William Nylander Discussion: 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I keep reading on this board that zone starts have a minimal effect on Corsi .

Over a lot of games that's often the case, but it's because a gap of 71% - 43% almost never happens in aggregate.

Living close to a nuclear power plant doesn't have a significant effect on cancer rates, but you wouldn't infer from this that living near Chernobyl in 1986 didn't affect cancer rates.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I disagree and think the opposite. Let Nylander play the 1st line C role next season and develop under that pressure. I think he is ready for it and will only thrive with a bigger role.

#1C ? heh

you might not even see willi play C next year

just sayen

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
you are right. From this point on, anything less than 3 pts a game is unacceptable. You are ridiculous.

Who is being ridiculous? Did I ever say anything about producing points?

Generating offensive opportunities is kind of a big thing & expected from what is supposed to be your top offensive line. 12 shots in 2 games prior to last game 1 shot in last game.

You're the same guy that didn't agree with my comment,

You don't skip signing Stamkos hoping that Tavares becomes a free agent in 2 years.

If he does, sign both.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=115455703&postcount=73

Yea okay, I'm the ridiculous one.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Generating offensive opportunities is kind of a big thing & expected from what is supposed to be your top offensive line. 12 shots in 2 games prior to last game 1 shot in last game.

I have to ask, what is so ridiculous about the theory on inking both Stammer and Tavs?

I hope it's not some kind of "it's impossible, cap issues and the likes"

With a cap of only 56.8 million , the Pens had cros/malk at a combined 17.4 million cap hit.

Come the 2018/19 season we are probably looking at a 80 million cap , teams can afford and compete with a few highly paid players.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I have to ask, what is so ridiculous about the theory on inking both Stammer and Tavs?

With a cap of only 56.8 million , the Pens had cros/malk at a combined 17.4 million cap hit.

Come the 2018/19 season we are probably looking at a 80 million cap , teams can afford and compete with a few highly paid players.

I was the one that suggested that if both were available, we sign both. He seemed to think I was being goofy because of cap issues. You can check the link below.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He went from generating offence & opportunities with his speed & shot, leading a line that seemed to be creating chances whenever on the ice & was given the 1st star in each of those games. In yesterdays game, he & his line watched the game & took more of a roll as passengers. The two previous games their line generated 12 shots, yesterday 1. That's a step back to me.

he started off in the D-zone more than half the time against Anaheim...Babcock obviously gave him the harder match-ups. Plus the difference in talent between the Ducks to the Sabres/Flames (where he did get a ton more time in the offensive zone to start off) is massive. I don't see it as a step back, it was a learning experience that Babcock gave him...he wanted to see how he did defensively. This is a process ok like you can't really expect Nylander to go out and put up 2-3 points a game when Babcock is purposely putting him in situations that are tough and he wants too see how he does. I thought Nylander did pretty well. And he also had a breakaway in that game so yes he did create scoring opportunities.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
he started off in the D-zone more than half the time against Anaheim...Babcock obviously gave him the harder match-ups. Plus the difference in talent between the Ducks to the Sabres/Flames (where he did get a ton more time in the offensive zone to start off) is massive. I don't see it as a step back, it was a learning experience that Babcock gave him...he wanted to see how he did defensively. This is a process ok like you can't really expect Nylander to go out and put up 2-3 points a game when Babcock is purposely putting him in situations that are tough and he wants too see how he does. I thought Nylander did pretty well. And he also had a breakaway in that game so yes he did create scoring opportunities.

Did I ever say anything about expecting Nylander to get 2-3 points a game in my posts? Or even 1 for that manner?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Did I ever say anything about expecting Nylander to get 2-3 points a game in my posts? Or even 1 for that manner?

You clearly mentioned his lack of point production and said he took a step back..You said he put up 2-3 points up against the Flames and then said since he didn't get any scoring opportunities (which he did actually) or put up points he took a step back.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
You clearly mentioned his lack of point production and said he took a step back..You said he put up 2-3 points up against the Flames and then said since he didn't get any scoring opportunities (which he did actually) or put up points he took a step back.

Sort of like saying Sittler was never the same after his 10 point game....

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Are you frikkin hallucinating? Show me were I "clearly mentioned his lack of point production". Show me where I even mentioned points. I'm a big fan of Nylander & a big supporter of him, I have no doubt he'll have a long career for the Leafs. But I'm not so blinded with love that I start imagining what people are posting.

Good thing Babcock sees things the way they are & won't hesitate to nip things in the bud.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I'd say the Pens haven't looked like contenders in years. One of their biggest issues has been depth - something that's hard to have when you have a huge amount of capspace invested in a small group of players.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'd say the Pens haven't looked like contenders in years. One of their biggest issues has been depth - something that's hard to have when you have a huge amount of capspace invested in a small group of players.

Most of their problem was not drafting worth a **** outside of those high picks. They basically did the same thing Chicago did, but never got their own versions of the Hjarm/Buff/Seabrook/Shaw/Bolland type guys. All they got was Tyler Kennedy and Max Talbot.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

You are being ridiculous, thinking that a 19 year old rookie isn't gonna have to go through a learning process, and have some games where he's less effective then the one prior. Through his development he will take 5 steps forward, 2 back, 8 forward, 1 back, 2 forward, 3 back, 10 forward, deal with it. It's completely acceptable.

And I don't think I'm being ridiculous for thinking that a team with a prime nylander, prime marner, prime Reilly, prime 2016 first round pick, and a declining stamkos, declining Tavares may have cap issues. I'm just being realistic.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Ah ,you do realize they made the finals and also won the cup under those conditions i listed

and the cap has gone up by 14 million since then

but find your scape goats where ya can

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Didnt put up any point tonight but neither did his counterparts...

59% in the faceoff circle vs Bergeron & Krejci is not bad for a 19yo.

I thought Babs would be sheltering him against the big boys but that hasnt been the case the last couple of games.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
You are being ridiculous, thinking that a 19 year old rookie isn't gonna have to go through a learning process, and have some games where he's less effective then the one prior. Through his development he will take 5 steps forward, 2 back, 8 forward, 1 back, 2 forward, 3 back, 10 forward, deal with it. It's completely acceptable.

And I don't think I'm being ridiculous for thinking that a team with a prime nylander, prime marner, prime Reilly, prime 2016 first round pick, and a declining stamkos, declining Tavares may have cap issues. I'm just being realistic.

The lack of comprehension from some individuals on here is mind boggling.

Did I ever say a 19 year old wouldn't go through periods that he is less effective or that it wasn't a learning process?

No.

What did I say?

Here's the problem, he took two steps forward in his games against Calgary & Buffalo but he took one step back against Anaheim. That is unacceptable to Babcock.

You said,

Through his development he will take 5 steps forward, 2 back, 8 forward, 1 back, 2 forward, 3 back, 10 forward, deal with it. It's completely acceptable.

The difference is, you said it's completely acceptable & I said it isn't acceptable to Babcock.

Today when Babcock was asked,

What did you see from the Nylander line vs. Anaheim?

Babcock's response was,

"If you don't play without [the puck], you don't have it... I think any time you have a real good game then the next game is the measuring stick, not the last one. What have you done for me lately? And that's the way the League is."

I'm right, you're wrong.

Regarding Leafs signing both Stamkos & Tavares as free agents if they are available. I guarantee, they will make every attempt. Shanahan went after the best coach & maybe the best GM. He'll go after the best young free agents that meet their rebuild timeline. Shanahan hits homeruns.

Nylander, Marner & the 2016 draft pick have played a combined 14 games in the NHL but you're concerned of how they could be cap issues & you want to disregard two of the premier NHL forwards who are only turning 26 this year. You way over value unproven talent & undervalue proven young talent.

To disregard these two 1990 born superstar players, that will cost zero assets, because of your perceived cap concerns isn't only ridiculous it's insane.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
The lack of comprehension from some individuals on here is mind boggling.

Did I ever say a 19 year old wouldn't go through periods that he is less effective or that it wasn't a learning process?

No.

What did I say?

You said,

The difference is, you said it's completely acceptable & I said it isn't acceptable to Babcock.

Today when Babcock was asked,

What did you see from the Nylander line vs. Anaheim?

Babcock's response was,

"If you don't play without [the puck], you don't have it... I think any time you have a real good game then the next game is the measuring stick, not the last one. What have you done for me lately? And that's the way the League is."

I'm right, you're wrong.

Regarding Leafs signing both Stamkos & Tavares as free agents if they are available. I guarantee, they will make every attempt. Shanahan went after the best coach & maybe the best GM. He'll go after the best young free agents that meet their rebuild timeline. Shanahan hits homeruns.

Nylander, Marner & the 2016 draft pick have played a combined 14 games in the NHL but you're concerned of how they could be cap issues & you want to disregard two of the premier NHL forwards who are only turning 26 this year. You way over value unproven talent & undervalue proven young talent.

To disregard these two 1990 born superstar players, that will cost zero assets, because of your perceived cap concerns isn't only ridiculous it's insane.

Nylander didn't get benched so Babcock must be accepting it to some extent.

stamkos and Tavares are in there prime right now. There are currently how many leafs in there prime? How are these free agents that meet our rebuild timeline?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander was getting defensive zone starts and was showing Babcock he can be trusted to win face offs.

Regarding Tavares - won't he actually be 28 once he hits free agency? I'd be more inclined to ink Stankos since his next contract will take him to 33 years of age.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Didnt put up any point tonight but neither did his counterparts...

59% in the faceoff circle vs Bergeron & Krejci is not bad for a 19yo.

I thought Babs would be sheltering him against the big boys but that hasnt been the case the last couple of games.

59% versus Bergeron and krejci is rediculous for most players never mind a 19 year old.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Okay so let me get this straight... Babcock said that nylander isn't playing up to his capabilities, isn't giving 100% effort. And that this is unacceptable?

Or did you say all that? And you just know that's how Babcock feels cuz ur tight like that.

It was my interpretation of Nylander's play & my knowledge of Babcock's character as a bench boss. Which isn't some well kept secret & is the reason Shanahan & Yzerman sought him out as a coach.

My Quotes on Friday, following the Thursday Anaheim game

Here's the problem, he took two steps forward in his games against Calgary & Buffalo but he took one step back against Anaheim. That is unacceptable to Babcock.

He went from generating offence & opportunities with his speed & shot, leading a line that seemed to be creating chances whenever on the ice & was given the 1st star in each of those games. In yesterdays game (Anaheim game), he & his line watched the game & took more of a roll as passengers. The two previous games their line generated 12 shots, yesterday 1. That's a step back to me.

Nylander's Quote on Saturday morning

"I didn't create too many scoring chances that game (Anaheim game) so I think that is something that I want to improve today."

Babcock's Quote on Saturday morning regarding Nylander's line

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Starting to give Bluelines a run for his money. Wow.

Well, just wait till Babs puts him on the wing when he has 4 healthy NHL matured Cs.

How many folks will blindly not hear the coach comment on how he proffers to do that with his young Cs,

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Well, just wait till Babs puts him on the wing when he has 4 healthy NHL matured Cs.

How many folks will blindly not hear the coach comment on how he proffers to do that with his young Cs,

Seeing as Nylander already is winning more then he lose on the draws, is playing solid defence as a center and is also producing offensively I dont see why he would move him to the wing. If anything he will pressure Nylander with more center tasks and let him learn that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad