William Nylander Discussion: 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just piggybacking on this. Weird how the same player is "a diva" one year and "confident" the next :rolleyes:

Yep, it's why most analysis on prospers "character " are almost always wrong. People who have never even been in the same country as some of these kids will dismiss them as being a "diva" or having "attitude" because they read something on the Internet or because the prospect has a bit of confidence.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Mark Masters @markhmasters
Babcock plans to match Nylander against one of the top Ducks centres tomorrow ... believes William has proven he is ready for challenge

Maybe he's testing him against a premium shutdown center in Kesler?

I think it's a good thing to do. Let him know how tough things can be against a tight-checking feisty center.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Just piggybacking on this. Weird how the same player is "a diva" one year and "confident" the next :rolleyes:
First....Nylander was drafted in 2014. So it wasn't last year. And second that nonsense was dismissed the day of his draft after the interviews with Shanahan and company.

Plus it isn't diva = confident depending on the point of view. The diva was just bad scouting. People have to work on what information they can get and the fans have to trust the people getting out there to do the work since we're certainly not going to get the chance to interview people. It's the risk we have to take or else we can create an opinion on anything.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
The diva nonsense came from the Red Line Scouting Report, that if people looked at the entire report would've found out that the report was either a huge troll job and should've been ignored, or an amateur scouting report that should've lost all credibility by now, and the scouting agency should've been out of business by now.

.. but people took it seriously and it gave Nylander a lot of untrue criticism that was shot down by Shanahan and staff.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Its crazy how well he has played against good players and with the minutes he's getting. No sheltering, he's getting a big taste of the NHL and so far he's devouring it. I love it.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Just waiting for a rough patch and a few games without points, and the fans of Toronto will start to tear him to pieces, comparing him to Alexandre Daigle. ;)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just waiting for a rough patch and a few games without points, and the fans of Toronto will start to tear him to pieces, comparing him to Alexandre Daigle. ;)

It's coming. Cherry to light the grill and dish a helping of Canadian kid worship.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Maybe you missed his first few games ?

Fans have always been pretty generous with our top prospects from Brandon Convery, Jeff Ware, Fichaud , Schenn. He has a year or two before people sour on him.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I just re watched the highlights from the last 2 games and focused on nylander more. It's really crazy how he looks like he's just coasting but somehow ends up in the perfect spot to intercept a pass or be in a scoring area. Also I didn't know he had a clapper like that in his arsenal! I have never been this excited about a leafs prospect

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

I think this fanbase (at least on these forums) is past this point. I could see some idiots and trolls on facebook replying with that nonsense.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Actually Nylander is sacrificing his good looks to go full thug. His whole body is being developed to become a top ten scorer in the NHL.

His legs are tree trunks, his upper body getting very developed. He is not going for the lean rake look for Hollywood tweets, this guy is slowly developing into a thuggish Ovechkin.

This is my call, and I am sticking with it. Just watch, this will be our best Swede ever.

Call of the decade.

This guy wants "it".

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Doesn't pick up an assist on those 6 goals and his thread falls to the 2nd page.

Typical :sarcasm:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I know +/- isn't the be all and end all of stats but Nylander is a +1 along with his 7 points in 13 games. Pretty good so far. He's adapted quite well, a bit faster than I thought to be quite honest.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Actually Nylander is sacrificing his good looks to go full thug. His whole body is being developed to become a top ten scorer in the NHL.

His legs are tree trunks, his upper body getting very developed. He is not going for the lean rake look for Hollywood tweets, this guy is slowly developing into a thuggish Ovechkin.

This is my call, and I am sticking with it. Just watch, this will be our best Swede ever.

Call of the decade.

This guy wants "it".

He's not weak but he's still a young guy and doesn't have too much of a physical presence out there yet. He may not really need one given the style he plays.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I like watching him recover the puck.. It's all finesse, he's usually just reaching in with his stick. The defender doesn't even know he's there because he doesn't really play the body at all. But when he gets the puck, he's already got separation to skate away with it. It works well as a center, being the guy to help out in the corners.. I don't see him winning to many one on one board battles though. He's only winning as third man in.

Wouldn't want too many of our guys playing like this, but as long as he's effective with it, I won't complain.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
How did he do against Anaheim?

Only watched the first period.

-2 and no points doesn't look too good?

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I know, that's why I asked. :)

How is he away from the puck; engaged, or like Kane, just waiting/hoping for a turn-over?

I notice that Nylander cheats on defense a bit, I.E. when he sees the leaf defender engage he tries to take a few strides the other direction. It's not nearly as bad as Kessel where he is completely useless in the defensive zone, because he will engage if it is his responsibility to chase the player and he can strip the puck with his quick hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad