Post-Game Talk: wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I guess it really was the (no)brain-trust running things when Quinn was coach too. The inmates were running the asylum.

Yet here we are, we hitched our horses to the winning core of Kreider-Panarin-Zibby-and Tuba. The veterans scream and cry when they don't get their touches, but yet can't show up for 60 to play what they're being paid millions for.

It's time for a culture change. Merit based play and performance should be the determining factor for roles and ice-time. Kreider shouldn't have even been looking at the ice in OT nevermind being on it. It makes me sick.

This is why it's important for young players to get on the PP and be given all the attention/time in the world. Eventually they'll have to take the reigns, and become leaders of the team. If you keep them in smaller roles, they won't know how or can't take the reins when the time comes.

IMO we're seeing the results of an experiment (first true rebuild in NY Ranger history) and what happens when a team that has 1 cup since carrier pigeons were a primary form of communication, thinks they know better than every other team in the league on how to develop players (specifically, star forwards).

We all had a hypothesis on how this should be handled. Ease the kids into it, give them smaller roles. Or give them as much ice time and truly focus on their development. It's no secret why you have younger players come into the league and contribute on other teams. It's because they're put into a position to succeed.

And don't tell me all the guys we drafted are busts. It's almost statistically impossible.

We have a deep-rooted systemic problem with this organization's philosophy when it comes to development. Where the cracks are? Idk.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Its early yet.I have faith they will turn it around and start clicking.I'll give them until game 81 before I get worried!

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

karljans8279

Jul 1, 2022
Might I add:

You can't say you would trade a Giants Super Bowl or a Yankees World Series win for a Rangers Stanley Cup, and then in that same breath be aghast with Trotz behind the bench because it's "boring hockey."
Was Trotz's coaching style as boring when he was with the Caps? With the Isles they played "boring hockey" because they really did not have a lot of offensive talent. Trotz's teams always seem to get better results than the overall talent on their roster. My only concern is that it would take a long time for the Rangers to learn Trotz's system after playing for a coach that is more of a motivator than an X's and O's guy

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Gave David Quinn's Sharts their first win
Blew Jackets and Dead Wings....

Team is fraudulent. Not shocked if they miss the playoffs, hope I'm wrong.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
It's the same disruptive start time for the other team.

Anyway, for the love of Adam Graves, put the Kid Line back together. Kakko does not need to be put with Panarin at any point, because he carries the puck now. Laf is night and day different when playing with a straight line Chytil.
this only works if they get a lot of ice time. if they dont, then its even worse than it is now. you trust gallant to give them more ice time ???

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
A lot easier to face the start time on the road. They’re in a hotel. They’re on a “business trip”. And the other team isn’t necessarily playing three straight at home with different start times.

As for playing the Kid Line together, I’m all for it. They mesh better than any other combos they have.
two problems with the Kid Line:

- The name. I hate hearing announcers say it. It's idiotic.
- Gallant limits their ice time. Playing with Zib or Panarin gives them more playing time.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Here's the thing they have holes but what team doesn't? Last year's Avs is the closest I guess. Also, Mika has great stats but the dude has 0 goals 5 on 5 on the season. That line looks good analytically but when you're second best forward has 0 goals 5 on 5 how is that not an issue?
I feel that has a lot more to do w Kreider than it does Zbad

That line has been raw baboon ass because of #20

Last edited:

NYRfan39

Dec 29, 2011
I know people are complaining about the PP, but that is not our issue at all. The best in a long time.
Fox and Panarin QB scrambles up the defenders. The only player that should be considered interchangeable is Trocheck. Sure they aren't scoring at the same rate but they hold the puck in the O zone for almost the entire PP when they are out there. Dont change the one thing this team excels at.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Last year at this time the Rangers were 5-3-3 then if I am reading correctly went 11-1. I'll give them this month before I worry but I'm not going to anymore games until they straighten sh** out.
They went 11-1 because Igor Shesterkin provided some historically ridiculous MVP levels of goaltending during that stretch, and teams hadn't solved how to kill their power play yet. They also played with conviction and had so many comeback wins.

This year feels different. The team feels like a more capable roster now that the kids (other than Igor, Fox and Miller) are flashing some brilliance. And Trochek has been an upgrade too.

So it feels like they should be playing better, and they were playing very well in the first few opening games. But I really do think this is a lack of effort to be honest.

The team isn't playing with the same level of believing that they can win close games. And the goaltending hasn't been terrible but it also hasn't been league-best like we had last year.

Also, Trouba sucks this year. He sucks. He really really sucks. And I cannot state it enough - he sucks.

Trouba needs to wake up and earn that C on his jersey. I actually think he's the reason why we aren't winning games.

I know people are complaining about the PP, but that is not our issue at all. The best in a long time.
Fox and Panarin QB scrambles up the defenders. The only player that should be considered interchangeable is Trocheck. Sure they aren't scoring at the same rate but they hold the puck in the O zone for almost the entire PP when they are out there. Dont change the one thing this team excels at.
They scored a PP goal last night. If they only get 1 pp goal per game, it should be enough to keep them together regardless of actual percentage. I agree the pp is not their issue.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Was Trotz's coaching style as boring when he was with the Caps? With the Isles they played "boring hockey" because they really did not have a lot of offensive talent. Trotz's teams always seem to get better results than the overall talent on their roster. My only concern is that it would take a long time for the Rangers to learn Trotz's system after playing for a coach that is more of a motivator than an X's and O's guy
It's too early and too alarmist to fire Gallant after the last two losses. Gotta give them at least another month to put things back together.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I actually like gallant and I think he'll get this team playing better. It can't really be pointed out enough that the difference between our record as it is and what it could be if Shesterkin was playing to his abilities alone is substantial.

At least this year the onus right now is on the players to step up and there's no comfort in pointing to the record and saying everything's copacetic.

karljans8279

Jul 1, 2022
It's too early and too alarmist to fire Gallant after the last two losses. Gotta give them at least another month to put things back together.
Not saying they should fire Gallant now. However knowing management/ ownership would anybody be surprised if come Thanksgiving they make a move if they are outside the playoff picture?
I also do not know if Rangers decide to replace Gallant with Trotz they will automatically start playing the same style that Isles played the last few years. Probably closer to the style that Washington played when he was coach

Deleted member 23124

I also do not know if Rangers decide to replace Gallant with Trotz they will automatically start playing the same style that Isles played the last few years. Probably closer to the style that Washington played when he was coach
They won't if our top players insist on doing things their way.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I couldn't tell if Trouba was legit tripped behind the net before that goal or if he fell, either way, embarrassing effort by the team. If you demote Kreider then don't put him out to start OT just because "remember last time....". You had Zibanejad make a stupid play because all he did was look for Kreider. Then you had Panarin make a dumb play putting Miller in a tough position. Just bad decisions all around.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Everyone's gushing about Bedard and Fantilli and the start he's having in the NCAA, but Michkov is #1 on my board. Best Russian prospect since Ovechkin and is basically a Patrick Kane clone that I would say even has a better shot than Kane.

Bedard has been dominant in juniors but has high bust potential, IMO.
Seeing him at 15 I thought he might be the next Gretzky but it really concerns me how much he has plateaued.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
The Coach is not getting fired .

The team is struggling to play fast consistently when they lack the right manpower to do so.

I believe players are trying too hard to stay out of the penalty box but it's converting into soft play.

Panarin is a problem. I'm surprised nobody else is talking about it. I don't understand GG saying let his line play his way and the rest of the team can forcheck backcheck . It's fabulous when it works but it doesn't always and it takes away team identity. I think GG is between a rock and a hard place on this one but I think something will have to give. The worst thing for any team is when your most talented player gives half the effort and though that's not been exactly the situation with Panarin I think others could feel like ....why does he get to play pond hockey and we have to forecheck/backcheck. Even when the Panarin line is working it seems to hurt the Rangers "flow". When I see guys posting how we have no structure.......what I see is Panarin doing his thing and the others trying to do something else.

They'll figure it out. It's early. Don't panic.

Last edited:

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I guess it really was the (no)brain-trust running things when Quinn was coach too. The inmates were running the asylum.

Yet here we are, we hitched our horses to the winning core of Kreider-Panarin-Zibby-and Tuba. The veterans scream and cry when they don't get their touches, but yet can't show up for 60 to play what they're being paid millions for.

It's time for a culture change. Merit based play and performance should be the determining factor for roles and ice-time. Kreider shouldn't have even been looking at the ice in OT nevermind being on it. It makes me sick.

This is why it's important for young players to get on the PP and be given all the attention/time in the world. Eventually they'll have to take the reigns, and become leaders of the team. If you keep them in smaller roles, they won't know how or can't take the reins when the time comes.

IMO we're seeing the results of an experiment (first true rebuild in NY Ranger history) and what happens when a team that has 1 cup since carrier pigeons were a primary form of communication, thinks they know better than every other team in the league on how to develop players (specifically, star forwards).

We all had a hypothesis on how this should be handled. Ease the kids into it, give them smaller roles. Or give them as much ice time and truly focus on their development. It's no secret why you have younger players come into the league and contribute on other teams. It's because they're put into a position to succeed.

And don't tell me all the guys we drafted are busts. It's almost statistically impossible.

We have a deep-rooted systemic problem with this organization's philosophy when it comes to development. Where the cracks are? Idk.
These posts are the best. " We have a deep rooted problem that I don't know how to solve but should be solved." Come on....

The issue is the organization counted on Laf and Kappo making massive jumps this year and they did not. If they made that leap this team would be far better.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
There’s a gaping black hole at RW. We all knew it. The idea that we’d play well and then acquire someone like Patrick Kane at the Deadline was nixed when he decided to sign Trocheck to a fair deal AAV, but a shitty one long-term. Couple that with essentially giving Buchnevich away for free and overpaying for Goodrich and Reaves and this is the net result. Not to mention, for as good as the Vatrano trade was, we didn’t attempt to re-sign him. The Copp trade was bad, but again, no attempt to re-sign. They had no money because of the aforementioned signings. So now we have a bottom-six that can’t score and a team too reliant on its big guns.

Frustrating all-around.
People yelled at me for talking about the buch trade bc its old news. Even though this is only the 2nd szn he's been away.

Which its also so stupid bc like u said were still very much f***ed by it right now at rw.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
And a couple of more things :
1) Y'all who say we are below .500 have poor math. That's not how it works. A team that is 6-4-3 is not the same as a team that is 6-7.
2) New Jersey is not going to win the Metro. If they are lucky they may get a wildcard spot.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
People yelled at me for talking about the buch trade bc its old news. Even though this is only the 2nd szn he's been away.

Which its also so stupid bc like u said were still very much f***ed by it right now at rw.

So how many seasons do we have to complain about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad