Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
A couple of thoughts ( maybe more) from last night -

Baier, Patton, Baier, Patton,Patton,Patton,Patton,Patton - Just kidding they both need more reps but Baier strikes me as a kid that has been big forever and pucks just hit him, not use to quick reaction times where as Patton has had to be more mobile being smaller and can adapt quicker - we will see.

You could tell the team was out of sync, don't think too many were happy about the Luchuk news, he has been the rock for most of these kids since they have come to the Spits. They will work through it but it has to play on them a bit.

Liked Douglas and for a kid with zero time with this team he seemed to get a feel for his team mates quickly - a couple weeks of practice and a few games and he will be a leader. Hard part is he will be seem as the guy that "bumped out" Luchuk.

We now have an open OA spot - I could see them not filling it and letting the kids play but it does help in a trade scenario where as another team needs to move an OA to make room and we could end up with a thrown in OA in a deal that may have not happened unless we can take the OA. I realize this might be a "card" issue but if we have 5 cards I don't really see us picking up 5 more young players. The right OA especially an OA "D" would help mentor some of these kids and help eat some minutes.

Staios - good kid lots talent but he has been making some glaring errors lately - trying to do too much with the puck and coughing it up - he will learn but he would benefit from playing less minutes. Also his size and strength are starting to show - teams are having no issue moving him off of the puck - he is loosing most puck battles in the corners. Starikov has been better at that due to his size but they don't seem to play him at all in the last 2 periods. My previous point about another OA D would help here.

Reactions: punch1943

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
A couple of thoughts ( maybe more) from last night -

Baier, Patton, Baier, Patton,Patton,Patton,Patton,Patton - Just kidding they both need more reps but Baier strikes me as a kid that has been big forever and pucks just hit him, not use to quick reaction times where as Patton has had to be more mobile being smaller and can adapt quicker - we will see.

You could tell the team was out of sync, don't think too many were happy about the Luchuk news, he has been the rock for most of these kids since they have come to the Spits. They will work through it but it has to play on them a bit.

Liked Douglas and for a kid with zero time with this team he seemed to get a feel for his team mates quickly - a couple weeks of practice and a few games and he will be a leader. Hard part is he will be seem as the guy that "bumped out" Luchuk.

We now have an open OA spot - I could see them not filling it and letting the kids play but it does help in a trade scenario where as another team needs to move an OA to make room and we could end up with a thrown in OA in a deal that may have not happened unless we can take the OA. I realize this might be a "card" issue but if we have 5 cards I don't really see us picking up 5 more young players. The right OA especially an OA "D" would help mentor some of these kids and help eat some minutes.

Staios - good kid lots talent but he has been making some glaring errors lately - trying to do too much with the puck and coughing it up - he will learn but he would benefit from playing less minutes. Also his size and strength are starting to show - teams are having no issue moving him off of the puck - he is loosing most puck battles in the corners. Starikov has been better at that due to his size but they don't seem to play him at all in the last 2 periods. My previous point about another OA D would help here.
In the short term, Douglas may be viewed as the guy that bumped out Luchuk. But hopefully 2 years from now, Douglas will be an OHL star while Luchuk will be in the 2nd year of a long and successful pro career. Fan's memories are short.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor losses in ot.
They got a point.
Was a painful game to watch. Slow n offense was stalled most of the game.
Patton played ok. The short handed goal was tough to see. But he seemed to be ok rest of the game. Patton looks to be more confident than Baier in net.
Attendance was very small. They didn't announce it. Half the people I think left half way thru the 3rd. Looks like they had enough of watching the game.
Vilardi will give them a small boost hopefully soon.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
December 15, 2017 - North American Hockey League (NAHL) - Johnstown Tomahawks

News Release
JOHNSTOWN - The Johnstown Tomahawks, proud members of the North American Hockey League, announced that former defenseman, Hunter Carrick, has committed to Penn State University.
Carrick, of Orland Park, Ill., started the season with the Tomahawks, scoring two goals and adding four assists in 16 games before being called up to the USHL's Omaha Lancers.
"Hunter is extremely deserving of his commitment to Penn State and I could not be happier for him," head coach Mike Letizia said. "As our 2017 first round draft pick, he certainly showed his outstanding hockey ability and potential while with our team before moving to the USHL. He is an extremely skilled d man, with an elite hockey IQ and I think the sky is the limit for him. Beyond his hockey talents, are his great character, and relentless drive to be the best player he can be. I am extremely proud of him and am happy to play a part in his development and advancement to a great hockey program like Penn State, and hopefully into the professional ranks."
Carrick is the second Tomahawks player to commit to Penn State as former defenseman Adam Pilewicz announce he was going to Hockey Valley last season.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Windsor losses in ot.
They got a point.
Patton played ok. The short handed goal was tough to see. But he seemed to be ok rest of the game. Patton looks to be more confident than Baier in net.
Attendance was very small. They didn't announce it. Half the people I think left half way thru the 3rd. Looks like they had enough of watching the game.
I can't believe that I am saying this, but I totally agree with you on this one.

Patton did not look confident,though he did put up good numbers. 3 goals on 40 shots is very good. The game was painful to watch.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
After all the dust settles in early January, I would like to see them Joey Trifone. He was very impressive in training camp. I would also like to see more of Jordan Frasca. He did not look out of place last night.

Reactions: punch1943

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Windsor losses in ot.
They got a point.
The attendance was announced as 4091. That of course is not bums in the seats. However the weather had to play a big part in that.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
After all the dust settles in early January, I would like to see them Joey Trifone. He was very impressive in training camp. I would also like to see more of Jordan Frasca. He did not look out of place last night.

I agree about Frasca, he hasn't looked out of place, should definitely compete for a spot next season, expect him to make the team.As for Trifone,I am sure they are tracking him in JrB with Buffalo,he is playing on a terrible team.
That being said only way he will play here is if they sign him,will cost an A card because he is 17 year old free agent,if they have card room at deadline they may try to sign him, otherwise they wait till next year's camp.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Watched the game from home last night and it did look empty. Then again, I would've been there if it wasnt for the weather.

Playing a team that lost 9 straight, we didn't look good. However, that's a team that shouldn't be losing 9 straight.

I liked Douglas a lot. I feel like we've been missing a big body that steps in front of the net and chips some in, while delivering big hits. He played a physical game and was definitely noticable out there. I'll miss Looch, but I think Douglas is going to be a lot of fun to watch. His game reminded me a little of Tom Wilsons early days as a Whaler, but a little more under control.

I was very impressed with Patton. It didn't seem like he faced 40 shots, but if given the choice, I'm taking him over Baier. Looks smaller than the 6'1" he's billed at, but he made some big key saves, and played the puck pretty well outside of the net. Something that still scares me with Mikey. I'm interested to see more from both these guys as I think they could be key pieces to a future spits team (even if that isn't a Mem Cup team)

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Regardless of it being DiPietro, I don’t like the move myself. This was a perfect year to bring in an 18 y/o that could back up and be groomed into next year but could easily step in as a starter if needed as well. Granted it isn’t too often Canada does this.

This is not to take anything away from Point who has been on fire this year.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Both Point and Hart have surreal stats. You could argue DiPietro goes to learn for next year, but they could argue these two give them the best chance to win now. No doubt DiPietro will make it next year and be a stud in the process. For now, though, he returns to Windsor and we see what happens next.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Don't be surprised if he does not make the trip to Saginaw tomorrow - and no I don't wear a mask but there was a few of us that mentioned this over the last few weeks:)

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Both Point and Hart have surreal stats. You could argue DiPietro goes to learn for next year, but they could argue these two give them the best chance to win now. No doubt DiPietro will make it next year and be a stud in the process. For now, though, he returns to Windsor and we see what happens next.
What happens next is he does not dress for the Spits tomorrow for his sake. A few days off and he’ll be able to get his head on straight....

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Can u predict the future?
How do you know dipietro will make team Canada next year for sure?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I don't expect DiPietro to make the trip to Saginaw. No reason to. Let him get home, settle in, and go from there. I was more referring to the trade deadline since he can now be dealt prior to the freeze being over.

Yep. It's a neat trick.

Nothing is guaranteed in life except death and taxes.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
DiPietro getting cut stinks, there's nothing that kid could have done to make that team short of growing a couple of inches. As soon as a bigger guy showed he could stop the puck he had no chance, that's too bad. He has the mental makeup to dominate a tournament like this and Canada blew it.

Nice return on the Luchuk deal, Gigantor or whatever his name is looked good scoring a goal last night for us and that's a good selection of picks coming back too. Let's face it, the guy was at the top of league scoring and has a memorial cup ring, you don't get a much better overager to take a run with than that.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So Saginaw wins tonight - we are now tied with them for 4th - tomorrow nights game will be for 4th/5th overall heading into the break - beginning to wonder if Saginaw might be a buyer this year?

Reactions: Finster8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad