Tennis: Wimbledon 2022

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
HIgh drama on centre court as Murray, two sets down and 3-all in the third set, appeals to the crowd for hielp. All of a sudden its a soccer crowd. Have to turn the sound on for this one.

Poor Andy. John is first serving at 78% and winning 87% on first serve.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Davidovitch Fokina lost because he slammed a ball out of the court after having received a code violation earlier. Wow. He had a very civil conversation with the ump at the end and even shook his hand, but it was all his fault.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Alcaraz wins his match in straight sets, looking like he's been playing on grass all his life and loving it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Andy wins the third set breaker. Buckle your seats.

One of the odder match scores you will ever see: Basilashvili beats Halys 7-6. 0-6, 7-5, 7-6.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At two all in the 4th set, Andy misses an absolute lame duck shot about a foot from the net just sitting there saying "hit me"and then nets a nervous forehand on the next point to get broken, 3-2 Isner.

Serving magnificently, Isner closes it out for a terrific win in difficult circumstances.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Here's how ESPN's headline about that abomination of a tennis match yesterday: "Serena is out of Wimbledon, but it was an epic, incredible match against Harmony Tan." Alternate universe stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: aonb and Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Here's how ESPN's headline about that abomination of a tennis match yesterday: "Serena is out of Wimbledon, but it was an epic, incredible match against Harmony Tan." Alternate universe stuff.
If I were Serena I would be so embarrassed that they keep talking about that match as if it was great. It will be interesting to see if she plays the US Open and if she does, whether or not she plays singles before that to get in some kind of shape.

Reactions: Tuggy and kihei

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I don't understand how anyone that has watched or played tennis could think that was a great match. Harmony Tan looks like she's 40 and she's 24... she moves like a battleship and has horrible technical skills. She looks like a club player that somehow ended up on the big stage. That she dropped out of doubles an hour before the match speaks to how unprofessional and deconditioned she actually is... i hope she has a back up plan for a career choice.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I agree with your estimation of Tan, but I think the blame should be placed firmly on the media. They are so invested in happy endings, especially when it comes to the superstars, that they create false narratives because that is what they think the public wants and needs. Look at the fuss last year that was made over Roger losing his last set against Hurkacz at love. Roger was anything but traumatized by that, but several tennis outlets sure seemed to be. That's a reason a few give for why he must play Wimbledon again because his story can't possibly end on such a discordant note. These guys do a massive disservice to the game.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nick wins firs set against Krajinovic 6-2. Four service games, 16 points won, elapsed time per each service game--one minute..

Vamos Rafa

I own Voight
Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Has anyone else wondered what the chair umpire is actually for other than a being a glorified PA announcer? It’s not like he’s/she’s the one who makes calla on ins and outs.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rybakina raises her game beautifully to break Bianca at love for the first set 6-4. Dunno, hard to put my finger on it....Bianca looks as fit as she has ever been, but her aura of dominance seems no longer in existence.

Has anyone else wondered what the chair umpire is actually for other than a being a glorified PA announcer? It’s not like he’s/she’s the one who makes calla on ins and outs.
I would say his/her role is an adjudicator who makes sure everyone follows the rules and who resolves disputes. It's kind of like you never need one until you need one and then you really need one.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rybakina wins the second set breaker for a very well earned win against Andreescu. Great performance.

Andreescu's nerves don't seem like what they used to be. When things get close late in sets, she tends to tighten. And then a host of little technical things go askew: overhitting; footwork problems; follow-through problems; diminished racket head speed; plus, the further she moves laterally the less likely she willl hit a good shot.

If she stays healthy and plays a lot of matches, that might help lessen these tendencies and help her reconnect with the confidence that she once had.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yeah, I had the same reaction. Some of the worst tennis I've had the misfortune to watch.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nice comeback win from a set down for Pegula over Dart. I like Pegula. Rich girl with a blue collar game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Could obviously be wrong here, still young, but I get the feeling Raducanu is going to be a one hit wonder. At least as far as GS.
She lucked out at the U.S. Open and will never win another tournament of note. This is women's tennis so I feel very comfortable with that prediction.

At two all in the 4th set, Andy misses an absolute lame duck shot about a foot from the net just sitting there saying "hit me"and then nets a nervous forehand on the next point to get broken, 3-2 Isner.

Serving magnificently, Isner closes it out for a terrific win in difficult circumstances.
Isner actually played very well in this match. Great serving as usual but very nice volleys and touch at net.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Swiatek goes down 2-4 to Berkhove (who?)--the world briefly stops turning. Than, Iga wins the next four games to put to rest the faux suspense.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Liam Broady, yes, that Liam Broady, the one who has never cracked the the top 100 in nine years of trying, defeats #12 seed Diego Schwartzman in five sets. By light years the biggest win of Broady's life (his only other notable win against a good player in all those years came at the Olympics where he managed to beat Hurkacz).

Also, RBA withdraws due to a positive covid test.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Aboslute total shocker stunner: Kerkhove takes the second set from Swiatek, 6-4.

Had to look her up. She is from the Netherlands, never ranked higher than #135 and she is 30 years old. She is a total nobody, She's only ranked #58 in doubles for christsakes. She is a career ITF player, like minor league.

First couple of games are decidedly dicey but Iga takes the third set 6-3. Whew. That would bave been a Douglas/Tyson, Chaminade/Virginia level upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In a result that will surprise nobody, Shapo goes down in four sets. Only saw the first set but it was just more low tennis IQ st;uff from Denis. Somebody needs to get through to that guy, and the sooner the better.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Shapovalov and Andreescu both knocked out today. Canadian content is done.

Hopefully better days ahead for the hard court season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Denis needs a head shake. He could be going down a big decline of he doesn't make some quick changes to his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad