Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agreed solid rebound win and effort last night vs the Hounds.
Onuska solid in goal on this night.
Scoring depth showed big guns scored Johnston and Zito,secondary scoring from Currie ,Abraham(2),Miedema, Henault.
Windsor is 2nd in the league in goals ,scoring average 4.27 goals per game.
Only Hamilton is higher at 4.46
Flint-4.21,Kingston and the Soo round out the top 5 in this category.
9 powerplays for the opposition on a poor performance by the officiating, Windsor killing 7 of them
Windsor now 7-1--1-1 in their last 10 games.
They continue their strong record against the 4 other top teams in conference.
Game this afternoon vs London a chance to even their season record,a Windsor win would see the record against London be 3-3-1-1,
Medina was 2-2-0-1 vs. London,Tovell 0-1,and Onuska is 0-0-1.
While I don't like playing a goalie 3 consecutive days I would think Windsor goes back to Onuska this afternoon.
He had more work last night,especially last 2 periods vs the Hounds,mainly due to PPS,even strength Hounds didn't do much.
Win today ,
important winning the games in hand on SSM ,and Flint 4 on each and distancing self from Guelph below.
Lineup changes I could see DeAngilis in for Ride and O'Flaherty in for Peer upfront not because of poor play,if it doesn't not bothered.
Rooting for Onuska to beat his former teammates today.
Finally for today's game would like to see Maggio and Cuylle do more offensively both have struggled a bit point wise last 2 nights, just 1 point between the 2,an assist for Cuylle last night.
D was solid last night need the same today.
Chance to pass the Hounds today with a win regulation or OT,doesn't matter,though I prefer a regulation win over the beloved Knights ha ha.
Should mention Windsor is 5-1 vs the Soo,5-0'0-1 vs Flint,3-1 vs Guelph and 2-3--1-1 vs London.
Onuska is 2-0--1-1 vs those 4 teams so far
1-0 vs Guelph, Soo,OT loss at London, Shootout loss 8 shooters at Flint.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Agreed solid rebound win and effort last night vs the Hounds.
Onuska solid in goal on this night.
Scoring depth showed big guns scored Johnston and Zito,secondary scoring from Currie ,Abraham(2),Miedema, Henault.
Windsor is 2nd in the league in goals ,scoring average 4.27 goals per game.
Only Hamilton is higher at 4.46
Flint-4.21,Kingston and the Soo round out the top 5 in this category.
9 powerplays for the opposition on a poor performance by the officiating, Windsor killing 7 of them
Windsor now 7-1--1-1 in their last 10 games.
They continue their strong record against the 4 other top teams in conference.
Game this afternoon vs London a chance to even their season record,a Windsor win would see the record against London be 3-3-1-1,
Medina was 2-2-0-1 vs. London,Tovell 0-1,and Onuska is 0-0-1.
While I don't like playing a goalie 3 consecutive days I would think Windsor goes back to Onuska this afternoon.
He had more work last night,especially last 2 periods vs the Hounds,mainly due to PPS,even strength Hounds didn't do much.
Win today ,
important winning the games in hand on SSM ,and Flint 4 on each and distancing self from Guelph below.
Lineup changes I could see DeAngilis in for Ride and O'Flaherty in for Peer upfront not because of poor play,if it doesn't not bothered.
Rooting for Onuska to beat his former teammates today.
Finally for today's game would like to see Maggio and Cuylle do more offensively both have struggled a bit point wise last 2 nights, just 1 point between the 2,an assist for Cuylle last night.
D was solid last night need the same today.
Chance to pass the Hounds today with a win regulation or OT,doesn't matter,though I prefer a regulation win over the beloved Knights ha ha.
Should mention Windsor is 5-1 vs the Soo,5-0'0-1 vs Flint,3-1 vs Guelph and 2-3--1-1 vs London.
Onuska is 2-0--1-1 vs those 4 teams so far
1-0 vs Guelph, Soo,OT loss at London, Shootout loss 8 shooters at Flint.

Windsor really has no choice but to play onuska. Someone ego still hurts probably...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with good win.
Played better hockey than Friday. Only 1 period took off.
Scoring from other lines.
Defense average, however normal now.
Onuska played solid. Keep playing him. No sympathy for bruised ego's.
Bigger test today. A win would be a great weekend. If not, well they got half the points..

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Onuska has not played enough games to be core tired. He will be fine today. Also curious on what happens to Downey's status if he starts a game with Windsor? They may have to protect his status so he he can still play games with LaSalle?

Nice to get the 2 points and as other posters have indicated 2 good periods and 1 tough one. Soo is a good team so they are not any easy out. Spits do seem to have their number which is nice if they meet up in the playoffs.

Both Soo and Windsor have 28 wins so a point today should put the Spits in 3rd? Maybe somebody can clear that up?

Windsor needs to clean up the penalty crap. Can't hope for the same outcome as last night when you play a full period shorthanded. Henault gets a cross check penalty ( which it was), a minute later O'Rourke does the same thing no call. That is what most fans get frustrated with - inconsistent OHL officiating. That is all we ask, call it the same both ways and most fans can live with how the game is called.

3rd game in 3rd day so gut check time. Noticed top 2 lines sat a good portion of the 3rd so they should be good today. Looking for a win and 2 points today. Spits seem to have figured out Brochu so keeping the puck out of our net is key. Have to/must stay out of the penalty box. with the 3 games you don't want your top guys burning out killing penalties.

Should be a good crowd and with the nice weather should see lots of London fans there today. Go Spits Go!

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Onuska has not played enough games to be core tired. He will be fine today. Also curious on what happens to Downey's status if he starts a game with Windsor? They may have to protect his status so he he can still play games with LaSalle?

Nice to get the 2 points and as other posters have indicated 2 good periods and 1 tough one. Soo is a good team so they are not any easy out. Spits do seem to have their number which is nice if they meet up in the playoffs.

Both Soo and Windsor have 28 wins so a point today should put the Spits in 3rd? Maybe somebody can clear that up?

Windsor needs to clean up the penalty crap. Can't hope for the same outcome as last night when you play a full period shorthanded. Henault gets a cross check penalty ( which it was), a minute later O'Rourke does the same thing no call. That is what most fans get frustrated with - inconsistent OHL officiating. That is all we ask, call it the same both ways and most fans can live with how the game is called.

3rd game in 3rd day so gut check time. Noticed top 2 lines sat a good portion of the 3rd so they should be good today. Looking for a win and 2 points today. Spits seem to have figured out Brochu so keeping the puck out of our net is key. Have to/must stay out of the penalty box. with the 3 games you don't want your top guys burning out killing penalties.

Should be a good crowd and with the nice weather should see lots of London fans there today. Go Spits Go!
I think the first was the only good period Windsor played. They only managed 11 shots in the final 2 periods. The Soo won’t be a good team unless any of their goalies start playing good. Tynan has been a bust for them.

Reactions: ohloutsider

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I heard his new mask is still not ready. He’s using a team front with his old head piece so it fits good enough to use. I’m sure we’ve all seen him lose his bucket a few times because it’s not fit to his head.

Reactions: Section 103

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I heard his new mask is still not ready. He’s using a team front with his old head piece so it fits good enough to use. I’m sure we’ve all seen him lose his bucket a few times because it’s not fit to his head.

I think its medina head piece.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Back around Christmas when McDonald and Medina were sat in some big games I had a feeling they missed more than a practice. Once McDonald was traded I was certain Medina would be heading out after that. The fact we're in what's debatably the biggest weekend of the regular season (London x2 and Soo), and Medina's unavailable is frustrating. However, every game I have more faith in Onuska. The goals he's given up lately have been when the D have hung him out to dry. But at the same time, a lot of those, he's making saves on. He doesn't really give up many flutter shots from the point and saves the pucks that he should be. For every "easy" one that gets by him, he's making up for it with two big saves few expect him to make, such as the near dozen breakaways Windsor's given up in the last few weeks. Love it or hate it, this is an offensive team, even the Defense. Having someone behind them they have confidence in, and can visualize how these 2 on 1's are going to go down, is huge. Onuska isn't the perfect goalie, he's often out of position and has limited OHL experience, especially for an 02. However, this team seems to radiate more confidence on the ice with him between the pipes than Medina. It's nice to see him skate up and get included on the goal celebrations as well. I know that's kind of made it's way out of hockey on some teams but I see it is more of a sense of unity within the club. Can I say for sure, absolutely not, I'm not in that room, but it seems like a lot of the guys have been on the same page, at least on the ice.

What I don't get is messing with Maggio/Cuylle/Johnston. They started the game yesterday, went 3-0 in the first, and in the second they had Zito up on the top line, Maggio on the second. This is nothing against Zito but it seems known by now that Johnston has strong chemistry with Cuylle and Maggio. Why mess with it. Damico/Abraham/Zito get going together too. All three of these players have some similar characteristics, but Damicos got a good shot, Abrahams got the hands and Zito does a bit of it all. Is Damico a top 6 guy? Meh. Does he fit this line, I think so. Could Currie/Christopolous fit the Top 6 bill, sure. Does having them on the third line create an opportunity for more depth scoring, yes.

I see where the line juggling is coming for and wanting more production out of multiple lines, but it seems that when you remove Maggio, Johnston or Cuylle off that Top Line, other teams get in more offense. You keep them together, and they're not only going to be the top line on the ice, but they're going to cause other Top lines to be chasing around the puck. Damico/Zito/Abraham seems about on par for a good OHL 2nd line. Put Miedema/Jodoin/(Oflaherty/Peer/Baisov) against another teams 4th line, and they'll produce. Put the Deadline against another teams 3rd line, they're likely to produce, or shut down another teams Top1/2.

Bottom Line, I think if Medina is just sick and there's no room problems at all (which no one believes at this point), Onuska is still our guy. Quit messing with the lines as when you switch up lines, We go from some productivity out of lines 2-4, to all of our productivity from lines 2-4 (not including PP). Johnston is a well known elite player, and without Cuylle AND Maggio with him, it allows other teams to shift the whole focus to shutting him down, which shuts down line one completely.

Win today slides Windsor into 3rd. Flint's still solid in that #1 seed but they only have one more Erie and one more Saginaw game, along with 3 London and 3 Soo games which could create a chance for Windsor to sneak in if most of those don't hit OT.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Back around Christmas when McDonald and Medina were sat in some big games I had a feeling they missed more than a practice. Once McDonald was traded I was certain Medina would be heading out after that. The fact we're in what's debatably the biggest weekend of the regular season (London x2 and Soo), and Medina's unavailable is frustrating. However, every game I have more faith in Onuska. The goals he's given up lately have been when the D have hung him out to dry. But at the same time, a lot of those, he's making saves on. He doesn't really give up many flutter shots from the point and saves the pucks that he should be. For every "easy" one that gets by him, he's making up for it with two big saves few expect him to make, such as the near dozen breakaways Windsor's given up in the last few weeks. Love it or hate it, this is an offensive team, even the Defense. Having someone behind them they have confidence in, and can visualize how these 2 on 1's are going to go down, is huge. Onuska isn't the perfect goalie, he's often out of position and has limited OHL experience, especially for an 02. However, this team seems to radiate more confidence on the ice with him between the pipes than Medina. It's nice to see him skate up and get included on the goal celebrations as well. I know that's kind of made it's way out of hockey on some teams but I see it is more of a sense of unity within the club. Can I say for sure, absolutely not, I'm not in that room, but it seems like a lot of the guys have been on the same page, at least on the ice.

What I don't get is messing with Maggio/Cuylle/Johnston. They started the game yesterday, went 3-0 in the first, and in the second they had Zito up on the top line, Maggio on the second. This is nothing against Zito but it seems known by now that Johnston has strong chemistry with Cuylle and Maggio. Why mess with it. Damico/Abraham/Zito get going together too. All three of these players have some similar characteristics, but Damicos got a good shot, Abrahams got the hands and Zito does a bit of it all. Is Damico a top 6 guy? Meh. Does he fit this line, I think so. Could Currie/Christopolous fit the Top 6 bill, sure. Does having them on the third line create an opportunity for more depth scoring, yes.

I see where the line juggling is coming for and wanting more production out of multiple lines, but it seems that when you remove Maggio, Johnston or Cuylle off that Top Line, other teams get in more offense. You keep them together, and they're not only going to be the top line on the ice, but they're going to cause other Top lines to be chasing around the puck. Damico/Zito/Abraham seems about on par for a good OHL 2nd line. Put Miedema/Jodoin/(Oflaherty/Peer/Baisov) against another teams 4th line, and they'll produce. Put the Deadline against another teams 3rd line, they're likely to produce, or shut down another teams Top1/2.

Bottom Line, I think if Medina is just sick and there's no room problems at all (which no one believes at this point), Onuska is still our guy. Quit messing with the lines as when you switch up lines, We go from some productivity out of lines 2-4, to all of our productivity from lines 2-4 (not including PP). Johnston is a well known elite player, and without Cuylle AND Maggio with him, it allows other teams to shift the whole focus to shutting him down, which shuts down line one completely.

Win today slides Windsor into 3rd. Flint's still solid in that #1 seed but they only have one more Erie and one more Saginaw game, along with 3 London and 3 Soo games which could create a chance for Windsor to sneak in if most of those don't hit OT.
I would quit the line juggling as well. Maggio/Johnston/Cuylle... Zito/Abraham/D'Amato... Christopolous/Maillet/Currie give the Spits three pretty good lines that all seem to have chemistry playing with each other

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I would quit the line juggling as well. Maggio/Johnston/Cuylle... Zito/Abraham/D'Amato... Christopolous/Maillet/Currie give the Spits three pretty good lines that all seem to have chemistry playing with each other

Miedema and Jodoin are bound to knock in a couple against other teams 3rd & 4th lines as well. I get when injuries/suspensions happen you have to adjust, but why are we juggling with a full lineup, especially if we’re seeing results as is

Reactions: Section 103

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
At least this is last time Windsor plays London in regular season.
Good possibility Windsor sees them in playoffs at some point..

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
If Onuska is temporarily using a team provided helmet, it could be a real loose fit because the previous person who wore it had a swollen head whoever that was.

Reactions: windsor7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad