William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I love his skill set but his flaw kills us and causes changes of possession you simply can not disappear and run away and Babcock has thus far tried every thing to help change this.
You are using hyperbole to somehow make what happened to him after running into Chara a dozen times into the normal flaw in his game. Yes, he played scared in that series. No, it did not kill us. And it is definitely not how things have looked at any other point in his NHL career. He's been tentative and passive at times, but not more than that.

Except that's complete bull**** because he was one of our best players against Washington during last season's playoffs or are we pretending that didn't happen?
For some reason, people are. It's absurd how much people want to drive a narrative based on what happened in one playoff series.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marner played hard against every player in Boston and never avoids high traffic areas the two are not comparable in any way when discussing compete level and willingness to take a check to make a play..

U are correct, Marner has heart, he was knocked to the ice several times a game and didnt back down.

Nylander goes into the corner like he doesnt want to mess his hair up.

Most important time of the year he quit vs the Bruins because he hates contact.

Reactions: diceman934

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
2x $5M, and give him a list of stuff you want to see improved if he wants his 8-9M on his next deal.

Thats a decent idea. He needs 1 full season at center before big money. With the skills at Nylanders disposal, Kadri should not be getting more ice time. Its up to Nylander to reach his potential. His ceiling is far higher than Kadri's.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Though is paying a guy 6ish million really destroying his cap structure? It’s not as if folks are advocating he get 8+ million. It’s what’s in line with every reasonable salary/contract comparison.

I didn't necessarily say no to $6 million ish.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Though why sign him to a bridge deal at like 4 million vs say a 6x6 deal?

I mean it’s not as if the team really saves any money in that range, and even in the unlikely scenario he plateaus from his rookie season as a 60 point player, those guys are worth 6-6.5 mil anyways.

I just don’t see any advantage in bridging him unless his agent is demanding like 8 million AAV.

for me. it's simply just taking advantage of time
if the only argument is 'you'll pay more financially later." then I'd be like. okay - go do things so I can pay you later? it's yet another way to financially make the cap work for you in a three year span. (or 4, like i'd arrange it so you'd still have RFA years (though albeit with Arb Rights).

Everyone just wants to throw money at everyone. you don't need to.

2-4 years. moderate sum. go forth
4 years from now. pay the boy.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Nylander has a much higher compete level then Marner. Just because Marner jumps up and down after every play doesnt mean he tries hard.
Marner was soft as butter in the playoffs as that is what he does best. Sure he skates fast in a wreakless way, but that doesnt equal better compete, thats someone that isnt aware of the situation.
Babcock has tried a lot of things to get rid of the immature habits of this player, but sadly Marner simply isnt very smart and refuses to learn. Marner also was invisible in last years playoffs, where Nylander outplayed him.
Marner is butter soft and until this changes, we will be left with a flawed player.
Nylander works much harder and is more efficient as well. He is very good at reading the situation and knowing when to go at 100%. Nylander simply is much more effective then Marner.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You are using hyperbole to somehow make what happened to him after running into Chara a dozen times into the normal flaw in his game. Yes, he played scared in that series. No, it did not kill us. And it is definitely not how things have looked at any other point in his NHL career. He's been tentative and passive at times, but not more than that.

For some reason, people are. It's absurd how much people want to drive a narrative based on what happened in one playoff series.

Nylander personally offended some of the poster here by playing timid I guess.

In a game 7 despite being “afraid of his own shadow” he had 2 points, shouldn’t we be keeping players who despite having a bad game can still put up points?

Reactions: Menzinger and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nylander personally offended some of the poster here by playing timid I guess.

In a game 7 despite being “afraid of his own shadow” he had 2 points, shouldn’t we be keeping players who despite having a bad game can still put up points?

You would think so Walshy but apparently he's not tough enough and that means his points aren't worth as much and we need to pretend the Washington series never took place

If we bridge Nylander when we're in a prime position to sign him long term to a very team friendly cap hit i'm going to be seriously pissed off

He's an RFA with limited wiggle room, I seriously doubt we're going to get a better situation than this in 2-3 years time

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Except that's complete bull**** because he was one of our best players against Washington during last season's playoffs or are we pretending that didn't happen?

His major line-mate played struggled like **** and played even worse without Nylander on his wing so why Nylander is the one being singled out is beyond me and it's not exactly like the rest of this team loves contact either
Do you watch games with your eyes open or closed?

He is not being singled out it is a fact that he avoids high traffic areas against physical teams. He has ALWAYS did so and he did so against Washington last year. It is an issue.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
U are correct, Marner has heart, he was knocked to the ice several times a game and didnt back down.

Nylander goes into the corner like he doesnt want to mess his hair up.

Most important time of the year he quit vs the Bruins because he hates contact.
Yet his group of fans on here ignore it like it does not happen and attack me.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nylander has the worst compete level on this team. Nylander forechecking during the playoffs was embarassing. He was Leafs version of Kessel. He would slow down on purpose to avoid contact. Possession given away, no battle. I can only imagine how Hyman or Brown would view this from the bench. Two guys with heart who love the game and give themselves. I cant watch this play out and have his game negatively impact this team.

I give him the Kadri short term contract to change your ways or your out of town. Nylander doesnt have to play the body, Connor Brown is a great example of how to do it and not over power people in the corners or along the wall and get the puck back.

I feel its inevitable they trade him.
Quoted for truth.

People on here think he simply played bad. He never played as he was scared and failed to engage.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
i love how diceman thinks he knows what babcock will or will not do. or what kinda contract they will offer william.

fact is, you think you know, but you have no idea. no one of us knows what will happen because we are not sitting in the same room with william, his agent and the org when they are negotiating his deal.

and dubas said great things about him just a week ago. check it out, maybe it'll help you to understand what they think of him.

ah, i forgot: wanna bet if marner had another underwhelming playoff series, you wouldn't say a damn thing?
Stop stating my name in your posts...you either quote me and debate my opinion or leave my name out of your opinion as that is called flaming!

FYI I posted my opinion as that is what this whole forum is. I post my opinion with my reasons for my opinion....you should try it sometime.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yet his group of fans on here ignore it like it does not happen and attack me.

What's more likely? A conspiracy to make Nylander seem different than he is and attack you? Or maybe youre just being a little bit over the top by insulting Nylander?

Nah, your right. It must be everyone else. Clearly the objective facts are that Nylander deserves to be insulted.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Here’s the thing, Nylander was scared because he knew what kind of a team Boston was. Cheap shots to the head constantly, he didn’t want to risk getting concussion because of some fool on Boston taking liberties.
Yes Marner played hard and wasn’t afraid but that nearly cost him, at every chance they were trying to destroy him. If he was injured and got a concussion would you still have liked him to play hard like that? I would rather our surrounding players fly into the corners with a cheap team like Boston and not risk our elite players careers.
That’s why we need to add some big tough wingers that can actually play to isolate our elite 3.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What's more likely? A conspiracy to make Nylander seem different than he is and attack you? Or maybe youre just being a little bit over the top by insulting Nylander?

Nah, your right. It must be everyone else. Clearly the objective facts are that Nylander deserves to be insulted.

I am calling Nylander exactly what he is: a highly skilled player who avoids contact and has not shown that he is willing to do what it takes to help his team win. If that is an insult to him, I am fine with that!

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Why do folks think Nylander want a long term contract. IMO he signs a bridge hoping to a bigger contract later or a situation where he closer to free agency.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why do folks think Nylander want a long term contract. IMO he signs a bridge hoping to a bigger contract later or a situation where he closer to free agency.

Willy could have resigned last summer when Ehlers and Pastrnak from his draft class did, but he likely chose not to..

I'm purely speculating that the reason he didn't sign was because he was betting on himself this past season hoping for a big payday after a big year beside Auston all season. That seemed to have backfired as his totals did not improve so now perhaps you're right that he will only want a bridge contract to attempt to maximize his future earnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad