William Nylander Discussion: 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Been saying it since the WJC two years where Willie was the second best player behind McDavid, that Willie will be the best player in his draft class. Most of my friends laughed at me bc of Akblad and others....but I always believe Willie will be the best.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Been saying it since the WJC two years where Willie was the second best player behind McDavid, that Willie will be the best player in his draft class. Most of my friends laughed at me bc of Akblad and others....but I always believe Willie will be the best.

I think Willie will be top 3 for sure. Nothing has shown he will dethrone Ekblad though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Love Ekblad but let's not put him up on a pedestal quite yet. He's still just getting #2/3 minutes, doesn't play on the PK, and has been relatively sheltered in terms of zone starts.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Mark Masters @markhmasters
Babcock plans to match Nylander against one of the top Ducks centres tomorrow ... believes William has proven he is ready for challenge

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Babcock plans to match Nylander against one of the top Ducks centres tomorrow ... believes William has proven he is ready for challenge
This is great. Dats stammer Getz, now that's development.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia

Should stop some ridiculous proposals saying that Nylander will play wing next season.

And yeah, great for him, he should be in for a real battle, but I think that he will show use some magic ;)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It's good to keep challenging him. No matter how the game turns out, he'll have a lot to learn from the game. The kind of guys he's very much going to have to match up against throughout his career.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

He doesn't really have a choice does he?

It's either play against one there top two c's or have his mins reduced

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
He doesn't really have a choice does he?

It's either play against one there top two c's or have his mins reduced

Besides, we're the home team and thus have the last change, so I'm sure Babcock will be able to get him a couple of good matchups while still giving him Getzlaf/Kesler as an assignment.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
So that means Kadri gets shifted to a more depth scoring role.

hmmmmm.... I wonder what happened last time he was playing as a depth scorer. Oh yeah :) good times.

And then we can add Marner, and hopefully Stamkos and Matthews into the mix as well.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Babcock on matching Nylander v a top ANA line tomorrow: "He knows what he's getting into... He really believes he's ready for it & I do too"

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Babcock on matching Nylander v a top ANA line tomorrow: "He knows what he's getting into... He really believes he's ready for it & I do too"

And he has the confidence of the coach!
#moxie

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
The confidence in this kid is great. You can really tell he thinks he can do anything. I love it and think this kind of confidence will let him develop as much as he can.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Hoping for a solid, defensive game if he's lining up against Getzlaf or Kesler. I'm not expecting any points. But playing against players like that should tell you a little more about the type of player we have.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Even though he wasn't dominating to start, he was still very unlucky in not getting deserved points his first 10gms.....but now the puckluck is coming AND he's getting comfortable enough out there to start having fun. This kid is awesome - no reason for posters to keep their expectations in check. Enjoy yourselves.

Well said. Almost the exact same trajectory as when he started in the AHL. The future looks bright. Tbh, he looks even better up here than he did in the A.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
^ "Give him tougher match ups" = "Less opportunity to score, more of a chance his line gives up goals"

Brilliant tank move :sarcasm:

But seriously this will give Nylander a taste of what he'll have to develop into.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well said. Almost the exact same trajectory as when he started in the AHL. The future looks bright. Tbh, he looks even better up here than he did in the A.

He didn't belong in the AHL. He knew it. Leafs knew it.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Guy was playing in a league that was as good as the AHL, then has to spend 1.7 years in the AHL? Anyways, we have a nice product now,very well oiled. He is our best player by quite a margin.

Almost a shame he has to go down to the AHL and fight it out down there for a Calder. Boy, I know that is going to get a reaction.

Guy has had a concussion might be best to give him a pass and just let him work out and have a pretty decent, NHL summer.

Best player, playing, not saying he is better than JVR.

Last edited:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
And yeah, lou isn't happy about not finishing last, so look for some interesting tank stunts. This is my opinion of course, but I am sure they want a shot at Laine or Matthews.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-Augello/Leafs-Logjam-Of-Second-Line-Centers/120/75761

The Leafs currently have three centers that fit well in second or third line roles in William Nylander, Tyler Bozak and Nazem Kadri. If Toronto adds Stamkos and/or Matthews, Nylander has the versatility to move to the wing, but the organization has made it a point to play the 19-year-old exclusively up the middle in a scoring role with the Toronto Marlies and during his NHL stint.

If the Leafs sign Stamkos to what is expected to be one of the highest salaries in the NHL, Kadri and Bozak cannot play the wing and their contract status becomes a factor to them remaining in Toronto.

Bozak has another two years remaining at $4.2 Million per season, is adept at taking faceoffs and on special teams. Kadri has improved on draws but is still less than 50% and has just 12 goals in a year where he has played primarily on the top line and the first power play.

Kadri is also a restricted free agent this summer and with two years before being eligible for unrestricted free agency, the 25-year-old is expected to be looking for a long-term contract extension that would exceed $5 Million per season.

While Lamoriello and the Leafs have the middle ground of club-elected salary arbitration to get another year out of Kadri, the want to play Nylander at center and the price certainty and fit of Bozak in a depth/checking role would appear to appear to be better fits structurally and financially, which means that Kadri is the most likely of the pair to not be on the roster next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad