Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

You keep moving them goalposts. You say if the Spits don't win a memorial cup in the next cycle it's no big deal. So the Soo is consistent franchise year to year winning playoff series, getting players drafted, keeping assets to go on a run. Of course they don't win it all they're a bridesmaid. I can't keep up with you're flip flopping.

angif-move-the-goalposts-def.gif

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
interesting regarding boka

he is shooting at a 10 percent clip this year, 6 goals in 60 shots.

he has not really improved that much over the coarse of his career, he shot 13 percent last year, 11 percent in his rookie year and 10 percent this year. theres no real evidence to suggest that hes anything other then a 10-13 percent shooter, which kinda fits his skill set. assuming he shoots at 13 percent hes going to need well over 180 shots to touch the 20 goal mark. he may get that at 20, not sure he gets it at 18/19, only player with massive jumps in shots in the last while like that was gadjovich, and he was playing with nick suzuki.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Why does it have to be over a full season? The topic is 20 goals and how many shots. If you have 20 goals on 150 shots before December, or after March, does that really matter? You're still scoring 20 in 150.

Who's comparing Boka to Thomas and Kyrou? Brazeau and Bunnaman were specifically mentioned in the post and I showed that neither had much more than 15o shots on net. I used Jones as an example of a power forward, which Boka is.

Should Boka shoot more? Sure. He could reach that 20/150 mark if he did.

its not about december, its about the style of players. you said that in december 20 players have 20 goals or more, but again, i never said you cant do that, i said you cant do that if you play like boka does. so the 20 players doesnt matter if none of them play like boka does. whats where it matters.

if you really, really think that an nhl 1st round pick who had 30 goals in the nhl is comparable to luke boka, who was not drafted, im not sure what else there is to say. right now boka doesnt score enough to be deemed a power forward, hes a checking forward, power forwards score, boka doesnt score right now. he may, but he doesnt get enough shots to do it. after two season, jones had twice as many shots ad boka did, theyre not that comparable.

its less about should he, its 'can he', does he have enough skill and smarts to put himself in position to get 180 shots?

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You keep moving them goalposts. You say if the Spits don't win a memorial cup in the next cycle it's no big deal. So the Soo is consistent franchise year to year winning playoff series, getting players drafted, keeping assets to go on a run. Of course they don't win it all they're a bridesmaid. I can't keep up with you're flip flopping.

Can you find the quote where I said "it's no big deal"? I don't recall saying that. That said, if I DID say it, I HAVE always believed that winning the big prize is better than winning in the regular season but losing in the playoffs. It's all well and good to win regular season, but if you can't win the MC, what's the point? That's what you play for. I'd rather have a team that wins the MC, then struggles for a couple of season, than a team that wins 45(ish) games a season but no titles to show for it. I've never flip-flopped with that opinion.

Reactions: randomhero4life

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Can you find the quote where I said "it's no big deal"? I don't recall saying that. That said, if I DID say it, I HAVE always believed that winning the big prize is better than winning in the regular season but losing in the playoffs. It's all well and good to win regular season, but if you can't win the MC, what's the point? That's what you play for. I'd rather have a team that wins the MC, then struggles for a couple of season, than a team that wins 45(ish) games a season but no titles to show for it. I've never flip-flopped with that opinion.

It was directed to Legend not sure why you responded. A little sensitive I see.

Reactions: Sec108

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

I don't see it as a big deal if the Spits don't win a championship in this coming rebuild. Because they have won 5 championships (OHL/MC) in the last 9 years. It's extremely difficult to do. The Hounds (who i do have a soft spot for) haven't seen the top of a mountain in 25 years. Very different situations.
That being said, the debate should be in the modern Era is it possible to win a championship without going all in?
But you guys will most likely continue the childish bickerin..

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't see it as a big deal if the Spits don't win a championship in this coming rebuild. Because they have won 5 championships (OHL/MC) in the last 9 years. It's extremely difficult to do. The Hounds (who i do have a soft spot for) haven't seen the top of a mountain in 25 years. Very different situations.
That being said, the debate should be in the modern Era is it possible to win a championship without going all in?
But you guys will most likely continue the childish bickerin..

Why isn't it a big deal if the Spits don't win it but the Hounds would be some type of bridesmaid and it would be a big deal if they didn't? The Knights already won a Memorial Cup without going all in so I think the answer is unequivocally yes. The Spits hadn't done anything for 21 years but you wouldn't hear Legend or OHLTG say the Spits weren't very good, or they were always the bridesmaid never the bride. This is what I mean by moving the goalposts.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So today imports -

Kozhevnikov - I fine him a bit hard to read - seems to be the tale of 2 Krill's. Before his first goal and after his first goal. I really like his work ethic but he is starting to become IMO another Boka, works really hard all over the ice but just does not seem to have any finish - if there is a player on this team that is the king of bad puck luck it is Krill. I actually want him to succeed - he is one of our hardest working forwards and he does seem to be improving game by game so I want to give him more time before I get too critical. I will explain more of this in my summary.

Sartikov - For a young defensemen I'm impressed - he has little to no panic on the backend and I put him ahead of others in his development - for me he is in the top 4 of our "D" group ( maybe not on other teams but for our group yes). He has figured out the speed of the game just still struggling a bit with his own tall stature. I may be wrong with these numbers but he is #1 in plus minus for the "D" group and that says a lot for a rookie D.

Summary - so are these 2 good enough to keep around beyond the next import draft? My answer is yes and I will give a few reasons for my logic.
1) They both are showing signs of improvement and they need another year to see where they really fit heading into some go for it years.
2) For me sends the wrong message to future import players if the team keeps a one and done policy.
3) Next year will be a rough year, most likely a major dip, there is no harm in keeping them on one more year to prove their worth. If we tank it will mean that we could end up with a very high pick in the 2019 import draft - there is where I would consider whether we keep one or both going into that draft. They are either going to help us tank or give a reason why they will be around in 2 years. We may keep one or the other but not likely both as a high import pick in 2019 is critical.

Tomorrow the remaining "D".
So today the "D" -

Corcoran - First year with a steady spot on the D core - last year he was playing up front or sitting in the stands so in a sense this is his rookie year. I like what he brings, makes mistakes but they are not dramatic ones. He has some flair for offense yet he seems to be a stay at home D first. He has grow somewhat this year and I've noticed he is starting to use his size, that will hopefully improve with time. Not seeing him as a top D but he would make it into any teams top 6 grouping but he has some time to improve on that. He plays top minutes here so that has to help with his development.

Stevenson - I see him about the same level as Corcoran but being a year older you would hope for more. Not going to do anything to hurt you but there is no big wow moments for him. He is on the PK and seems to be fine there . He is the type of player that every team needs but I think he is not in any long term plans for the Spits.

Henault - he is a pure rookie - he needs time to develop size and to refine his skills - he shows some good things but he does get beat a lot in the corners, to be expected - already has been hurt and that usually deters these younger kids from going into the corners with out taking that second glance. He has to get over that or he may struggle for awhile. Needs time and I can see where the Spits will give that to him. Want to give him the full year before I judge to hard.

Staios - You can see he is oozing with skill - just not sure it is on the D side of the puck - he probably has made the most errors of any of the rookies - on D that is hard to cover up - I know we are short on D but I would like to see Staios up front for the 2nd half - I see his skill more as a speedy winger that a D right now - still play him on D for the 2nd PP unit and this could all be revisited next year with a year in the O under his belt. Some fans keep telling me he is a lot like Ellis - I'm not convinced of that. Not even sure at this point that he will be a top 1/2 D in this league, but he has lots of time to change my mind.

Day - Well he is our #1 D and it is not even close - Sean is one of the best skaters I have seen in a long time. He is strong both sides of the puck. He plays 30 to 40 minutes a game and usually during that he will make 1 big gaff play and the fans are all over him for that - really need to watch what he does the rest of the game. He is one of the reasons we are in 4th place. He makes 3 or 4 high light style D plays every game but the fans remember his one blunder - I think coming in as an exceptional status player has allowed fans to over criticize his play. The big knock on him is the fact he does not always go 100% all of the time - when he gets to the pros they will change that and he won't play 40 minutes a game.

Johnston - just not seen enough of him to give my 2 cents.

Summary - Corcoran and Staios and will here for the rebuild - just not sure they are #1/2 D status. Day if not moved by the trade deadline will be gone by the end of the year anyway. I have heard rumors he is staying but I have a hard time not seeing him moved - we will miss him - it will make a big impact on the D. Stevenson is a player that may end up moved, if not this year maybe next year as a 19 year old, good kid just getting a late start will hinder him. Also think Henault is a player that might end up in a deal package but more than likely stays.

Tomorrow - the remaining forward group

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Why isn't it a big deal if the Spits don't win it but the Hounds would be some type of bridesmaid and it would be a big deal if they didn't? The Knights already won a Memorial Cup without going all in so I think the answer is unequivocally yes. The Spits hadn't done anything for 21 years but you wouldn't hear Legend or OHLTG say the Spits weren't very good, or they were always the bridesmaid never the bride. This is what I mean by moving the goalposts.

If the Spits didn't win anything for 21 years that wouldn't be very good. Regardless of what any poster posts. I understand having rebuttals to posts but there is point where you have to let things go or you start sounding very foolish.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Sorry forgot to add that I did point out the difference between the situation the Spitfires are in, with comparison to the Hounds. If the Hounds win the league this year they can ride that for the next ten years.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
With regards to the grades above and Staios - I dont think comparing him to Ellis, at this point, helps anything. We got VERY lucky with Ellis. If Staios does half the stuff in his first year, be thrilled. Ellis is the exception.

Reactions: tomschman

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
With regards to the grades above and Staios - I dont think comparing him to Ellis, at this point, helps anything. We got VERY lucky with Ellis. If Staios does half the stuff in his first year, be thrilled. Ellis is the exception.
I have said since prospect camp last April. In Staios, I see similarities to Ellis, we can only hope.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Tweet from @markscheig
Purportedly from his conversation with Logan Brown after his phone call from Luchuk...

(Logan) Brown on his immediate future post WJC “If they’re going to trade one of our big guys, they’re probably going to trade all of us.” #OHL

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Tweet from @markscheig
Purportedly from his conversation with Logan Brown after his phone call from Luchuk...

(Logan) Brown on his immediate future post WJC “If they’re going to trade one of our big guys, they’re probably going to trade all of us.” #OHL
Their young men - trade deadline is a really tough time for most of these guys - most of them don't really want to be moved - Most of us speculate all of the time but imagine how it is from where they are sitting. This has to be the worst time of year for these guys. It is part of the business and as they get older they will understand but for now not the easiest few weeks for the players.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So today the "D" -

Corcoran - First year with a steady spot on the D core - last year he was playing up front or sitting in the stands so in a sense this is his rookie year. I like what he brings, makes mistakes but they are not dramatic ones. He has some flair for offense yet he seems to be a stay at home D first. He has grow somewhat this year and I've noticed he is starting to use his size, that will hopefully improve with time. Not seeing him as a top D but he would make it into any teams top 6 grouping but he has some time to improve on that. He plays top minutes here so that has to help with his development.

Stevenson - I see him about the same level as Corcoran but being a year older you would hope for more. Not going to do anything to hurt you but there is no big wow moments for him. He is on the PK and seems to be fine there . He is the type of player that every team needs but I think he is not in any long term plans for the Spits.

Henault - he is a pure rookie - he needs time to develop size and to refine his skills - he shows some good things but he does get beat a lot in the corners, to be expected - already has been hurt and that usually deters these younger kids from going into the corners with out taking that second glance. He has to get over that or he may struggle for awhile. Needs time and I can see where the Spits will give that to him. Want to give him the full year before I judge to hard.

Staios - You can see he is oozing with skill - just not sure it is on the D side of the puck - he probably has made the most errors of any of the rookies - on D that is hard to cover up - I know we are short on D but I would like to see Staios up front for the 2nd half - I see his skill more as a speedy winger that a D right now - still play him on D for the 2nd PP unit and this could all be revisited next year with a year in the O under his belt. Some fans keep telling me he is a lot like Ellis - I'm not convinced of that. Not even sure at this point that he will be a top 1/2 D in this league, but he has lots of time to change my mind.

Day - Well he is our #1 D and it is not even close - Sean is one of the best skaters I have seen in a long time. He is strong both sides of the puck. He plays 30 to 40 minutes a game and usually during that he will make 1 big gaff play and the fans are all over him for that - really need to watch what he does the rest of the game. He is one of the reasons we are in 4th place. He makes 3 or 4 high light style D plays every game but the fans remember his one blunder - I think coming in as an exceptional status player has allowed fans to over criticize his play. The big knock on him is the fact he does not always go 100% all of the time - when he gets to the pros they will change that and he won't play 40 minutes a game.

Johnston - just not seen enough of him to give my 2 cents.

Summary - Corcoran and Staios and will here for the rebuild - just not sure they are #1/2 D status. Day if not moved by the trade deadline will be gone by the end of the year anyway. I have heard rumors he is staying but I have a hard time not seeing him moved - we will miss him - it will make a big impact on the D. Stevenson is a player that may end up moved, if not this year maybe next year as a 19 year old, good kid just getting a late start will hinder him. Also think Henault is a player that might end up in a deal package but more than likely stays.

Tomorrow - the remaining forward group
The final chapter - remaining forwards -

Angle - A little disappointed, thought there was more and there still might be. Not playing as much last year had to be tough so I will not get too critical, give him a chance per say - what I don't like is the ill timed penalties - that needs to get out of his game - it does not suit him at all.

Sirman - hard worker, really tough on the forecheck, makes some really nice plays - big problem for him is his age and how many 3rd line type guys do we need - I know he is playing second line minutes but that is mostly brcause we are limited of 1st and 2nd line guys.

Vilardi - not sure if he see him back this year or if he is moved before he signs a card - game night on the 28th will be the tell on that - for me love his style but if he gets moved or not it will likely not impact the team much either way.

Playfair - See Angle - same story for him - Last year out of camp I thought he was better than Angle - now I don't really see any difference - I'm in the wait in see mode but he needs to bring more.

Larionov - his past history of long injuries has me wondering why we signed him? If he was a stud star I could see it but we have kids playing elsewhere that could have used the development time and would have been playing at his level - Frasca comes to mind.

Mizzi - Huh???? We spent a card why???

Brown - Amazing what a kid can do when he is healthy - this board was really tough on him last year when he was playing hurt - maybe someone would at least acknowledge he has been better this year? I really like his game - tough on the puck in the corners and can score, also like how he has played better in our end - kid has to be a target of trade rumors but I for one will hate to see him moved - he ( and Day,Luchuk) will be players that this team will miss.

MacDougall - This is his rookie year but he is playing like most of our vets - give him a year to figure out this league and look out - he will be our go to guy for goals - real nice trade by Warren and he will be the bright spot for a couple of years.

Purboo - Ok I have to admit I could not understand why they were even dressing this kid, see that is why I'm not the GM - Too early to pass out awards but the MIP on this team by far - He has found a way to skate - it is not pretty but it seems to be working - seen him beat out an icing call, yes Purboo beat out another player on an icing call. He has always had a scoring touch but with his new found speed he is now in a position to score more and he has. Another improvement for him is his ability to see the ice better - seems to be reading plays and has improved on the "set-up" play - distributes the puck well. Only knock for him is his willingness to use his size - once he figures that out he could get himself into a pro job one day.

D'Amico - like this kid - see him following a development path similar to Luchuk. He plays well but he has backed off somewhat since he got hurt. Not sure if he is still nursing that shoulder or if he is now a bit gun shy. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he brings in the second half.

Boka - Every team needs a Boka - churns around the ice and keeps the other teams on their toes - he is the ultimate 3rd line guy - the way they used him last year in the Memorial cup along with Luchuk and Laishram is a big reason why we won the cup. Problem is this year we don't have the luxury of leaving him on the 3rd line. Tasking him with 2nd or 1st line minutes is not his game - he will never be the points guy we need on the first 2 lines so his play looks like it has dropped off this year but it has not - he plays with heart every shift just being thrust into a role he was never cut out for.

Douglas - Like this move by Warren - big kid, can score and he is what we are seeking for a retooling - needs more time but 2 goals in 2 games and seems to be responsible in both ends - can't wait to see what he brings in the second half.

Kadlec - I'm still trying to figure out why we signed him? He is at best a junior "C" player - somebody needs to help me out with this one cause I can't figure out why?

Final thoughts - Players for our future retooling - Corcoran, MacDougall, Staios, Douglas and possibly D'Amico. We need more core players and I see some of them coming in the next 2 weeks.

Sorry I bored you guys with this, it is as much for me as it is for your chuckle. Anyways I wanted to wish you and all posters on this board a Merry Christmas! and we will have hockey back in 5 days.

Reactions: punch1943

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Mizzi from my understanding did not cost a card, didn't play past the 5 game mark for free agents 19 years old,so no harm,no foul, London had similar situation with a player named MacKinnon who also played 4 games and was a 19 year old free agent.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Their young men - trade deadline is a really tough time for most of these guys - most of them don't really want to be moved - Most of us speculate all of the time but imagine how it is from where they are sitting. This has to be the worst time of year for these guys. It is part of the business and as they get older they will understand but for now not the easiest few weeks for the players.

I understand what you're saying I wouldn't feel that bad for them. All these kids know the deal and sign up for it by deciding to play in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL. Some of them are fortunate enough to wield the power if/when they want to use that ntc. Like you said it's a business they will understand when they get older by the same token they have to learn about it some way. New faces in new places that's the easiest way to look at it whether it's for the better or worse we will find out.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
The final chapter - remaining forwards -

Brown - Amazing what a kid can do when he is healthy - this board was really tough on him last year when he was playing hurt - maybe someone would at least acknowledge he has been better this year? I really like his game - tough on the puck in the corners and can score, also like how he has played better in our end - kid has to be a target of trade rumors but I for one will hate to see him moved - he ( and Day,Luchuk) will be players that this team will miss.
Has Brown been better? Yes, marginally. I wish I had either your low expectations or your rose coloured glasses. Maybe your watching different games. Offensively stat wise he has good totals BUT, in 15gp this year he is a +player in 5gp, a -player in 9gp and a 0 in the other. I don't know what to say if you think that is anywhere near where a top line player should be in the "O". He's been a better version than last year, good one game, unnoticeable in others. Do you even watch him when he doesn't have the puck. If the other team scores look in about a 8ft radius of the goalscorer, and odds are Brown is the spit in that area standing there with his stick at his waist watching. I don't get the hype surrounding this guy, 6'6", who cares he plays soft , is one of the easiest Spits to push off the puck, and can go periods between touching an opposing player on the ice. Funny how when other teams talk of acquiring high end players like Raddyish I never here Brown's name come up. Still has to play with the top players to do anything.

Reactions: windsor7

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I understand what you're saying I wouldn't feel that bad for them. All these kids know the deal and sign up for it by deciding to play in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL. Some of them are fortunate enough to wield the power if/when they want to use that ntc. Like you said it's a business they will understand when they get older by the same token they have to learn about it some way. New faces in new places that's the easiest way to look at it whether it's for the better or worse we will find out.

Rayzor...question for you.
I know you're familiar with the junior leagues and U.S. college hockey. Why do you think hockey Canada selected Point over DiPietro? I have a lot of respect for DiPietro's talents, and I would have liked to have seen him paired with Hart. I'm not too familiar with Point (U.S. college players). Can you make the case for Point over DiPietro?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad