Value of: William Nylander (Mod warning post 165)

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'm still not sure how much positive value he has with that cap hit, especially with other teams being aware of how cap strapped they are.

Even if we give him a free pass for his first month to allow him to get back up to game speed, he'd still only have 4g 13p in 24gp.

Heck, if we gave him a pass for his first 2 months of play - he'd still only have 3g 7p in 13gp.

I think he's been playing better than some of those numbers suggest, but he's still not as dynamic as he was in his first 2 years.

I'd say he's worth a middle pairing defenseman or a 1st round pick. Unless you traded him for a similarly overpaid player, in which case you could probably get a top pairing D (Like an Ekblad).

What holds more weight for you? His first 163 games or the last 35 off a highly unusual, even novel, starting block?

And sorry but your 1st round pick valuation is just legitimately stupid man, come on. 22yo top 6 scorer for a non-descript 1st straight up? That deserves a Tropic Thunder reference.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What holds more weight for you? His first 163 games or the last 35 off a highly unusual, even novel, starting block?

And sorry but your 1st round pick valuation is just legitimately stupid man, come on. 22yo top 6 scorer for a non-descript 1st straight up? That deserves a Tropic Thunder reference.

If he is what he was in his first 2 seasons, he's a 20 goal 60 point winger when played alongside a superstar C on a $7M contract. But he's been visibly less dynamic since his new contract, even if you exclude his first 2 months of play.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Yet his production is very disappointing. If the Leafs retain salary he might be worth trading for.

lol not a chance they would retain. Makes no sense.

and the numbers will come with Nylander if he keeps playing the way he is.

I think people are pretty happy with how he's played the last 15-20 games Even if the stats aren't amazing.. 13 points in last 18 games... he's playing a great all around game and giving effort consistently which is a sign of growth in a skilled player.

Nylander will not be dealt this summer. He's a building block.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
He has picked it up the past 15 but needs to continue to grow. He may very well be the odd man out this summmer but I likely see Kadri, Brown and Zaitsev being targets to be moved. Unfortunate about Kadri because we need a players like him.

Ideally they move Marleau to a team like Sens to be bought out after July 1 resign him. Hopefully that and moving Brown will give us the Cap flexibility we need.

This idea really needs to die concerning Marleau getting bought out after July 1st and then re-signing with the Leafs for reasons that have already been discussed on HF numerous times.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Honest question...why hasn't it translated into points?

14 points in 26 games in 2019....a 44 point pace
in Feb/Mar 9 points in 16 games...a 46 point pace

His wingers are Marleau and Brown and he doesn't get stable PP time.

I don't get the point of the thread, most of us are very happy with how he's playing.

If he is what he was in his first 2 seasons, he's a 20 goal 60 point winger when played alongside a superstar C on a $7M contract. But he's been visibly less dynamic since his new contract, even if you exclude his first 2 months of play.

Yeah, nah you're wrong.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He has picked it up the past 15 but needs to continue to grow. He may very well be the odd man out this summmer but I likely see Kadri, Brown and Zaitsev being targets to be moved. Unfortunate about Kadri because we need a players like him.

Ideally they move Marleau to a team like Sens to be bought out after July 1 resign him. Hopefully that and moving Brown will give us the Cap flexibility we need.
I could be wrong but I don’t think Ottawa would want to pay for his bonus money. Plus he would would have to be bought out before he would get his bonus money.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Honest question...why hasn't it translated into points?

14 points in 26 games in 2019....a 44 point pace
in Feb/Mar 9 points in 16 games...a 46 point pace
He doesn't translate into points due to two main reasons.
1. Level of his wingers. Currently he's playing with an aged Marleau that's lost a lot of scoring touch as well as Connor Brown who's numbers have been going down since his rookie year.
2. Just pure bad luck. Last game he hit the post and almost got an assist. Ended up with 0 points. It's funny because Marner was almost the exact opposite. Last game I thought he was terrible. Bad passes and bad decisions everywhere. Still made a few good plays and some good backchecks. I thought Nylander >> Marner vs the Sabres. Marner had 3 points. Also doesn't help when Nylander gets just over 14 mins a night for NO reason.

Honestly. He's worth much, much, much more than his current scoring numbers suggest. His advanced statistics are among the best in the league for forwards as well. Honestly, I think his production is down due to the lack of a scorer on his line (with Kadri hurt) as well as having a slow start. He's been our best forward in 2019.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
So, back to the topic at hand. What does everyone think he could bring in from interested teams.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So, back to the topic at hand. What does everyone think he could bring in from interested teams.

1) He's not getting traded
2) No one else will want to take a risk on his low numbers so far, you're going to get 75 cents on the dollar offers

There's no scenario where this thread goes the way you want it to.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He doesn't translate into points due to two main reasons.
1. Level of his wingers. Currently he's playing with an aged Marleau that's lost a lot of scoring touch as well as Connor Brown who's numbers have been going down since his rookie year.
2. Just pure bad luck. Last game he hit the post and almost got an assist. Ended up with 0 points. It's funny because Marner was almost the exact opposite. Last game I thought he was terrible. Bad passes and bad decisions everywhere. Still made a few good plays and some good backchecks. I thought Nylander >> Marner vs the Sabres. Marner had 3 points. Also doesn't help when Nylander gets just over 14 mins a night for NO reason.

Honestly. He's worth much, much, much more than his current scoring numbers suggest. His advanced statistics are among the best in the league for forwards as well. Honestly, I think his production is down due to the lack of a scorer on his line (with Kadri hurt) as well as having a slow start. He's been our best forward in 2019.
Appreciate the feedback.

Anyone who DOES trade for WN, does so with the expectation that he is a 60ish point guy. I don't think a team trades for him and "overpays" because they think he can ge a 80 point guy. Just like I don't he is traded and "underpays" with the expectation that he is a sub 50 point guy, like he is this year.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
Personally I think Nylander was way overpaid, so don't see him having positive trade value anymore. I would not want any of the teams I hope to do well to sign him even for 7th rounder.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Almost negative with that Play, Contract and Softness. Not to mention his Playoff play, never seen someone so scared of contact.

Finally his attitude sucks, seems very greedy.

If Leafs can somehow 'con" another GM to take him for a 2nd this year without taking back salary, they should do it.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Okay leaf fans, would you rather just Nylander (6.96) or Kadri + Brown (6.6)? I think Dubas trades Kadri + Brown (hopefully Zaitsev+Brown) before he comes close to thinking about trading Willy.

He's our 5th or 6th best player on an elite offensive team and he carries his own line better than Kadri and Brown do together...

I get he has really really really high value and at 6.96 his contract will jut keep getting better but he can be a 1/2C on most teams and definitely a 1RW on almost all of them. Appreciate willy and what he brings because puck possession to him is like a professional soccer player playing keep away from a 6 year old.
Carries own line? Lolol. He was dragged around by Matthews last year and this year he is horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad