Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Here are my 10 takeaways from this weekend's 2 games
1- 10 different players scored at least 1 goal,including only 1 dman,not who u would think' Bronson Ride
2-12 players averagec a point or more per game only 1 D Christoforo-2A
3- 6 players averaged more then a point per game
4-4 players averaged 2 goals per game
Peer,Smith,, Maggio, Christopoulis,
5-6 players averaged more then a point per game,Peer,Abraham, Smith, Maggio, Christopoulis and Miedema.
6-11 players averaged a point or more per game
7-Even Strength goals -Windsor 11 Opposition-5
8- Only 6 skaters out of 20 used didn't register at least a point including 4D
9-PP for the games 2-14,PK 3-12
10-1 Shorthanded goal for and 1 against.
Great weekend for the spits, actually great start to the season. Lots of promise from the younger players.

FYI - Your 10 takeaways are actually 8 because 2 are identical (3&5, 2&6).

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Great weekend for the spits, actually great start to the season. Lots of promise from the younger players.

FYI - Your 10 takeaways are actually 8 because 2 are identical (3&5, 2&6).
Agree with you regarding the start and young players.
In other news Spits have traded 13th rd pick in 23,and a conditional one in 25 to Flint for goalie Ian Michelone a 2004 goalie who played 10 games last yr for Flint.
He averaged 4.34 and went 4-4.
Curious move, though it gives them a 3rd goalie with experience and can be brought up.
He is from Kanata and currently playing for Renfrew
With La Salle in need of another goalie besides Altiman,seeing Downey was dealt I can see Michelone going there.

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Onuska possibly tweaked that old injury? Seems like they wanted someone for insurance rather suddenly after moving out 2 goalies recently.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I wonder what it would cost to bring Mintyukov in from Saginaw - Hebek, Miedema + few seconds? He is an offensive defender, and it would tell the rest of the league we‘re all in this year. Name to keep an eye on nonetheless.

Logan Mailloux is a guy that could be moved - perhaps for cheaper than his NHL draft pedigree would warrant - he is from the Windsor area would immediately step in as Windsor’s #1. Just have to make sure his “history“ is behind him.

Christan Kyrou is another purely Offensive guy - he will conmand a lot - and rightfully so.

Ryan Mast is a kid to keep an eye on if things go south in Sarnia. I think he would be the perfect defender for this team - won’t come cheap.

If Owen Sound were to “struggle” - Sam Sedley is a good option. Could even return as an O/A next season and will be one of the better O/A defenders in the league. Good guy to keep an eye on.

A few others that could work: Jacob Holmes, Artyom Grushnikov, Braeden Hache

BB hasn’t shown willing to go hard after bigger names since becoming GM - he has more been more willing to go after Cheaper Guys that have some pedigree but are on the outs with their former team for whatever reason - he’s been very successful with it too.
I want no part of Mailloux. One Ben Johnson type was enough.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Two minor trades today. I'm glad Currie got a spot to play and I'm glad we got something because my expectations were low. Not that Currie's a low quality player, but it seemed like OA spots were pretty full across the board and looking around, he didn't look like he'd add much to a teams stat sheet… at least enough to justify moving out someone else. We got more than we got for Medina. Wishing Currie the best and I'm glad we got some sort of return because injuries aside, he wasn't cracking the lineup this year.

Michelone trade may be a depth move, but I'm not sure how I feel on it - but I trust the process after everything last year. From what I saw of Flint last year (which was quite a bit) I saw their major setback this season being their goaltending. Day and Michelone both looked lacking the experience/confidence and both felt a bit panicky in the crease. I haven't done any deep dives into the Ottawa/Flint trade, but Cranley for a 15th is looking like a steal right now for Flint as they needed experience in the crease and got it at a bargain.

The fact that we gave up a 13th and a conditional 10th for it, makes it really hard for me to hate it, although I don't really think there's all that much potential there for much more than an emergency backup… which I think could've been done from within.

If you would've told me last spring that 9 games in Windsor would be 6-3, I would've been sure that Wyatt was on this team. If you would've told me last spring Windsor would be 6-0-3, I would've been very confused how we got Cuylle back instead of him being in the AHL.

I'm still a few games behind and playing catchup watching them but from what I've seen I'm impressed.

Losing 3 games out of 9 by one goal is frustrating but at the same time, the Spitfires are playing competitive hockey with 3 16 year olds getting regular ice time.

Maggio's excelling as expected. Peer has got bashed a bit on here - but I'm a fan. Had Peer been drafted in Meidema's spot, I'd be right there ripping on him. But as a Free Agent, he's excelled all my hopes and is performing very well iMO. I caught a bit of the Niagara game and it was one of the best performances I've seen from Meidema. He seemed very involved when he was out there and the points make it easy to mention how he was looking better.

I think D could improve but I'd want to see something small. Unless we hit a sell year in the future, I hope Christoforo sticks around his OHL career here. I don't want to see Sobolev, Renwick, Christoforo or DeAngelis moved. I think Ride sticks it out, he seems to be learning his size. Jodoin/Hebek seem to be the odd ones out. While I think we can improve our Top 4, I don't want to see us move a current top 4. To be honest, I don't want to see Jodoin go. He's not typically a game changer, but this team has the potential for a Top 4 Conference Finish. Having a depth guy who can play his role anywhere when needed is a nice commodity to have.

Right Now - Another Deep playoff run requires a D Man. In January? I wouldn't be surprised if DeAngelis/Ride/Christoforo make strides for us to not need a DMan.

I'm fully confident with Onuska and Costanzo between the pipes. I do wish Downey was our #3, but I'm glad to see him getting ice time elsewhere as I'd be less confident with him as our #2.

It's still October, and it's a somewhat small sample size, but a lot of teams are 15% of the way in to the season. I'm again surprised where we stand, but happy to see the Spits playing competitive hockey, with solid depth.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I don't think Wyatt returns.

If Dallas was expecting a middle of the pack finish this year, I'd send him back. Save the year on his contract. Sure he'll develop more getting NHL minutes, but why waste 1/3 years on someone that's likely going to have a decent price tag come negotiations? Why risk injury of a (let's face it) smaller rookie when he could just play hella minutes in the OHL while he focuses on putting on some size?

One great reason to spend a year of a top prospects contract, when he'll contribute a bit on the lower lines this year, is for that depth to provide some additional offense in a year when you have a great shot at a deep playoff run. Dallas has that this year.

There is a lot of noise around the Stars with them talking he may get sent back… to me it seems more than normal. Which makes me think it's possible. But at the same time anytime Dallas is talking at all about Wyatt Johnston, it doesn't sound like good news for Windsor. That being said, The Spits seem to be doing pretty good without him. If he does return it's a nice bonus, and at least this team doesn't have that "Oh Now we're without Player A and Player B, we just can't do it".

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I'm Iffy on Mailloux. The negative press alone is enough to say no.

(I hate to do this..)

But.

20 years Ago, 15 … even 10 - what he did wasn't all that uncommon and never would've been mentioned. Not excusing his actions. Kid effed up. I'm glad as society things are different in some regards, especially to this issue. However (this is the part where I start looking like a (insert name here)… he is good at hockey.

The character, negative press, actions are all put into question when talking Mailloux. But from a the hockey side of things… all those negatives may come with a lower price tag for a First Round NHL Pick. Not to mention that would've gone higher than 31st in the draft had the issues not been surrounding him.

His actions were wrong. Period. He's good at hockey. Period.

Two separate things that are now together, which may have cost him a career… At the same time, this isn't the first time an 18 year old has had bad judgement in a situation. Should he suffer consequences beyond what he has? Likely. Would he help this team be a better on ice product? Likely. Would bringing him in push away fans that don't want him as a role model for the community? Possibly. Would his abilities on the back end help lead to more W's and a deeper playoff push? Possibly.

Will Windsor and London make a deal or even go as deep into this situation as I have? Unlikely.

I do see this team as a D Man Away and I see DeAngelis, Renwick, Christoforo, Ride and Sobolev as 5 very valuable pieces to the continued success of this 22/23 team.

Reactions: Section 103

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
There is also the contract/money issue with johnston. Contracts play a huge roll. Can he play at that level? Looks like it. Is his body ready for the grind? I dont think so. Are the stars in a spot if he stays? Yes.
Trams seem to worry less n less about the "9" games played issue n paying the player. Might be just me but the 40 game milestone (dressed or not I think, please correct me if I'm mistaken someone) where it burns a year on the entry level therefore accelerating the time to RFA n UFA is the bigger deal to teams. But yes I agree contract situation is a consideration.
With Wyatt, and this is from the outside looking in, I gotta think he gets the half year n then they decide.
Been thru it alot here. More than most teams but admittedly less so lately lol.
As long as the pro club has the best interest of players development first ya gotta ride with it.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Good to see someone had a spot for him. You have to think he’ll get dealt come Jan 10th to a contender and Kingston will be 😎 at that time…
Spits with their trades/ moves have actually gotten younger.
Getting Costanzo who is 17,Michelone who is 18,moving Downey who is 18 and Medina who is 20,acquired Johnston who is 19,and traded Curry who is 20
Works for me.
Only disappointed not acquiring an asset for Medina, too bad he was same age as Onuska, doubt he would have been let go, could have picked up an OA dman then,way things go.

Oct 3, 2019
It’s kind of embarrassing that Mailloux is playing hockey. Kid is a predator and should be punished for what he’s done sorry. I know that people will say he’s paid his dues! How about you put him in jail and let him feel what happens to predators.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
It’s kind of embarrassing that Mailloux is playing hockey. Kid is a predator and should be punished for what he’s done sorry. I know that people will say he’s paid his dues! How about you put him in jail and let him feel what happens to predators.

Have to tip your hat to Currie who has been sitting patiently in the stands waiting for a trade. Glad he was moved and hope he does well for Kingston.
Glad he found a landing spot.

Edit not sure why I copied first post here. That's not even worth responding to lol

Reactions: oldPeng

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Love how folks comment on stuff they know nothing about!
Johnston is definitely staying away from the tough spots.

Reactions: windsor7

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Love how folks comment on stuff they know nothing about!
Johnston is definitely staying away from the tough spots.

Occassionally tough to gauge what someone else knows on a forum like this ;).
As long as the convo is respectful no biggie.
I don't know what others know for sure, nor does any1 on here for the most part.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Obviously a knights fan. You should be embarrassed too. Obviously you don’t have girls.
Again not worth commenting on Mallioux.
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I'm free to DM if you wanna continue and not waste everyone's time.
I'd love to hear why you think I should be embarrassed for offering no comment.

Earlofpoundcake

Sep 22, 2018
I'm Iffy on Mailloux. The negative press alone is enough to say no.

(I hate to do this..)

But.

20 years Ago, 15 … even 10 - what he did wasn't all that uncommon and never would've been mentioned. Not excusing his actions. Kid effed up. I'm glad as society things are different in some regards, especially to this issue. However (this is the part where I start looking like a (insert name here)… he is good at hockey.

The character, negative press, actions are all put into question when talking Mailloux. But from a the hockey side of things… all those negatives may come with a lower price tag for a First Round NHL Pick. Not to mention that would've gone higher than 31st in the draft had the issues not been surrounding him.

His actions were wrong. Period. He's good at hockey. Period.

Two separate things that are now together, which may have cost him a career… At the same time, this isn't the first time an 18 year old has had bad judgement in a situation. Should he suffer consequences beyond what he has? Likely. Would he help this team be a better on ice product? Likely. Would bringing him in push away fans that don't want him as a role model for the community? Possibly. Would his abilities on the back end help lead to more W's and a deeper playoff push? Possibly.

Will Windsor and London make a deal or even go as deep into this situation as I have? Unlikely.

I do see this team as a D Man Away and I see DeAngelis, Renwick, Christoforo, Ride and Sobolev as 5 very valuable pieces to the continued success of this 22/23 team.
You seem to be struggling between ignoring Mailloux’s crime and his talent.

Let me help you. Had he done what he did here in Ontario he would not have been only fined; he would have been arrested and charged and gone to court. His professional career would most definitely and understandably be over. Him being drafted at all was a slap in the face to women. He was rewarded for his talent yet his criminal actions ( which he plead guilty to) were ignored.

His crime should follow him professionally like any other person. He should need to pass a criminal background check just like his billet parents had to do to billet, and like most other people do to attain a professional job.

Mailloux is not an “ asset” by any means. And I for one will never support a team who employs him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad