Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Why do they keep using Peer for shootouts. He hasn't scored many breakaway goals this year.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Well the Spits made it hard on themselves to squeak that one out. Costanzo played excellent. 1st goal maybe soft but he had no chance on OS 3rd period goals with assists to minus on both of them. Nice to win going on the break.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Spits now only 8 points out of 8th place. Lots of games coming up against Flint and Sarnia so it might get interesting. Now I'm not sure dropping out of the draft lottery is maybe the best for them but being competitive is. It will be an interesting finish especially with the trade deadline just around the corner.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If they can be competitive and make it a real race, win or lose, it's going to benefit them in the long run. The deadline will determine a fair bit but they've set themselves up for a competitive second half which, at this point, is better than almost anything pre-December.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Does anyone know really what the deal is with Castle? Card has been already spent. His points per game and plus minus is better than a few regulars, but he's not seeing any ice. Hopefully not a private personal matter. Maybe asked to be traded and no takers yet? His plus/minus is twice as good than say Morneau and has only 1 point less with 10 fewer games played. I realize Castles effort game in game out is questionable but Smith fits that same issue but continues to be in games. Both 04's. Smith did play well last night

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Does anyone know really what the deal is with Castle? Card has been already spent. His points per game and plus minus is better than a few regulars, but he's not seeing any ice. Hopefully not a private personal matter. Maybe asked to be traded and no takers yet? His plus/minus is twice as good than say Morneau and has only 1 point less with 10 fewer games played. I realize Castles effort game in game out is questionable but Smith fits that same issue but continues to be in games. Both 04's. Smith did play well last night
Re Castle might be true no takers yet he had a good exhibition season 3G,1A in 5 games a +1,was okay in 1st 9games,2A,3A better then a few,since then 2A in last 10 games and a non factor when he played,while I agree with your comparison to Smith a former 2nd rounder, Castle a 1st,don't agree with the comparative with Morneau a 15th rounder here more for his defensive play then offensive.
I don't see him around by deadline time,and Windsor will probably be on the hook for the balance of his gold education package traded or waived imo,price of doing business.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Castle is an interesting situation. He was hurt in November but the majority of his scratched time has been healthy. Torres has said that you have to earn your way into the lineup. Maybe he's just not beating out the others. We've seen tiny bursts of potential, and he's been on the top two lines, but there hasn't been nearly enough to warrant full time ice. If they can get a pick for him, maybe it'll be another fresh start.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Re Castle might be true no takers yet he had a good exhibition season 3G,1A in 5 games a +1,was okay in 1st 9games,2A,3A better then a few,since then 2A in last 10 games and a non factor when he played,while I agree with your comparison to Smith a former 2nd rounder, Castle a 1st,don't agree with the comparative with Morneau a 15th rounder here more for his defensive play then offensive.
I don't see him around by deadline time,and Windsor will probably be on the hook for the balance of his gold education package traded or waived imo,price of doing business.
I know you are high on Morneau but facts are he is the 7th worst +/- player in the entire OHL. Tom's is the worst and Cristoforo is second worst. These numbers are not for Spits players, it's the entire league. Hard to entertain comments praising his defensive skills knowing the reality is not good. Same goes for Cristoforo in my book. The other 06 D's Walton and Woodall both have way better defensive skills and Woodall equally offensive skill. He is like a .5 ppg and Cristoforo is a .6 ppg. Both Woodall and Cristoforo play a more offensive style game but Woodall is way more active defending and has grit. Considering AC has 97 total Ohl games played compared to Woodall's 27 and Walton's 32 it is not even close to those are truly on the upswing and who is stuck not improving. My first move Winegard is in for Tom's permanently barring any injuries. You don't need 2 smaller offensive gifted D 06 plyers. Hence why I would move Cristoforo while you can. Remove the 2 worst OHL minus players in the league. Out of 521 that have played a game this year. No one can tell me that the close call last night was not solely on 74. As bad as Niagara is their worst player is only -15.

Reactions: oldPeng

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I know you are high on Morneau but facts are he is the 7th worst +/- player in the entire OHL. Tom's is the worst and Cristoforo is second worst. These numbers are not for Spits players, it's the entire league. Hard to entertain comments praising his defensive skills knowing the reality is not good. Same goes for Cristoforo in my book. The other 06 D's Walton and Woodall both have way better defensive skills and Woodall equally offensive skill. He is like a .5 ppg and Cristoforo is a .6 ppg. Both Woodall and Cristoforo play a more offensive style game but Woodall is way more active defending and has grit. Considering AC has 97 total Ohl games played compared to Woodall's 27 and Walton's 32 it is not even close to those are truly on the upswing and who is stuck not improving. My first move Winegard is in for Tom's permanently barring any injuries. You don't need 2 smaller offensive gifted D 06 plyers. Hence why I would move Cristoforo while you can. Remove the 2 worst OHL minus players in the league. Out of 521 that have played a game this year. No one can tell me that the close call last night was not solely on 74. As bad as Niagara is their worst player is only -15.
I agree about Morneau but not Cristoforo. Ya he has been bad defensively but I still see the potential. I just think he has suffered the most from lack of proper coaching. He blocked 3 shots last night. That is something he has finally realized he needs to do. It is getting better.
Lastly he is playing top pairings and as a 17yr old not ideal.

Lots of praises on here for Morneau but on any other team he is watching from the bleachers. For me he is a placeholder until some of the younger players are ready.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
That's a loss..

Castle is an interesting situation. He was hurt in November but the majority of his scratched time has been healthy. Torres has said that you have to earn your way into the lineup. Maybe he's just not beating out the others. We've seen tiny bursts of potential, and he's been on the top two lines, but there hasn't been nearly enough to warrant full time ice. If they can get a pick for him, maybe it'll be another fresh start.
What a waste of a card..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I agree about Morneau but not Cristoforo. Ya he has been bad defensively but I still see the potential. I just think he has suffered the most from lack of proper coaching. He blocked 3 shots last night. That is something he has finally realized he needs to do. It is getting better.

Lots of praises on here for Morneau but on any other team he is watching from the bleachers. For me he is a placeholder until some of the younger players are ready.
Re Morneau how do explain last year as a rookie primarily 3rd or 4th liner he was a +1 and last year Windsor averaged 4.50 goals for per game,this 3.25.
Also since the coaching change he is a -2 in the 10 games played.
Should mention last year Jacob Maillet was a +37
This year a -15 ,and since the coaching change -3 in his last 10 games.
Christoforo last year was a +10,this year a -21,though again since the coaching change his last 9 games missed one of 10 he is a -2,and 1 of those goals happened the other night vs London,1st goal of game when he was interfered with and knocked down no call on the play.
Should also mention Oliver Peer was a +17 last year,this year a -14, last 10 games +1
I eagerly await your explanations and Cherrydon 's as well to the info provided.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Re Morneau how do explain last year as a rookie primarily 3rd or 4th liner he was a +1 and last year Windsor averaged 4.50 goals for per game,this 3.25.
Christoforo last year was a +10,this year a -21,though again since the coaching change his last 9 games missed one of 10 he is a -2,and 1 of those goals happened the other night vs London,1st goal of game when he was interfered with and knocked down no call on the play.
Should also mention Oliver Peer was a +17 last year,this year a -14, last 10 games +1
I eagerly await your explanations and Cherrydon 's as well to the info provided.
I don't have to explain it, you do it for us. As soon as you start grabbing " selective" stats to fit your narrative it goes out the window. Game is not played on a stat sheet so they are mostly meaningless. Especially plus/minus.

One of your defense statements was Christforo was knocked down on an uncalled penalty so therefore he should not be charged a minus for that goal?

I'm a big eye test guy and Morneau has not passed that as of lately.

Remember all of this is just an opinion, just like yours.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

I agree Cristoforo has offensive potential but. Never will be an aggressive shutdown D. Woodall offers the same offensive potential with much less experience and has the inner competitive grit. Look how Walton has improved with each game played. Honestly 74 would make a better forward. Some compared 74 to Ryan Ellis last year Ryan Ellis had 89 points in year 2 and was plus 52. Cristoforo lacks a threatening shot. Not even close imo.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I agree Cristoforo has offensive potential but. Never will be an aggressive shutdown D. Woodall offers the same offensive potential with much less experience and has the inner competitive grit. Look how Walton has improved with each game played. Honestly 74 would make a better forward. Some compared 74 to Ryan Ellis last year Ryan Ellis had 89 points in year 2 and was plus 52. Cristoforo lacks a threatening shot. Not even close imo.
Yes I have tempered my expectations but I still think he will improve.
Remember when Maggio got traded to the Spits? He was called out here many times on not been worth those picks and it was nothing more than a favor to get him here.
Some kids just take longer to develop.

Reactions: Cherrydon

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I don't have to explain it, you do it for us. As soon as you start grabbing " selective" stats to fit your narrative it goes out the window. Game is not played on a stat sheet so they are mostly meaningless. Especially plus/minus.

One of your defense statements was Christforo was knocked down on an uncalled penalty so therefore he should not be charged a minus for that goal?

I'm a big eye test guy and Morneau has not passed that as of lately.

Remember all of this is just an opinion, just like yours.
Actually you answered for me re Christoforo in the London,gets wiped out on the play illegally, London scores he get hit with a - and it wasn't me that brought up the plus minus numbers I only responded for proper context for other players then.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Actually you answered for me re Christoforo in the London,gets wiped out on the play illegally, London scores he get hit with a - and it wasn't me that brought up the plus minus numbers I only responded for proper context for other players then.
It wasn't illegal, there was no penalty. Your basing that as a fan with an opinion that doesn't agree with the officials.

Your "proper context" is based on selective stats that fit your narrative . It is not based on the full picture.

Anyway I still want to remain on speaking terms so I won't continue this any further. Keep safe.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
What does last year have to do with it?
Moving goal posts??

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
In regards to Morneau he has the last half of the year to show he's worth keeping around next year as an OA. As of now he isn't. People talk about getting a coach and that should be a priority. Roster management is a far larger priority imo. Look no further than keeping Jodoin around because Christopoulos was rehabbing. That was a waste of a card. Morneau has not been good and at some point you need to have a standard and expectation what is acceptable and what isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad