GDT: Win one for Haula at Tampa

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I always forget how dirty TB is. Constant cross checks and hits away from the play then they dive and draw 6 penalties... :dunno:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Isn’t this kind of how a goalie tandem is supposed to work though. As long as one is feeling it at any given time we should be ok.

Reimer has now been good since Mrazek started being bad. Neither is the “answer”, but as long as we aren’t shy riding the hot hand we won’t get league worst goaltending.

Yes, I agree. It's a good setup for this year. However, when Ned is ready for the NHL next year, IMO it will be better for him to be behind an actual #1 tender and do the traditional backup duties. I used Corey Crawford as an example: yes, he's getting up there in age, but he's having a good year and could very well play a #1 role for somebody on a short-term basis, which is exactly what CAR could use. They don't need some long-term fix like a Holtby or a Lehner (I bet he gets a big extension in Chicago), just somebody who can bridge the gap between our current tandem situation and Nedeljkovic.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yes, I agree. It's a good setup for this year. However, when Ned is ready for the NHL next year, IMO it will be better for him to be behind an actual #1 tender and do the traditional backup duties. I used Corey Crawford as an example: yes, he's getting up there in age, but he's having a good year and could very well play a #1 role for somebody on a short-term basis, which is exactly what CAR could use. They don't need some long-term fix like a Holtby or a Lehner (I bet he gets a big extension in Chicago), just somebody who can bridge the gap between our current tandem situation and Nedeljkovic.
I’d rather sign Lehner as UFA than go after Crawford.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I’d rather sign Lehner as UFA than go after Crawford.

See, I don't think Lehner's going anywhere. IMO, he's Chicago's new long-term #1. That's why I'm not talking about him as an option. Also, knowing how our Borg operates, their favorite spot in UFA is the post-Day 1 spot, and no way does Lehner last past Day 1 of UFA even if he does somehow leave.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Are you guys getting a little bit arrogant and hubricious by now? I didn't notice any cheers for the goals in this GDT. You have to cheer for the goals. Otherwise hockey gods don't like it and punish. Oh, so harshly they punish.

[Saying you instead of we because I'm a hockey tourist at best. So that's my pronoun or what's the new fad.]

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
See, I don't think Lehner's going anywhere. IMO, he's Chicago's new long-term #1. That's why I'm not talking about him as an option. Also, knowing how our Borg operates, their favorite spot in UFA is the post-Day 1 spot, and no way does Lehner last past Day 1 of UFA even if he does somehow leave.
I don’t think Lehner will ever get a long term deal (like 3 years +). You just can’t take that chance he’ll regress into his mental struggles.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
That’s sure not how your original post reads.
That's a common problem here, with the new international audience of (Indo-European) Czechs and (Uralic) Finns and whatnot. English is so weird and illogical; poetic too, though.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
That's a common problem here, with the new international audience of (Indo-European) Czechs and (Uralic) Finns and whatnot. English is so weird and illogical; poetic too, though.

Don’t think it had anything to do with language.

His original post said this summer was finally going to be the time we get our goalie and he cited the UFA crop available this summer.

Then he says Ned is the goalie he was referring to and that he’ll be ready in a few years and we only need a stopgap until then.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No you can't blame the foreigners in hockey anymore.

Reactions: Tryamw

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Don’t think it had anything to do with language.

His original post said this summer was finally going to be the time we get our goalie and he cited the UFA crop available this summer.

Then he says Ned is the goalie he was referring to and that he’ll be ready in a few years and we only need a stopgap until then.
OK, I think I got it now. Thanks for the clarification.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
They don't need some long-term fix like a Holtby or a Lehner (I bet he gets a big extension in Chicago), just somebody who can bridge the gap between our current tandem situation and Nedeljkovic.
I'm beginning to wonder if the writing is on the wall for Nedeljkovic...and right now it might be spelling Kochetkov.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm beginning to wonder if the writing is on the wall for Nedeljkovic...and right now it might be spelling Kochetkov.

It takes goalies forever to develop. At the beginning of next year, Ned will be 24 and Kochetkov will be 21. I think we're gonna have to wait a bit yet on the Russian kid, and in the meantime, Ned is .953 in his two NHL appearances. Yes, small sample size obviously, but still: don't you think Ned gets an actual stretch of games in the NHL at some point before they cut bait on him?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It takes goalies forever to develop. At the beginning of next year, Ned will be 24 and Kochetkov will be 21. I think we're gonna have to wait a bit yet on the Russian kid, and in the meantime, Ned is .953 in his two NHL appearances. Yes, small sample size obviously, but still: don't you think Ned gets an actual stretch of games in the NHL at some point before they cut bait on him?
My point was more that Kochetkov is coming fast. He's just as high of a draft pick and has equally picked up his game in the KHL.

Agree about the time it takes goalies to develop but Ned's start this season was concerning even though he's righted the ship (he did lose 4-0 today though, I think). At 24, I'd like him to be a bit more consistent.

I'm not saying he's going to be passed by, but the organization had enough concerns to use a relatively high draft pick to pick up another goalie prospect with, what was at the time, 6 goalie prospects in the system. If Ned was the clear cut heir apparent, I'd would have guessed they'd have continued to mine the later rounds for hidden gems....but that's just my impression.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
My point was more that Kochetkov is coming fast. He's just as high of a draft pick and has equally picked up his game in the KHL.

Agree about the time it takes goalies to develop but Ned's start this season was concerning even though he's righted the ship (he did lose 4-0 today though, I think). At 24, I'd like him to be a bit more consistent.

The team in front of him this year is dreadful, just as the team in front of him last year was stacked.

He was the best goalie in the AHL last year. The only reason he's not in Raleigh this year is because GMBC was able to trade away the boat anchor Darling contract for a functional goalie. Give the kid a chance in front of an actual NHL defense. Otherwise, we're closing the book on him before he's even gotten started, which makes no sense to me.

Reactions: zman77

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
He's just as high of a draft pick and has equally picked up his game in the KHL.

I am not sure this is true. Kochetkov had terrible sv% his first 6 games. Now it looks good at .925 yet he has a higher GAA.

The numbers from the KHL (and Russian junior leagues) seem inflated. Quite a few goalies are career .905 goalies in other Euro leagues or even NA leagues then put up sv% around .925 in KHL. Maybe they count every time a goalie touches the puck—even those off net and those that aren't truly shots—as saves.
Also related specifically to Kochetkov, on his current team four goalies have played at least 5 games and PK has the highest GAA and lowest sv%.

Reactions: zman77

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The team in front of him this year is dreadful, just as the team in front of him last year was stacked.

He was the best goalie in the AHL last year. The only reason he's not in Raleigh this year is because GMBC was able to trade away the boat anchor Darling contract for a functional goalie. Give the kid a chance in front of an actual NHL defense. Otherwise, we're closing the book on him before he's even gotten started, which makes no sense to me.

Again, I'm not "closing the book" on Ned, I'm just saying that the organization sees something we might not (or isn't seeing something that it wants to see). They did give him a one-way for next season, so we know the plan is for him to be in Raleigh. However, it can't be discounted that they went out, used a higher pick, and snagged another high end netminding prospect.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Again, I'm not "closing the book" on Ned, I'm just saying that the organization sees something we might not (or isn't seeing something that it wants to see). They did give him a one-way for next season, so we know the plan is for him to be in Raleigh. However, it can't be discounted that they went out, used a higher pick, and snagged another high end netminding prospect.

I don’t think drafting Kochetkov says anything about Ned. You can never have enough goalie prospects and we had a million draft picks so why not? Maybe he was rated BPA on their list when we took him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad