Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
So how do you now look for other scores on the OHL website? Boy they have really messed up their update to something totally useless!
Both the scores link and the box scores at the top lag behind quite a bit behind. The Petes had a 4-1 lead in the 3rd and it showed 2-1 and in the 2nd period on the screen across the top and 3-1 on the actual page.

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts on this one..

- Offensively, there's a lot to like. They had 30+ shots, created on the PP, and seemed to find some chemistry.
- Defensively, a total cluster. Sarnia overwhelmed them, caught them flat-footed, and you could see the inexperience showing. That said, we knew this was a possibility and I'm not overly surprised. You don't lose (now) four veteran D, there are going to be ugly growing pains, esp early on.
- I expect a much different Spitfires' team on Saturday. You can't lay that egg in the home opener.
- Costanzo and Michelone would no doubt like a few back but they're definitely not at fault here.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
One game but here we are. Weve seen this during preseason, no compete. The lack of intensity is concerning. A goalie in a funk is also a major issue. It started weeks ago and is only getting worse. You can see it in his body language. The previous GC was an excellent guy when it came to focus and the mental part of the game. Lets hope it doesnt fester to long.
I agree with mostly of what you wrote about Costanzo especially the funk part,he was great during camp,was solid in his 1st game on the road at Flint but since then has really struggled the 2 exhibition starts at home and now last night at Sarnia, worst 3 games I have him play in a Windsor uniform and you are right it's concerning.
On another note,I know you don't like Bowler but you have to admit the haul of picks plus a 17 year old dman with size and grit something we all want with this team,was impressive and surprising,2 2nds,1 3rd and 1 6th rounder quite the collection.
I admit I was stunned re the deal and the player involved but very pleased about the return and potential moving forward.

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
A few thoughts..

-As some have stated, I thought the boys came out flying for the first 7-10 Minutes. But that's not a 60 minute game.

-Jodoin took a stupid penalty for an OA especially to take. Wasent aware of his surroundings and held on to long. That penalty popped any momentum we had there, shots were 7-0 Spitfires at one point.

- Appriciate what Costanzo did last year, he was a rock for the most part. But last night he looked far from that. not that all the goals were his fault but he just looked shakey and out of position, he is usually dialed in and Laser focused, wake up call for him hopefully. We Need Joey if were going to do decent this season.

- Greentree is impressive. As of now should be a top 2 Rounder in the nhl draft. He just looks really confident with the puck on his stick, really excited to see his season play out.

- Guys Like Abraham, Morneau, Castle and especially Colton Smith(not impressed) should have flyers put out to all teams.

- Michilone should not have been picked as the back up period. Hopeing some kind of trade this season or a release happens and we can get the youngster up here to experience this league and grow his game.

- Only 1 game But it was a S*** Show. And also it was hopefully a early season wake up call. Need to be better in this league, hope the boys dont get Embarrassed on home ice tonight and come out with a more complete effort.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

- Offensively, there's a lot to like. They had 30+ shots, created on the PP, and seemed to find some chemistry.
- Defensively, a total cluster. Sarnia overwhelmed them, caught them flat-footed, and you could see the inexperience showing. That said, we knew this was a possibility and I'm not overly surprised. You don't lose (now) four veteran D, there are going to be ugly growing pains, esp early on.
- I expect a much different Spitfires' team on Saturday. You can't lay that egg in the home opener.
- Costanzo and Michelone would no doubt like a few back but they're definitely not at fault here.
I agree on a couple of points that you made especially the part re the experience of the D,3 rookies now 4 with the addition of Conor Walton from the DeAngilis trade,2-17 year olds, Eichler 17 and won't be 18 till December plus Winegard who is 18,alot of growing pains here,though with those 4 plus Cristoforo who is 17,a really young core.
Should note that Adrian Manzo and Michael Lavigne both 16 years old dmen currently in LA Salle are both performing well,especially Manzo who had 1G,2A last night in LaSalle's 4-1 win last night on the road.
And with the starts that Costanzo and Michelone had last night,nice to see Spits other goalies Carter Froggett, Tre Altiman and Dante Bortelin are all playing very well in Jr B
Altiman is averaging an impressive 2.28 goals against with a save percentage .938 a 3-2 record with La Salle,while Froggett has been impressive for London Jr B, 3.51 in 4 starts,899 save percentage, 2,-2 record and in his last 3 starts,2-1 record 3.03 average and .909 save percentage for a team not as good as LA Salle,whole Bertolin has played game for La Salle,1-0,1.00 average,.967 save percentage, Altiman 18 years old soon,and Froggett and Bertolin both 17 year olds,bright future in goal it appears for Windsor and if struggles with main club,changes can be made.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
A few thoughts….I’m happy with the trade I wished for. Not overly upset with the loss. This is after all, a rebuilding season. I, as probably most of us, expect numerous deals during this season. Sometimes a good deal will pop up early….sometimes JAN 10TH but you jump in when the opportunity arises. If we can be in the race for a playoff spot I’ll be happy.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
No question great deal made! When will this team address the damn D??? Its painful to watch the struggles honestly. Where does the issue lie? This has been an ongoing problem for multiple years and as i sit here i believe many could do a better job coaching that group! They show little interest in moving bodies, panic leads to giveaways and miscues….at some point that group needs an overhaul. If Joey can quickly get out of his funk great! If not were in for a bunch of pain. I believe Frogett is coming after he gets some B time buts its unfair to have to rely on a rookie goalie. The lack of effort is on the HC! That needs to be fixed tonight!

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Our 2 " best" D Dionicio and Cristoforo are both offense first. Both playing deep leading to multiple easy exits fir Sarnia last night. Cristoforo-4 to lead the team in the wrong category you want from a defenseman. Eichler tough first game as well but not surprising.

Reactions: rve24

spits

Jul 24, 2013
The De'Angelis trade was outstanding. All those picks for an undrafted 19 year old d-man. That Niagara second could be the #21 pick.

Regarding the game, it was a disaster in their own end. Offensively they looked decent, Sarnia goalie made some good saves. That poor defensive play is to be expected considering it was Cristoforo's first action since last year, and Eichler's first game as well.

If Spellacy plays like he did last night all year he will climb the draft rankings. Greentree, Cristoforo, and Spellacy all have a chance to be higher picks with Greentree most likely a 1st round pick. Some of the veterans were invisible, but the Spitfires always get blown out in Sarnia, the last two games they played in Sarnia last year were blowout losses.

It's important to try and bank points now before a few more guys are traded. Pretty good chance 2 of the 3 OA's are dealt. 5 straight home games now. if they look horrible after these five games might be time to trade the veterans asap. Last night is only one game, too early to make any judgments. Guelph is one of the better teams, so this one will be a challenge.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The De'Angelis trade was outstanding. All those picks for an undrafted 19 year old d-man. That Niagara second could be the #21 pick.

Regarding the game, it was a disaster in their own end. Offensively they looked decent, Sarnia goalie made some good saves. That poor defensive play is to be expected considering it was Cristoforo's first action since last year, and Eichler's first game as well.

If Spellacy plays like he did last night all year he will climb the draft rankings. Greentree, Cristoforo, and Spellacy all have a chance to be higher picks with Greentree most likely a 1st round pick. Some of the veterans were invisible, but the Spitfires always get blown out in Sarnia, the last two games they played in Sarnia last year were blowout losses.

It's important to try and bank points now before a few more guys are traded. Pretty good chance 2 of the 3 OA's are dealt. 5 straight home games now. if they look horrible after these five games might be time to trade the veterans asap. Last night is only one game, too early to make any judgments. Guelph is one of the better teams, so this one will be a challenge.
Christforo played at the U18 in August.

Christforo played at the U18 in August.
New kid playing tonight?

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
First opening night I have missed since 2008. Going to be different watching from afar. Have fun for those that are there.

That sucks....I feel ya. From 1999-2014 missed 3 games total, then got involved in the game.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Was it a different team tonight???...

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Costanzo was the difference maker. But not in a good way. Lost total momentum after his brutal giveaway

Connor Walton looked really good I thought, he’s a real physical defender who complemented Cristoforo nicely. Definitely didn’t look like his 5th ever OHL game.

Liam Greentree was the best player on the ice for both teams. Might just be a high first round pick in the upcoming NHL draft.

Spellacy was quiet I thought tonight, not much good, nor bad.

Dionicio was terrible, terrible body language all night, trying to be a forward and leaving his forwards covering for him too often then trying to do too much in general. This was one of the worst games I’ve seen of him as a Spit.

Disappointed with Nesbitt, looks like your typical 16 year old but I guess not every year you get a Cristoforo, Spellacy and a Greentree. We were spoiled last season.

Reactions: TheGremlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad