Post-Game Talk: WIN!!! - Flyers @ Preds- 10/10/2017: "The You Aren't In Trouble Till You Lose At Home" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It's one game so we'll have time to see what he's got.

Isn't it 40 games Girard can play up without burning a year in ELC? So we could basically keep him up the whole year.

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
Based on one competitive game(!) I wouldn't say girard isn't ready for NHL, he's not a top liner yet but he's definitely better than Irwin, Weber and 2bit on that showing. The only reason not to keep him is to push back the ELC but with Ellis out so long and my supply of adult diapers for Irwin ice-time running low I don't think it's a good idea. Let's see how the next 8 games go but my prediction is he stays.

Even though we looked hopeless for good chunks of that game I liked the Aberg-Bonino-Hartnell line, I'd quite like to see Fiala on it now Bonino looks a bit more comfortable but for the sake of trying to get some stability in the lines I wouldn't mind seeing us go out as:

JoFA
Aberg - Bonino - Hartnell
Fiala - Jarnkrok/Sissons - Smith
McLeod/Salomaki - Jarnkrok/Watson - Watson/McLeod

Josi - Subban
Ekholm - Girard
Emelin - Weber

I think Ekholm is a nice pairing for Girard at the moment, a little less likely to be caught too far up the ice than Josi but I wouldn't hate it if they swapped. I know I'm beating a dead horse but I really think we paid for splitting up 92, 9 and 33 in the first two periods.

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge

Isn't it 40 games Girard can play up without burning a year in ELC? So we could basically keep him up the whole year.

Under 40 games wouldn't start the clock to free agency (which we can only delay for another year anyway I think) but I'm not sure if it affects the ELC? They always make my head spin but I think once he plays 10 games that's the first year of his ELC.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Under 40 games wouldn't start the clock to free agency (which we can only delay for another year anyway I think) but I'm not sure if it affects the ELC? They always make my head spin but I think once he plays 10 games that's the first year of his ELC.

Yeah, you're right it doesn't burn ELC but it makes you reach UFA a year earlier.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Jez is correct, 10 games starts the ELC, 40 games counts as a "pro season" toward UFA status

Im sure he will get his 9 games but if he isn't absolutely ready to play every night they will send him back

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Also would like to see some PP time for Girard. It's only one game but would be awesome if he could play well enough to earn a spot.

Ekholm - Subban
Josi - Ellis
Girard - Emelin

If that isn't the best D-core in the league

Still think Calgary has us beat but it is pretty good. Girard had a good game, but he still has some areas he needs to improve on.

Couple of solid breakout passes and I liked how he stood up for Pekka.

He could be a gem. Certainly liked him better than Carrier during the pre-season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The banner ceremony brought forth emotions.

Forsberg had that look. He is determined to live up to his A in spades, y'all.
Hartnell--I have always loved that guy. So happy to have him back in a Preds jersey!
Refs--they taketh away, they giveth. And thank you Preds for being able to score on a 6 on 3.
Was good to see FossilFndr!

Goalie Boy's Japanese students watched the game ("English learning experience") and one yelled "in actual English 'He [Forsberg] is best! He is favorite and best!'"
Makes this mom proud. He's teaching the third generation of Preds fans on the other side of the world.

Most importantly, we get PIE.

There is/was actually a Forsberg and Rinne jersey in a random store in Akihabara haha.

Reactions: Adz

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Well that was a game that I don't think we'll forget for a while. Definitely will at least be recalled often when we talk about home openers. A lot of things to like, a lot of things to dislike, but the Preds won so that's all that really matters!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Just watching him play, I don't think another year in juniors does a thing for him other than to check another year onto his age.
This. He torched the Q already the last two years. Maybe let him go away for the World Juniors, but even then, if he's good enough to stick in the top-6, then probably don't even want him going there. But I think it's mostly just take it day by day. You don't want him in the press box too often either. I would basically just ignore the ELC or UFA limits... if he's good enough to play 75% of the games, keep him. If he can't keep it up or starts getting edged out by the depth guys, fine, send him down - at whatever point in the season that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad