GDT: Win one for Haula at Tampa

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Theres a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about the refs on reddit and the tampa GDT but I keep watching the replay and I can not let go of the slashing call that should have been an awarded goal. It's not like they missed the slash, they called it- even when clearly there were hot heads about teravainen and stamkos, they called hedman for the slash away from all that. Svechnikov was in behind everyone and the net was empty when he got slashed. That's an awarded goal.

The replay:

The rule:
25.1 Awarded Goal – A goal will be awarded to the attacking team when the opposing team has taken their goalkeeper off the ice and an attacking player has possession and control of the puck in the neutral or attacking zone, without a defending player between himself and the opposing goal, and he is prevented from scoring as a result of an infraction committed by the defending team

Like what is missing from this situation to award a goal? Why am I the only one banging this drum?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Like what is missing from this situation to award a goal? Why am I the only one banging this drum?

It should have been an automatic goal, but I can't really blame them for not making that call at the time. TT probably should have been called for his hit on Stamkos, and one of the Tampa players definitely should have been called for the mugging that occurred after that, so I think the refs were more interested in trying to get control of the game than worrying about the letter of the law, so to speak.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I get that rationale, but if that was what they were concerned about why call a penalty on something that happened 80 feet away from that whole deal and call nothing on anyone involved in it? I know there's no real answer to this and it really doesn't matter anyway. I'm just perplexed at the decision making of the refs and the lack of reaction by the coaches or the broadcast team. I would've thought Tripp would rant and rave about it.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Theres a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about the refs on reddit and the tampa GDT but I keep watching the replay and I can not let go of the slashing call that should have been an awarded goal. It's not like they missed the slash, they called it- even when clearly there were hot heads about teravainen and stamkos, they called hedman for the slash away from all that. Svechnikov was in behind everyone and the net was empty when he got slashed. That's an awarded goal.

The replay:

The rule:
25.1 Awarded Goal – A goal will be awarded to the attacking team when the opposing team has taken their goalkeeper off the ice and an attacking player has possession and control of the puck in the neutral or attacking zone, without a defending player between himself and the opposing goal, and he is prevented from scoring as a result of an infraction committed by the defending team

You aren't.
refs gonna ref.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
We still blow leads easily.

Our defense is still bad.

PP is meh.

We won, but I figured we would blow it.

All this is true, but...

they’re in a playoff spot on 12/1. When was the last time that was a thing? I’ll take it.

I’d add that I think they are really missing Williams, but the treading of water they’ve done while Williams has been in semi-retirement has been good.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
For me, I’m not sure Svech actually had possession of the puck before the slash. Given the rule, that could be the reason no goal was awarded.

Also, Stammer should have been called for a dive. TT gave him a tap in the pants and Stammer’s head “flew” forward....totally trying to draw a call there.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Except they didn't blow the lead. The got the lead at 4:49 of the first and held the lead for the entire game.
It was Staal's doing—he had them ready to play early. I especially like how he let Aho and Slavin know that a goal at the end of the first period would make all the difference. Then at the end you could see the team thinking about his rousing talk about finishing the game.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It was Staal's doing—he had them ready to play early. I especially like how he let Aho and Slavin know that a goal at the end of the first period would make all the difference. Then at the end you could see the team thinking about his rousing talk about finishing the game.

There's an 80% chance you're Tripp Tracey

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
After effects from where he ran into the boards last night. Maybe his ankle? Rod is saying he’s day-to-day.
I missed the Nashville game and only watched the highlights so didn’t know how he got hurt. Saw the replay of the injury last night.

Skating too fast into the end boards and hurting himself is so Necas. I’m surprised we aren’t talking about that more. It’s the most likely way he’s going to end his career.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I missed the Nashville game and only watched the highlights so didn’t know how he got hurt. Saw the replay of the injury last night.

Skating too fast into the end boards and hurting himself is so Necas. I’m surprised we aren’t talking about that more. It’s the most likely way he’s going to end his career.

I think like anything else, when injuries occur because of a repeated action, the player will learn if he wants a career. Skinner had a knack of holding on to the puck too long, in traffic trying to make plays and it caused him two (of his 3) concussions. The open ice spin move he tried against EDM and how long he held the puck against Toronto before a defenseman finally plastered him into the board both were due to that. He learned that he can still be aggressive offensively, but sometimes needs to give up the puck sooner so he can live to fight another day.

Necas is great because he can make decisions and plays at full speed, which a lot of players can't. He needs to learn when to slow it down, and I think he will. If he can't, as you said, it could be a constant source of injury.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
So when we finally get our goalie it’s going to be a 35 year old who’s had severe concussion related issues the past few seasons?

Can’t wait.

“Finally get our goalie” is actually Ned. I just think that a guy like Crawford would be an excellent present-day #1 for a couple of years until Ned is ready. Both Mrázek and Reimer have one year left and are tradable pieces if they perform at their best.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad