Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

So starting my annual mid-term review - All of this is my opinion of course and comments and chuckles are most welcome.

Coaching/Management
So first up thank goodness no more Rocky Hockey! Nothing like watching a game where we go into the trap to protect a 1 goal lead with 58 minutes left in the game so lets just move on from there.
So continuing from last year I still have no idea what Jerrod does and to add to that no idea now what Tyler does - why do we need the title of "skills and development coach" ? Isn't that what all coaches do? I get they have roles, one the PP and offense one the PK and defense but maybe HL you can clear this up for me?
Trevor is by far more of a "players coach". The head coach has to be careful with this but he seems to be able to walk that line - you can tell players are buying in. Team as a whole has never forechecked in years like we see it this year. Most systems are standard but for me used in the right places, yes we even use the trap but when the situation applies. I really like how mid-game changes are made - last year it seemed to be stuck in the mud but this year you can see the kids know - should I pinch in from the D or this is not the right time to pinch in. Kids really seem to buy in with any change up as instructed through the game, always some oops plays but it is junior hockey. So on the whole I like the way this team is being guided and how they are playing, I mean really who had them in 4th place at the break?
Warren - this will be a watershed year for him - his back is against the wall ( self induced) so we will see how he comes out of the trade window and how good of picks and players he gets. So far so good, nice trade with Luchuk and a nice return - for me that was a signal move that we are in a retooling year - I mean if Warren had had visions of going for it he never would have traded Luchuk.

Tomorrow - Goalies

Agree pretty much 100%.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Agree pretty much 100%.

I would agree with that. In regards to Roeszeler you won't be able to tell much in skill development until they get more young players signed and onto the roster. If you want to give him praise for helping develop MacDougall/Purboo etc.. then you look at others like Playfair/Angle who have not performed well in the least. Hopefully when a few more players are moved the heat is on for guys like Playfair and Angle to start showing something. With moving out players you may acquire a player or two and certainly acquire picks. Those players should certainly be able to push guys like Playfair/Angle especially if they have hit their ceiling.

Reactions: randomhero4life

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Roeszeler is quite knowledgeable and instructs by example during practice. He knows what he is doing. Smith is well liked and is the "go to" coach for the players. He knows systems and helps adapt the game plan, on the fly. He actually reminds me of DJ somewhat. Wilson has a plan for the goalies and is working hard to help them gain skill and confidence. Mikey has benefitted from the development of puck control and puck movement.

Trevor has proven a brilliant coach to date! Unfortunately for the Spits, you can expect him to move up the coaching ranks sooner then later.

Playfair and Angle both are buying into the system and work hard. Unfortunately they do not have any finish in their repertoire (yet?). The team does not have to have all scorers to be successful. This is obvious to date, as success is accomplished when the team works as one.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So starting my annual mid-term review - All of this is my opinion of course and comments and chuckles are most welcome.

Coaching/Management
So first up thank goodness no more Rocky Hockey! Nothing like watching a game where we go into the trap to protect a 1 goal lead with 58 minutes left in the game so lets just move on from there.
So continuing from last year I still have no idea what Jerrod does and to add to that no idea now what Tyler does - why do we need the title of "skills and development coach" ? Isn't that what all coaches do? I get they have roles, one the PP and offense one the PK and defense but maybe HL you can clear this up for me?
Trevor is by far more of a "players coach". The head coach has to be careful with this but he seems to be able to walk that line - you can tell players are buying in. Team as a whole has never forechecked in years like we see it this year. Most systems are standard but for me used in the right places, yes we even use the trap but when the situation applies. I really like how mid-game changes are made - last year it seemed to be stuck in the mud but this year you can see the kids know - should I pinch in from the D or this is not the right time to pinch in. Kids really seem to buy in with any change up as instructed through the game, always some oops plays but it is junior hockey. So on the whole I like the way this team is being guided and how they are playing, I mean really who had them in 4th place at the break?
Warren - this will be a watershed year for him - his back is against the wall ( self induced) so we will see how he comes out of the trade window and how good of picks and players he gets. So far so good, nice trade with Luchuk and a nice return - for me that was a signal move that we are in a retooling year - I mean if Warren had had visions of going for it he never would have traded Luchuk.

Tomorrow - Goalies
So today goalies -

Mr DiPietro - thought I had this guy figured out and then along came November - not good numbers and as I and others predicted he did not make the Team Canada roster. He has definitely changed is style since last year - he was the flip-flop goalie with all the dramatic saves last year. This year much more focused on mechanics - a "quieter" approach to the net for sure. Mikey is very good and has to be "real" good if ever wants to play pro - size does matter at this position and he needs to be real good to overcome that. I think he has it but he will have to spent more time applying his trade at a lower pro level before he is ready for the big show. We need to enjoy him now because he has spoiled us a bit and coming in behind him are goales that will never live up to him - see Owen Sound.

Baier - kinda hard to get a handle on Brock - good size mechanically sound but reaction time is really slow. We need more time to really understand his play but I'm taking from the coaching staff on this one - they don't seem to want to play him much - to me that is a tell. I'm not all sold on he will be here next year and I will explain further down.

Patton - Seen him 3 times and he is the opposite of Baier - real fast on the reaction time but not as mechanically adapt. At this level he would be an 895 goalie - going to make some spectacular saves but could have a softie here and there - reminds me of Grubuer ( SP) .

Summary - I see DiPietro here until Jan 2019 - don't think either Baier or Patton is ready to carry this team yet. Card wise I see Patton going back to Jr B to save a card and Baier riding the pine most games this year while Mikey plays. This is actually the best option for Patton as he will get reps and be ready for next year. Baier will be moved next summer and Patton will back up Mikey until he leaves in Jan 2019. Patton will be the guy or an OA will come in to finish the year off - Patton's team fall of 2019. I big tell for that will be how high Warren drafts a goalie this year - he needs someone coming in to back up Patton in 2019.

Tomorrow OA's

Reactions: OHLTG and punch1943

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The issue with DiPietro and the current backups is fans are used to the carousel of goaltenders since Engelage. A guy comes in, lasts a season or so, then is deemed unfit and gets dealt/released. DiPietro comes in and steals the show, nobody can touch him. We've gone from one extreme to the other. While many goaltenders will look average-at-best compared to DiPietro, it's almost unfair to the next ones. The bar has been set so high it might be unreachable. Heck, look at Engelage and Campbell. After Engelage became an incredible goaltender, he graduated and Campbell came in, highly-regarded. Once Campbell struggled even a bit, fans went "whoa, not cool" and he was run out of town. We have to set expecations at a reasonable level next time around.

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
The issue with DiPietro and the current backups is fans are used to the carousel of goaltenders since Engelage. A guy comes in, lasts a season or so, then is deemed unfit and gets dealt/released. DiPietro comes in and steals the show, nobody can touch him. We've gone from one extreme to the other. While many goaltenders will look average-at-best compared to DiPietro, it's almost unfair to the next ones. The bar has been set so high it might be unreachable. Heck, look at Engelage and Campbell. After Engelage became an incredible goaltender, he graduated and Campbell came in, highly-regarded. Once Campbell struggled even a bit, fans went "whoa, not cool" and he was run out of town. We have to set expecations at a reasonable level next time around.

Campbell didn't just struggle a bit, he struggled a lot. The thing with him, is that he probably was never as good as everyone thought, really over hyped because of his world junior performance.

member 71782

So today goalies -

Mr DiPietro - thought I had this guy figured out and then along came November - not good numbers and as I and others predicted he did not make the Team Canada roster. He has definitely changed is style since last year - he was the flip-flop goalie with all the dramatic saves last year. This year much more focused on mechanics - a "quieter" approach to the net for sure. Mikey is very good and has to be "real" good if ever wants to play pro - size does matter at this position and he needs to be real good to overcome that. I think he has it but he will have to spent more time applying his trade at a lower pro level before he is ready for the big show. We need to enjoy him now because he has spoiled us a bit and coming in behind him are goales that will never live up to him - see Owen Sound.

Baier - kinda hard to get a handle on Brock - good size mechanically sound but reaction time is really slow. We need more time to really understand his play but I'm taking from the coaching staff on this one - they don't seem to want to play him much - to me that is a tell. I'm not all sold on he will be here next year and I will explain further down.

Patton - Seen him 3 times and he is the opposite of Baier - real fast on the reaction time but not as mechanically adapt. At this level he would be an 895 goalie - going to make some spectacular saves but could have a softie here and there - reminds me of Grubuer ( SP) .

Summary - I see DiPietro here until Jan 2019 - don't think either Baier or Patton is ready to carry this team yet. Card wise I see Patton going back to Jr B to save a card and Baier riding the pine most games this year while Mikey plays. This is actually the best option for Patton as he will get reps and be ready for next year. Baier will be moved next summer and Patton will back up Mikey until he leaves in Jan 2019. Patton will be the guy or an OA will come in to finish the year off - Patton's team fall of 2019. I big tell for that will be how high Warren drafts a goalie this year - he needs someone coming in to back up Patton in 2019.

Tomorrow OA's

Some slightly different takes on the goaltending.

We all know DiPietro is extremely talented and while I expected him to make TC I was not surprised when he didn't. Yes November was a bad month for him but it was also a bad month for the team for the most part. It doesn't matter how elite a goaltender may be, or anyone at any other position the lower the level of talent is around him the worse a player will look.

If DiPietro is here until 2019, and while I disagree with that I do see it happening I think his numbers will continue to take a hit the remainder of this year and the beginning of next year. Those optics will not bode well for him going into the WJC camp next year. He needs to show he can carry an elite team to a championship against elite competition. Keeping the score respectable and standing on your head for a couple of wins doesn't do that. He has a role with very little pressure since a rebuilding team doesn't have the same expectations that a contending team does.

If he is here until the deadline next year with only decent numbers on a rebuilding team that has no pressure or expectations I doubt he makes TC next year as well. TC isn't looking for a goaltender who can make a rebuilding team look respectable in the OHL, they want goaltenders who can handle the pressure and expectations of trying to win a gold medal at the highest level for this age and he won't face those expectations in a rebuilding Windsor team.

I do agree if things continue the way they are Baier won't be here next year. I don't think Windsor gets more than a 15th round pick if anything, there's no market for an unproven back up at this level. Seems like a good kid, technically sound but just not able to put it together when it counts. If ge remains the rest of this year hopefully he gets a chance to prove me wrong.

Patton has done what Baier needed to, take the opportunities and run with them. For a kid who has only appeared in 4 ir 5 games at any level this year he looks like someone who has been steadily improving throughout the season with regular starts. He has the potential to be a middle of the back or better goaltender in this league and given the chance he could be a decent OA in 2019/20. Problem is that if DiPietro stays he will lose the opportunity to develop between now and next years TDL if DiPietro is eventually dealt then. If that happened Windsor will be in trouble when it comes to goaltending unless they find another DiPietro level kid in the upcoming draft.

Patton, Baier and DiPietro are all the same age, expecting one of Patton or Baier to become a starter in their OA year with no real time at this level would be unwise.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I made the comment before - if I'm Baier or Patton, I'm watching what happens with DiPietro. If he sticks around at the deadline, maybe get a deal to go somewhere. They won't develop the way they need to staying here.

Reactions: member 71782

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Some slightly different takes on the goaltending.

We all know DiPietro is extremely talented and while I expected him to make TC I was not surprised when he didn't. Yes November was a bad month for him but it was also a bad month for the team for the most part. It doesn't matter how elite a goaltender may be, or anyone at any other position the lower the level of talent is around him the worse a player will look.

If DiPietro is here until 2019, and while I disagree with that I do see it happening I think his numbers will continue to take a hit the remainder of this year and the beginning of next year. Those optics will not bode well for him going into the WJC camp next year. He needs to show he can carry an elite team to a championship against elite competition. Keeping the score respectable and standing on your head for a couple of wins doesn't do that. He has a role with very little pressure since a rebuilding team doesn't have the same expectations that a contending team does.

If he is here until the deadline next year with only decent numbers on a rebuilding team that has no pressure or expectations I doubt he makes TC next year as well. TC isn't looking for a goaltender who can make a rebuilding team look respectable in the OHL, they want goaltenders who can handle the pressure and expectations of trying to win a gold medal at the highest level for this age and he won't face those expectations in a rebuilding Windsor team.

I do agree if things continue the way they are Baier won't be here next year. I don't think Windsor gets more than a 15th round pick if anything, there's no market for an unproven back up at this level. Seems like a good kid, technically sound but just not able to put it together when it counts. If ge remains the rest of this year hopefully he gets a chance to prove me wrong.

Patton has done what Baier needed to, take the opportunities and run with them. For a kid who has only appeared in 4 ir 5 games at any level this year he looks like someone who has been steadily improving throughout the season with regular starts. He has the potential to be a middle of the back or better goaltender in this league and given the chance he could be a decent OA in 2019/20. Problem is that if DiPietro stays he will lose the opportunity to develop between now and next years TDL if DiPietro is eventually dealt then. If that happened Windsor will be in trouble when it comes to goaltending unless they find another DiPietro level kid in the upcoming draft.

Patton, Baier and DiPietro are all the same age, expecting one of Patton or Baier to become a starter in their OA year with no real time at this level would be unwise.

This is a good post. DiPietro is probably the best goalie in the OHL right now. Had a poor November has seemed to stabilize but there was a lot of talk of him unseating Hart or being a lock for the team and that wasn't the case.

I asked earlier and I will ask again is there any reasoning behind actually keeping DiPietro until next years trade deadline? His value isn't likely to get higher it may get lower but it won't get higher. As an organization you want to win games but aren't you just delaying the inevitable?? Is DiPietro any better than Nedeljkovic when he got traded for a few high picks and another goalie? There's a lot of love for DiPietro and rightfully so but he still hasn't been on a team that won a playoff round yet. DiPietro will never have an elite defensive team in front of him the rest of his Spitfire career.

You have pointed out about Baier/Patton we likely still won't know if either has a future in the league until January of 2019. That's not helping a perceived rebuild because you don't know who's in net.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There's one way his value could get higher - if he maintains the same numbers, or even increases them, with a younger roster in front of him.

As for Ned, one could argue that Ned's offer was below value. Plus, Ned's OA season would have been 16-17 and he was dealt in 15-16. That equates to DiPietro being dealt next year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
There's one way his value could get higher - if he maintains the same numbers, or even increases them, with a younger roster in front of him.

As for Ned, one could argue that Ned's offer was below value. Plus, Ned's OA season would have been 16-17 and he was dealt in 15-16. That equates to DiPietro being dealt next year.

Uhhhhh that's kind of my point he was the top tender out there as a 19 year old and they still didn't get max value. Yes it was Flint and they have issues getting players but they needed to get more picks if they didn't get much value in return in the form of players.

They have a younger team this year on D and his GAA has increased but his sv% has stayed the same. You think with Day/McEneny gone the possibility of a guy like Starikov being gone as they want to bring in possibly more productive imports the defense will improve? It may not get worse but I have a hard time seeing it getting better. You still haven't come up with a compelling reason why he should stick around past this deadline either.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Uhhhhh that's kind of my point he was the top tender out there as a 19 year old and they still didn't get max value. Yes it was Flint and they have issues getting players but they needed to get more picks if they didn't get much value in return in the form of players.

They have a younger team this year on D and his GAA has increased but his sv% has stayed the same. You think with Day/McEneny gone the possibility of a guy like Starikov being gone as they want to bring in possibly more productive imports the defense will improve? It may not get worse but I have a hard time seeing it getting better. You still haven't come up with a compelling reason why he should stick around past this deadline either.

the team will be worse next year, that the year that dipietro will truly be tested.

i think you trade him now only because you get more assets now, move the rebuild along quicker, therefore get to your final destination quicker while finding out if pattonir baier are good enough over a longer window, but they have no interest in doing so, don’t get the purpose of holding onto him personally.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

I am in the camp that the D will get better, Starikov will be kept in my view,he is late birthday 17 year old,not eligible for this year's draft by 2 days,also he is 2nd on the team in plus/ minus at +7,Sirman btw is 1st at +10
Sean Day despite his offensive ability is not a defensive gem,and I like the way
McEneny has played,even though he is a minus(-3) he and also Day have had to play with 4 rookies,all of them have played well,with bumps in the road not unexpectedly,this team with 2-17 year old and 2-16 year old D has surprised most people in the league thus far.Top
5 in PK along with a solid goals against average team wise gives optimimisim for the future.
It's a well coached team and I trust Rychel knows what he is doing as it
relates to Dipietro.
You or anyone else doesn't know what has offered in a trade for Dipietro,and my guess is if it's fantastic Rychel will pull the trigger if not he will wait till next year, works for me.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yes it was Flint and they have issues getting players but they needed to get more picks if they didn't get much value in return in the form of players.

That's my point; they got low value for Ned so DiPietro should get a fair bit more. Regarding ages, I took your comment to mean DiPietro this year, not next. (sorry for confusion)

They have a young blueline this year, but take away Day and McEneny and it gets even younger next year. They should have Starikov, too. It should get progressively better due to experience, too, as the "big five" (starikov, corcoran, stevenson, henault, staios) are all returning. It'll be younger, though, and that woud increase DiPietro's value should he maintain status quo stats-wise.

Why would I come up with a reason he should stick around past this deadline? I've been FOR dealing him to get the best return.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So today goalies -

Tomorrow OA's
OA's
Luchuk - Yes I'm including him - he has only been gone for 2 games. For Aaron I will take a step back a couple of years - at that time he was not really on anybodies radar and he was pretty much a 3rd/4th line PK specialists. He was a piece that some even thought might get moved to help build for the Memorial Cup run. What I and others missed was "team" attitude and his work ethic. Yes he worked hard on the ice and blocked lots of shots but he did bring more to the team then that. Now jump ahead to last spring where 4 years of development started to show and he was Mr everything on the ice, PK, PP, 5 on5, scoring he was not out of place anywhere. Players like him are the reason you win. You don't always have to trade for the "big guns" to win big. This year he has show what happens if you are patient with a player, mind you it does not happen all the time and I would hazard a guess that it only happens occasionally but if team management can see this from a player and let him develop then Aaron is the role model for this. I wish him well in Barrie and the rest of his career. I will be shocked if he does not sign an ELC at some point soon.

McEneny - For an OA D I think he has proven his worth. He eats up lots of minutes and is fairly steady on the back end. Has some offensive upside and skates very well. Does make mistakes but I always look at OA's with an understanding they are OA's for a reason. Seems to be a good mentor for our young D and you see him directing them on the ice. This is a player that will be a help if he stays around but he has enough upside that I could see a few teams interested. The young D core will need someone back there to guide them and for you year he is likely the guy especially if Day gets moved.

Smith - I'm 50/50 on Jake. Skates fast, has a good shot but seems to only see 1/2 the ice. For an OA not to be on the PK for me is a big tell, coaching does not see him as being defensively responsible. He reminds me a lot of Brady Vail - flies down the ice, scores a big goal and then you never here his name or even see him out there the rest of the game. The term "fill in" player was used earlier in the year and describes him best, not getting your team in any trouble but should have more at this point in his career. Has good numbers but that is not always all of the story. I don't see him going anywhere ( traded) and he will finish out the year here - he is a good fill in player.

Tomorrow - Imports.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
OA's
Luchuk - Yes I'm including him - he has only been gone for 2 games. For Aaron I will take a step back a couple of years - at that time he was not really on anybodies radar and he was pretty much a 3rd/4th line PK specialists. He was a piece that some even thought might get moved to help build for the Memorial Cup run. What I and others missed was "team" attitude and his work ethic. Yes he worked hard on the ice and blocked lots of shots but he did bring more to the team then that. Now jump ahead to last spring where 4 years of development started to show and he was Mr everything on the ice, PK, PP, 5 on5, scoring he was not out of place anywhere. Players like him are the reason you win. You don't always have to trade for the "big guns" to win big. This year he has show what happens if you are patient with a player, mind you it does not happen all the time and I would hazard a guess that it only happens occasionally but if team management can see this from a player and let him develop then Aaron is the role model for this. I wish him well in Barrie and the rest of his career. I will be shocked if he does not sign an ELC at some point soon.

McEneny - For an OA D I think he has proven his worth. He eats up lots of minutes and is fairly steady on the back end. Has some offensive upside and skates very well. Does make mistakes but I always look at OA's with an understanding they are OA's for a reason. Seems to be a good mentor for our young D and you see him directing them on the ice. This is a player that will be a help if he stays around but he has enough upside that I could see a few teams interested. The young D core will need someone back there to guide them and for you year he is likely the guy especially if Day gets moved.

Smith - I'm 50/50 on Jake. Skates fast, has a good shot but seems to only see 1/2 the ice. For an OA not to be on the PK for me is a big tell, coaching does not see him as being defensively responsible. He reminds me a lot of Brady Vail - flies down the ice, scores a big goal and then you never here his name or even see him out there the rest of the game. The term "fill in" player was used earlier in the year and describes him best, not getting your team in any trouble but should have more at this point in his career. Has good numbers but that is not always all of the story. I don't see him going anywhere ( traded) and he will finish out the year here - he is a good fill in player.

Tomorrow - Imports.
IMHO Luchuk was a great O/A for this team. This was the perfect place for him to play. However I suspect he won’t get the same ice time with Barrie because of the depth of their team.
I certainly hope he does well and I also think he’ll get signed as soon as he picks a landing spot.
McEneny has done a good job and his cost was perfect. On a good team he’s a 5/6 guy but easily could be an add on in a trade.
Smith’s price was perfect as well. If he goes anywhere it would only be via waivers and wouldn’t be replaced by another O/A.
However as you say most likely he stays to fill out the squad. Because of the card situation it is conceivable we end up with Smith as the only O/A.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't disagree that Smith could be on the PK but when you had Luchuk/Boka as your top PK line, where does that leave Smith? Luchuk/Boka were elite together and, if the PK isn't broken, don't fix it. I'd rather see two veterans on the top line and two youngsters on the second line to get experience. Now that Luchuk is gone, we'll see who replaces him long-term. Maybe Smith. Maybe not.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
OA's

Tomorrow - Imports.
So today imports -

Kozhevnikov - I fine him a bit hard to read - seems to be the tale of 2 Krill's. Before his first goal and after his first goal. I really like his work ethic but he is starting to become IMO another Boka, works really hard all over the ice but just does not seem to have any finish - if there is a player on this team that is the king of bad puck luck it is Krill. I actually want him to succeed - he is one of our hardest working forwards and he does seem to be improving game by game so I want to give him more time before I get too critical. I will explain more of this in my summary.

Sartikov - For a young defensemen I'm impressed - he has little to no panic on the backend and I put him ahead of others in his development - for me he is in the top 4 of our "D" group ( maybe not on other teams but for our group yes). He has figured out the speed of the game just still struggling a bit with his own tall stature. I may be wrong with these numbers but he is #1 in plus minus for the "D" group and that says a lot for a rookie D.

Summary - so are these 2 good enough to keep around beyond the next import draft? My answer is yes and I will give a few reasons for my logic.
1) They both are showing signs of improvement and they need another year to see where they really fit heading into some go for it years.
2) For me sends the wrong message to future import players if the team keeps a one and done policy.
3) Next year will be a rough year, most likely a major dip, there is no harm in keeping them on one more year to prove their worth. If we tank it will mean that we could end up with a very high pick in the 2019 import draft - there is where I would consider whether we keep one or both going into that draft. They are either going to help us tank or give a reason why they will be around in 2 years. We may keep one or the other but not likely both as a high import pick in 2019 is critical.

Tomorrow the remaining "D".

Reactions: punch1943

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
So today imports -

Kozhevnikov - I fine him a bit hard to read - seems to be the tale of 2 Krill's. Before his first goal and after his first goal. I really like his work ethic but he is starting to become IMO another Boka, works really hard all over the ice but just does not seem to have any finish - if there is a player on this team that is the king of bad puck luck it is Krill. I actually want him to succeed - he is one of our hardest working forwards and he does seem to be improving game by game so I want to give him more time before I get too critical. I will explain more of this in my summary.

Sartikov - For a young defensemen I'm impressed - he has little to no panic on the backend and I put him ahead of others in his development - for me he is in the top 4 of our "D" group ( maybe not on other teams but for our group yes). He has figured out the speed of the game just still struggling a bit with his own tall stature. I may be wrong with these numbers but he is #1 in plus minus for the "D" group and that says a lot for a rookie D.

Summary - so are these 2 good enough to keep around beyond the next import draft? My answer is yes and I will give a few reasons for my logic.
1) They both are showing signs of improvement and they need another year to see where they really fit heading into some go for it years.
2) For me sends the wrong message to future import players if the team keeps a one and done policy.
3) Next year will be a rough year, most likely a major dip, there is no harm in keeping them on one more year to prove their worth. If we tank it will mean that we could end up with a very high pick in the 2019 import draft - there is where I would consider whether we keep one or both going into that draft. They are either going to help us tank or give a reason why they will be around in 2 years. We may keep one or the other but not likely both as a high import pick in 2019 is critical.

Tomorrow the remaining "D".

i really hope they dont pass on a top 30 import pick to keep a 19 year old who has 2 goals in 30 games this year. imports shouldnt be complimentary players, plus when we are ready to 'go', Kozhevnikov will be gone. get a 17 year old that may help for 2-3 years

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I would disagree on the evaluation of the imports based upon the criteria of #2. You can't worry about sending some type of wrong message especially with the contradiction between #2 and #3. The Spits will fall a bit down the standings this year once they move Brown/Day maybe others. That means they would have a higher pick in the 2018 import draft as compared to the 2017 draft. You're willing to play these 2 imports next year even in a down year because in your opinion they would just be keeping a seat warm for an import in 2019? If you care about messages that's not a good one either. The Spits have had a few guys that didn't stick around for a little more than a year eg. Soberg/Yazkov, Bezuch only lasted 4 games. That's not a good thing either and anyways once players are moved we will see how those imports adapt with a larger role.

Here's the other issue neither import has distinguished themselves as a player you can leverage in the offseason to use via trade enabling the Spits to use their import pick. I am not a big fan of punting a top 30 import pick because you don't want to send some type of wrong message. I would also say "they don't need" another year. It's up to the player to show that value and they need to earn it.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Ohloutsider

Good summary on the imports, except ,I don't agree about keeping Kozhevnikov beyond this season, Windsor needs to hit on all three 1st rounders,Euro,entry and the +17 drafts
and with a decent draft position things can or may happen faster depending on what's chosen.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I would disagree on the evaluation of the imports based upon the criteria of #2. You can't worry about sending some type of wrong message especially with the contradiction between #2 and #3. The Spits will fall a bit down the standings this year once they move Brown/Day maybe others. That means they would have a higher pick in the 2018 import draft as compared to the 2017 draft. You're willing to play these 2 imports next year even in a down year because in your opinion they would just be keeping a seat warm for an import in 2019? If you care about messages that's not a good one either. The Spits have had a few guys that didn't stick around for a little more than a year eg. Soberg/Yazkov, Bezuch only lasted 4 games. That's not a good thing either and anyways once players are moved we will see how those imports adapt with a larger role.

Here's the other issue neither import has distinguished themselves as a player you can leverage in the offseason to use via trade enabling the Spits to use their import pick. I am not a big fan of punting a top 30 import pick because you don't want to send some type of wrong message. I would also say "they don't need" another year. It's up to the player to show that value and they need to earn it.
I agree somewhat but your therey is going with the assumption we are going to drop far enough to get into the top 30 in the import draft - right now we are nowhere near that. I could be swayed your way if we end up with a high pick this year but I'm not seeing us in the top 30 picks this year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
i really hope they dont pass on a top 30 import pick to keep a 19 year old who has 2 goals in 30 games this year. imports shouldnt be complimentary players, plus when we are ready to 'go', Kozhevnikov will be gone. get a 17 year old that may help for 2-3 years

Agreed this team will need a huge injection of scoring next year. It's quite possible they will only have 3-4 guys returning next year that scored in double figures, maybe 1-2 or quite possibly 0 20 goal guys. Guys improve at different rates but if you look at the numbers from some of the forwards it's not good enough.

Playfair 2 in 31
Angle 4 in 32
Sirman 4 in 31
Kozhevnikov 2 in 30
Kadlec 0 in 20
Boka 6 in 29
D'Amico 3 in 25

Yes some of them are 17 years old but on a given night over half of your forwards have been putting up those numbers in almost half a season. I don't think any of those players think those numbers are good enough nor should they. Don't try and keep a guy if you don't think he's going to be productive in the future.

Reactions: punch1943
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA