Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Agree with Greentree. my point was even a top 4 pick doesn't always mean success. Wasn't a knock against the team for picking meidema he just hasn't flourished for such a high pick.
We can talk about Greentree till we are blue in the face we all know how good he is. He was drafted 22 months ago if we want him to have team success they better have a huge haul of players in two months. May not even be enough if you think he can make the NHL at 19.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
He actually has the same amount of points this season as he did with Windsor last season... in 18 more games. I liked his game and potential but his inconsistencies were not fun. Now, if we had Barlow... game, set, and match.
Could do a bit with actual coaching..

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Evola/Bowler have do some top-notch drafting to right the "Spits Ship". The gamble was made to trade all the best players this year, so let's see them complete their vision.

Reactions: Section 103

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Head scout is very credible, problem lies with GM that thinks he’s smarter than his scouts! Team has neglected D picks, he consistently picks guys that just dont have the drive/will/feistiness/compete…. Call it what you will but thats an issue that haunts this team.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So I'm sure I will hear it but playing 4 in 6 days with 3 in 2 1/2 days this loss is not surprising. I get it other teams do it as well and most end up with the same result, out of gas. They agreed to the schedule so it is what it is.
The Sunday night game was a surprise but the rest of the games pretty much stuck to the script. Nothing lost or nothing gained, still 11 points out of a playoff spot and quickly running out of tarmac. Only bad part is the Petes and Ice Dogs out lost us this weekend so Spits are now in 18th spot. Win 1 game in 4 and a couple of ties and there you have it. Friday in Guelph who seem also be in full struggle mode . That one might be closer than today. Be safe.
Agree with everything written especially the 4 games in 5-1/2 days with double travel against a rested home team with no travel,a huge factor not an excuse,was pleased overall with the 1st period despite the 3-2 trailing score could see the fatigue showing as game went on,myself would have taken Joey out after the 4th goal instead of the 6th,also heard from more then a couple of sourced that illness was going around the
team throughout the game didn't help either.
The loss the 1st in 5 in regulation for Windsor.
Spits 2-1-1-1 in their last 5,3-2-1-2 in their last 8 and 4-4-1-2 in their last 11.
Next games in Guelph and Owen Sound should be interesting looking forward to both,probably going to Guelph game on Friday.

Reactions: ohloutsider

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Evola/Bowler have do some top-notch drafting to right the "Spits Ship". The gamble was made to trade all the best players this year, so let's see them complete their vision.
I am actually looking forward to the draft in April,especially considering as I write this Spits have 16 picks in the draft with 7 of them in the 1st 4 rounds.
1-1st,2,2nd rounders,1 3rd rounder and 3 4th rounders.
Important to note 2 of the 2nd rounders will be like low 1st rounders as they have both Niagara's and Peterborough's picks and both won't be in the playoffs,as well 1 of the 4th's
is Niagara's.
Last year In comparison had 11 picks,including their 1st, and not a selection till the 5th round.
You mentioned about many of the better players were and most are playing well for their new teams,especially DeAngilis, Peer,Sobolev, Dionicio, Christopoulis, Mancini.
The only one dealt that really is struggling
is Center Jacob Maillet, dealt to Ottawa day before the deadline,in 17 games has 1G,5A,6 Pts, and is a -9.
With Windsor he started slowly only 9 points in his 1st 21 games,then the coaching change occurred and in his last 16 games here he had 23 points including 7G,16A,and was a +7 . In the 1st 21 games of the year he was a -16 but certainly got his game together.
Last yr he had 74 points in 67 games.
Too bad he is struggling a real nice young man that was a good leader here.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
We can talk about Greentree till we are blue in the face we all know how good he is. He was drafted 22 months ago if we want him to have team success they better have a huge haul of players in two months. May not even be enough if you think he can make the NHL at 19.
If Wyatt can do it… I don’t think Greentree is out of the realm. I see them listed at Same height, with Greentree having an extra 15 pounds - and that’s now.

Where Greentree ends up is the deciding factor. Drafted by an NHL team with up front depth, or a team in a down year, I think he stays. Contender that could use an extra body? May be worth burning year 1 of the entry level like with Wyatt.

Selfishly, I hope he stays. We got some good 06’ pieces we can build around, with hopefully Joey some confidence back and having a stellar OA season. I don’t see any other 05’s currently eyeing those OA spots here.

I am actually looking forward to the draft in April,especially considering as I write this Spits have 16 picks in the draft with 7 of them in the 1st 4 rounds.
1-1st,2,2nd rounders,1 3rd rounder and 3 4th rounders.
Important to note 2 of the 2nd rounders will be like low 1st rounders as they have both Niagara's and Peterborough's picks and both won't be in the playoffs,as well 1 of the 4th's
is Niagara's.
Last year In comparison had 11 picks,including their 1st, and not a selection till the 5th round.
You mentioned about many of the better players were and most are playing well for their new teams,especially DeAngilis, Peer,Sobolev, Dionicio, Christopoulis, Mancini.
The only one dealt that really is struggling
is Center Jacob Maillet, dealt to Ottawa day before the deadline,in 17 games has 1G,5A,6 Pts, and is a -9.
With Windsor he started slowly only 9 points in his 1st 21 games,then the coaching change occurred and in his last 16 games here he had 23 points including 7G,16A,and was a +7 . In the 1st 21 games of the year he was a -16 but certainly got his game together.
Last yr he had 74 points in 67 games.
Too bad he is struggling a real nice young man that was a good leader here.
Seems Peer and Christo did better here, but they’re not struggling in Michigan. Christo’s pushed down the depth chart in Saginaw. Peer debatably has less help then when we has here this year.

Glad they were moved for the sake of the franchise. Bummer about Maillet. I enjoyed watching him play. Responsible player, but was always a bit surprised when he’d get mentioned over the former on NHL teams radar. Hope he turns it around throughout the last month or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad