Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Regardless of it being DiPietro, I don’t like the move myself. This was a perfect year to bring in an 18 y/o that could back up and be groomed into next year but could easily step in as a starter if needed as well. Granted it isn’t too often Canada does this.

This is not to take anything away from Point who has been on fire this year.

It's not just this year that Point has been on fire. He was terrific last year as well at Colgate. DiPietro will have his shot next year and at this point Canada isn't about to groom a goalie for next year. They pretty much have to at least show for a gold medal this year. DiPietro could have done that but.... Hart was the goalie last year there was no reason he wasn't going to be the man this year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor at Saginaw, Patton and Cormier are the starting goalies
Not dressed for Windsor, Dipietro,Brown, Vilardi, Larionov, Kitkevicius, Henault, MacDougall.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor with 7 players out of lineup, including Brown, Dipietro, Vilardi, MacDougall, Kitkevicius, Henault, Larionov knock off Saginaw 5-1 in Saginaw tonight to go into the Christmas break on a winning note and sole possession of 3rd place in the division and 4th in the conference.Spits are now 18-11-2-1 after 32 games,and are 6-1-1-1 in their last 9 games.Tonights win 1st victory without Mike Dipietro in the cage this season as goalie Lucas Patton rewarded with the start tonight after his last game stopped 27/28 shots to backstop Windsor to victory.While not severely tested he did look steady, especially the last 2 periods,seemed to show more confidence then his previous outing.
Spits were led offensively by Cole Purboo who had 2G,2A,and Jake Smith who was moved to the Purboo line with Sirman due to the absence of Mathew MacDougall (flu),chipped in with a goal and 2 assists, while Sirman added an assist to give the line 8 points on the night.Newcomer Curtis Douglas again scored tonight giving him 2 in 2 since joining the team Thursday in the Luchuk trade, again he looked real good for the Spits.Dman Austin McEneny scored the Spits 5th goal on a rocket in the 3rd for his 1st of the season.
Connor Corcoran continues to chip in more offensively adding an assist tonight giving him 6 points in his last 5 games.
Interestingly Sean Day Spits most gifted dman went pointless tonight,he also went pointless on Thursday as well, Only one penalty in the game,and that was to Douglas in the 2nd,so the Spits scored all 5 goals at even strength tonight.
Spits the better team in the 1st and in the 3rd earned this one taking them to the break.
Nice to see, especially with alot of guys out of the lineup,Spits dressed only 19 guys tonight.

Reactions: randomhero4life

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Windsor with 7 players out of lineup, including Brown, Dipietro, Vilardi, MacDougall, Kitkevicius, Henault, Larionov knock off Saginaw 5-1 in Saginaw tonight to go into the Christmas break on a winning note and sole possession of 3rd place in the division and 4th in the conference.Spits are now 18-11-2-1 after 32 games,and are 6-1-1-1 in their last 9 games.Tonights win 1st victory without Mike Dipietro in the cage this season as goalie Lucas Patton rewarded with the start tonight after his last game stopped 27/28 shots to backstop Windsor to victory.While not severely tested he did look steady, especially the last 2 periods,seemed to show more confidence then his previous outing.
Spits were led offensively by Cole Purboo who had 2G,2A,and Jake Smith who was moved to the Purboo line with Sirman due to the absence of Mathew MacDougall (flu),chipped in with a goal and 2 assists, while Sirman added an assist to give the line 8 points on the night.Newcomer Curtis Douglas again scored tonight giving him 2 in 2 since joining the team Thursday in the Luchuk trade, again he looked real good for the Spits.Dman Austin McEneny scored the Spits 5th goal on a rocket in the 3rd for his 1st of the season.
Connor Corcoran continues to chip in more offensively adding an assist tonight giving him 6 points in his last 5 games.
Interestingly Sean Day Spits most gifted dman went pointless tonight,he also went pointless on Thursday as well, Only one penalty in the game,and that was to Douglas in the 2nd,so the Spits scored all 5 goals at even strength tonight.
Spits the better team in the 1st and in the 3rd earned this one taking them to the break.
Nice to see, especially with alot of guys out of the lineup,Spits dressed only 19 guys tonight.

Who’d have thought Purboo would be leading the Spits in scoring?
Liar,liar pants on fire..Seriously Purboo has made great strides this season and he can thank Barb Underhill for improving his skating. He now appears ready for a shot at a pro job.
A great all round effort by the Spits on the road last night. Perhaps WR has found his calling on the bench. At the very least he now has a different view of who is really putting out.
As for Sean Day ...it was if he was so invisible I had to watch for him specifically to see if he was off injured. Almost as if he was playing 'to not get hurt'. Later in the game he became more involved.
Pattons play has put him in position to be the backup or should Mikey move on the #1 guy.
What last night showed me is that we will be fine when the older guys get moved....

Last edited:
Reactions: DetSpitsFan

member 71782

Who’d have thought Purboo would be leading the Spits in scoring?
Liar,liar pants on fire..Seriously Purboo has made great strides this season and he can thank Barb Underhill for improving his skating. He now appears ready for a shot at a pro job.
A great all round effort by the Spits on the road last night. Perhaps WR has found his calling on the bench. At the very least he now has a different view of who is really putting out.
As for Sean Day ...it was if he was so invisible I had to watch for him specifically to see if he was off injured. Almost as if he was playing 'to not get hurt'. Later in the game he became more involved.
Pattons play has put him in position to be the backup or should Mikey move on the #1 guy.
What last night showed me is that we will be fine when the older guys get moved....

Purboo has been a surprise. Admittedly I'm no fan and his skating still has a long ways to go but he has shown to be able to take advantage of opportunities as they come around.

I think Day assumes he will be gone in the coming weeks and appears to be going through the motions at times. He appears to be playing a bit more conservative than usual and maybe that's why he doesn't seem so visible out there. If so is it his call or someone else's or has he just lost focus with all the rumours etc? When he makes all those end to end rushes people have issues, when he doesn't he is invisible at times, I don't think he can catch a break on his play and that may be part of it as well. Hopefully he is moved and to a team where his up tempo offensive play fits in.

Although it's just a small sample I agree about Patton. He took a team that, while struggling should be contending to a shootout for his first start and came back and won his second start against one of the hottest teams, playing behind a young, shortened line up. There will be bumps in the road but I think, as of now he has over taken Baier. If DiPietro is moved t would be nice to see Baier and Patton battle it out the rest of the season, run with the hot hand to see who takes the starting role next year while Windsor hopefully brings in a high end 16 or 17 year old to prepare for the future.

A short line up took advantage of their opportunities and won last night with most of the top players out, good game.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Purboo is a classic case of a late bloomer,and 9th Rd pick from the 2015 draft is showing alot of what we saw in his 1st rookie camp,the skill and hockey sense is what stood out,and now 2 years later,more things coming together,size, strength,better skater with more work necessary to improve further.
He has 18 points in his last 9 games,20 in his last 11 ,and 27 points in his last 22 games.
William Sirman is another one who is coming into his own especially the last 9 games,7 points that stretch, solid 2 way play, another guy with good hockey sense,mixed in with some moxie and grit.He was taken in the 14th round in 2015,100 selections after Purboo.

Reactions: SpItFiReZ

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Some stats to look at after 32 games of play this season.
Spits record of 18-11-2-1 leaves them 3rd in the division,4th in the conference,and 7th o/a in the league,as they have 39 points.
Spits last year after 68 games, finished 5 in the conference and 5th overall.
On the PP this season the Spits are#2 overall at 26.5 per cent, and on the PK they are 5th overall,not bad on the PK when you consider they are employing 4 rookies on the D.
In the goals for category Spits have scored 109 goals for an average of 3.41 per game, interestingly last year they scored 232 goals for the same goals for average of 3.41 as this year.
In the goals against category Spits have allowed 102 goals,for an average of 3.12 per game excluding empty netters,last year it was 2.72 .

One stat I like is that the Spits are 10-4-2-1 with both Brown and Vilardi out of the lineup, actually Day missed 5 games as well with those 2 missing.
Overall pretty pleased with the season to date considering all the new players in the lineup,new head coach,goalie coach,player development coach, early graduation, injuries,and a few not alot not quite playing to their potential,I will speak about those in upcoming posts.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Watched some of the game last night but I did catch the Warren interview - interesting conversation - he pretty much said that DiPietro was not going anywhere and felt his value would still be high next year. Also said he was expecting to bring in some more draft picks and young players - IMO the hint from him was these moves have to wait until the 01's are available to be moved which happens after Jan 1. He also eluded to the fact he was building toward 2020 for another run - 01's would be part of that and his picks from Arron's trade would be perfect trade pieces for any moves he would need in 2020. Most people don't give him much credit but he always seems to have a plan and acts on it.

Tomorrow I will start boring everyone with my mid-term reviews - starting with coaching.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Watched some of the game last night but I did catch the Warren interview - interesting conversation - he pretty much said that DiPietro was not going anywhere and felt his value would still be high next year. Also said he was expecting to bring in some more draft picks and young players - IMO the hint from him was these moves have to wait until the 01's are available to be moved which happens after Jan 1. He also eluded to the fact he was building toward 2020 for another run - 01's would be part of that and his picks from Arron's trade would be perfect trade pieces for any moves he would need in 2020. Most people don't give him much credit but he always seems to have a plan and acts on it.

Tomorrow I will start boring everyone with my mid-term reviews - starting with coaching.

Outsider

Why don't you start today with your assessments,I could use a good nap
Ha ha

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
In the category of what a difference 7 months make;
During the last 2 games, Spits only dressed 4 players that suited up for Windsor during the Mem Cup Tourney,Boka,Day, Purboo and McEneny.Going 1-0-0-1, scoring 8 goals in those 2 games pretty impressive imo especially with your best rookie Mathew McDougall not dressed last night in Saginaw.

member 71782

With the holiday break upon us along with the various trade freezes in place or coming into place here's a look at Windsor's draft pick situation as of now.

2018 - 1, 6, 7, Sar 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, Kit 13, Ott 14, Ott 15
2019 - 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14
2020 - 1, 4, Osh 4, Kit 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Ott 14, 15
2021 - 1, Sud 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Bar 15
2022 - 1, Bar 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2023 - 1, Kit 2, 3, Kit 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2024 - 1, Kit 2, Bar 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2025 - 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2026 - 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 15

Some of the missing picks are conditionals and Windsor may still have them if the conditions are not met.

2019 - 11 goes to Barrie if Vincent DeSanctis plays one game.
2021 - 5 to Hamilton becomes a 4 if Kutkecivicius gets 45 points.
2021 - 3 to Niagara if unspecified conditions are met regarding Graham Knott playing an OA season and/or Trent Frederics reports to Windsor.
2022 - 3 to Niagara if unspecified conditions are met regarding Graham Knott playing an OA season and/or Trent Frederics reports to Windsor.
2023 - 4 to Ottawa if Hunter Carrick plays one game for Windsor.
2025 - 2 to Kitchener becomes an earlier 2 if one is acquired.
2026 - 2 to Hamilton unspecified conditions regarding Adam Laishraim playing an OA season. May also become an earlier 2 if one is acquired. Unknown how it relates to Bracco deal.

So while some of these picks will help Windsor's draft situation in the future a couple could cost Windsor in the short term. 2021/2022 3rds likely return to Windsor. The 2025 2nd returns to Windsor once an earlier 2nd is acquired. Windsor has already acquired 2 2nds in the Luchuk deal so my guess is it will be the earliest 2nd that becomes available. The 2026 2nd becomes an earlier 2nd if Laishraim is here for an OA year and one becomes available, my guess would be after the Kitchener conditional deal has been resolved.

The 2025 and possibly the 2026 2nds could cost us once all deals are done, the 2026 only if Laischraim ends up here this year. If Rychel wants a pick in the 2nd round in 2018 he needs to acquire at least 2, possibly 3.

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks, Rychel has his work cut out for himself but at least he may have a 2nd and a couple of 3rds coming back if conditions aren't met.

If anyone has any different info on the conditions please correct what I have, what I have is from ScoresFromCentre's database.

Last edited by a moderator:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
With the holiday break upon us along with the various trade freezes in place or coming into place here's a look at Windsor's draft pick situation as of now.

2018 - 1, 6, 7, Sar 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, Kit 13, Ott 14, Ott 15
2019 - 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14
2020 - 1, 4, Osh 4, Kit 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Ott 14, 15
2021 - 1, Sud 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Bar 15
2022 - 1, Bar 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2023 - 1, Kit 2, 3, Kit 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2024 - 1, Kit 2, Bar 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2025 - 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
2026 - 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 15

Some of the missing picks are conditionals and Windsor may still have them if the conditions are not met.

2019 - 11 goes to Barrie if Vincent DeSanctis plays one game.
2021 - 5 to Hamilton becomes a 4 if Kutkecivicius gets 45 points.
2021 - 3 to Niagara if unspecified conditions are met regarding Graham Knott playing an OA season and/or Trent Frederics reports to Windsor.
2022 - 3 to Niagara if unspecified conditions are met regarding Graham Knott playing an OA season and/or Trent Frederics reports to Windsor.
2023 - 4 to Ottawa if Hunter Carrick plays one game for Windsor.
2025 - 2 to Kitchener becomes an earlier 2 if one is acquired.
2026 - 2 to Hamilton unspecified conditions regarding Adam Laishraim playing an OA season. May also become an earlier 2 if one is acquired. Unknown how it relates to Bracco deal.

So while some of these picks will help Windsor's draft situation in the future a couple could cost Windsor in the short term. 2021/2022 3rds likely return to Windsor. The 2025 2nd returns to Windsor once an earlier 2nd is acquired. Windsor has already acquired 2 2nds in the Luchuk deal so my guess is it will be the earliest 2nd that becomes available. The 2026 2nd becomes an earlier 2nd if Laishraim is here for an OA year and one becomes available, my guess would be after the Kitchener conditional deal has been resolved.

The 2025 and possibly the 2026 2nds could cost us once all deals are done, the 2026 only if Laischraim ends up here this year. If Rychel wants a pick in the 2nd round in 2018 he needs to acquire at least 2, possibly 3.

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks, Rychel has his work cut out for himself but at least he may have a 2nd and a couple of 3rds coming back if conditions aren't met.

If anyone has any different info on the conditions please correct what I have, what I have is from ScoresFromCentre's database.
As far as 2018 picks this year there are other ways to get them - The draft pick window in April Warren could move a a far away 2nd and add in a later round pick to acquire a 2nd or 3rd in 2018. There are a number of teams out there that have probably too many 2nds this year and will never ice all of these kids. Ottawa and Saginaw come to mind - they would certainly be happy with moving picks to spread out their 2nd's. There would be more value for them to at least get a pick a few years out instead of in a sense loosing that pick this year. The trade deadline for players does not signal the end of any opportunity to acquire picks for this year.

member 71782

As far as 2018 picks this year there are other ways to get them - The draft pick window in April Warren could move a a far away 2nd and add in a later round pick to acquire a 2nd or 3rd in 2018. There are a number of teams out there that have probably too many 2nds this year and will never ice all of these kids. Ottawa and Saginaw come to mind - they would certainly be happy with moving picks to spread out their 2nd's. There would be more value for them to at least get a pick a few years out instead of in a sense loosing that pick this year. The trade deadline for players does not signal the end of any opportunity to acquire picks for this year.

While this can be done it's not ideal to be spending extra future assets to get back to even.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I don't think anyone has questioned if Warren has a plan. People question how he goes about it. It's fine to target 2020 I don't know if he means the 19-20 season or the 20-21 season probably more realistic to believe it's the latter. Talking about the Luchuk picks being used as bait to improve the team. How about they just keep on hoarding assets instead of just getting back to where you were before? There's a reason the Spits have lacked consistent teams year after year and enjoyed that success. Warren says the fans are smart well sounds like he still under estimates them if you are to take those comments for what they are worth.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I don't think anyone has questioned if Warren has a plan. People question how he goes about it. It's fine to target 2020 I don't know if he means the 19-20 season or the 20-21 season probably more realistic to believe it's the latter. Talking about the Luchuk picks being used as bait to improve the team. How about they just keep on hoarding assets instead of just getting back to where you were before? There's a reason the Spits have lacked consistent teams year after year and enjoyed that success. Warren says the fans are smart well sounds like he still under estimates them if you are to take those comments for what they are worth.
The part about going for it in 2020 he said - the Luchuk picks was an idea I tossed out there - not part of the interview.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think there's a happy middle ground between hoarding picks and dealing them all away. I don't see Windsor lacking picks to that extent for the next run, but there's also no need to keep every pick.

member 71782

I think there's a happy middle ground between hoarding picks and dealing them all away. I don't see Windsor lacking picks to that extent for the next run, but there's also no need to keep every pick.

I don't think hoarding picks has ever been an issue for Rychel, at times in the past he's gotten rid of them as fast as he's brought them in.

If he is looking at 3/4 years out ideally having an extra 2nd next year, be even the next couple of drafts so there is kids in the system then extra 2nds/3rds/4ths for 3 - 5 years following their intended run to make any deals that need to be made without leaving the cupboard completely bare.

That does require some hoarding but first, let's see how close to even the team is after the deadline.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So starting my annual mid-term review - All of this is my opinion of course and comments and chuckles are most welcome.

Coaching/Management
So first up thank goodness no more Rocky Hockey! Nothing like watching a game where we go into the trap to protect a 1 goal lead with 58 minutes left in the game so lets just move on from there.
So continuing from last year I still have no idea what Jerrod does and to add to that no idea now what Tyler does - why do we need the title of "skills and development coach" ? Isn't that what all coaches do? I get they have roles, one the PP and offense one the PK and defense but maybe HL you can clear this up for me?
Trevor is by far more of a "players coach". The head coach has to be careful with this but he seems to be able to walk that line - you can tell players are buying in. Team as a whole has never forechecked in years like we see it this year. Most systems are standard but for me used in the right places, yes we even use the trap but when the situation applies. I really like how mid-game changes are made - last year it seemed to be stuck in the mud but this year you can see the kids know - should I pinch in from the D or this is not the right time to pinch in. Kids really seem to buy in with any change up as instructed through the game, always some oops plays but it is junior hockey. So on the whole I like the way this team is being guided and how they are playing, I mean really who had them in 4th place at the break?
Warren - this will be a watershed year for him - his back is against the wall ( self induced) so we will see how he comes out of the trade window and how good of picks and players he gets. So far so good, nice trade with Luchuk and a nice return - for me that was a signal move that we are in a retooling year - I mean if Warren had had visions of going for it he never would have traded Luchuk.

Tomorrow - Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad