Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChewChewTrain

Dec 30, 2017
Which Spitfires are eligible for this years NHL Draft? & do you think they will get drafted (round prediction)?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Which Spitfires are eligible for this years NHL Draft? & do you think they will get drafted (round prediction)?
There is a number of players eligible - if you include re-entry players as well - For me only one that likely gets picked is Curtis Douglas - big kid good hands - see him going 5-7 round. Others might be Connor Corcoran and Starikov but if at at all late rounds. Starikov for his size and Connor shows some potential - don't see Purboo or Boka on the re-entry but you never know what teams need.

Reactions: ChewChewTrain

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
There is a number of players eligible - if you include re-entry players as well - For me only one that likely gets picked is Curtis Douglas - big kid good hands - see him going 5-7 round. Others might be Connor Corcoran and Starikov but if at at all late rounds. Starikov for his size and Connor shows some potential - don't see Purboo or Boka on the re-entry but you never know what teams need.

Starikov is not eligible missed by 2 days,his birthday is September 17/2000.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The players eligible for this year's draft (not including re-entry) are:

Playfair
McDougall
Sirman
Douglas
Corcoran
Stevenson

Angle and Starikov are 2000s but were born after September 15, which I believe is the cut-off date.

I agree that Douglas will be drafted. I would guess 3rd or 4th round. McDougall and Corcoran could possibly be drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Douglas will be a mid-round pick because he has so much potential. When you're 6'8 234, can score, and can play that physical game, you're a hot commodity. I don't see him necessarily as a huge scoring forward in the NHL but a power forward for sure. MacDougall could go, depending on how his second-half goes. Same with Corcoran; he hasn't shown much so far but he's steady. If he can put up a few points, he has a shot.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor at Guelph
Dipietro and Popovich are the starters
Not dressed for Windsor, Larionov (concussion), D'amico (flu), Patton (extra)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
3-1 Storm final tonight in Guelph.

Windsor outshot Guelph 15-4 at one point but it was all Guelph after that. Only goal was from Curtis Douglas late in the third period.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with a bit more effort tnite.
However not enough for a win.
Too many defensive miscues. Turnovers deep in the spits zone hurts windsor again.
Will c what happens on Sunday.
Maybe give dipietro a rest. He looks to be getting frustrated.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
The Spits have a nice team there even after all the trades - lots of speed and creativity. You've got a lot to look forward to going forward, and will likely create some noise in the playoffs this year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Windsor with a bit more effort tnite.
However not enough for a win.
Too many defensive miscues. Turnovers deep in the spits zone hurts windsor again.
Will c what happens on Sunday.
Maybe give dipietro a rest. He looks to be getting frustrated.

If this is what DiPietro is going to face most nights there's no reason to play him. DiPietro is a very good goalie but with this team he's been rendered to be average.

Reactions: Sec108

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
DiPietro is still the golden kid. The goal he's allowing are gimme's for the opposition due to our raw defence. There's only so much a human can do sometimes.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
So much for an easy weekend punch

I did say the Spits were playing their easiest weekend of the schedule and if you look at the remaining weekends you will probably agree.
I did not say they would win all games and get 6 points. This team will probably end up in the 0.450 - 0.500 range for the season and will still have a shot at making the playoffs due to their early season successes.
As they face different teams on the schedule I find it amusing that the various announcers read off their stat sheets and describe the Spits as having top PK and PP's.
They did have at one time, however those days are long gone. Since the sell off we are facing the stark reality of what lies ahead.
Mind you I think most of the Spit fans are not surprised that the team is dropping in the standings it was to be expected. In the remaining 25 games we face SSM (4x), Barrie (2x) Sarnia(1x) among the better teams.
Sunday the team faces Flint and probably should be able to win with Patton or Baier in net. If you see DiPietro in goal it will indicate how worried the team is about losing a playoff spot & the extra $$$...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sec108

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Have to agree with other posts re Mikey. Lets have a one to one rotation of the tenders.The kids have to learn to play no matter wh o is between the pipes.Do we want a tender next season that is still not ready ???

Cant see how Mikey and his father didnt see staying with a rebuild team as a regression of his development.I would be scared of the bad habits that can rear there ugly head when playing for long periods of time in a shooting gallery type environment.Going to a team making a run is the better choice imo.Staying was dumb.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well the streak continues but it was expected. Have to say biggest thing so far is the let down plays by Boka and Purboo - dumb penalties that lead to the game winning goal.
I am very happy with the play of some of the rookies. McDougall has struggled on the score sheet but seems to be engaged every shift, snake bitten a bit - fanned on a wide open net last night - the goals will come.
So for me the player of the game was Cody Morgan - caught a break with D'Amico out of the line up so he moved up with the Douglas line - took advantage of that and led the team with 5 shots on net. Looked real good and not out of place at all - another couple of weeks and I see him playing a big role with this team - maybe some PP time to help with the stats.
After 5 loses the team needs a win so they don't get to bummed out - here's hoping Flint can be the cure but I'm sure Flint is thinking the same thing about the Spits. I see Mickey starting tomorrow for that reason and the reason Punch mentioned. Do have some concerns right now on Mickeys play but it is not all on him, team D is very young.
I know I mentioned every drop in the standings gets you a better draft pick but they do need to win some or the team will enter next year as a broken group and a losing culture is a hard thing to overcome.

Reactions: punch1943

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Have to agree with other posts re Mikey. Lets have a one to one rotation of the tenders.The kids have to learn to play no matter wh o is between the pipes.Do we want a tender next season that is still not ready ???

Cant see how Mikey and his father didnt see staying with a rebuild team as a regression of his development.I would be scared of the bad habits that can rear there ugly head when playing for long periods of time in a shooting gallery type environment.Going to a team making a run is the better choice imo.Staying was dumb.
I think DiPietro Sr was considering the fact that Mikey has already been drafted when he chose to keep his son close to home.
The problem is now that the decision has been made it can’t be changed until the summer. His stats surely will take a hit and no matter how good he plays he is not going to be able to put this team on his shoulders and take them on a long playoff run.
He will find his playing time gets reduced somewhat as the team try’s to find a backup/replacement, that’s only logical. My hope is that he is able to ward off injuries as he has been ridden very hard in order to ensure a playoff spot.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Brock Baier hasn't played a minute of hockey in 6 weeks. Is he even in the equation as far as next year?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Brock Baier hasn't played a minute of hockey in 6 weeks. Is he even in the equation as far as next year?

No he's not. He's been signed for close to 2 years now. He has appeared in 5 games this year and the same age as DiPietro. Unless DiPietro gets traded in the summer Baier doesn't have a future here.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
If this is what DiPietro is going to face most nights there's no reason to play him. DiPietro is a very good goalie but with this team he's been rendered to be average.

DiPietro is still the golden kid. The goal he's allowing are gimme's for the opposition due to our raw defence. There's only so much a human can do sometimes.

You guys are hilarious, now that your super amazing, better than any of goalie in the world doesn't have a veteran, skilled, loaded with pro prospects team in front of him he is all of a sudden being rendered average and now just a mere human. News flash, now you will find out what his true character is and what he is really made of. Not easy playing goal for a last place team, young team or a team that is rebuilding. He will be hung out to dry on many occasions and besides the fans starting to question him...he will start to question himself.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You guys are hilarious, now that your super amazing, better than any of goalie in the world doesn't have a veteran, skilled, loaded with pro prospects team in front of him he is all of a sudden being rendered average and now just a mere human. News flash, now you will find out what his true character is and what he is really made of. Not easy playing goal for a last place team, young team or a team that is rebuilding. He will be hung out to dry on many occasions and besides the fans starting to question him...he will start to question himself.

I never touched upon his character I was merely talking about what the team is now and how it will be tough sledding in the present and moving forward. I wasn't questioning him it's more about the team in front of him. I also have never used the term super amazing and better goalie than most of the world. There was another one who anointed him the golden boy.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Have to think he gets the same message in his exit meeting this spring that Culina got in his exit meeting last spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad