Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The reg season roster is posted...

Looks like Graniero, Tonin, and Morgan are gone on forwards. Manzo, Lavigne, Hjelholt, and O'Dell on D. Michelone/Costanzo in goal.

Reactions: punch1943

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Well its been a damn fast summer. Time to see just where this team shakes out. Lots to ponder imho. Retool or rebuild. New HC. Is BB a real GM or pretender? Did the team learn from last years mess???? I believe this is a 4th place team. That said theres 2 teams that likely excel and i think the rest run fairly tight.

Reactions: OHLTG and punch1943

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Well its been a damn fast summer. Time to see just where this team shakes out. Lots to ponder imho. Retool or rebuild. New HC. Is BB a real GM or pretender? Did the team learn from last years mess???? I believe this is a 4th place team. That said theres 2 teams that likely excel and i think the rest run fairly tight.

I feel like a broken record for saying this but this season's club is such a toss-up. Ideally, they'll sell off at the deadline and build for the future. However, how high will they get before that? I figure home ice should be the goal, regardless.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
The assets that would bring what we need are mostly guys id like to see stay. If not your writing next year off. Are you prepared to endure a last place team? Thats y i said we’ll see how good BB really is.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The assets that would bring what we need are mostly guys id like to see stay. If not your writing next year off. Are you prepared to endure a last place team? Thats y i said we’ll see how good BB really is.
Yes I would like to see them all stay and Spits are in the hunt but reality is they can't buy and lots of teams are better this year . Not the Spits year. So move a few guys at the deadline and give them another shot at a long run. You also need to keep some guys so your not run out of the rink every night. This is the challenge for BB. This will show case his abilities or weakness. Going to be an interesting year .

I've already have tempered expectations.

Sell - Sell - Sell

Go Spits Go!!!

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
As for the comment whether BB is a real GM or pretender,the last 2 seasons combined,they are the only team in both conferences to have won both seasons regular season division and conference titles,the only team besides London to have won a conference title in the playoffs,also like London lost in the 1st round of the playoffs in 1 of those seasons,won the most rounds in the playoffs for the West the last 2 years 3 tied with London,though imo winning both seasons regular season conference and division titles gives them the nod over London for best in the West overall the last 2 seasons post covid,only 3 teams in the league have won more playoff rounds all in the East,Hamilton 2 years ago 4 rounds and league title,this year finished 6th and out in the 1st,Peterborough 4 rounds this past year,league title,previous season out in the 1st round, North Bay 4 rounds won,2 in each of the last 2 seasons but lost in the conference round each season.
Should note North Bay has won their division the last 2 years but finished 2nd in the conference each time with Hamilton and Ottawa taking regular season titles.
I think Windsor taking 1st place this past season with heavy graduations plus the early departure of Wyatt Johnston, the most injuries in the league was very impressive and should not be overlooked because of a disappointing playoff due mainly to injuries and suspensions including season ending to forwards Abraham and Spellacy,suspensions to Dionicio best dman last half of season,Morneau, Renwick and DeAngilis playing when they shouldn't have,Maggio with bad back,Christopoulis wrist injury suffered in 1st period of game 2,and Peer concussion in 1st 2 minutes of game 3 and never returned.
Injuries are a factor not a excuse especially to the extent Windsor had during the playoffs.
That being said great drafting by Bowler in getting Christoforo, Greentree, Spellacy before this past season was a stroke of mastery,all 3 were in the top 22 for the upcoming NHL draft rated by Brock Otten for OHL prospects with 2 of them in the top 6,Greentree and Christoforo, only team in the league to have 2 in top 6,plus team has also signed 4 other players from the 2022 draft,Davis,Woodall,Froggett and O'Dell.
The trade for a 4th rounder to Niagara for Joey Costanzo was a tremendous one,wound up being the 5th best goalie in the league and the youngest in the top 5 at 17 years old and made everyone forget about Onuska who coach Savard wanted over Medina.
Toss in great trades bring in Maillet and Christopoulis, plus the free agent signing of Oliver Peer who went from 9G,6A to 22G,45A this past year,Christopoulis from 14G,10A,to 49G,25A this past season, Maillet from 10G,21A to 24G,49A,and the good thing is that all 3 plus Abraham, Colton Smith, Spits have 7 of last years top 8 point getters returning, unlike the 3 of 8 last year and 3 of 10 the year prior.
I see no reason for this team to have a good season this based on the evidence shown,top 5 goalie only 18,great draft board from last year 7 players signed,Nesbitt looks like a Greentree clone imo,Winegard and Woodall look impressive and Froggett should be here shortly.
No doubt in my mind and the evidence laid out over2 seasons is compelling to show
Bowler is not a pretender but a damn good GM.
Lastly attendance went up 1822 fans per game last year from year before,meaning more then 1 million dollars to team coffers,I doubt they are in a hurry to dump on Bowler,things perfect no but overall better then most.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
As for the comment whether BB is a real GM or pretender,the last 2 seasons combined,they are the only team in both conferences to have won both seasons regular season division and conference titles,the only team besides London to have won a conference title in the playoffs,also like London lost in the 1st round of the playoffs in 1 of those seasons,won the most rounds in the playoffs for the West the last 2 years 3 tied with London,though imo winning both seasons regular season conference and division titles gives them the nod over London for best in the West overall the last 2 seasons post covid,only 3 teams in the league have won more playoff rounds all in the East,Hamilton 2 years ago 4 rounds and league title,this year finished 6th and out in the 1st,Peterborough 4 rounds this past year,league title,previous season out in the 1st round, North Bay 4 rounds won,2 in each of the last 2 seasons but lost in the conference round each season.
Should note North Bay has won their division the last 2 years but finished 2nd in the conference each time with Hamilton and Ottawa taking regular season titles.
I think Windsor taking 1st place this past season with heavy graduations plus the early departure of Wyatt Johnston, the most injuries in the league was very impressive and should not be overlooked because of a disappointing playoff due mainly to injuries and suspensions including season ending to forwards Abraham and Spellacy,suspensions to Dionicio best dman last half of season,Morneau, Renwick and DeAngilis playing when they shouldn't have,Maggio with bad back,Christopoulis wrist injury suffered in 1st period of game 2,and Peer concussion in 1st 2 minutes of game 3 and never returned.
Injuries are a factor not a excuse especially to the extent Windsor had during the playoffs.
That being said great drafting by Bowler in getting Christoforo, Greentree, Spellacy before this past season was a stroke of mastery,all 3 were in the top 22 for the upcoming NHL draft rated by Brock Otten for OHL prospects with 2 of them in the top 6,Greentree and Christoforo, only team in the league to have 2 in top 6,plus team has also signed 4 other players from the 2022 draft,Davis,Woodall,Froggett and O'Dell.
The trade for a 4th rounder to Niagara for Joey Costanzo was a tremendous one,wound up being the 5th best goalie in the league and the youngest in the top 5 at 17 years old and made everyone forget about Onuska who coach Savard wanted over Medina.
Toss in great trades bring in Maillet and Christopoulis, plus the free agent signing of Oliver Peer who went from 9G,6A to 22G,45A this past year,Christopoulis from 14G,10A,to 49G,25A this past season, Maillet from 10G,21A to 24G,49A,and the good thing is that all 3 plus Abraham, Colton Smith, Spits have 7 of last years top 8 point getters returning, unlike the 3 of 8 last year and 3 of 10 the year prior.
I see no reason for this team to have a good season this based on the evidence shown,top 5 goalie only 18,great draft board from last year 7 players signed,Nesbitt looks like a Greentree clone imo,Winegard and Woodall look impressive and Froggett should be here shortly.
No doubt in my mind and the evidence laid out over2 seasons is compelling to show
Lastly attendance went up 1822 fans per game last year from year before,meaning more then 1 million dollars to team coffers,I doubt they are in a hurry to dump on Bowler,things perfect no but overall better then most.
Don't have to be so defensive. There is nothing wrong with a rebuild. As stated above Bowler is entering uncharted waters for the first time as GM. Let's see how he does before we give him a key to the city. I've been happy so far but this year will tell alot.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Don't have to be so defensive. There is nothing wrong with a rebuild. As stated above Bowler is entering uncharted waters for the first time as GM. Let's see how he does before we give him a key to the city. I've been happy so far but this year will tell alot.
Actually everyone did a rebuild because of covid,the last 6 games of one season plus playoffs and one whole season plus playoffs which is like I said since Covid ended he has been excellent, toss in the fact that including this coming season Windsor lost a player early,Foudy, Johnston and now Wright.
No team so far has lost 2 in this stretch let alone 3,and I am not including Finish dman Rafkin who didn't return after his season here post covid.

Last edited:

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

Must be light goalposts. So easily moved.
Used to be Memorial Cups only. Used to be go back a decade.now a Div title and 2 year window is......lol

BB publicly came out 2 years and made a statement on behalf on the organization to their fans on how they wanted to operate. It lasted 1 year and he went another direction. Of course some fans are in wait n see mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section 103

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Actually everyone did a rebuild because of covid,the last 6 games of one season plus playoffs and one whole season plus playoffs which is like I said since Covid ended he has been excellent, toss in the fact that including this coming season Windsor lost a player early,Foudy, Johnston and now Wright.
No team so far has lost 2 in this stretch let alone 3,and I am not including Finish dman who didn't return after his season here post covid.

Bowler hasn't done a full rebuild yet. Other than the Zito and Staios trades (which, IIRC, were player requests), he hasn't really done significant "send veteran out for multiple picks" thing. Heck, the year they returned after Covid, he went for the title. They had the assets to buy and he didn't hold back. If we want to see how he handles a rebuild, this might be our season.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
We know Bowler can build a winner; that's been evident. The question is - can he rebuild? That's not proven. I'm not skeptical, given what we've seen, but I think being curious about how he goes about this part of the job is justified.
What happened to so be it?..

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
This is when we find out if BB is a good GM or has the potential to be a great GM. He has done well to this point but now we get to see how well he can tear it down and build it back up. Let’s see if he can do what Hamilton has done the past few years or can come close to it. If he can then i will say he is a great GM. Just as long as he doesn’t follow WR blueprint and can’t win in the playoffs after being successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad