Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Well it seems like most has been said. Those that blamed Savard for the lack of D play? Whats the reason now? It has to be an in house system to constantly ignore your own zone and make glaringly bad D decisions…. Its really not that hard to coach a system that allows D men to engage RESPONSIBLY and have a body cover when you do. Players need to get physically engaged. Didnt they learn anything from last years playoffs??? Im concerned! after only 2 games we’re seeing the exact same mistakes that cost you a promising season last year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Some thoughts...

- Greentree opening the scoring and getting the crowd going was exactly what everyone needed.
- Costanzo fumbling the pass and Guelph scoring SH... not so much.
- Offensively, I liked their game. They lack chemistry and you can tell the timing is off, but they push the pace enough in the offensive zone that it creates chances. They'll find the chemistry and timing soon enough, I'm not worried about that.
- Defensively, this is a very raw team.

Going back through the goals against...

1st goal - tipped from the slot. Tough to fault Costanzo.
2nd goal - an odd man rush coming back, two Dmen stay on two guys, leaving Peer in the slot to get two more. The guy Peer has throws the puck at the net, Costanzo swipes, misses, and it goes under him. He'd like that one back.
3rd goal - Costanzo out of his crease to play the puck on a PP. Tries to fire it up the ice, goes right to the Storm player at center. He buries it past a diving Costanzo. Yep...
4th goal - Guelph on the PP, the Spits are looking to the blocker side, allowing the guy on Costanzo's glove side to sneak in. He's wide open and buries a pass.

- Costanzo made some monster saves in the third and battled. It was the second and third goals that were his downfall. What made me roll my eyes was the crowd giving him the Bronx Cheer after he made a save following the third goal. I get it... he didn't have a great game... but doing that to your own goaltender? Man, that's rough.

As for individual players...

- Eicher looked okay in his home debut. He has a bounce in his step, not afraid to get involved, and played a simple game. No complaints here.
- Walton looked fine in his Spitfires debut. Big kid, talking to a lot of his linemates, didn't look out of place at all. Got involved in some stuff and liked using his size. Again, very small sample size but no complaints.
- Smith is a minus-3 and I kind of forgot he was out there at times. It's frustrating because I know he can control the ice if/when he wants.
- Greentree is going to be a monster. He knows he's good and just needs the opportunities now. That opening goal was a thing of beauty.
- Castle's going to be one of those guys that quietly puts up 50-60 points and we go "oh, THAT'S what he had??" at the end of the season. You barely notice him until he does something big.
- Maillet has a calm presence about him but definitely had a take-charge approach on the ice.
- Costanzo looks frustrated. He knows he's solid but has to be better. That just takes time.

As far as I know, Delmore is in charge of the D and they need work this week. Poor coverage, sloppy mistakes, etc etc etc. It's not all bad but the stuff that is bad is seriously overshadowing the good. Get some good practice in this week and get ready for NB on Thursday. Am I concerned? Not quite yet. They've had two games with this lineup. Some stuff takes time. If they can't fix it soon, I'll be concerned.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor takes the loss infront of a good size crowd.
They got 2 breakaways for all the offence. Not much after that and was quick spurts.
Defense doesn't change. Not physical. No boxing out players. Just watching a lot.

Reactions: OHL 17

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Best forwards in the 2 games - Greentree and Dionicio
Best D - Christoforo

It's going to be a long year.

Most disappointing- Peer, Abraham and Maillet. Maillet the best of the 3 and Abraham has not really played much so a little rope for him. Peer looks totally disengaged. Camp cuts and now the threat of maybe being traded is getting to him. Needs to shake that off.

Bowler being interviewed last night and came right out and said this was a rebuild, restock the cupboard year. That has to impact the older players, listening for foot steps everyday. How the DeAngelis trade was handled poorly has to impact them.

I really like Spellacy but he just seems like a Kirwan 2.0 . The same move every time and just trys to bull his way down the boards. Needs to get more creative.

Both Walton and Eichler looked fine considering their time with the team. I see potential from both.

They can still go 66-2 or enter the draft lottery, time will tell.

Go Spits Go!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Section 103

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Best forwards in the 2 games - Greentree and Dionicio
Best D - Christoforo

It's going to be a long year.

Most disappointing- Peer, Abraham and Maillet. Maillet the best of the 3 and Abraham has not really played much so a little rope for him. Peer looks totally disengaged. Camp cuts and now the threat of maybe being traded is getting to him. Needs to shake that off.

Bowler being interviewed last night and came right out and said this was a rebuild, restock the cupboard year. That has to impact the older players, listening for foot steps everyday. How the DeAngelis trade was handled poorly has to impact them.

I really like Spellacy but he just seems like a Kirwan 2.0 . The same move every time and just trys to bull his way down the boards. Needs to get more creative.

Both Walton and Eichler looked fine considering their time with the team. I see potential from both.

They can still go 66-2 or enter the draft lottery, time will tell.

Go Spits Go!!!
Abraham has looked terrible thus far. It's unfortunate because he's 19 and should be leading this group or attempting to. With the OA situation as it is Jodoin will stick around but he's not OA quality. 2 bad penalties, getting caught up ice, not moving his feet. The biggest issue is we are 2 years removed from Johnston/Cuylle/Maggio. All had star quality years that insulated everyone. Now Greentree has to seemingly do it by himself. Just have to hope and pray when they add more draft picks that they become great OHL players.

Reactions: oldPeng and OHL 17

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I am most disappointed by our OA'S and Abraham. I realize this team has a pile of fringe ohl level players but outside of Greentree it is our " stars" who are failing miserably. I hate the way we play in front of the net at both ends. Soft as can be. Abraham looking to start something after the whistles most stoppages. Slashes players constantly going to the bench or around the face-off dots. He may draw a penalty eventually but normally refs watch that game in and game out from him and one of these times someone is going to take his head off and I wouldn't be surprised of a non call as they know he had it coming. I know Cristoforo is revered on here by most and while I do not disagree I was not impressed on the PK where the Guelph out front of Joey took 3 shots in tight and Zero effort to contain the player by Cristoforo. At least shove him. Geesh.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Just my take. 2 new guys behind the bench, coming of an extremely disappointing playoff last season, some players who should be ready to explode and some solid rookies, and this is the effort that hits the ice?!?!?! A player or 2 in a slump? Ok. But basically an entire team with no effort??? Thats on the guys behind the bench! Im betting Abraham is off because hes not liking what hes seeing! Kids usually a total team guy, ball of energy, he’s displaying none of that!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

From what I understand, the way it was handled and discussed wasn't good for anyone. It had to play a mental game during Friday's contest.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
A better performance last night against a Guelph squad considered to be one of the better squads. Close game until Constanzo's ugly mistake. He needs to be better.

Disappointed in the veterans, Peer, Abraham and Maillet, but it's only been two games. We know all three are better than they've shown. My guess is Christopoulis is traded before he even plays a game. Greentree is a beast and could end up being a top 15 pick in the NHL draft.

Next four games are at home against beatable opponents, if they are 1-5 after these six games, trade all veterans ASAP. It's the OHL, so there are going to be down years, I have no problem with that, but this one sucks considering they were dealt the most embarrassing sweep in OHL history. Many of the veterans probably know trades are coming and it could effect their play.

I have seen enough of Jodoin, costly penalties leading to goals already. The new acquisition Walton seemed decent for his first game, play him more. Eichler has some potential, he had I think 5 shots on goal. So far Bowler has acquired 2 2nd's and 2 3rd's, 4th, 5th, 6th.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
What happened to be competitive every year lol? This room is amusing. I get insulted when i preach championships are what folks want. Folks say competitive every year is better. Now its looking like a tough year and folks are ok with that!!?!

Reactions: TheGremlin

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
#BOSTON has placed
Michael DiPietro on that
At that age where needs to clear to go to Providence unless picked up elsewhere. With Boston young great goalies already in the show maybe another team would suit him well long term. Mikey was put on waivers for reassignment and not unconditional. Sean Day also put on waivers as well Kassian cleared waivers.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A better performance last night against a Guelph squad considered to be one of the better squads. Close game until Constanzo's ugly mistake. He needs to be better.

Disappointed in the veterans, Peer, Abraham and Maillet, but it's only been two games. We know all three are better than they've shown. My guess is Christopoulis is traded before he even plays a game. Greentree is a beast and could end up being a top 15 pick in the NHL draft.

Next four games are at home against beatable opponents, if they are 1-5 after these six games, trade all veterans ASAP. It's the OHL, so there are going to be down years, I have no problem with that, but this one sucks considering they were dealt the most embarrassing sweep in OHL history. Many of the veterans probably know trades are coming and it could effect their play.

I have seen enough of Jodoin, costly penalties leading to goals already. The new acquisition Walton seemed decent for his first game, play him more. Eichler has some potential, he had I think 5 shots on goal. So far Bowler has acquired 2 2nd's and 2 3rd's, 4th, 5th, 6th.
I would agree with a good portion of what you wrote about,especially about Costanzo whose play on Windsor's PP resulting in a shorthanded goal by Guelph on a horrific play when game was tied 2-2,Windsor playing very well overall to that point midway in the 2nd,he had a decent 3rd,but the damage had been done, many of the vets have struggled during the 1st 2 games definitely hasn't helped,4 rookie D,was 3 till Walton arrived from Sudbury in the DeAngilis deal, there were 2 last year Christoforo and Hebek,I doubt Christopoulis gets moved,I am with you I would move Jodoin once Christopoulis returns though that is 3-4 weeks out,special teams early have not been good,19th in both categories though it's only 2 games in,Greentree has been a stud imo.
Thought Walton playing in his 5th game in this league and 1st one here played well in his debut,kept things simple, no panic,engaged,Eichler as well played better then his debut,he was -4 in his 1st game,0 last night,ditto for Christoforo he was -4 in Sarnia on Friday but was 0 last night as well.
Colton Smith another vet who has not played well,though I do think his knee is part of the problem should probably take time off,has shown no speed,though was better in camp before knee on knee injury in exhibition, and more importantly no motor or much needed grit.
Costanzo 's play is concerning and it date backs to his last 4 starts, a guy I didn't think would struggle before the season and now out of the gate.
I would bring up Froggett by the weekend, needs to be competition here and imo Michelone isn't the answer in this department.
No doubt they were better last night then at Sarnia in game 1 by far,big week coming up lets see how things go,need to take care of business at home,like they did last year,especially with Costanzo in goal.
Lineup changes for me is Winegard and Greenwell go in,while Smith and Stewart come out and frankly because there would 7D dressed put Jodoin upfront at times if neccessary ,no back to back nights for almost 2 weeks going with 11F should be a non issue,better special teams and goaltending could mean the world, let's do it
Season still very young,concerns yes,panic no.

Reactions: oldPeng

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What happened to be competitive every year lol? This room is amusing. I get insulted when i preach championships are what folks want. Folks say competitive every year is better. Now its looking like a tough year and folks are ok with that!!?!
I guess it depends on your perspective or how you frame it. There are reasons why this has the looks of a tough year. Some of it is attributed to the 05 draft class which only has Martin/Greenwell/Winegard. I am comfortable saying that Martin hasn't shown much to date and if he still struggles this year he shouldn't be part of any core. When we are talking about Winegard an 11th round pick he might be given his chance but if he struggles he shouldn't be either. This idea of signing draft picks doesn't make it a great draft. What makes it a great draft is having productive players who get drafted into the NHL or extremely productive OHL players.

Yes this frustration has much to do with them not being competitive in the playoffs and getting swept. There is some frustration as well with the "coaching search." It's still early but Bowler needs to have a roster with players that are capable of playing in the OHL and just not roster filler.

If the team isn't working hard, that doesn't have a roster full of OHL players then fans shouldn't be happy. I don't think the team worked very hard in either game. Sure the home opener was better than the night prior but what does that mean?? 8 of their next 11 are at home if they struggle and it's not pretty I think we know what happens next.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
For me, a "great draft" means multiple players that are contributing to your club, whether it's production, great in the room/community, or a combination of the two. They've had some drafts completely bomb but getting several players from the last two seasons to put pen to paper is a good first step. They're not all going to be elite OHL talents but, as we've seen in the past few seasons, at worst case, they become depth and that's very valuable.

Yes, the last two games were awful and not great (in that order) and everyone admits there's a lot to fix. However, we also know that they haven't had much time to get the team together for various reasons and that plays a factor. They've got a few days now to work on their issues; if Thursday isn't better, then it starts raising questions.

I wish they had split the weekend, but they didn't. Fortunately, there are 66 games remaining.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
For me, a "great draft" means multiple players that are contributing to your club, whether it's production, great in the room/community, or a combination of the two. They've had some drafts completely bomb but getting several players from the last two seasons to put pen to paper is a good first step. They're not all going to be elite OHL talents but, as we've seen in the past few seasons, at worst case, they become depth and that's very valuable.

Yes, the last two games were awful and not great (in that order) and everyone admits there's a lot to fix. However, we also know that they haven't had much time to get the team together for various reasons and that plays a factor. They've got a few days now to work on their issues; if Thursday isn't better, then it starts raising questions.

I wish they had split the weekend, but they didn't. Fortunately, there are 66 games remaining.
Probably going to sound negative but there are flaws in you comments. For 1 the Spits are using a player that another team gave them. If the Spits had such a great draft why do they need a cast off to fill out their roster?
Spits not having enough time to get their team ready? It was the same amount of time the other teams had including the mostly rookie team that drubed them Friday night. Stop hunting in the weeds for excuses. Sometimes, most times, teams need to own their flaws so they can create a plan to be better. I'm hoping the Spits are facing these issues and working to get better.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Actually you are being a bit negative, and last yrs draft was a real good one,anytime you can sign 7 players from drafts,though 1 got traded O'Dell but Walton was a fourth rounder in the same draft the player Windsor received in the trade,Davis,Woodall and Frogett,plus Spellacy,Greentree and Christoforo, this years draft too early to say.Also should note 4D of the 7D are only 17 as we speak and there are 4 rookies on D,Eichler, Woodall, Walton and Winegard it will take time for things to jell,combine with better goaltending.
2 games too early to judge.
As for signing Struthers, good move provides aggressiveness that team needs,experienced,versatile.
If only a guy like Smith could provide the same intensity,bigger and stronger but lacks intensity.

Reactions: Section 103

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Probably going to sound negative but there are flaws in you comments. For 1 the Spits are using a player that another team gave them. If the Spits had such a great draft why do they need a cast off to fill out their roster?
Spits not having enough time to get their team ready? It was the same amount of time the other teams had including the mostly rookie team that drubed them Friday night. Stop hunting in the weeds for excuses. Sometimes, most times, teams need to own their flaws so they can create a plan to be better. I'm hoping the Spits are facing these issues and working to get better.
Truth

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
For 1 the Spits are using a player that another team gave them. If the Spits had such a great draft why do they need a cast off to fill out their roster?

You can have a great draft and still bring in players that aren't working out with other clubs. Windsor has a pretty solid history of finding those discarded/ignored talents and turning them into legit OHL players. DiGiacinto, Chatfield, Peer, etc...
Spits not having enough time to get their team ready? It is the same amount of time the other teams had including the mostly rookie team that drubed them Friday night. Stop hunting in the weeds for excuses.

Who's hunting for excuses? They haven't had a full roster so far and we've even mentioned on here how unlucky the injuries have been so far. At this point, yes, it plays a factor. We all know there are issues and need to be better overall; they know it and we know it. That doesn't mean there aren't reasons, though. Like I said, the team is getting healthier, they're getting on the ice together, and this week should help create some gel/chemistry.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
To be somewhat fair to the 2021 draft. Miedema was moved for Shane Wright and Ride and O'Flaherty were moved for Castle and Dionicio. Those top 3 picks by the Spits were at the cost of going for it last year. Yes. Martin, Greenwell and Winegard are really roster fillers that didn't cost Bowler anything more to acquire. If you said you can have Ride and O'Flaherty back, for Castle and Dionicio. Well Bowler would be on the hot stove for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad