Value of: William Nylander (Mod warning post 165)

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I wouldn’t trade him at all.

As much as it might hurt Kadri is the better play to move out and improve the D.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
He carried them both. At least Hyman fought for the puck.

Hyman has been better than Nylander this seasons as well.
Bro, no. In every way no. Like everything you said in that post is wrong and hilariously so. Hyman fought for the puck while Willy and Matthews made all of the plays. Willy skates with the puck and usually doesn't lose it which makes him dumping and chasing way less valuable than him skating into the zone with the puck and making a play. I don't know how you think this man wow. I'm sorry but wow.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Well someone's got to go, and I personally don't believe Zaitsev and Marleau will be moved.

I basically move whatever of Nylander, Johnsson, Kapanen and Kadri get me the best value. They're all expendable (in the sense that they can all be replaced - except maybe Kadri). Ideally I move Nylander for big value because he has a big contract and it would make the Leafs' cap look a lot nicer, but not 100% sure he has big value anymore.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
If he is what he was in his first 2 seasons, he's a 20 goal 60 point winger when played alongside a superstar C on a $7M contract. But he's been visibly less dynamic since his new contract, even if you exclude his first 2 months of play.

His last 10-15 have featured identical play to his play last year. He's finally showing the physical engagement and puck possession that made him successful previously.

If he is what he is over the past two seasons for the rest of his contract you're talking about a player with markedly above average rookie and sophomore seasons who entered his peak years without any shred of improvement production wise, which would be atypical.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
You may be too old to realize that there's a post history button, but you're very clearly an Oilers fan. You aren't fooling anyone.
Nope, I am a well known Leaf and Oiler's fan. Also, as you can see by my like/post ratio I am a very well respected member on these boards.

Reactions: zar and beh3moth

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
His last 10-15 have featured identical play to his play last year. He's finally showing the physical engagement and puck possession that made him successful previously.

If he is what he is over the past two seasons for the rest of his contract you're talking about a player with markedly above average rookie and sophomore seasons who entered his peak years without any shred of improvement production wise, which would be atypical.
Carried by Matthews. Cannot drive a line on his own, numbers show.

physical engagement
physical engagement
physical engagement
physical engagement
physical engagement
physical engagement
physical engagement

Never, has he shown any kind of physical engagement

Reactions: Coach Parker

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
It's pretty clear Nylander isn't being moved. His value will only grow as he develops, and furthermore as he moves to the middle of the ice. It's already happening at a more rapid pace then most on here anticipate.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
His wingers are Marleau and Brown and he doesn't get stable PP time.
You mean the Brown, who is a 20 goal scorer, who is missing the opportunity to shine like in his rookie season? Or the Brown, who - coupled with a late second round pick - is worth a 1st? Or the Brown, who would be great alongside McDavid for Edmonton?
Based on what I have learned from other TML poster on this board, Brown can't be the problem.

Reactions: draft day

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Personally, I'm on the OP's train as well.

Kadri & Brown ($6.6m) are still over a $1m more expensive than Nylander + Brown replacement (~$800k, totaling $7.75m)

If you trade Nylander. It's become pretty obvious this year, that for the most part, the Leafs have not missed the real William Nylander -- both when he was in a holdout, and in his current level of play.

If you trade say, Nylander & Brown, you're still left with the following very impressive forward group for next year:
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-_____
Moore-Gauthier-Petan

That amount of freed up cap space up front would likely give the Leafs the ability to go from 1 or 2 year deals on Kappy & Johnsson, to 3 or 4 year deals, and still leave enough space to bring on a defenceman like Brett Pesce, which they could easily do with Nylander on the table.

There's obviously a lot of doom & gloom about next year's cap for the Leafs, but I think if you subtract Gardiner, Nylander, Brown from this year's team, add Pesce, maybe a reclamation project RW (Jesse Puljujarvi?), and another year of development of Marner, Matthews, Johnsson, Kapanen and Dermott, I think that's a really solid foundation of a cup-contending team. Look to add a wayne simmonds-type around the deadline.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Personally, I'm on the OP's train as well.

Kadri & Brown ($6.6m) are still over a $1m more expensive than Nylander + Brown replacement (~$800k, totaling $7.75m)

If you trade Nylander. It's become pretty obvious this year, that for the most part, the Leafs have not missed the real William Nylander -- both when he was in a holdout, and in his current level of play.

If you trade say, Nylander & Brown, you're still left with the following very impressive forward group for next year:
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-_____
Moore-Gauthier-Petan

That amount of freed up cap space up front would likely give the Leafs the ability to go from 1 or 2 year deals on Kappy & Johnsson, to 3 or 4 year deals, and still leave enough space to bring on a defenceman like Brett Pesce, which they could easily do with Nylander on the table.

There's obviously a lot of doom & gloom about next year's cap for the Leafs, but I think if you subtract Gardiner, Nylander, Brown from this year's team, add Pesce, maybe a reclamation project RW (Jesse Puljujarvi?), and another year of development of Marner, Matthews, Johnsson, Kapanen and Dermott, I think that's a really solid foundation of a cup-contending team. Look to add a wayne simmonds-type around the deadline.

I disagree.
Nylander's current level of play (the last 3-4 weeks) have been better than Kadri at any point this season.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ideally they move Marleau to a team like Sens to be bought out after July 1 resign him. Hopefully that and moving Brown will give us the Cap flexibility we need.

Eugene Melnyk does not seem like the kind of owner to pay a bunch of cash to a player who will not play. Cash is king for an owner like that and this is more of a deep pocket team type maneuver. The so called "sweetner" would have to be pretty sweet I'd think for him to entertain that scenario. Good to recognize that not all teams are the same us.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
I'm still not sure how much positive value he has with that cap hit, especially with other teams being aware of how cap strapped they are.

Even if we give him a free pass for his first month to allow him to get back up to game speed, he'd still only have 4g 13p in 24gp.

Heck, if we gave him a pass for his first 2 months of play - he'd still only have 3g 7p in 13gp.

I think he's been playing better than some of those numbers suggest, but he's still not as dynamic as he was in his first 2 years.

I'd say he's worth a middle pairing defenseman or a 1st round pick. Unless you traded him for a similarly overpaid player, in which case you could probably get a top pairing D (Like an Ekblad).

Give me a break :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad