Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
No doubt after the 6 scrimmages scheduled tomorrow prior to the Blue and White game on Saturday at 4.00 we will a clearer picture to the makeup of this team for the coming season.
Hopefully we will see a surprise or 2
Players I want to see in a game type situation include goalies Froggett and Altiman,Dmen,Crisp, Winegard, Christoforo, Masterson,Hebek Forwards,Davis,Beck,Hagiwara, Greentree, Legault, Spellacy,Morneau, along with guys from last year ,O'Flagherty,Miedema, Martin and Birkett.
Also want to see where Colton Smith fits in upfront.
Assuming Johnston starts the year in Dallas,I can see Abraham lining up with Mathew Maggio and Colton Smith.
Really looking forward to tomorrow and the B/W game.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well with 3 of the 6 scrimmage games scheduled for today and tonight over with here is my redacted report ha ha
All teams with 2 games each in the books,Team Blue is 2-0,Team White 1-1 and Team Red is 0-2.
Things that stood out for me is that with the exception of Kyle Downey who allowed 3 goals in 1/2 game of work and Pablo Frasca who allowed 4 goals in his 1/2 game appearance,6 other goalies played well to very good.
Matias Onuska was the only goalie of 9 in camp who did not play this am.
Rookie 16 year old goalie Carter Froggett a 6th round pick was outstanding allowed 1 goal and he played a game and a half for his team showed great glove,position and angle play,young man appears to have a bright future,17 year old tenders Josh Branton and Trey Altiman performed very well,Luka Dobrich was solid as was Xavier Medina and Tyler Bouck ,but by far Frogett was the best of the bunch this am in the cage.
Here are players for the various teams that I thought had a good am,looking forward to seeing how they do tonight.
Before I do will say was very impressed with all 6 of the Spits 1st 6 draft picks from the -17 draft and 2 of 3 from the U18 draft,along with the Dman from Chechia Tomas Hebek,looked solid this am offensively and defensively.

For Team Blue,dmen Nick Deangelis and James Jodoin led the way along with the aforementioned Hebek,particularly DeAngilis who had 2G and 2A in the am,along with solid work
Upfront Jacob Maillet, 2nd rounder Liam Greentree,17 year old rookie Alex Stewart who 2 goals this am,along with Noah Morneau,Josh Currie and Wylie Birkety had solid outings
For Team White,at forward impressed with the efforts from Mathew Maggio, Alex Christopoulos, Ryan Abraham ,Colton Smith who had 2 or 3 goals this am,and rookies Cole Davis and Kei Hagiwara, from the D ,Danill Sobelev and especially rookie 1st Anthony Christoforo who made a couple of great defensive plays throughout the morning along with 17 year old Jacob Crisp who was steady most of the morning.
For Team Red despite them being 0-2 for the morning really liked the hitting and speed of forwards AJ Spellacy,Chris O'Flaherty, Oliver Peer, and Jack Dean,and the D work from Michael Renwick who had 4 points in the 2 games, steady work from Bronson Ride and rookie Evan Sofikitis.
I see improvement from 17 year old forwards Ethan Miedema and Ethan Martin especially their speed, particularly Martin,looking forward to seeing these 2 as camp progresses.
17 year old forward Jack Greenwell and 17 year old dman Tanner Winegard both who played in LaSalle last year as 16 year olds had me wanting more from both this am,and both will need to improve to have a chance at cracking this squad this year.
All in all nice start to the camp,looking forward to tonight's action.
Lastly scores were Game 1 Team Blue 2-0 over Team White
Game 2 White 4 Red 2
Game 3 Blue 5 Team Red 4

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
To busy to get there, thanks for heads up. Hearing much the same as you posted. Im hearing Froggy was so solid my guy thinks he may steal backup spot! Cristo looked solid as you said. Import looked ready to fit in. But i was told Miedema still looks off pace and disinterested?? Can you elaborate?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
To busy to get there, thanks for heads up. Hearing much the same as you posted. Im hearing Froggy was so solid my guy thinks he may steal backup spot! Cristo looked solid as you said. Import looked ready to fit in. But i was told Miedema still looks off pace and disinterested?? Can you elaborate?
Froggett very solid again tonight in his appearance, been the best goalie in camp so far,good to see him playing tomorrow in the Blue and White game.
Lineups are up on the website, Medina,Onuska and Downey will not play tomorrow the other 6 goalies are all scheduled to play/ dress,several other players not dressing either including forwards Maggio,Maillet, Johnston, Currie, along with Dmen,Renwick, Sobolev, DeAngilis, Jodoin and Hebek.
As for tonight's action,the goalies again most of them played well as the 3 game scores were Game 4,White 5 Red 1,Game 5 ,Red 4 Blue 2,and Game 6 White 3 Blue 1.
As for Miedema I thought he was better tonight ,did get involved, goalies Froggett, Altiman,Dobrich played very well.
Oliver Peer,Chris O'Flaherty ,Mathew Maggio, Colton Smith,Jacob Maillet all played well upfront along with rookies Cole Davis,Jack Dean,AJ Spellacy, Lucas Legault and Liam Greentree.
Looking forward to tomorrow's Blue / White game.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Spoke to one of the Hockey Scouts there and he relayed the following regarding morning games only:

Froggett best goalie.
Regulars he didnt want to comment except that they were good.
Rookies- Forwards- Spellacy was great with speed and shot. DiChristofaro has skill and good skater but has to improve sense of urgency. Greentree average. Davis ok. Dean ok.
Dmen- Hebek import fantastic and big and good skater and smarts. Evans, ODell, Crisp and Eke looked good at different times.

Martin's skating was so so. Ride a large presence but made simple passes look difficult to execute. Jodoin should be Utility Forward.

Reactions: windsor7 and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I echo a lot of what's already been said.

Froggett has been very solid so far. He has a poise about him and I really like how vocal he is. I was behind the far bench and could hear him directing traffic and supporting the linemates. It's not something we've seen in a while and I appreciate it. Don't be shocked if he earns some playing time in the pre-season... and maybe beyond.

I really like Spellacy's game; he's quick, shows urgency, a good shot, and wants to be the best on the ice. I liked Greentree, too. His size is welcomed and he's got some quickness. O'Flaherty is becoming a bit of a beast out there; great speed, happy to use his shot, crashes the net, and throws the body. Christopoulos is similar; he's on another level with an impressive combo of speed and physical play. I see big things if he keeps this up.

Defensively, I like Renwick's willingness to do literally anything out there. He's a leader so far. Cristoforo is very calculated, good speed, good stick work. He's not going to run you over but he'll play the mental game and position himself well. Ride is a giant but it feels like he's growing into his game. He has the speed and a budding willingness to use his size, but he looks hesitant with the puck. Hebek looks like he's going to be a good one. Not flashy but quick, good pass, and is always talking to the coaches.

A couple of other notes...

I like Gaymes (15th rd) ability to get into the slot. He's not big but he's gutsy. Same with Sofitkis; not huge but has a drive to get the job done. Hajiwara is another who's small and you don't notice him, until he's in the crease battling. He won't give up his spot there and likes to get pucks on net.

Ethan Martin... kid's a giant who could have fun this season. I want to see more of his game.

There haven't been many players that you don't notice at some point, whether it's their speed, willingness to muck it up, a good play, or just their drive. Looking forward to the Blue-White game.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Game day- Team Blue vs Team White
A couple of thoughts going into this one,as I mentioned earlier been very impressed with all 6 of Windsor's 1st 6 players taken in the entry draft,from round 1 to round 6,4 forwards,1D and 1G,the 1st 3 have been signed, Christoforo (D),Greentree and Spellacy both F's,while 4th rounder Cole Davis (F),and 6th rounders Carter Froggett (G),and Jack Dean(F) are currently unsigned as we speak,and frankly would not have a problem if those 3 were all to get signed knowing full well only1 of them can be rostered regularly this coming season.
Davis is currently trying out with La Salle,Beck is trying out with a B team too,and Froggett is an AP player for the London Nationals in his hometown.
One thing I say so far about Froggett is that he is the best new goalie I have seen here since Micheal Dipietro and that's 7 years ago when Dipietro was 16 years old
His performance yesterday in 3 or 4 games yesterday was outstanding and the talk of the rink.
Spits have some thinking do to on this one.
Davis and Beck both played well in the 4 games they each played yesterday, if signed I see them both playing Jr B,with opps to get called up when needed.
Another player who has impressed is 17 year old goalie Ty Altiman who has signed already with La Salle,while not very big at 5'7" or 5'8" he was very impressive yesterday too in his body of work.
Players who played in LaSalle last year as 16 year olds forward Jack Greenwell and dman Tanner Winegard both need to upgrade their today in the Blue and White game to garner any consideration to play for Windsor this season.
Off the 4 free agents in camp,I have been most impressed with winger Lucas Legault(17) and another 17 year old dman Rylan Masterton, especially Legault yesterday in his last 2 games played.
Would like to add have been impressed with goalies Joshua Branton(17) and Luka Dobrich(19),along with forwards
Kei Hagawara,Alec Stewart,and Nathan Gaymes,and dmen Evan Sofikitis,Carson Woodall.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Interesting read of Brock's early top 30 draft predictions. His take on Miedema seems to mirror what Spits fans were posting last spring. He was surprised at his level of compete at the U18 camp.

Here's hoping he gets the message and shows us all wrong this year. He has all the tools just needs to rev up the engine more.

Thanks all for the camp updates. Not able to attend any this year.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Interesting read of Brock's early top 30 draft predictions. His take on Miedema seems to mirror what Spits fans were posting last spring. He was surprised at his level of compete at the U18 camp.

Here's hoping he gets the message and shows us all wrong this year. He has all the tools just needs to rev up the engine more.

Thanks all for the camp updates. Not able to attend any this year.

thats always the knock on him, amazing tools but not naturally competitive.

Reactions: Section 103

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Think if look to move him if hes worth something. Disappointing pick for sure. Hope we dont make another mistake and release a kid who ends up looking pretty damn good! The evaluation people currently here concern me with a few of their decisions.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Think if look to move him if hes worth something. Disappointing pick for sure. Hope we dont make another mistake and release a kid who ends up looking pretty damn good! The evaluation people currently here concern me with a few of their decisions.

You can say that they could have drafted someone else, totally valid. Look at how may drat picks they had. Miedema should be drafted but the 2020 1st round pick Abraham didn't get drafted and you still see people thinking he's great (not saying it's you.) Overall not shocked though. This ideal has be instilled here forever.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Didnt say they shoulda drafted someone else, thats done and over. What i said was maybe we move him, change of scenery for him and we get some pics back

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts on this afternoons B/W Game...

- 5-0 White final, which included multi-point outings from Miedema and Greentree (at least). Dobrich, Frasca, and Froggett combine for the shutout.

- From Team White, the ones that stood out (to me, at least) were Ride, Martin, Colton Smith, Miedema, Greentree, Peer, and Hagiwara.

- Ride's definitely quicker, throwing the weight around more, and building his confidence. He's not as polished as I had hoped for but that'll come in time. Martin was seriously focused; he builds speed and can be a train when he gets going. Creates offence but plays with an edge. At that size (someone said 6'6 220?), I'm hoping he gets some time in the pre-season. Colton Smith plays just like DJ but with more offence. That gritty, "bring it on" style. He mixed it up with a couple of players and the officials had to yell "he's not fighting!" to him (I believe against Colin Smith). Miedema and Greentree played well together. A bit more jump in their step today. Peer continues to be the happy-go-lucky guy who zips around the ice and creates chances. I think we'll see a Peer 2.0 this season. Finally, Hagiwara is tiny but I can see why they drafted him (even late). He's a shooter, not afraid to muck it up, and was having fun out there.

- Goaltenders, Froggett was the busier of the three and made some big saves. Still very vocal and likes playing the puck outside of the crease. Confident kid. I'm not sure where he's playing this season but 100% one to watch.

- For Team Blue, Evans, Spellacy, Greenwell, Abraham, O'Flaherty, and Christopoulos stood out. I like Evans' size and his willingness to use it. Got involved on more than one occasion. Spellacy comes as advertised. He'll take a bit of time to get used to the OHL pace once the season gets going but a nice combo of speed, size, and creativity. Greenwell showed more speed today and a nose for the net. Abraham was flying around, creating chances, and, when he wasn't with the puck, he was playing agitator. A few guys wanted a piece. O'Flaherty is going to be good; very quick, good shot, and still doesn't mind mucking it up. We were kind of waiting for him and Colton Smith to go at one point. Christopoulos was in beast mode again, creating chances, hitting people, and being that leader that the club needs.

- I'm not sure who's made the cut yet but I definitely believe you'll see a handful of rookies getting long looks. Evans, Winegard, Davis, Cristoforo, Martin, Greentree, Spellacy, and Birkett should all get pre-season time. Goaltending wise, Froggett deserves a look but I get the feeling he's going to get the ice in Jr A then come back next season. My gut says Medina, Onuska, Branton, and Downey start the pre-season as the goalies. Medina looks like he's having a blast out there; very personable with everyone. It's impressive.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
A few thoughts on this afternoons B/W Game...

- 5-0 White final, which included multi-point outings from Miedema and Greentree (at least). Dobrich, Frasca, and Froggett combine for the shutout.

- From Team White, the ones that stood out (to me, at least) were Ride, Martin, Colton Smith, Miedema, Greentree, Peer, and Hagiwara.

- Ride's definitely quicker, throwing the weight around more, and building his confidence. He's not as polished as I had hoped for but that'll come in time. Martin was seriously focused; he builds speed and can be a train when he gets going. Creates offence but plays with an edge. At that size (someone said 6'6 220?), I'm hoping he gets some time in the pre-season. Colton Smith plays just like DJ but with more offence. That gritty, "bring it on" style. He mixed it up with a couple of players and the officials had to yell "he's not fighting!" to him (I believe against Colin Smith). Miedema and Greentree played well together. A bit more jump in their step today. Peer continues to be the happy-go-lucky guy who zips around the ice and creates chances. I think we'll see a Peer 2.0 this season. Finally, Hagiwara is tiny but I can see why they drafted him (even late). He's a shooter, not afraid to muck it up, and was having fun out there.

- Goaltenders, Froggett was the busier of the three and made some big saves. Still very vocal and likes playing the puck outside of the crease. Confident kid. I'm not sure where he's playing this season but 100% one to watch.

- For Team Blue, Evans, Spellacy, Greenwell, Abraham, O'Flaherty, and Christopoulos stood out. I like Evans' size and his willingness to use it. Got involved on more than one occasion. Spellacy comes as advertised. He'll take a bit of time to get used to the OHL pace once the season gets going but a nice combo of speed, size, and creativity. Greenwell showed more speed today and a nose for the net. Abraham was flying around, creating chances, and, when he wasn't with the puck, he was playing agitator. A few guys wanted a piece. O'Flaherty is going to be good; very quick, good shot, and still doesn't mind mucking it up. We were kind of waiting for him and Colton Smith to go at one point. Christopoulos was in beast mode again, creating chances, hitting people, and being that leader that the club needs.

- I'm not sure who's made the cut yet but I definitely believe you'll see a handful of rookies getting long looks. Evans, Winegard, Davis, Cristoforo, Martin, Greentree, Spellacy, and Birkett should all get pre-season time. Goaltending wise, Froggett deserves a look but I get the feeling he's going to get the ice in Jr A then come back next season. My gut says Medina, Onuska, Branton, and Downey start the pre-season as the goalies. Medina looks like he's having a blast out there; very personable with everyone. It's impressive.
Decent pond hockey game..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Froggett and Dean amongst the cuts tonight after the game,I expect both back next year and making the team.
As for 4th round selection, winger Cole Davis would not surprise me if Windsor signs him,he plays the exhibition season and then plays the year with La Salle as one of their 2-16 year olds in the lineup,along with dman Carson Woodall,he was asked along with his parents to meet with team officials.
Still waiting to see full list of cuts made by team.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So what's the conclusion. He has more skill than their prior #1 pick who went undrafted and as if now didn't get a camp invite. That's not mean much but he has seemingly has gotten a pass. Why is that? Not saying this is directed at you but just in general.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I honestly think this is the big season for both Miedema and Abraham. While the latter got more ice, neither had a prominent role on the team. Give them permanent top-six ice from the start and let them develop into the next step. IF they don't perform like first-rounders, then figure out options.
This is what most are hoping for. You always want these kids to do well so hopefully this is how it plays out. For me both need to find their groove. Always time to up the game and get scouts attention.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I honestly think this is the big season for both Miedema and Abraham. While the latter got more ice, neither had a prominent role on the team. Give them permanent top-six ice from the start and let them develop into the next step. IF they don't perform like first-rounders, then figure out options.
Johnston didn't look like anything special in his rookie year. You have to be patient with rookies in this league. The age difference is huge. Plus 16 and 17 yos are still maturing physically and mentally. In most cases, it is also there first time away from home.

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Who is the odd man out for over ages? I think they will trade or release Currie and roll 4 OA's till Maggio is returned and Onuska is coming back off an injury at the tail end of last year so I think they will roll 3 goalies for now, sitting 1 overage goalie per game till they eventually trade Medina. Sound about right? Anyways who will be a surprise player that will make this club kinda like Peer did last year. I'm excited for another good season. I think spits can challange again to be a top team this season, a lot of returning players. Selfishly hoping we get Wyatt back this season because that would make this team a scary one. Anyways excited for the season.

Go Spits Go!!!👍🏒🥅

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
So what's the conclusion. He has more skill than their prior #1 pick who went undrafted and as if now didn't get a camp invite. That's not mean much but he has seemingly has gotten a pass. Why is that? Not saying this is directed at you but just in general.
Who's getting an undeserved pass in your eyes? Is it Bowler for the pick or Abraham for not living up to your expectations? Who was the guy they should have taken with that pick? Abraham had 15 points in 25 playoff games as a rookie, so it's beyond a stretch to say that it was a bad pick at #14. I personally don't think developing players for the NHL is quite as important as winning hockey games, although admittedly the two are interconnected. The argument can easily be made that a player who produces at the OHL level but isn't NHL drafted has more value than one who is NHL drafted, based on the likely extra season or seasons he may play before going pro. If Abraham were a top 5 pick or something maybe you would have a legit beef about the drafting, but it seems like reasonable value for a #14 pick to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad