Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's junior hockey; you're going to lose some games you play alright in and win some games you don't deserve to. Not every L is a bad effort, just like not every W is justified.

As for the TMNT jerseys - they look pretty good on screen and I'm eager to see them in person. Promotions are a part of sports and life; the Spitfires are trying to get creative and I appreciate it. You can't please everyone.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It's junior hockey; you're going to lose some games you play alright in and win some games you don't deserve to. Not every L is a bad effort, just like not every W is justified.

As for the TMNT jerseys - they look pretty good on screen and I'm eager to see them in person. Promotions are a part of sports and life; the Spitfires are trying to get creative and I appreciate it. You can't please everyone.
Just trying to get buts in the seat to watch a product that isn't very good.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The lack of a 2nd 3rd 4th round in this year's draft kills a rebuild. We should have 3 16 yr olds in the lineup. Manzo a 5th is a 5th at best so far. The only quality group we have is our 06 group, everyone has super potential. How long before a couple wants out is problematic. Even last season we had 3 16 yr olds regular in the lineup. Abraham likely stays put as a OA next year. Dionicio I expect moved as our highest movable return currently. I think BB fudged the import situation trading Sobolev. The 1 true high skilled physical defenseman we had .

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

As Ricky said ‘ bUT you have to please yourself’…..it’s a tough racket …so many options for folks to spend their cash.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The lack of a 2nd 3rd 4th round in this year's draft kills a rebuild. We should have 3 16 yr olds in the lineup. Manzo a 5th is a 5th at best so far. The only quality group we have is our 06 group, everyone has super potential. How long before a couple wants out is problematic. Even last season we had 3 16 yr olds regular in the lineup. Abraham likely stays put as a OA next year. Dionicio I expect moved as our highest movable return currently. I think BB fudged the import situation trading Sobolev. The 1 true high skilled physical defenseman we had .
We have Niagara 's 2nd pick for 2024 acquired in the trade for DeAngilis, that's like getting a high 1st, will be around 24 or 25th imo.
Also have Niagara 2024 4th rd pick from the Holmes trade with Kingston.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
We have Niagara 's 2nd pick for 2024 acquired in the trade for DeAngilis, that's like getting a high 1st, will be around 24 or 25th imo.
Also have Niagara 2024 4th rd pick from the Holmes trade with Kingston.
But u have to do something with it.
And have actual coaches

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Wah wah wah. No cigar tonight but great try. Bad teams don't catch a break but good teams do catch them. The 6th goal was in no matter how hard I prayed it wasn't.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
How has Connor Toms been playing for you guys since the trade from the Soo Greyhounds?
Uh, want him back?

Don’t hate him personally, but a -10 in 6 games with next to no offensive stats alongside it. He’s been fine. He wasn’t brought in to fix this team, but he can eat up some minutes.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Before firing smith can we trade smith? Colton’s being outscored by Carson Woodall, who has played 5 less games.
11th on the team in scoring.

This is the first time I really dove into player stats given the sample size is now big enough.

Greentree, Peer, Dionicio, Christopoulos the only ones above a point per game.

Davis is coming along. Abraham has been fine, but I expected him to breakout this year. Instead he’s turning into a more penalized version of DAmico.

If I’m Bowler, I’m shopping Dionicio (unfortunately - he’s my favorite to watch), Smith, Castle, Michelone, Struthers while listening to all offers on OAs.

Those 3 OAs we got are all contributing, but unless those contributions turn into W’s… we’re looking at 9th or 10th regardless if we keep them or not. Selfishly, I’d like to watch a few more months of Peer/Christo, but I’d rather see them get another shot to contend where more eyes might be on them for the future.

I think if Dionicio has an OA year, he’s well worth the spot but as a bottom feeder, I don’t want to hang-on just in case.

What we get for him now, we could spend half of on an OA D Man IF we needed it next season.

I’ve liked watching Eichler, best import since Sobolev… but also, wouldn’t mind still having Sobolev. Who would’ve thought he’d be on a better team in Niagara lol

Reactions: OHL 17

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Before firing smith can we trade smith? Colton’s being outscored by Carson Woodall, who has played 5 less games.
11th on the team in scoring.

This is the first time I really dove into player stats given the sample size is now big enough.

Greentree, Peer, Dionicio, Christopoulos the only ones above a point per game.

Davis is coming along. Abraham has been fine, but I expected him to breakout this year. Instead he’s turning into a more penalized version of DAmico.

If I’m Bowler, I’m shopping Dionicio (unfortunately - he’s my favorite to watch), Smith, Castle, Michelone, Struthers while listening to all offers on OAs.

Those 3 OAs we got are all contributing, but unless those contributions turn into W’s… we’re looking at 9th or 10th regardless if we keep them or not. Selfishly, I’d like to watch a few more months of Peer/Christo, but I’d rather see them get another shot to contend where more eyes might be on them for the future.

I think if Dionicio has an OA year, he’s well worth the spot but as a bottom feeder, I don’t want to hang-on just in case.

What we get for him now, we could spend half of on an OA D Man IF we needed it next season.

I’ve liked watching Eichler, best import since Sobolev… but also, wouldn’t mind still having Sobolev. Who would’ve thought he’d be on a better team in Niagara lol
Bowler phone working??

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Smith is on pace for half the points he had last year. Another one noone mentions is Morneau. He is on pave for less points this year. Both elevated roles with lityle results to date. Christopoulis taking a misconduct shows the level of frustration within. No shortage of trade candidates, which ones will return something? Homers preaching how versatile Jodoin was couldn't fetch a bag of timbits. Being on OA is a limited market and Maillet stock is falling, Peer and Christopoulis should fetch something but again OA'S are hard to move when the better teams already have those spots solidified with equal level talent. Unless a contender needs a OA due to injury, the market will be low unless a team owes us a big favor. Thinking Bowler owes more favors than what is coming our way currently

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Just a disastrous season in every sense possible. That's two weekends in a row where they were less than 10 seconds away from earning a point before allowing a goal. Just a brutal goal for Costanzo to allow. A shot from the d*** corner. How do you have not the entire post covered? Just inexcusable goaltending on that play.

The team works hard more often than not, that's not the issue. Part of the issue is the JR. B defense. Winegaard, Hejholt, etc are not OHL players. I am growing weary of Bill Bowler. Again he stated in an interview the team was going to be competitive. Mr. Bowler, your team has 4 wins in 17 games. Hopefully, ownership makes some changes this week, something needs to be done.

The bright spots are Greentree and Cole Davis who is now 4th in rookie scoring and is on his way to climbing in the next draft rankings. The defense will improve once Woodall returns but by then any of the veterans will have been shipped out, so I don't see this team improving in the second half. Bowler needs to trade anyone of value, the team is on pace to win 15 games as it is so might as well get what you can.

One more thing, this Saginaw team is nothing special and will likely get bounced in the opening round. The Spitfires who are the worst team in the CHL had no problem playing with them, outshooting them yesterday and coming a few seconds away from OT in this one.

Gotta hope we can land Braidy Wassilyn and an elite talent in the import draft considering they will have a top 3 pick. Things can change drastically from season to season. The Barrie Colts won just 17 games in 2017 and won 43 games and the division in 2018. Is Bowler the guy? I am having my doubts. Can't be selling to your fans your goal is to be competitive every year and right after you make that statement you ice the worst team in franchise history.

Reactions: OHL 17

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
Spit have scored 12 goals at home the last 2 games and have nothing to show for it.. some kind of shake up is needed towards team defense or this season will quickly come off the rails.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad