Post-Game Talk: Windy City Beatdown, Jets win 7-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Whenever I watch him I keep wondering to myself- how does a guy this big and supposedly skilled can't make anything happen out there. Even if he is not scoring I'd expect him to raise hell in the offensive zone causing chaos with his size but none of that is happening.

I mean he's still contributing to helping this team win so we really are nit picking here about a guy pacing 75 plus points.

I think one of the reasons you aren't noticing him much on the forecheck is that he is often F3 into the zone as he plays very low in the dzone under Rick. Where I've been a bit bewildered is him not being prepared for reverses on the cycle. He's missed so many of those that our cycle falls apart as a result. I'm pretty surprised that he's not shown much ability to hold pucks up and create more time and space at 5 on 5 either. He doesn't have the shiftiness of our other skilled players but he has more size and strength then any of them so he should be able to use that to get the same results.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
Whenever I watch him I keep wondering to myself- how does a guy this big and supposedly skilled can't make anything happen out there. Even if he is not scoring I'd expect him to raise hell in the offensive zone causing chaos with his size but none of that is happening.
When it does happen, it stands out as that skilled, bulldozer of a 2nd line centre who can dominate games. It’s just too inconsistent. It’s probably the reason why he kind of leaves you wanting more from a points production standpoint. When he’s on, I love PLD’s game.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Getting to face Chicago so many times should be a selling point over mtl for pld.
Glad Jets decided to go with more speed instead of Gagner it makes the team much better.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Folks driving in late from Punchaw, Nazko or Bowron might have noticed you out there crossing the road, scouting for large potentially draftable defensemen..
We didn’t have too much of a team in Vanderhoof in the late 70’s..Good to know another Chilcotin guy..
Love me some Vanderhoof but I experienced it while working out of Fort St James, so it might just be a relatively speaking type of situation. Been in Granisle the past couple years which also isn't too far off.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
This was a team that the Jets needed to beat, and I'm not certain the Jets from the last 2 years could have beaten this team. Thoroughly enjoyed the results, and the Jets played like they deserved to win. Good game; good result. Happy to see the depth chip in and carry the water for once. Will be interesting to see what happens to Saku or AJF once Appleton and Ehlers are back. Essymont isn't going anywhere.

Don't really miss Appleton tbh

Reactions: MarkWheeler

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Nice win, lots of goals...who could ask for anything more? Cue George Gershwin...

maxresdefault.jpg

The new prediction contest thread is up and running, as well as an up-to-date leaderboard, so check it out. Also, if you have some time, why don't you sign up to create a GDT! They are fun to do, easy to make, and low in calories...

Reactions: ps241

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
At the quarter pole I am most pleasantly surprised at how well the Jets have played overall. Our D crew has been much better this season considering there really has not been any turnover in personnel. Our bottom 6 is best in been in years, maybe the best in 2.0 history. We still need more offense which will be improved when we get Ehlers back though we maybe do need to look at bringing someone in. Hopefully Gus is not out long term and we need to be careful not to run Helle into the ground.

Jets definitely one of the surprise teams at this point of the season, in a good way along with New jersey, Montreal, Detroit and Seattle. Boston has just been on a whole other level but not completely unexpected.

Teams that should be concerned with their seasons at this point include Florida, Washington, Vancouver, and I'll throw in the Coilers who as usual have no goaltending.

Go Jets Go.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Do you actually think that he has been good at even strength? If so then more power to you.
I mean he has as many even strength points as scheifele.... just noticed how often you go after pld's game like in preseason when you said he was going to have a horrible season because a couple of ahl guys had more points then him in the 2-3 games he played... also have a feeling his points may go up more since he is playing with connor

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I mean he has as many even strength points as scheifele.... just noticed how often you go after pld's game like in preseason when you said he was going to have a horrible season because a couple of ahl guys had more points then him in the 2-3 games he played... also have a feeling his points may go up more since he is playing with connor
Connor and wheeler and Perfetti all looked better with Schief. Also isn’t that the mark of a good player they make their line mates better.

Reactions: JetsFan815

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I think we found the solution to not letting in 6-on-5 goals - score enough that they don't even bother pulling their goalie!

Good win, team. This was a whackin'.

Oh, Whacking Day, Oh, Whacking Day,
Our hallowed snake skull cracking-Day.

Soloist:We'll break their backs,Gouge out their eyes,Their evil heartsWe'll pulverize.

Children:Oh, Whacking Day, Oh, Whacking Day,May God bestow His Grace on thee.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Same, which is why I think it will be interesting to see what happens. The Jets have several players that are in that same mould: Appleton, AJF, Essymont, and Maenalanen. Someone will have to give when Apples and Ehlers gets back.
Toninato to waivers is a gimme and if Gus is injured(hopefully not) then the other takes his spot on the roster. Don't think they waiver Gagner as he's got some value for his experience and the whole good in the locker room thing. Doubt either Flow or Saku go on waivers either so it will come down to Harkins or Easy Mount and they cleared before, don't know if a team would scoop up either. I do think we could survive with Ehlers back and Appleton waived.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Toninato to waivers is a gimme and if Gus is injured(hopefully not) then the other takes his spot on the roster. Don't think they waiver Gagner as he's got some value for his experience and the whole good in the locker room thing. Doubt either Flow or Saku go on waivers either so it will come down to Harkins or Easy Mount and they cleared before, don't know if a team would scoop up either. I do think we could survive with Ehlers back and Appleton waived.
So Gagner as the 13th forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad