William Karlsson Vs William Nylander

Who do you take going forward if they both signed 7X7 extensions this summer?

• William K.

• William N.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Karlsson obviously had a better season, but one hit wonders are still a thing in the NHL. Karlsson still only has a career .48 points per game, which averages out to about 39 points in a full season. There's every chance that Karlsson ends up better obviously, but there's too much risk there to be eager about moving Nylander for him

How can you compare a guy's points playing a defensive bottom six role and a guy playing tough matchups 1C.

I'm actually stunned not everyone thinks this guy is for real. Oh well.

Reactions: DRW204

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm risking that he turns back into a 6-9g man, like he's always been.
So...as a GM, you would give a guy 7x7 after one season? I know someone on who that happened.
In fact he's a Golden Knight right now: David Clarkson.
If you watch him play you'd know he's not gonna revert back to a 6 goal man. This is absurd.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How can you compare a guy's points playing a defensive bottom six role and a guy playing tough matchups 1C.

I'm actually stunned not everyone thinks this guy is for real. Oh well.
it's not that I think he's likely to regress, it's that I'm not really sure what he'll do. I don't think it's a reach to say he might not be as good as he was this year

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Nylander is a winger in the NHL until he proves otherwise. The style he played in the playoffs leads me to believe he will never be a centerman in the NHL unless he changes that drastically.

It is ridiculous to have William Karlsson beat Nylander in one pole and not Ehlers in the other. I personally prefer Nylander to Ehlers in general but they are extremly comparable players.

I agree with the sentiment that Karlsson likely wont repeat his 40 goals however if he is scoring 30 playing the hard two way game as a centerman then he is the superior player. I just dont see how Nylander and Ehlers will be as valuable players unless they are scoring in the 75 to 80 point range.

I disagree with the second sentence, because I think Nylander has a lot more to offer. He's a guy who works hard and can develop to be a better player than he is today.

But accepting your reasoning for what it is, the rest of this post is bang on. If Nylander does remain as a winger and Karlsson is a #1C putting up 30g, then he's in elite company and Nylander on the W has nowhere near that kind of value.

Nylander has a long way to go to be the kind of player that Karlsson was this year, but Karlsson is very, very unlikely to repeat his performance this year. How much Nylander can improve, and how far Karlsson will retreat to his average will determine who is the best. It's a real crap shoot today.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
leafs fans "Nylander is way better than Karlsson" (Karlsson gets traded to the leafs for nylander). Leafs fans again "Hahaha, we robbed vegas in that trade".

Reactions: dukeofjive

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Nylander (drafted 4 years ago) 135pts in 185 games
Karlsson (drafted 7 years ago) 128pts in 265 games

but of course the leaf will lose the poll. karlsson was a nobody until he was almost 25

I like how you make it sound like it's absurd that Karlsson could win this poll. Karlsson has spent one season in the top 6.. and he blew away everyone's expectations.

I have no issues with anyone taking either player. I think if you want a goal scorer, you take Karlsson. Otherwise, Nylander is excellent as well.

But of course some Leafs fans will act like everyone else is stupid for not taking their guy. That's you, my friend.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I like how you make it sound like it's absurd that Karlsson could win this poll. Karlsson has spent one season in the top 6.. and he blew away everyone's expectations.

I have no issues with anyone taking either player. I think if you want a goal scorer, you take Karlsson. Otherwise, Nylander is excellent as well.

But of course some Leafs fans will act like everyone else is stupid for not taking their guy. That's you, my friend.

go check the thread where ehlers is handily beating karlsson. how do you explain a guy that had 1 less pt than willy (and an awful goalless playoffs) beating Karlsson?

and yeah, a dude who had 6 goals last year, 9 the year before, but a crazily unsustainable 23.4% sh% this year being called a goal scorer is kinda stupid. That's you, my friend.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
go check the thread where ehlers is handily beating karlsson. how do you explain a guy that had 1 less pt than willy (and an awful goalless playoffs) beating Karlsson?

and yeah, a dude who had 6 goals last year, 9 the year before, but a crazily unsustainable 23.4% sh% this year being called a goal scorer is kinda stupid. That's you, my friend.
I don't think this is going to get addressed at all. Shows how stupid the main boards here are

Reactions: Yamazaki

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs fans "Nylander is way better than Karlsson" (Karlsson gets traded to the leafs for nylander). Leafs fans again "Hahaha, we robbed vegas in that trade".

I'd be very disappointed if the leafs trade Nylander for any Karlsson not named Erik.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Karlsson easily, Nylander is the blandest 60 point player since Parenteau. He'd have to radically change his game and personality to be anywhere as effective as Karlsson is all over the ice.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Karlsson easily, Nylander is the blandest 60 point player since Parenteau. He'd have to radically change his game and personality to be anywhere as effective as Karlsson is all over the ice.

you mean the guy who only had 1 60pt season and didnt do it until he was 29?

good comparable SMH!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Funny coming from the team that signed Clarkson to that contract and defended it :laugh: I'm surprised it's as close as it is, Karlsson is far superior but leafs have a large fanbase, good thing everyother fanbase has sense.

Who defended it? If you want to go to the old board, I was in favour of retaining MacArthur, over him.
How about reality. Karlsson has never done it before-I don't see why people don't want consistency?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Nylander has a long way to go to be the kind of player that Karlsson was this year, but Karlsson is very, very unlikely to repeat his performance this year. How much Nylander can improve, and how far Karlsson will retreat to his average will determine who is the best. It's a real crap shoot today.

QFT. This is the reality.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010

Castle8130 "hahaha in my imagination I made up a scenario where Leaf fans look dumb, hahaha Laff fans XD"

Reactions: Kelly

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Karlsson is 25, so we can expect minimal improvement (if any) from him going forward, and I would also expect his production to regress to ~20 goals, 50-60 points. As a 22 year old, Nylander is still in the early part of the developmental curve, and I'd expect him to improve over the next couple of years. Based on that, I'd rather have Nylander, given the same contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad