Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The lack of physical play ( not just fights) is making the game tough to watch at least for most in my age group.

It's not just you, unfortunately. I've had to restrain myself from yelling "HIT HIM!" numerous times this season. The game has changed completely, even in the last 4-5 season. We've gone from being able to defend teammates without thinking to "is this hit going to cost me?" It's borderline college-hockey; some might love that and call me a meathead for saying it, but it's not the way it should be going. I tell you, the WFCU Centre gets loud when players are hitting and getting involved physically. Fans want that type of hockey (on top of winning/goals/etc).

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Side topic: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just looked and there's no rule about goaltenders being made captain. Is this correct? (I've got the rulebook open now)

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Lol ignorant?!?! Ok buddy, guess my 40 plus years in the sport are clouding my judgement!!! US players were deemed soft up until this new brand of hockey got going. Do some research. Yes I agree this has now trickled into the CHL. The lack of physical play ( not just fights) is making the game tough to watch at least for most in my age group. I've sat in many an arena for NCAA games. More dirty than physical comes to mind, never was much of a fan. The stands reflect my opinion. Just so we're clear yea I'm a fan now but I walked a ton of benches and sat in a lot of cold arenas. Don't ever call me ignorant until you know me and can back such a comment up!

Simmer down there big wheels!! lol I said ignorant comment.....I did not say anywhere that you "Teflon" is ignorant!!... I have been following the Big 10 for year's.....year's!! Have also had many ex teammate's go the NCAA route.....and to call it "Soft".....is rediculous!! The decades of the Minnesota vs Boston rivalry??? in my opinion it is fast paced, lot's of hitting ..very entertaining hockey....many that have played the game would agree!! As previously stated......maybe the lack of physical play in the CHL has a lot to do with everytime a player lay's a huge hit.....the whistle blows!! Even when it's shoulder to chest!!......Maybe it's because Wee Davey Branch would rather CHL team's play pond hockey these days!!

Last edited:

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Side topic: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just looked and there's no rule about goaltenders being made captain. Is this correct? (I've got the rulebook open now)

There is however, a rule that expressly prohibits goaltenders from leaving their crease, and venturing past their blueline....even during stoppages in play.

That would preclude them in discussing any possible penalty assessments at the referee's semi-circle in front of the scorekeeper's area. If there isn't a player with an "A" on their jersey, on the ice, then no other player can approach or speak to those officials, at that time. Having a goaltender as a team captain can be restrictive, but I'm not aware of any specific rule against it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It's not just you, unfortunately. I've had to restrain myself from yelling "HIT HIM!" numerous times this season. The game has changed completely, even in the last 4-5 season. We've gone from being able to defend teammates without thinking to "is this hit going to cost me?" It's borderline college-hockey; some might love that and call me a meathead for saying it, but it's not the way it should be going. I tell you, the WFCU Centre gets loud when players are hitting and getting involved physically. Fans want that type of hockey (on top of winning/goals/etc).

College hockey isn't like that though not even close. So tell me if it's borderline college hockey why are the crowds for college hockey better? Why are the fans into it?

Reactions: randomhero4life

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
College hockey isn't like that though not even close. So tell me if it's borderline college hockey why are the crowds for college hockey better? Why are the fans into it?

Comparing the crowds isn't a fair way to judge. College teams have a student body, aluminum, boosters. Going to a school's team game is part of the student experience. All that on top of the local community support. Totally different animal.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Maybe they should start worrying about actually getting shots on net.
They lack that too.
If u don't shoot u can't score.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Maybe they should start worrying about actually getting shots on net.
They lack that too.
If u don't shoot u can't score.

Given we're not talking about scoring, I'm not sure what the point here is. They could use a lot of things - goals, shots, Flying V, etc.

I've seen a fair amount of college hockey and it doesn't involve the style of games that the OHL in previous seasons. Unless you can show me 5-6 games (reasonable sample size) where multiple fights occur involving gloves off and squaring-off? The current OHL game is closer to college hockey than it is to previous OHL eras.

As for the "fans into it" - that's very relative. I can show you numerous clips where fans love fights and/or brawls.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Comparing the crowds isn't a fair way to judge. College teams have a student body, aluminum, boosters. Going to a school's team game is part of the student experience. All that on top of the local community support. Totally different animal.

My uncle has season ticket's to the Gopher's......very hard tickets to get!! you are right, lot's of non-student's go to these games too.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Given we're not talking about scoring, I'm not sure what the point here is. They could use a lot of things - goals, shots, Flying V, etc.

I've seen a fair amount of college hockey and it doesn't involve the style of games that the OHL in previous seasons. Unless you can show me 5-6 games (reasonable sample size) where multiple fights occur involving gloves off and squaring-off? The current OHL game is closer to college hockey than it is to previous OHL eras.

As for the "fans into it" - that's very relative. I can show you numerous clips where fans love fights and/or brawls.

The fight's maybe few and far between, even though there are some now and then (happens less when you wear a cage) but the hitting and scrums are more apparent than the CHL imho

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Which is fine, but I'm talking more about the fighting aspect. That area of the OHL game has become borderline-college. You see more guys push/shove with their gloves on, but nothing really comes of it.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Which is fine, but I'm talking more about the fighting aspect. That area of the OHL game has become borderline-college. You see more guys push/shove with their gloves on, but nothing really comes of it.

Weirdly a lot of the gloves on pushing and shoving is more apparent in NCAA, the CHL with it's 3 fight rule has gone real soft over the years......but if you are a fan of the rough stuff (like myself) try and check out some ECHL games online, no shortage of the fistacuffs here.....actually there is quite alot in the AHL this season too!!

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Quick thing about captaincy - I was looking around the OHL rulebook and goaltenders are permitted to come out of their crease during stoppages if given permission from the officials.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
There are 59 players in the OHL born in the US. If you want to include Bertuzzi with Gue who played for the Oakland Grizzlies but born in Vancouver you can use you and that would give you 60. So that would be an average of 3 per team. Saginaw leads the league with 8, Sarnia 5, Soo 5, Kingston 5. Those 4 teams approximately account for 40% of the american born players in this league. Overall 59 or 60 isn't that many, and if we were to say the average roster is 24 players then only 12% of the league is from across the border.

It wasn't uncommon for the Whalers to have 10-12 American born players with I'd say an average of half of those being from Michigan. I believe Flint has rostered around 5-7 on average. Not sure on the full OHL numbers, but one thing the Whalers did well was draft American talent that would show up. The lack of American talent the last few years is obviously more than the departure of one club, but it makes me wonder if the OHL is considering a shakeup and they push forward with the rumors of a Buffalo team in the near future. I think it would be exciting adding an american team closer to the east coast. As a Michigander that loves the O, I wouldn't be mad if they moved one of ours and kept the 17 Ontario Teams.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
"Flying V?
You r off your rocker again."

--- You didn't get the reference, did you. This quacks me up.

DetSpitsFan - I remember that fight very well. Todd and Pisellini were two legit guys to talk to.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
"Flying V?
You r off your rocker again."

--- You didn't get the reference, did you. This quacks me up.

DetSpitsFan - I remember that fight very well. Todd and Pisellini were two legit guys to talk to.

I got the reference.
IT wasn't funny.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
What is that one glove on the ice?

As a millennial, this is the OHL I grew up on, and to be honest, I'd be purchasing more tickets during a rebuild if this kinda stuff still happened...

I totally agree with ya!! I remember watching highlight's of the North Bay Centennials vs Sudbury Wolves back in the day!!.....Wow that was a crazy rivalry!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad