Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
One thing I forgot to mention that I really liked - a Spitfire was around Cavella and was approached by a Firebird. Words exchanged. Douglas immediately skates over and gets in-between them. The "you're not touching my brother" idea. Douglas and the Firebird exchanged words but nothing came of it (unfortunately). This was fantastic to see. Not many are going to willingly mess with Douglas and that's big.

Reactions: NuSpitzFan

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
One thing I forgot to mention that I really liked - a Spitfire was around Cavella and was approached by a Firebird. Words exchanged. Douglas immediately skates over and gets in-between them. The "you're not touching my brother" idea. Douglas and the Firebird exchanged words but nothing came of it (unfortunately). This was fantastic to see. Not many are going to willingly mess with Douglas and that's big.

Douglas is a stud. I hope the Spitfires are able to make a run with him in the lineup.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
He genuinely seems to be having fun out there, which is good. It wouldn't shock me to see him put 20-25 goals in at some point, either. He has the speed and creativity to do damage in a year or two.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits/Flint game only had 6 minutes in penalties in it until a scrum/ mini brawl occurred at the buzzer.56 minutes in penalties we're assessed by the refs to 4 players each getting the college equivalent of a fighting penalty, Double minors and misconducts were handed out to Boka and Shankar of Windsor,and Dellandrea and Roberts from Flint.Those penalties saved suspensions from occuring for fighting after the expiration of time.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
To be fair, those weren't fights. Shankar threw one punch with the gloves off, but I've seen similar situations in previous seasons (when fighting WAS allowed) get called roughing minors.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With today's win over Flint,Spits are now 6-6-0-2 since the Aaron Luchuk trade, which began a huge exodus of players most of them key,7 players in total, Luchuk,Brown Day, McEneny, Vilardi, Kozhevnikov and Kadlec.
4 major players, Vilardi would have been the 5th had he suited up,plus Kozhevnikov and Kadlec.
5 players were brought in, Douglas, Morgan, Shankar,Ladd and Schiemenz, Larionov returned from injury, picked up 5 points in 6 games,then got hurt again this time from a blindside hit resulting in concussion, about 14 days ago, Kitkevicius has returned from a 3 month absence due to a broken wrist, definitely a new program needed to keep track of whose here.Very early, however to give definitive views however i have been pretty impressed with the play of Douglas, Shankar, Schiemenz, Morgan, Larionov till he got injured,think they have missed as of late.Ladd is improving every game,needs to bulk up moving forward, while Kitkevicius is shaking off some rust while being off all this time,I do hope and think he will contribute moving ahead.
Not surprised the scoring would dip with all the moves, the PP was 2nd overall when Luchuk was dealt now it's 8th,the PK however not bad,it was
5th best,now it's 4th,the play of Shankar,and the improved play of rookie Lev Starikov have contributed I think to fairly good PK, forward Chris Playfair has taken on a more prominent role on the PK,and is doing a nice job upfront on the penalty kill.
Back to Starikov, apparently has put on 10 lbs, playing with more confidence,improved puck handling skills,sealing off guys defensively with his size and reach,this guy is a keeper in my view, looking forward to seeing him develop.
Goalie Michael Dipietro when Luchuk was dealt was averaging 2.67, now after today's game vs Flint and garnering a League high 4th shutout,his average stands at 2.59,2nd best, Villalta of SSM is #1 at 2.49, but he isn't #1 in save percentage, that goes to Dipietro and Fazio from Sarnia with .920 save percentage.

Things won't get easier as we move along , especially with Windsor being the youngest team in league, growing and learning pains for sure but I am encouraged overall and look forward not back to the future.
There are some players who need to pick things up, mostly offensively, need to cash in on their chances,they will, just going take time.
All part of the process.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't think Flint is as bad as their record shows. They always play opponents tough.

You are what your record says you are. They are on pace for right around the same record as their first season in Flint. Let's not sugar coat it they aren't a very good team, maybe they will have a few pieces that are good players down the line but they're taking steps backwards not forward.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think today was Shankar's best game as a Spitfire. He was physical, he was giving instructions on the ice, and he got involved in the rough stuff at the end. It's coming along nicely and seems to be helping the defence. Schiemenz is also playing better; might not score a ton, but he's picking up assists, seems to read plays well, and has solid speed. For a free pickup, no issues at all. He's making the most of his second chance.

Reactions: randomhero4life

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

U r just it itching to see a fight.
Let it go!

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So yesterdays game reminded me why I don't watch NHL hockey anymore - tight checking boring hockey - can't say that I thought either team played better than the other - do think Windsor had the better scoring changes and DiPietro was not really challanged much, still think DiPietro played well but not many high end shooters in Flint this year ( nor in Windsor). So if this is the direction of OHL hockey, following the NHL I could see them losing myself and other fans from sheer boredom.
So my player of the game played really strong for 58 minutes - took one stupid penalty with 3 minutes left to go in the game but he had his best 58 minutes this year so far - Starikov gets the nod as he was a force out there - moving people around and had a bullet of a shot in the second - was engaged the entire game and he was playing some smart hockey ( until 3:25 of the 3rd). Getting more ice time and it is deserved. He will struggle against the bigger and older teams but so will the rest of the team. Plus 1 in a game where there was only one goal scored is a good thing.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Kinda surprised. 3 Spits on draft boards. Douglas, Corcoran, and macdougall. 70,96 and 121.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think today was Shankar's best game as a Spitfire. He was physical, he was giving instructions on the ice, and he got involved in the rough stuff at the end. It's coming along nicely and seems to be helping the defence. Schiemenz is also playing better; might not score a ton, but he's picking up assists, seems to read plays well, and has solid speed. For a free pickup, no issues at all. He's making the most of his second chance.

i dont think hes going to make the franchise fan favourite list

ChewChewTrain

Dec 30, 2017
Very good to have 3 players on the NHL Central Scouting midterm list. You also have to remember that these are among only North American skaters. After seeing all of these guys get an increased role since the beginning of the season we can only hope that they move up the rankings by the end of the season. Someone I would think would move up by the end of the season would be Curtis Douglas.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
i dont think hes going to make the franchise fan favourite list

It's been less than two weeks since the deadline. He's got two months left on the roster. Time is on his side.

with all the health issues surrounding fighters from the nhl/chl, i dont get the love for fights.

It's the concept behind it that I appreciate and respect. Not everyone is going to "get it", but that happens.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It's been less than two weeks since the deadline. He's got two months left on the roster. Time is on his side.

Uh huh. he’s a decent OA that Niagara cut to get someone better, I really hope we aim higher for ‘fan favourites’. he’s fine, no issues with the pick up. but like Sudbury picking up sanvido, it’s a body to end the year.

It's the concept behind it that I appreciate and respect. Not everyone is going to "get it", but that happens.

and it’s the brain injuries, deaths, and lack of impact that concern me, brain injuries are kinda a bad thing.

an analytical study showed that it doesn’t really accomplish much
Does the Momentum Boost From Fighting Help Teams Win Games?

not everyone is going to get brain injuries and death are bad things, but they happen.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Reactions: aresknights

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You really think it's about entertainment? No. Sorry.

It’s about brain injuries, deaths, etc. I don’t care what the rationale is, if it helps kids lead longer, healthier lives, that’s s good thing. sorry, yes

one of the places I volunteer at deals with brain injuries and helping them lead better lives. it’s great for you to celebrate their potential injuries, your not around after then the injuries become dehibilitating

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Trust me, I've been around brain injuries and I've been around the "fighting" aspect of the game for a long, long time. This is one of those debates that neither side will agree. No sweat on my part. Just don't think I like them for "entertainment." That's not the case.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Trust me, I've been around brain injuries and I've been around the "fighting" aspect of the game for a long, long time. This is one of those debates that neither side will agree. No sweat on my part. Just don't think I like them for "entertainment." That's not the case.

I can’t think that you have spent any time around those who have suffered brain injuries if you celebrate something that causes them. I don’t care why you lie them, they hurt people. that’s all

it’s great you line them, your not there to help
Them after they can’t remember who they are

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
It’s about brain injuries, deaths, etc. I don’t care what the rationale is, if it helps kids lead longer, healthier lives, that’s s good thing. sorry, yes

You must not step out of your house....or if you do you must be wearing a helmet to protect yourself. It drives me crazy listening to people go on and on about how fighting is a leading cause of brain damage.
Let me first enlighten you, advocates have taken the extremes and reworked it to be the norm. Yes anyone with any intelligence can see a correlation between fighting and brain trauma, but it is at the extreme ends of the scale.
Secondly, when you question the scientists on their data from about brain trauma the indicate it points to hitting and fighting, yet they can't explain why there are more concussions in women's hockey which has neither.
Lastly, if the NFL and subsequently the NHL had not been sued you would not be seeing this drastic of a change in the game.
I do not wish to see any man, women or child ever get hurt. Me personally, I would rather see two guys drop the gloves for a hockey fight than see a kid get pasted from behind and go head first into the boards....but don't get me started on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad