn't? Last year's Avs is the closest I guess. Also, Mika has great stats but the dude has 0 goals 5 on 5 on the season. That line looks good analytically but when you're second best forward has 0 goals 5 on 5 how is that not an issue?

Reactions: Cmox and egelband

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Here's the thing they have holes but what team doesn't? Last year's Avs is the closest I guess. Also, Mika has great stats but the dude has 0 goals 5 on 5 on the season. That line looks good analytically but when you're second best forward has 0 goals 5 on 5 how is that not an issue?
It is a big issue but it's also comically unlucky. Hopefully that starts to turn around sooner than later.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
1. It's mental. There are a LOT of coasting veterans right now who are not putting in the shifts they are paid to do.

2. The lack of proper structure (weak X and O coaching, in all zones) is really biting the team and not helping the players at all.

Fox physically bumped into Zib and Panarin at different times. The team should not look this disjointed at this stage of the season. I think point 2 is leading to point 1. You don't have to be Barry Trotz and bore the team to death with attention to detail, but you can't be at the other end either.
I will just say that for point 2 I am more often starting to question if it is a coach issue or a player issue bc this seems to be the same thing we have heard for 2-3 different coaching staffs.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
This team reminds me a lot of 2013-14. It's going to take time but they're going to work it out and find their stride. At the very least, I'm confident Igor will get back to his level and that goes a hell of a long way, as we've seen for almost 20 years straight at this point.

For all the doom and gloom (lottery pick aspirations, really?) we continue to bank points and stay in the mix. Tonight we lost A point, not 2.

Tonight was a bad game, it wasn't terrible. This team showed way too much guts last year for me to believe that a middling (not terrible!) start to this season isn't something they'll be able to overcome.

And for everyone who wants gallant fired... I just can't fathom what your logic is. Either a) you wanted him gone last year and still want him gone even though everything we sucked at last year has improved, and everything we were good at is in a rut -- in which case, you're being very inconsistent or b) you suddenly want to fire a coach because after 13 (!) games into a season his team is *checks notes* third in their division and lost a game in overtime to a team that just smacked the apparently better than us Islanders???

Take a breath y'all. It's a long season, have a little room for some optimism, or at least have a little curiosity to look past your disappointment and wonder if maybe things could be worse and could get better...

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This team reminds me a lot of 2012-13. It's going to take time but they're going to work it out and find their stride. At the very least, I'm confident Igor will get back to his level and that goes a hell of a long way, as we've seen for almost 20 years straight at this point.

For all the doom and gloom (lottery pick aspirations, really?) we continue to bank points and stay in the mix. Tonight we lost A point, not 2.

Tonight was a bad game, it wasn't terrible. This team showed way too much guts last year for me to believe that a middling (not terrible!) start to this season isn't something they'll be able to overcome.

And for everyone who wants gallant fired... I just can't fathom what your logic is. Either a) you wanted him gone last year and still want him gone even though everything we sucked at last year has improved, and everything we were good at is in a rut -- in which case, you're being very inconsistent or b) you suddenly want to fire a coach because after 13 (!) games into a season his team is *checks notes* third in their division and lost a game in overtime to a team that just smacked the apparently better than us Islanders???

Take a breath y'all. It's a long season, have a little room for some optimism, or at least have a little curiosity to look past your disappointment and wonder if maybe things could be worse and could get better...

The 2012-13 team got its stride after the Gaborik trade because he was playing like shit and Brassard was a revelation. What would the equivalent be this year? A Kreider trade?

Reactions: egelband

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
The 2012-13 team got its stride after the Gaborik trade because he was playing like shit and Brassard was a revelation. What would the equivalent be this year? A Kreider trade?
Lol I meant the 13-14 team

And to that effect I really do think it's just going to take a while for the right combinations to emerge. But more than anything, pucks need to start going in, and the goalies need to improve. Lundqvist had a tough start to that year, and Biron got retired. The zucc-brassard-pouliot line didn't get put together until late November iirc. Zuccarello was even scratched before that game I think.

Jmho but sometimes things have to go badly for them to improve. This team had a great season, but they needed to address A LOT of holes in their game and as much as we can think the rosters been pretty stable, Kakko and laf in top 6 roles is new and adds new elements that take time to acclimate. Trochek as well.

I could always be wrong but I think this team will come out of this for the better and be a much stronger contender than they were last season if they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lol I meant the 13-14 team

I guess, I had that feeling before these last two games because they'd dominate play and then lose. I specifically remember a 1-0 loss to the Sharks when they dominated but I think it was Jones made like 40+ saves. But I don't know if that's the case lately. Though I gave them a break against the Bruins. Today's loss was inexcusable. Then against that 14-15 team was just about .500 through December.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Next game, put the kid line back together. Make them the top unit 5v5.

Put vets with the vets and when they play bad, make poor decisions, or get lazy bench them.

Put Kreids with Zib and Blais
Put goody with Tro and Bread.
Leftovers on the 4th.

When a line stops playing the right way. SIT THEM.

Team is asking too much of Kakko playing him
With lazy vets or with Bread who demands the puck at all times.

Put Laffy back on left and get him more touches away from Bread too.

It’s funny how no youngsters look good playing Bread isn’t it? Makes ya think…

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Next game, put the kid line back together. Make them the top unit 5v5.

Put vets with the vets and when they play bad, make poor decisions, or get lazy bench them.

Put Kreids with Zib and Blais
Put goody with Tro and Bread.
Leftovers on the 4th.

When a line stops playing the right way. SIT THEM.

Team is asking too much of Kakko playing him
With lazy vets or with Bread who demands the puck at all times.

Put Laffy back on left and get him more touches away from Bread too.

It’s funny how no youngsters look good playing Bread isn’t it? Makes ya think…
It would probably be a good idea to move Lafreniere off that line but the problem is there are no good options to replace him with so it's a tough spot.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I guess, I had that feeling before these last two games because they'd dominate play and then lose. I specifically remember a 1-0 loss to the Sharks when they dominated but I think it was Jones made like 40+ saves. But I don't know if that's the case lately. Though I gave them a break against the Bruins. Today's loss was inexcusable. Then against that 14-15 team was just about .500 through December.
tbh I've never seen a loss on this board that was regarded as 'excusable'. I thought that was the whole joke when people say every game is a must-win.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
tbh I've never seen a loss on this board that was regarded as 'excusable'. I thought that was the whole joke when people say every game is a must-win.

I mean, I didn't like the last game but it was the first game they got outshot by any significant margin all season and the Bruins were hot. But coming off that game you'd like to see the team keep a f***ing 2 goal lead against a team that while better is not that good. Same team lost 8-3 recently. I know Buffalo is good this season but that's still pathetic.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I mean, I didn't like the last game but it was the first game they got outshot by any significant margin all season and the Bruins were hot. But coming off that game you'd like to see the team keep a f***ing 2 goal lead against a team that while better is not that good. Same team lost 8-3 recently. I know Buffalo is good this season but that's still pathetic.
The Red Wings also beat the powerhouse Devils and Islanders...

It's been a pretty wacky start for a lot of teams this season. Basically its Boston, Vegas, and then everybody else. Even Arizona and Chicago and Montreal are getting points against good teams. I'm just saying, the Rangers are playing pretty meh and they're still in it. A few more saves and a few more goals and we're right near the top. OTOH it's actually hard to justify imagining less saves and less goals than what we've gotten so far.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Red Wings also beat the powerhouse Devils and Islanders...

It's been a pretty wacky start for a lot of teams this season. Basically its Boston, Vegas, and then everybody else. Even Arizona and Chicago and Montreal are getting points against good teams. I'm just saying, the Rangers are playing pretty meh and they're still in it. A few more saves and a few more goals and we're right near the top. OTOH it's actually hard to justify imagining less saves and less goals than what we've gotten so far.
The Devils are actually really good. They would have been good last year if they got anything resembling pro goaltending.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laf has always worried me, just don't see the high end skill. I'm sorry you guys can blast me, I just don't see it.

Even when Kakko was a ghost, he'd have his moments of just puck domination. You saw more of it last season, but he was snake bitten with injuries, he's stringing games together this year and it's fun to watch. Laf just seems like a guy. I don't see high end skills, I'm sorry just the truth, and I hope the kid proves me wrong, want nothing but the best for the kid.

That’s where I’m at.

I just don’t see the asset that could make Laf dominant.
With Kakko in his previous years you could see the puck skills/strenght on the puck here or there.

It’s weird what happened to Laf going from juniors to NHL

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
The curve isn't linear. Just look at Tampa Bay and what they had to go through to win. They even missed the playoffs in the 2016-2017 season.
I think we made a big mistake by signing Kreider.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
They are never on the same page.

No one knows what their teammates are doing. There is no cohesion. It's a free for all... but when all 5 skaters take initiative and attack, our top6 talent begins to shine. When they don't and it's 1v5, we look flat, stagnant and lost, similar to tonight. .

IMO that's the problem without have guidelines/system. People get lost and end up trying to read/react. Everyone can see something different. It can look lazy but it's possibly a processing problem.

If f1/f2/f3/d1/d2 knew their distinctive roles in any given scenario, within the teams system/gameplan, it's easier for the player to execute and do his job. Easier decisions leads to playing faster. If all players move as a cohesive, predictable unit, puck movement becomes way more easy. If you know you will have a certain support with the puck, you can make more confident plays.

When 3-4 players are standing still at any given time, we get our O-Zone offense, for the most part.... uninspired and lazy.

This isn't one simple fix for this season.... There's a giant mess right now, X's and O's wise. The only hope is that the team gives max effort every game....... we all know that's not happening. Gallant has been way too soft
Agree with everything, but I don't think Gallant is soft at all. This is the way he does things, for better and for worse. We are seeing the reason he has struggled to last with teams.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
At what point does Drury look to do something?
It has to be soon. The 3rd and 4th line is totally incapable of contributing- totally.

Barclays Goodrow has gone full witness protection too along with Kreider. Further, those getting on the coach need to relax. What’s he supposed to do when 50% of the forwards are literally contributing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad