William Nylander Discussion: 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwaguy*

Nylander is a cerebral player so sometimes he'll wait for the puck to come to him because he knows where it's gonna come loose. I haven't seen much of any floating from him since Babs said he needs to skate harder after his 5th game.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Actually Nylander is sacrificing his good looks to go full thug. His whole body is being developed to become a top ten scorer in the NHL.

His legs are tree trunks, his upper body getting very developed. He is not going for the lean rake look for Hollywood tweets, this guy is slowly developing into a thuggish Ovechkin.

This is my call, and I am sticking with it. Just watch, this will be our best Swede ever.

Call of the decade.

This guy wants "it".

3 years from now Kadri will be speaking of how he is just as talented as Nylander just that Nylander is better at working out and has more discipline.

Oh and I agree.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
What happens next season, will you roll with three centers (Willie, Bozo, Naz), or trade one/two?

Or even better, imagine if you win the lottery (Matthews) AND sign Stamkos

That center depth will be unheard of.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Nylander is a cerebral player so sometimes he'll wait for the puck to come to him because he knows where it's gonna come loose. I haven't seen much of any floating from him since Babs said he needs to skate harder after his 5th game.

Here's the problem, he took two steps forward in his games against Calgary & Buffalo but he took one step back against Anaheim. That is unacceptable to Babcock.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I'm comfortable saying he has #1C potential. I'm also comfortable saying Rielly has #1D potential.

Pretty good spot to be in with Marner and a top 10 pick still coming through the pipe.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Here's the problem, he took two steps forward in his games against Calgary & Buffalo but he took one step back against Anaheim. That is unacceptable to Babcock.

I don't agree. I think his own game was the same, but Anaheim had the structure and the reach to eliminate room, so he couldn't do the same things.

The player with 4 points was near the bottom of that chart! Tells you everything you need to know about it's value :laugh:

Haha yeah. Just so many factors that is regressed to the mean with a large sample size that is hugely important in an individual game. Feels like those that push these only do it because it's nice to look at charts, because there's not much worth in the statistic itself.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I'm comfortable saying he has #1C potential. I'm also comfortable saying Rielly has #1D potential.

Pretty good spot to be in with Marner and a top 10 pick still coming through the pipe.

I feel certain that is a top 5 pick this year, despite our recent form. And yeah, I agree.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I don't agree. I think his own game was the same, but Anaheim had the structure and the reach to eliminate room, so he couldn't do the same things.

Haha yeah. Just so many factors that is regressed to the mean with a large sample size that is hugely important in an individual game. Feels like those that push these only do it because it's nice to look at charts, because there's not much worth in the statistic itself.

Lets hope not, I want him to take the challenge & generate speed & offence against the better teams & not just weak teams.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The player with 4 points was near the bottom of that chart! Tells you everything you need to know about it's value :laugh:

It's really annoying when people post charts like this without context, because it's guaranteed that people will misinterpret them and give advanced stats a bad name.

So some context:

a) While it appears the bar sizes adjust for ice time, they don't take into account the increased variance you'll find with low ice time and fewer samples. It's no coincidence that the guys at both extremes had little ice time.

b) Adding to a), one player in one game is a very small sample size. If you were to put error bars around each player's number they would be huge and immediately flag the whole chart as not statistically significant.

c) Adding to b), it's score-adjusted C+/-, which means data points when the game isn't close are weighted less. Effectively making the sample size even smaller than it already was, so while possibly more accurate, the error bars become even farther apart.

d) Zone starts. Bozak started 71% of his shifts in the offensive zone, Nylander 55%, and Kadri 43%. That is obviously going to have a significant effect on Corsi +/-. It would be alarming if Bozak didn't have a good Corsi +/- that game given the coach hardly ever had him on the ice in the defensive zone.

e) Quality of teammates/competition is not adjusted for.

Disappointed in this Sean Tierney guy for pushing these so hard.

Last edited:

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
That chart would tell you that Kadri had a terrible night. I wouldn't bother with it.

Yes one night is meaningless, but if you took these charts over multiple nights, they wouldn't be meaningless at all. Its all about predicting trends.

Aka if I eat poorly for one night, no biggie, nothing will happen. If I do that over and over again I will get fat.

If Willy has those nights over a whole season, he will not be successful. If Kadri has that night over a whole season, the 4 points that happened to come with it likely wouldn't happen very often.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I think it would be optimal to have Nylander on the 3rd line next year and let him work his way up. No need to put un-needed pressure on the young guys. Let the play under the radar and surprise us.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
How did he take a step back?

He went from generating offence & opportunities with his speed & shot, leading a line that seemed to be creating chances whenever on the ice & was given the 1st star in each of those games. In yesterdays game, he & his line watched the game & took more of a roll as passengers. The two previous games their line generated 12 shots, yesterday 1. That's a step back to me.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think it would be optimal to have Nylander on the 3rd line next year and let him work his way up. No need to put un-needed pressure on the young guys. Let the play under the radar and surprise us.

I disagree and think the opposite. Let Nylander play the 1st line C role next season and develop under that pressure. I think he is ready for it and will only thrive with a bigger role.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I disagree and think the opposite. Let Nylander play the 1st line C role next season and develop under that pressure. I think he is ready for it and will only thrive with a bigger role.

Tossing youngsters into the fire is not this management groups MO.

Next seasons third line: Marner/Nylander/Hyman

Book it.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It's really annoying when people post charts like this without context, because it's guaranteed that people will misinterpret them and give advanced stats a bad name.

So some context:

a) While it appears the bar sizes adjust for ice time, they don't take into account the increased variance you'll find with low ice time and fewer samples. It's no coincidence that the guys at both extremes had little ice time.

b) Adding to a), one player in one game is a very small sample size. If you were to put error bars around each player's number they would be huge and immediately flag the whole chart as not statistically significant.

c) Adding to b), it's score-adjusted C+/-, which means data points when the game isn't close are weighted less. Effectively making the sample size even smaller than it already was, so while possibly more accurate, the error bars become even farther apart.

d) Zone starts. Bozak started 71% of his shifts in the offensive zone, Nylander 55%, and Kadri 43%. That is obviously going to have a significant effect on Corsi +/-. It would be alarming if Bozak didn't have a good Corsi +/- that game given the coach hardly ever had him on the ice in the defensive zone.

e) Quality of teammates/competition is not adjusted for.

Disappointed in this Sean Tierney guy for pushing these so hard.

I keep reading on this board that zone starts have a minimal effect on Corsi .

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
He went from generating offence & opportunities with his speed & shot, leading a line that seemed to be creating chances whenever on the ice & was given the 1st star in each of those games. In yesterdays game, he & his line watched the game & took more of a roll as passengers. The two previous games their line generated 12 shots, yesterday 1. That's a step back to me.
you are right. From this point on, anything less than 3 pts a game is unacceptable. You are ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland