Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Unfortunately, the trade value for Smith or Castle is low. Maybe a 5th round pick or something.

Castle's quietly on pace for a 30-point season, which isn't bad given he's been purely depth to this point. You could also argue that Smith is a 40-point guy when he's driven. I don't expect a ton for either, should moves happen, but you aren't likely to get peanuts, either.

Reactions: punch1943

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
If Bowler over evaluates some of these players, no deals will materialize. We don't want them why would another team want them? Other than Dionicio or a Greentree, no big returns will be offered. Christoforo's play this year only seems to have our Homer's still hopeful. As of Oct 25 Cristoforo has dropped to a mid B ranking. The OHL alone has Dickinson, Parekh, Mews ranked way higher for obvious reasons. Greentree still an A rated player around 30th overall. Greentree could improve with a improved 200 ft game. Our Oa's are rentals and other than maybe Christopoulis, they hold little trade value to contenders unless injuries plague a contender at deadline.

Reactions: windsor7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Castle's quietly on pace for a 30-point season, which isn't bad given he's been purely depth to this point. You could also argue that Smith is a 40-point guy when he's driven. I don't expect a ton for either, should moves happen, but you aren't likely to get peanuts, either.
Depends on gm
However not much for either.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
If Bowler over evaluates some of these players, no deals will materialize. We don't want them why would another team want them? Other than Dionicio or a Greentree, no big returns will be offered. Christoforo's play this year only seems to have our Homer's still hopeful. As of Oct 25 Cristoforo has dropped to a mid B ranking. The OHL alone has Dickinson, Parekh, Mews ranked way higher for obvious reasons. Greentree still an A rated player around 30th overall. Greentree could improve with a improved 200 ft game. Our Oa's are rentals and other than maybe Christopoulis, they hold little trade value to contenders unless injuries plague a contender at deadline.
Not sure if I'm considered one of the homers lol, but while Cristoforo hasn't been great this year, if he ends up being a 2nd-4th round NHL pick, that is still solid and nothing to scoff at. If Greentree plays at his current pace of 105 points, he'll likely be a top 15 pick. I think they can get decent value in a deal for Christopoulous, maybe a 2nd, most likely a 3rd and a 4th. But I agree, the only players with big value are Dionicio. Possibly Abraham, a 19 year old with an 0.8 PPG in his OHL career, especially considering the return London just got for Crane.

Reactions: Cherrydon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
IMO, Christoforo has taken a major setback. He is not moving, and closing the jap. His anticipation appears slow. As a result, it is difficult to play him on the power play, as he can;t keep the puck in. He has potential, but requires coaching to move him forward.
An "actual" coaching staff..

Reactions: KyGuy9 and OHL 17

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
What Sh!t Show on Thursday, with the way this season has unfolded so far this is as to be expected to be honest. Our coaches playing Chess and the Hunters and Crew playing checkers. They made the Necessary changes and we seen the tide change, our boys were in over there heads.

Changes should be made soon. not just a minor change either. A Coaching change or A few regulars need to be moved. Culture change or a change of vision is needed. Were the San Jose Sharks of the OHL Right now. Can only let this mess go on so long. Direction of this team this season is Crystal clear. Make a move Bowler and let these players know that the effort or way things have been this season is not Spitfires Hockey, Losing is one thing but the How is the hard part to watch out there.

I'm Guessing the Spirit will come out Strong after losing to us at our Barn last time out. Lets hope Michilone Plays a solid game and the players play smart and with an honest Effort.

Go Spitfires Go!!

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'm guessing being last place overall with little hope next year with the current roster projection, that talk for someone to remove their no trade clause gets much easier.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Well let's fire-up the washer and see what Spits out at the end of tonight's game.
Odds are we lose both games in high scoring affairs. However this is Junior hockey and quite often you get a surprise. IMHO the key problem for this team ……is it’s not a team in the true sense. We suffer from the ‘ME..ME’S’. ..Not enough of the ‘US…US’S…..

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Odds are we lose both games in high scoring affairs. However this is Junior hockey and quite often you get a surprise. IMHO the key problem for this team ……is it’s not a team in the true sense. We suffer from the ‘ME..ME’S’. ..Not enough of the ‘US…US’S…..
Yup, when guys are trying to do moves around players instead of making the smart hockey play its pretty evident. Peer and Dionico are the worst for sure in terms of doing way to much. its not about you, I couldn't care any less how many slick dekes you do on the ice. would rather see this team functioning as a unit and as a well oiled machine. Smart passes and high hockey IQ Is what I want to watch, and ultimately its upto our head coach to start benching players if they don't want to get on board. Don't care what the name is on your Back.

This team needs a coach with the Persona like Rick Tocchet or a Torteralla. Wont take Sh!t and you play there way or get comfy on the bench or in the Press box. Best Junior league in the world and i'm not seeing that level of play from this spitfire squad.

Reactions: windsor7 and OHL 17

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This team needs a coach with the Persona like Rick Tocchet or a Torteralla. Wont take Sh!t and you play there way or get comfy on the bench or in the Press box. Best Junior league in the world and i'm not seeing that level of play from this spitfire squad.

Savard seemed to work last season and he was far from the drill sergeant.

Update on tonight...

Michelone starts. Looks like Walton has been added to the scratched list. Hopefully it's nothing major. Manzo and Hjelholt both dressing on D.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Update on tonight...

Michelone starts. Looks like Walton has been added to the scratched list. Hopefully it's nothing major. Manzo and Hjelholt both dressing on D.
Defense wasn't good last year..

Reactions: SpitfireHabs1

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Update on tonight...

I see Hjelholt and Eichler in the lineup tonight re the backend,you are correct about Walton and I don't see Manzo on the roster sheet posted online on the league website.
Upfront Stewart and Greenwell are in Martin(susp) and Struthers unknown are out.
Also,still out are Woodall(hand injury) and Nesbitt away at -17 tourney in PEI,championship game starting in 10 minutes.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I see Hjelholt and Eichler in the lineup tonight re the backend,you are correct about Walton and I don't see Manzo on the roster sheet posted online on the league website.
Upfront Stewart and Greenwell are in Martin(susp) and Struthers unknown are out.
Also,still out are Woodall(hand injury) and Nesbitt away at -17 tourney in PEI,championship game starting in 10 minutes.

My bad on Manzo; got him mixed with Eichler.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Kitchener just traded one of their imports to Brantford for a couple of picks. Maybe looking to add a different import? Perhaps Dionicio?

Reactions: OHL 17

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario

Update on tonight...

Yeah but Savard had some fire in him and players respected the fact he played in the NHL. Didnt really say Drill Sargent either but more along the lines of assertive and accountability is what I want from my coach, the lack of position out there and the stupid individual plays by the players should have been stopped, were far enough into the season now and still seeing it, that's our coaches job Period!.

Jarred Smith should be getting a sun burn from how hot his seat is. The spits are in the bottom of the standings but more importantly the level of play and engagement hasent been there.

Anyways I'm done ranting, just trying to look for the small positives this season. There are a few bright spots on this team. Every game now I'm going in expecting the worst but hoping for a good showing and the Win. Hope to see a good Spitfires team on the ice tonight.

Go Spits!!!

Reactions: OHL 17

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I think any offers coming in on Castle and C. Smith should be heavily considered regardless of the return.

Well. I think this Saginaw team has underperformed so far, not hopeful for the weekend. Our goalies are better than their stats show… but man, we really have two Offensive lines looking at the lineup for tonight. Here we go. I'm hopeful we just keep it close/competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohloutsider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad