Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Given the significance of the coaching changes, I think it's fair to use that as the separation point. How did players perform before and after that point?

Cristoforo was a -22 prior to the change. In the nine games since the change, he's a 0. Is he weaker around the goal than he should be? Yes. We saw that with at least one goal in OS. Is he playing smarter overall? Yes. I want to see how he does as the season progresses to get a full picture of what's possible.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Before anyone gets their knickers in a knot. I was not saying Castle is Cristoforo. Castle had 43 ponts as a rookie and then?? Point being not all 1st rounders excel over the course of their ohl careers. Thankfully we took Greentree in the second round because if another team drafted him after we took 74, I would be bitching a storm.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Given the significance of the coaching changes, I think it's fair to use that as the separation point. How did players perform before and after that point?

Cristoforo was a -22 prior to the change. In the nine games since the change, he's a 0. Is he weaker around the goal than he should be? Yes. We saw that with at least one goal in OS. Is he playing smarter overall? Yes. I want to see how he does as the season progresses to get a full picture of what's possible.
As a group,goalies,dmen and forwards after 21 games prior to coaching change,team was allowing 5.67 goals against excluding empty netters,the last 10 games including 6 on the road 30 goals against excluding empty netters,3.00 huge difference, should mention 2 of those 10 games had 6 goals against excluding empty netters,the other 8 only 18 goals against 2.25 average, and that's with 4 rookie D,plus 17 year old Christoforo.
Should also mention 1st 21 games PP was at around 17 % effiency last 10 games 23%, last 6 games 25%,PK 1st 21 games 70% last 10 89.5%, 25-28,last 6 games 91%.
There has been significant improvements in all areas,goaltending, defense and forwards,special teams and committment to detail in most games.
Hopefully the Xmas break doesn't ruin the momentum of late.

Reactions: Cherrydon

SPITS4EVER

Feb 10, 2023
Just looking at possible trade partners for Oliver Peer
see 3 teams in the east
mississauga
ottawa
hamilton

more than likely missy or Ottawa
missy has 2 07s as does Ottawa
Not sure if Peer would command an 07
but would imagine we could get at least a 2nd and 3rd for him
only other deal would be an upgrade for an overager for team X

dont see Mancini or Maillet going anywhere or anyone else for that matter
mabye Abraham
but see him as an OA for us next year

thoughts?
note: didn’t include 07 goalie for missy

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Just looking at possible trade partners for Oliver Peer
see 3 teams in the east
mississauga
ottawa
hamilton

more than likely missy or Ottawa
missy has 2 07s as does Ottawa
Not sure if Peer would command an 07
but would imagine we could get at least a 2nd and 3rd for him
only other deal would be an upgrade for an overager for team X

dont see Mancini or Maillet going anywhere or anyone else for that matter
mabye Abraham
but see him as an OA for us next year

thoughts?
note: didn’t include 07 goalie for missy
Peer would be an upgrade on OA's for most teams but don't think you would see a player back. If you do it would take away any 2nds or 3rds on the table.
I think 1 of Peer or Maillet will move but not both. Also think there will be interest in Abraham possibly Michelone. Beyond that I don't see much movement.
And as always I'm likely wrong, LoL.

• Haha
Reactions: Section 103

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Mississauga's 07 that can be traded is Ivankovic and I'd be floored if that was even considered for Peer. It would likely require a bigger move and... I just don't see it. Outside of Van Volsen, is there an 06 that would fit what Windsor needs? I'm not sure. They have lots of picks, esp 2nds in 2025, but I'd want a player in return, too

Ottawa doesn't have a ton of picks but maybe a guy like Hilton, who's a bigger 06 that plays physical. Windsor could use that. Do the 67's deal him and a couple of picks for Peer? I don't know. They also have Caden Kelly, an 06 who was chosen with one of the picks Ottawa got for Maggio. He had a solid U16 season, offensively, so maybe he could breakout?

Brantford is basically Peer's backyard (Burlington). The issue with them is that they're 04 and 05 heavy. Two of their three 06s are former first rounders, which I doubt they move for Peer. Maybe they look at Cole Brown, who's a large 05? He's a NJ pick, though, so he might only have one more season. If they could find a way to get Tester or Vanacker, along with a pick (the Bulldogs have picks in nearly every round for the next few seasons), it's something to look at.

I don't see Mancini being moved; he's really stepped up as a leader and I like his overall attitude off the ice. Abraham's future is in his own hands. He's done well over the last week or so. If he can continue that until the deadline, I see his value next season as an OA. If this success is the exception and not the rule, then you deal him for something reasonable, given he's an 04.

Maillet could be moved but I'm not sure they get the value they need for him.

As important as the last month has been to getting this team together and moving in the right direction, I think the two weeks btwn Boxing Day and the deadline are going to be just as important for the team.

Reactions: punch1943

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The Spits have a long history of dealing their 1st pick of each draft before graduation. Since 2009 draft the Spits have traded their 1st pick of each year's draft 9 times out of 15 drafts. Brassard, Webermin, Maletta, Ho-Sang, Moore, Stanley,Villardi, Staois, Miedema al moved Foudy never made it back due to Covid rule, Johnston stayed in the NHL. So remove those 2, it leaves only Corcoran who truly played his entire career as a Spit. Abraham, Cristoforo and Nesbitt. The last 3 are still in play. Competing teams will sell their soul to improve to make a run knowing they'll struggle for 2-3 years afterwards. BB could demand a quality player in return for Peer and may just pull that off. Nesbitt 07 is the only 07 playing so far so we need quality youth. Tells me BB didn't think this team would struggle as much as they have.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm trying to think of a reason they would deal Nesbitt but, short of getting a talented 06 in return, I'm not seeing it. You're not going to deal him and picks for a major 05 or 04, as there's no point to that this season. He hasn't had a chance to really show what he can do so a "change of scenery" doesn't make sense. Unless you find a way to deal him and a pick for a proven 05 or 06 and a pick, but I can't see that, either.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'm trying to think of a reason they would deal Nesbitt but, short of getting a talented 06 in return, I'm not seeing it. You're not going to deal him and picks for a major 05 or 04, as there's no point to that this season. He hasn't had a chance to really show what he can do so a "change of scenery" doesn't make sense. Unless you find a way to deal him and a pick for a proven 05 or 06 and a pick, but I can't see that, either.
I wasn't remotely suggesting of dealing Nesbitt. Way too early to tell whar we got with him. Given top 6 roll later this year and see if he develops. Big kid fitting that body takes a little time. He is our only 07 regular roster player.

Reactions: ohloutsider

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Aaaaand looking at that list im scratching my head at a number of those #1 picks…
Price needs to be right but anyone outside of the last 2 drafts should be available.

Reactions: OHLTG

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Connor Lockhart who has similar numbers to Peer over the last couple seasons went for a 3rd and a 5th. There’s no way in Hell you’re getting an ‘07 for Peer. If even one 2nd is involved with anything else, count your blessings.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Aaaaand looking at that list im scratching my head at a number of those #1 picks…
Price needs to be right but anyone outside of the last 2 drafts should be available.
Rychel was the creator of both the picks and the trades. BB only has dealt Miedema in his tenure so far.....

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
50 plus minutes away isn't that close..
Windsor7 , to say " Right in my back yard" is basically an old saying that many people use in all walks of life when referring to something in an area they are familiar with. OGHLT was just making a general statement regarding Peer being from Burlington. As far as distance in the OHL a 50 minute drive is peanuts. I believe Hockey Pops must of been bored as hell when he responded. In the Soo a 53 minute drive is going to the store to get a bag of chips and a pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad