Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I can’t think that you have spent any time around those who have suffered brain injuries if you celebrate something that causes them. I don’t care why you lie them, they hurt people. that’s all

it’s great you line them, your not there to help
Them after they can’t remember who they are

Trust me, I know. This is nothing new to me. I also don't "celebrate" fights (well, maybe goalie fights haha), but I certainly understand and respect the reasons behind them.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I can’t think that you have spent any time around those who have suffered brain injuries if you celebrate something that causes them. I don’t care why you lie them, they hurt people. that’s all

it’s great you line them, your not there to help
Them after they can’t remember who they are
When you get ran head first on a boarding or layed out from a blindside hit and nobody has the ability to do anything about it you'll understand. Eric Lindros isn't retired from a fight. Travis Roy isn't in a wheelchair from a fight. Fighting isn't IN THE GAME for ENTERTAINMENT purposes. Checking causes brain injuries. Getting hit in the head from a slapshot causes brain injuries. How many people where you volunteer are there because of a hockey fight? I truly believe fighting in hockey keeps the more dangerous, dirty plays down. Every game I see a check from behind or boarding that is dangerous and think "That guy probably wouldn't have done that if he knew he was gonna get whooped after." It's 2018. Everybody is more proactive about it now. The problem is being highlighted EVERYwhere now and nobody is going to be returning from concussions too early multiple times or playing through concussions like they used to. The knowledge is out there now. For individuals, for coaches, for medical staff and hopefully you see a large drop in the numbers in the near future.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
You must not step out of your house....or if you do you must be wearing a helmet to protect yourself. It drives me crazy listening to people go on and on about how fighting is a leading cause of brain damage.
Let me first enlighten you, advocates have taken the extremes and reworked it to be the norm. Yes anyone with any intelligence can see a correlation between fighting and brain trauma, but it is at the extreme ends of the scale.
Secondly, when you question the scientists on their data from about brain trauma the indicate it points to hitting and fighting, yet they can't explain why there are more concussions in women's hockey which has neither.
Lastly, if the NFL and subsequently the NHL had not been sued you would not be seeing this drastic of a change in the game.
I do not wish to see any man, women or child ever get hurt. Me personally, I would rather see two guys drop the gloves for a hockey fight than see a kid get pasted from behind and go head first into the boards....but don't get me started on that.
I saw an interview with former NY Giants OLB where they discussed CTE, concussions and depression. He pointed out he NEVER had a concussion but like EVERY ex-player he knows, there was a certain level of depression just due to the fact they're not completely focused on one object. Training, practicing, playing. They're not traveling the nation with groupies waiting for them every day at work. They miss the teammates and family mentality. They miss the aggressive release of football. They miss running onto a field with 80,000 people cheering them on. They miss being a star everywhere they go. Yes. Yes, concussions are an issue but it really seems to me to be getting way too out of hand when there are people doing just fine who have been punched in the head by Mike Tyson a couple hundred times. What I can't believe is you can board the ***** out of a guy and get 2 minutes and not even have to worry about his teammates sticking up for him anymore.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I do not wish to see any man, women or child ever get hurt. Me personally, I would rather see two guys drop the gloves for a hockey fight than see a kid get pasted from behind and go head first into the boards....but don't get me started on that.

Of course everyone wants that to stop, that has nothing to do with fighting. if there is even a 1 percent chance that fighting leaves long term health issues, then why would you celebrate it? how about we don’t see either? it’s easy to promote it, but I don’t see many people stepping up and helping those who suffer from the damage afterwards. like I said to ohltg, feel free to volunteer to help those with brain injuries, some of them resulting from fighting. we need more.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
When you get ran head first on a boarding or layed out from a blindside hit and nobody has the ability to do anything about it you'll understand. Eric Lindros isn't retired from a fight. Travis Roy isn't in a wheelchair from a fight. Fighting isn't IN THE GAME for ENTERTAINMENT purposes. Checking causes brain injuries. Getting hit in the head from a slapshot causes brain injuries. How many people where you volunteer are there because of a hockey fight?

without putting to much personal information out there because I have had a poster or two personally threaten me for posting over other topics.

with all due respect, walk a mile in my shoes and my families situation before passing judgement about what I understand.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
with all due respect, walk a mile in my shoes and my families situation before passing judgement about what I understand.

You just did the same thing above to me.

"I can’t think that you have spent any time around those who have suffered brain injuries if you celebrate something that causes them."

Nobody here is talking about "celebrating" fighting, but we understand and respect the reasons behind it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You just did the same thing above to me.

"I can’t think that you have spent any time around those who have suffered brain injuries if you celebrate something that causes them."

Nobody here is talking about "celebrating" fighting, but we understand and respect the reasons behind it.

if you had any type of person connection to the damages that it caused, you wouldn’t be posting and lecturing to those who have

like I said, it’s great that you ‘respect it’ but what happens when those guys need help? I’m pretty sure everyone posting pictures n here isn’t lining up to support them

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
if you had any type of person connection to the damages that it caused, you wouldn’t be posting and lecturing to those who have

Who said I don't have connections like that? I'm also not lecturing anyone. I'm simply stating that I have been around that aspect of the game for a long time.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Who said I don't have connections like that? I'm also not lecturing anyone. I'm simply stating that I have been around that aspect of the game for a long time.

whose to say I’m not Donald trump, I can say that, doesn’t make it true. actions and posts dictate more then anything else. you where celebrating fighting two pages ago, that doesn’t happen if you know or work
With players struggling because of it

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This is almost amusing now. What I was "celebrating" (I call it "a respect", though) was the fact that I appreciated the team sticking up for each other. Not the "they got into a fight, yay, I love fighting!" That said, if you choose not to believe that I've been around head injuries, that's on you, not me. I know the reality. I'm also done with this topic; no real point in going further.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
This is probably a dumb question and maybe I should start a thread for it but how do they select the players for the Top-prospect game? Seems the players playing does not match the NA skaters mid-term list for the draft. I always though they were taking the top 40 from that list. Understandable that a home player would play and some slight variations to mix in the "D" core and goalies but looking at the list yesterday seems they really drifted a long ways from that list. Don't think any Spits players would be there but just curious how they come up with it. And please don't throw out the London conspiriciy as I am not looking for the political answer.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This is probably a dumb question and maybe I should start a thread for it but how do they select the players for the Top-prospect game? Seems the players playing does not match the NA skaters mid-term list for the draft. I always though they were taking the top 40 from that list. Understandable that a home player would play and some slight variations to mix in the "D" core and goalies but looking at the list yesterday seems they really drifted a long ways from that list. Don't think any Spits players would be there but just curious how they come up with it. And please don't throw out the London conspiriciy as I am not looking for the political answer.

its based on nhl team surveys.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
its based on nhl team surveys.
I had actually heard a version of that from someone else - NHL teams submit a list of players they would like to see play in the game - CHL reviews the list and if there is consensus of players requested then they pick these players - top players are easy - bottom picks are requests that teams send in of someone farther down the list that they have interest with and want to see them play against some higher skilled players - not a perfect system but you can see it is driven by the NHL teams and scouts.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It's a horrible story.

No surprise that's your reaction. We see your responses to physical play and fights which is quite in-depth. Now we get to a story of a guy who clearly has something wrong with him, chooses the life of homelessness and all we can get from you is "it's a horrible story." When it comes to the discussion of fights/concussions you come off as very ho-hum, lack empathy and compassion for those individuals. All you really care for is to see your next fight the repercussions be damned.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
My reaction: None
Other side: "REACT!!!"

My reaction: "This is horrible."
Other side: "no surprise.

...and people wonder why I don't bother or move onto other topics. It's almost to the point of people looking for an argument. I gave my opinion prior to Rayzor responding. Multiple times, in fact. If that's not enough, it's on you. I really don't care.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I think it is safe to say that debating fighting in hockey, debating what is the leading cause's of concussion's in hockey on this message board might be pointless. I know a lot of people that love fighting in hockey......and wish there was more of it. I also hear a lot of people that hate it.....feel it has no place in today's game. It imho really is a 50/50 opinion and there is no point debating it.....because let's face it......nobody is going to change their opinion on here.

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

...and people wonder why I don't bother or move onto other topics. It's almost to the point of people looking for an argument. I gave my opinion prior to Rayzor responding. Multiple times, in fact. If that's not enough, it's on you. I really don't care.

Not looking for an argument you can do that quite easily by being the contrarian all the time. We can all see your posts on fights and how it bothers you the Spits don't fight. When it comes to Matt Johnson "it's a horrible story." The fact all you can do is muster up a 4 word comment is well not surprising.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think it is safe to say that debating fighting in hockey, debating what is the leading cause's of concussion's in hockey on this message board might be pointless. I know a lot of people that love fighting in hockey......and wish there was more of it. I also hear a lot of people that hate it.....feel it has no place in today's game. It imho really is a 50/50 opinion and there is no point debating it.....because let's face it......nobody is going to change their opinion on here.

its not the debate itself, its the celebrating it on one page, mocking some who dont fight well and then saying how sad the effects are on the next, but i have no interest in expanding on the discussion.

its not about SIDES, its about human beings health.

remember everyone, only one side instigates fights and keeps posts alive. i wish you guys would hold both sides to the same accountability about drawing things out, instigating and trolling people.

im done with it, but again, it takes two, so lets hold EVERYONE to the same standard. im fine with you guys going after me if i keep it going, but hes doing the same thing, so the standards should be the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: randomhero4life

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
its not the debate itself, its the celebrating it on one page, mocking some who dont fight well and then saying how sad the effects are on the next, but i have no interest in expanding on the discussion.

its not about SIDES, its about human beings health.

remember everyone, only one side instigates fights and keeps posts alive. i wish you guys would hold both sides to the same accountability about drawing things out, instigating and trolling people.

im done with it, but again, it takes two, so lets hold EVERYONE to the same standard. im fine with you guys going after me if i keep it going, but hes doing the same thing, so the standards should be the same.

I agree! it takes 2 to tango and the standards should be the same. If someone post's something contradictory.....and they get called on it....it is what it is! Expect to get called out. If that person choose's to answer to it....that's on them too. Either way...I am content lol

Reactions: OHL4Life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad