Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
You guys are hilarious, now that your super amazing, better than any of goalie in the world doesn't have a veteran, skilled, loaded with pro prospects team in front of him he is all of a sudden being rendered average and now just a mere human. News flash, now you will find out what his true character is and what he is really made of. Not easy playing goal for a last place team, young team or a team that is rebuilding. He will be hung out to dry on many occasions and besides the fans starting to question him...he will start to question himself.

Were not questioning him , but the coaches who seem not be getting a goalie rebuild ready.

Ride Mikey all year if you think the playoff gate is more important than next season ,when at some point Mikey wont be with us.

Then what??? use some more valuable assets to aquire a tender.....I myself would hold on to those draftable assets were going to need them more down the road.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Oh don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything about you or the fans directly but now you will see DiPietro for the goalie that he truly is. I have said for a long time that he is an exceptional PUCK STOPPER and questioned exactly how good of a GOALIE he was and there is a huge difference moving forward.
Hockey fans are ignorant, I don't mean beligerent, foul mouthed, insulting, I mean they are unknowing of the facts. DiPietro came into the league at the perfect time with Windsor, worked hard and grabbed the starters spot and rode that to the mem cup with a talented, highly skilled team, but now he will have to work extremely hard to keep his numbers in order and to try to help his team get any points they can.
I am sure if his support team can keep his emotions in check he will battle through and make adjustments in his game. He came out of sun county on team that was not that strong and now years later he is back in the same situation.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
We might go from a DiPietro that sees .925%/2.25GAA to a DiPietro that sees .915%/2.50GAA...and that's fine with me. I would guess that there are few goaltenders out there who could put top-3 numbers on a rebuilding squad. This is a test and, if anyone can pass it, that's DiPietro.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Oh don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything about you or the fans directly but now you will see DiPietro for the goalie that he truly is. I have said for a long time that he is an exceptional PUCK STOPPER and questioned exactly how good of a GOALIE he was and there is a huge difference moving forward.
Hockey fans are ignorant, I don't mean beligerent, foul mouthed, insulting, I mean they are unknowing of the facts. DiPietro came into the league at the perfect time with Windsor, worked hard and grabbed the starters spot and rode that to the mem cup with a talented, highly skilled team, but now he will have to work extremely hard to keep his numbers in order and to try to help his team get any points they can.
I am sure if his support team can keep his emotions in check he will battle through and make adjustments in his game. He came out of sun county on team that was not that strong and now years later he is back in the same situation.

I think it will be interesting moving forward. He's the best goalie the Spits have ever had arguably. Yet most likely after this year he will never have won a playoff series after his 3 years to this point. Has there ever been a top goalie to win a Memorial Cup but never backstop a team to a playoff series win?

Reactions: LeafsFan18

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
We might go from a DiPietro that sees .925%/2.25GAA to a DiPietro that sees .915%/2.50GAA...and that's fine with me. I would guess that there are few goaltenders out there who could put top-3 numbers on a rebuilding squad. This is a test and, if anyone can pass it, that's DiPietro.

So what you are saying is DiPietro's numbers are going to improve as the season goes on with this young team? Perfect example of me saying fans are ignorant....His numbers now are 2.66 GAA and 9.18 S%! It will be amazing if he can keep his numbers where they are now with the team he has in front of him and the prime scoring chances they are allowing.

Reactions: aresknights

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
No, I'm saying even if DiPietro goes from a Top-3 goaltender (numbers-wise) to a Top-5 or 10 goaltender (numbers-wise... I threw random stats out there, for the record), I'm not going to be upset about it. On a rebuilding squad, nobody can expect a Top-3 goaltender because of such a raw defence. He's still going to produce extremely solid goaltending, though, and there's no reason for fans to be worried.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

DiPietro has never put up numbers close to a .925 and 2.25 through any season in his career. In fact his career has been between 2.35-2.65 and a sv% around .916. He's a very good goaltender but you're being pretty unreasonable.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Again..."I threw random stats out there, for the record." Just in case it was missed. I didn't go looking for his career high, but merely making a point that if his numbers drop from near league-leading into the Top-5 or 10, there's no need to worry.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

#s drawn out of a hat? Not helping the credibility.

Edit. Already addressed.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Why does it matter so much what numbers I used when the point wasn't about the numbers, but the fact that we've still got an ace goaltender? Nitpicking seems pointless in this case.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Punch

For today's game vs Flint,and the starting of Dipietro in goal, don't think it's because of concern of losing a playoff spot, Windsor 13 points up on Erie with 2 games in hand,plus Erie is 2-16 on the road,and they haven't won a road game since Nov 18.
I would start him because he wasn't awful Friday,the team didn't play poorly, I would call it a lost game but not a wasted effort, something they can build on.At one point they were outshooting the Storm 15-3 in the 1st, down 1-0 middle of the 2nd,just missed a goal by Starikov,a couple of bad penalties,a PP goal against and momentum went out the window.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Outsider

Sound observation about Cody Morgan,showed nice chemistry with Purboo and Douglas on Friday at Guelph,his skating edges reminds me a bit of Jeremy Bracco,this acquisition also reminds me of Shugg many years ago and we saw how that worked out.
Kingston had Morgan rated 5th for the draft and got him 12th,and more then one scout that I have spoken to( not Spitfire related) also had him rated pretty high.
If Windsor plays like they did Friday against Guelph minus the bad puck luck,this afternoon vs Flint,they will be fine,even though Flint is coming off a big win last night vs SSM.
Spits now are in 6th place in the conference,10th overall.
If the draft were to be held today,Windsor would be selecting 10th in the 1st, and because they currently have Saginaw's 2nd and 3rd round picks acquired in the Kitchener deal,they would be selecting 31st in the 2nd and 51st in the 3rd.
Just keeping tabs on the draft.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Punch

For today's game vs Flint,and the starting of Dipietro in goal, don't think it's because of concern of losing a playoff spot, Windsor 13 points up on Erie with 2 games in hand,plus Erie is 2-16 on the road,and they haven't won a road game since Nov 18.
I would start him because he wasn't awful Friday,the team didn't play poorly, I would call it a lost game but not a wasted effort, something they can build on.At one point they were outshooting the Storm 15-3 in the 1st, down 1-0 middle of the 2nd,just missed a goal by Starikov,a couple of bad penalties,a PP goal against and momentum went out the window.
Not complaining about DiPietro’s play. As Popeye said ..he is what he is and that’s all what he is. I admit he’s never been my favourite but he is a solid OHL goaltender, good on shots from in close and from far out. Good on dekes. Not as good on shots 10-15 out. (IMHO).
Odds are they should beat Flint today as Flint played last night, the game is at home, Windsor has the better goal tender and Flint should be coming down from a big high last night. But as you know anything can and often does happen in the OHL.
It’ sounding like the Spits will ride DiPietro as long as they can in order ensure a playoff spot and 2 home games vs the Soo.
I have two issues with this plan. Patton is not getting enough playing time, he should be playing many games in Jr B and the risk of injury to DiPietro increases the more you overplay him...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It' dipietro and nobody else.
The people making the decisions obviously don't have the confidence to put in anyone else in net. That is fine for this year but next year they r in deep trouble. Teams not thinking ahead for the goalie situation next year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not complaining about DiPietro’s play. As Popeye said ..he is what he is and that’s all what he is. I admit he’s never been my favourite but he is a solid OHL goaltender, good on shots from in close and from far out. Good on dekes. Not as good on shots 10-15 out. (IMHO).
Odds are they should beat Flint today as Flint played last night, the game is at home, Windsor has the better goal tender and Flint should be coming down from a big high last night. But as you know anything can and often does happen in the OHL.
It’ sounding like the Spits will ride DiPietro as long as they can in order ensure a playoff spot and 2 home games vs the Soo.
I have two issues with this plan. Patton is not getting enough playing time, he should be playing many games in Jr B and the risk of injury to DiPietro increases the more you overplay him...
DiPietro has flaws but he is 18. I was one of the ones that predicted he would not play in the WJT, just thought he was not quite ready for that - good chance he is there next year - I would think next weekend Baier or Patton will get a start as they play 3 in 2 1/2 days. For me I would start one of those guys in the Soo, it will be a long night anyway with the Soo coming home after a not so good weekend - practices for them will not be fun.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Again..."I threw random stats out there, for the record." Just in case it was missed. I didn't go looking for his career high, but merely making a point that if his numbers drop from near league-leading into the Top-5 or 10, there's no need to worry.

Why pick numbers out of thin air when you have over 100 games started in the OHL for his body of work? You're trying to make a point but it was based upon imaginary numbers.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor wins 1 to 0 in a pond hockey game.
Nice to see dipietro with a shutout.
Lack of scoring continues for windsor.
Only 4 goals total scored all weekend.
I guess they will just continue to ride dipietro rest of year n have no backup prepared next year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor wins 1 to 0 in a pond hockey game.
Nice to see dipietro with a shutout.
Lack of scoring continues for windsor.
Only 4 goals total scored all weekend.
I guess they will just continue to ride dipietro rest of year n have no backup prepared next year.[/QUOTE

Disagree about lack of scoring opps,36 shots with only 1 PP,and not including 2 crossbars and 2 posts,like Friday should have 4-5 goals instead of 1 each game.
As well, team last 2 games ,has only allowed 2 even strength goals.
As for Dipietro, don't see him moved till next January trade deadline or just after World Juniors.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Scoring one goal today had nothing to do with Windsor's ability, or lack thereof, of finish. Cavellin played well for the Firebirds and deserves credit. Plus, Gordeev had a diving save to prevent an EN goal.

This club isn't going to win many games 4-1 or 5-2, but I'll take a 3-2, or even a 1-0 like today.

I'd also imagine that Baier or Patton sees action next week given three-in-three on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad