Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Yes I have tempered my expectations but I still think he will improve.
Remember when Maggio got traded to the Spits? He was called out here many times on not been worth those picks and it was nothing more than a favor to get him here.
Some kids just take longer to develop.
Maggio never played a shift of defense when he was on the ice. Floated.

Actually you answered for me re Christoforo in the London,gets wiped out on the play illegally, London scores he get hit with a - and it wasn't me that brought up the plus minus numbers I only responded for proper context for other players then.
Moving goal posts..
All stats matter.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Re Morneau - what you see is what you get. He's a solid defensive forward who works his tail off on the ice and is good in the room/community. Will he be back as an OA? Doubtful. Is he sufficient right now on the fourth line teaching the younger ones? Yes. Keep expectations realistic and you won't be disappointed with him.

Re Cristoforo - He blocks shots, has offensive potential, and the NHL is watching. He was also thrown into the fire as a 16 year old and even more this season. Is he ready for that? Debatable. Right now, he's a decent player with the potential to be good or even great with the right coaching. Smith and Delmore weren't the right ones for him but he seems to be better under Torres and Bowler. It's a step. Also, the whole "was the hit illegal or not" thing... we all know OHL officiating isn't great. Look at the replay - it LOOKS like it's interference. Just because the officials didn't call it doesn't mean much. Regardless, they still lost 6-2.

I would like to see Cristoforo up front, I think he has potential as a winger. Will they do that? I doubt it.

Oh, as for Maggio - MVP, can produce, play strong at both ends, and was a leader off the ice. I'll take a dozen of him every season, please.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Re Morneau - what you see is what you get. He's a solid defensive forward who works his tail off on the ice and is good in the room/community. Will he be back as an OA? Doubtful. Is he sufficient right now on the fourth line teaching the younger ones? Yes. Keep expectations realistic and you won't be disappointed with him.

Re Cristoforo - He blocks shots, has offensive potential, and the NHL is watching. He was also thrown into the fire as a 16 year old and even more this season. Is he ready for that? Debatable. Right now, he's a decent player with the potential to be good or even great with the right coaching. Smith and Delmore weren't the right ones for him but he seems to be better under Torres and Bowler. It's a step. Also, the whole "was the hit illegal or not" thing... we all know OHL officiating isn't great. Look at the replay - it LOOKS like it's interference. Just because the officials didn't call it doesn't mean much. Regardless, they still lost 6-2.

I would like to see Cristoforo up front, I think he has potential as a winger. Will they do that? I doubt it.

Oh, as for Maggio - MVP, can produce, play strong at both ends, and was a leader off the ice. I'll take a dozen of him every season, please.
Was only 1 side of the ice.
And had to give him the puck always. Even when he was in no position to receive it.
74 scared of any physical play.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You give me a guy who's going to score 50 a season, I'm giving him the puck, too. I rack up the assists, he racks up the goals. Who am I to argue that?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You give me a guy who's going to score 50 a season, I'm giving him the puck, too. I rack up the assists, he racks up the goals. Who am I to argue that?
If u can't stop the puck going back other way..

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Im not moving Cristo. Hes having a snake bit kinda 2nd year. It happens. Last year gives him a long leash. I also believe he has been hurt by terrible coaching and now no real defensive coach. That hurts a kid thats already struggling. Talk to me next year. This coaching debacle has hurt a number of promising players, its why i insist they need coaching addressed soon! Bowler is not a coach, torres is a skills guy nothing more. Someone said those available have been fired, that’s fine, but realize most coaches even the good ones have been fired at some time. There are guys out there more than capable of doing the job, the questions are, how much is ownership willing to spend and who is willing to work with Bowler???

Reactions: punch1943

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Im not moving Cristo. Hes having a snake bit kinda 2nd year. It happens. Last year gives him a long leash. I also believe he has been hurt by terrible coaching and now no real defensive coach. That hurts a kid thats already struggling. Talk to me next year. This coaching debacle has hurt a number of promising players, its why i insist they need coaching addressed soon! Bowler is not a coach, torres is a skills guy nothing more. Someone said those available have been fired, that’s fine, but realize most coaches even the good ones have been fired at some time. There are guys out there more than capable of doing the job, the questions are, how much is ownership willing to spend and who is willing to work with Bowler???
There really is no purpose in moving him now. If he's still struggling this time next year then we can certainly have that discussion.

You say this about addressing the coach but I asked before. Who would take this job right now? Why would they take this job??

I wouldn't be surprised that the reason there hasn't been movement on a coach is because Bowler isn't guaranteed to return.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
More news... Spitfires' prospect D Gage Evans was is going to the GOJHL Top Prospects Game. He has eight points and 33 PIM in 26 games for LaSalle. Spitfires' 14th rounder in 2022.

As far as DJ Smith goes - he has to be a candidate. Maybe he wants to stick in the NHL but adding the Spitfires' mess to his resume, if he can turn them around, would be incredible.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Do the Spits have their next Head Coach?
Maybe that's what is keeping Colton in the line-up lol. Feel bad for DJ. Management in Ottawa has made one moves in recent years handcuffed Smith. New ownership and Staios in charge I knee his days were numbered without a remarkable season turnaround.

Wonder about conflict of interest as Spitfire owners are part owners in Ottawa of the NHL.
Valid point unless the Savages are trying to or planninh to sell the club. They are paying Smith anyways for his NHL contract so maybe it is a fire/reassignment to the Spits lol.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
More news... Spitfires' prospect D Gage Evans was is going to the GOJHL Top Prospects Game. He has eight points and 33 PIM in 26 games for LaSalle. Spitfires' 14th rounder in 2022.

As far as DJ Smith goes - he has to be a candidate. Maybe he wants to stick in the NHL but adding the Spitfires' mess to his resume, if he can turn them around, would be incredible.
Is there even a list?
Wasn't a list last time Bowler n company were looking..

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Strange timing with the Senators in AZ. STAIOS doing a zoom call later. Maybe didn't want to confront the reporters first hand. They also relieved Assistant Davis Payne but kept rest of coaching staff but Martin takes over with Alfredsson joining as an AC

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I doubt DJ wants to step back down to the Spits. He will look across the NHL first. He will get paid for at least the rest of this year.

But he is everything the Spits need and there is history. Also bad news for Colton. He would have to step it up a bit. Again too bad but it likely is not happening.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I doubt DJ wants to step back down to the Spits. He will look across the NHL first. He will get paid for at least the rest of this year.

But he is everything the Spits need and there is history. Also bad news for Colton. He would have to step it up a bit. Again too bad but it likely is not happening.
Plus he has another year left with Ottawa at around 3 mil per year.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Plus he has another year left with Ottawa at around 3 mil per year.
Compensation for terminated coaches is usually contingent on the terminated individual NOT accepting another coaching position ANYWHERE. That happens, and goodbye $ 3 mil. Accepting the HC position anywhere in the OHL would mean a very drastic pay cut, and I sincerely doubt that Windsor would be offering anything 1/10 of what Smith stands to collect. Nostalgia is OK, but not when it stands to cost you a big bundle of cash.:badidea:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
He can "volunteer " like Mike Babcock did with the University of Saskatchewan for 2 years as head coach and another year as special advisor for the University of Vermont until his Leaf contract had expired

Reactions: hockeylegend11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad