William Nylander - The execution meister.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Considering how much more valuable it is to be a C than a winger, the leafs organization should at least give Nylander at shot at being center for a bit.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
Yes, William Nylander demands a trade because Toronto won't let him play at C. How dare Evil Bobcat to force him playing on the wing! He is destroying his career!!111!!!

If that was the case, he would have asked for one the moment Babcock said he would play the wing for another season. But hey, he's still in Toronto. He wants to play hockey. I doubt he cares much at all.

Babcock wants to reward him for playing well and for competing hard, and he deserves this one chance. And even if he's not taking Bozie's spot on Wednesday night, man, I'm not mad because it does not really matter which position he plays as long as he is competing hard and is playing his best hockey.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Considering how much more valuable it is to be a C than a winger, the leafs organization should at least give Nylander at shot at being center for a bit.

or they wait until he signs as a winger then say "hey willy wanna play c?". he wont be able to negotiate as a C and then once signed he is a C. I could see this management team doing something like this

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes, William Nylander demands a trade because Toronto won't let him play at C. How dare Evil Bobcat to force him playing on the wing! He is destroying his career!!111!!!

If that was the case, he would have asked for one the moment Babcock said he would play the wing for another season. But hey, he's still in Toronto. He wants to play hockey. I doubt he cares much at all.

Babcock wants to reward him for playing well and for competing hard, and he deserves this one chance. And even if he's not taking Bozie's spot on Wednesday night, man, I'm not mad because it does not really matter which position he plays as long as he is competing hard and is playing his best hockey.

Stars can make demands. I am not saying right now but at some point with contracts coming up the argument will be made he is being held from his dominant position. There is a certain amount of pride and ego in athletes you hope. I hope he wants and demands his shot at his position. We should all hope he proves to be a 9m C and to the fan its moot. We want the best player Nylander can be. As we have seen apparently thus far that's worlds tournament MVP.

I am quite positive contract stipulations in the past have been made. Ice time guarantee's etc and this is pretty much common.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
There is 0% chance William Nylander is a winger. There is 0% chance he will be a winger here long term. He is a C and plays like a C. He also is better when playing C. The Nylander family has been around the block and won't get strong armed, his Dad knows a thing or two.
It's a bad attempt at fear mongering and you know that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's a bad attempt at fear mongering and you know that.

Those contract discussions are ongoing. Do you not think his agent isn't pushing for him to play C? Nylander said himself that Matthews takes up a lot of space out there. I wrote the exact thing here a week prior. You can find both, not suggesting anything other than its a fact Matthews, being a superstar is all over the ice dominating. That shrinks Nylanders time and space. You can read into that what you want but we all know Nylander given the chance chews up space as well, a lot of it.

I am confident Nylander will be a C and that no gimmicky holding players on wing will get in the way of a Worlds MVP. That, is just common sense.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Those contract discussions are ongoing. Do you not think his agent isn't pushing for him to play C? Nylander said himself that Matthews takes up a lot of space out there. I wrote the exact thing here a week prior. You can find both, not suggesting anything other than its a fact Matthews, being a superstar is all over the ice dominating. That shrinks Nylanders time and space. You can read into that what you want but we all know Nylander given the chance chews up space as well, a lot of it.

I am confident Nylander will be a C and that no gimmicky holding players on wing will get in the way of a Worlds MVP. That, is just common sense.
Great, and I'm confident your post about him demanding a trade was pretty trolling to get a rise.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Great, and I'm confident your post about him demanding a trade was pretty trolling to get a rise.

I said he is the kind of player that will play to his ability and not where some organization thinks they can stick him to save 2m a year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Jonas Siegel @jonassiegel
26s
Mike Babcock says he told William Nylander to be ready to play centre in the event that Bozak can't play vs. Calgary. Added: "Over time we'll just keep working in practice, Willy down low and stuff like that so when it's time he can just jump in and play centre."

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I said he is the kind of player that will play to his ability and not where some organization thinks they can stick him to save 2m a year.
I know exactly what you said, I have it quoted on the last page.

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
Stars can make demands.

I am quite positive contract stipulations in the past have been made. Ice time guarantee's etc and this is pretty much common.

. I wrote the exact thing here a week prior. ... You can read into that what you want but we all know Nylander given the chance chews up space as well, a lot of it.

Huge Leafs fan here....I've been lurking the forum for years but had to finally make an account to post, mostly because Willy is my favorite. I noticed that you have a serious tendency to make sure people know that you previously said things. It's kinda funny. Look back through your posts.

ANYWAY. I don't think you can stipulate ice time/position in a contract- I could very well be wrong but that seems absurd. It constrains the coach from actually running his team. What happens with injuries? What happens with hot streaks? What happens for specific matchups? What happens if the coaches change during the contract? The new one has to obey that stipulation? If I'm wrong, so be it, but that seems like a horrid thing for a GM to agree to.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Jonas Siegel @jonassiegel
26s
Mike Babcock says he told William Nylander to be ready to play centre in the event that Bozak can't play vs. Calgary. Added: "Over time we'll just keep working in practice, Willy down low and stuff like that so when it's time he can just jump in and play centre."

Looking like just a matter of “when” not “if” until he starts getting some usage down the middle in games.

Great news!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't understand what Babcock is doing with him. How is Nylander supposed to develop consistency and play out of his slump if he keeps getting jerked around with his linemates? Today he played on 3 different lines for f*** sake. Let him stay with Matthews, even Matthews is getting shut down without him because Brown and Hyman can not generate their own offense.

Reactions: Morrison and ToMaLe

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't understand what Babcock is doing with him. How is Nylander supposed to develop consistency and play out of his slump if he keeps getting jerked around with his linemates? Today he played on 3 different lines for **** sake. Let him stay with Matthews, even Matthews is getting shut down without him because Brown and Hyman can not generate their own offense.

It just highlights how good he is. We all know he is a great player but a C. Bozak at this point isn't even a valuable 3rd liner.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
By far best leaf skater last night. Good to see. He played on 3 different lines and each time he made that line the best line for the leafs. Not sure why he didn’t stick with Matthews perhaps babs thought willy is going so keep him away from monahan line no idea. Willy has been one of our best skaters in each of the last 4 or 5 games he is doing what he needs to. Babcock sees something else I guess

Reactions: ToMaLe

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Just wow.

needs to go in next shootout, but until that shot last night I don't think he has been that great in the shootouts. I can see why babcock was reluctant to use him but after last night he needs to be in first 3 shooters next shootout.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander is catching a lot of Flak from Babcock because of the same reason Leivo doesn't get more ICE. If you really focus on Nylander without the puck you quickly notice long stretches where he has piss poor body language. He will look lazy like he isn't holding his stick or ready to engage. I think Babcock is big on body language and the guys that look engaged (and probably are) become his favs. Even if that means just being in an aggressive stance when you don't have the puck.

I think Nylander could improve the coaches opinion of him by way of, acting pretty much. Though, there is also good reason to keep your stick on the ice and be ready to strike. If you look in position to shoot the puck, you actually are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad