William Karlsson Vs William Nylander

Who do you take going forward if they both signed 7X7 extensions this summer?

• William K.

• William N.

Results are only viewable after voting.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I will take the goal scorer rather quite easily, he also has more grit then Nylander.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Nylander's been better for a longer period of time. You can't seriously rather give 7x7 to someone who's had 1 good year with unsustainable metrics.

I will take the goal scorer rather quite easily, he also has more grit then Nylander.
I mean Chad LaRose has more grit than both of them so imo he should be getting this contract.

At the end of the day when deciding who gets 7 million I personally take a good hard look at grit

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
William Karlsson would be my choice

_______

In the other matter,i think Vegas should offer William Karlsson two different contract's

1) bridge, 2 x range of 2,5-3,0
2) longer, 5-6 x range of 5,5-6,0

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Good poll. Nylander is obviously the safer choice here... but his defensive awareness, checking, and tenacity are really not yet in the same stratosphere as what Karlsson has shown this season and even more so in the playoffs. Playoff Bill absolutely came out of nowhere it's truly insane. He's been a flat out two way stud and is a playing like a legit 1C on a division and conference winner. The numbers are likely at least somewhat of an illusion but like others have said, he isn't a guy throwing pucks on net from everywhere, he has very good shot selection and anticipation of where to be to score what often looks like an easy goal. But then you see goals like his between the legs goal or his playoff OT snipe and you see that he has some legit goal scoring skill too.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Are some Leafs fans in here nuts? If you could trade Nylander straight up for Karlsson after what he's shown this year you wouldn't?

Ehlers would be on a plane already if it was up to me lol

Reactions: bert

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Nylander's been better for a longer period of time. You can't seriously rather give 7x7 to someone who's had 1 good year with unsustainable metrics.

I mean Chad LaRose has more grit than both of them so imo he should be getting this contract.

At the end of the day when deciding who gets 7 million I personally take a good hard look at grit

leafs fans........

It was a comparison between the specific 2 players, nothing more. he does have more grit, he is bigger and a 40 goal scorer,

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Never done it, or anywhere close before?
Nylander is a natural center.

Nylander is a winger in the NHL until he proves otherwise. The style he played in the playoffs leads me to believe he will never be a centerman in the NHL unless he changes that drastically.

It is ridiculous to have William Karlsson beat Nylander in one pole and not Ehlers in the other. I personally prefer Nylander to Ehlers in general but they are extremly comparable players.

I agree with the sentiment that Karlsson likely wont repeat his 40 goals however if he is scoring 30 playing the hard two way game as a centerman then he is the superior player. I just dont see how Nylander and Ehlers will be as valuable players unless they are scoring in the 75 to 80 point range.

Reactions: Flair Hay

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
A 21 year old who has had a back to back 61 point season as a rookie and sophomore vs a guy who broke out massively but whose career before that didn't even add up to a single season of the rookie/sophomore.

The thing is YOU KNOW Nylander is good for 60+points; can we trust Karlsson season to be repeated here? The guy went from 6 goals/25 points to 43 goals/78 points. He was even mediocre in his AHL stints. There is a lot of uncertainty with him.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Are some Leafs fans in here nuts? If you could trade Nylander straight up for Karlsson after what he's shown this year you wouldn't?

I'm risking that he turns back into a 6-9g man, like he's always been.
So...as a GM, you would give a guy 7x7 after one season? I know someone on who that happened.
In fact he's a Golden Knight right now: David Clarkson.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
A 21 year old who has had a back to back 61 point season as a rookie and sophomore vs a guy who broke out massively but whose career before that didn't even add up to a single season of the rookie/sophomore.

The thing is YOU KNOW Nylander is good for 60+points; can we trust Karlsson season to be repeated here? The guy went from 6 goals/25 points to 43 goals/78 points. He was even mediocre in his AHL stints. There is a lot of uncertainty with him.
Totally fair point. but i think the question of the thread is who do you take going forward. Karlsson going forward will be the top line of VGK not back in a defensive bottom 6 and strictly PK role with scrubs in CBJ. I don't think he will pot 40 again, but i dont think 30-30 with good all around play is out of the questions. time will tell.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Totally fair point. but i think the question of the thread is who do you take going forward. Karlsson going forward will be the top line of VGK not back in a defensive bottom 6 and strictly PK role with scrubs in CBJ. I don't think he will pot 40 again, but i dont think 30-30 with good all around play is out of the questions. time will tell.

No, the question is: Are you going to give WKarlsson 7x7 or Nylander? Nothing has shown Karlsson can do this again.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm risking that he turns back into a 6-9g man, like he's always been.
So...as a GM, you would give a guy 7x7 after one season? I know someone on who that happened.
In fact he's a Golden Knight right now: David Clarkson.

David Clarkson was not a first line center on a team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Just because Dave Nonis made a shitty signing 10 years ago does not mean this guy is a fluke. He is not a year to year 40 goal scorer. But if he is a 60 point two way center on a good team? that's well worth 7 mil these days.

Guys like Nylander and Ehlers are awesome and will always be big time producers. But they aren't difference makers come playoff time. Yet. Karlsson already is that.

Are people still under the impression this Vegas season is a fluke?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No, the question is: Are you going to give WKarlsson 7x7 or Nylander? Nothing has shown Karlsson can do this again.

And nothing has shown Nylander will ever do anything in the playoffs, Karlsson is currently doing things Nylander never has, yeah I'll take that.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Incorrect, many have said Nylander, I'm surprised it's as close as it is.
A lot of David Clarkson signers here.

Funny coming from the team that signed Clarkson to that contract and defended it :laugh: I'm surprised it's as close as it is, Karlsson is far superior but leafs have a large fanbase, good thing everyother fanbase has sense.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Incorrect, many have said Nylander, I'm surprised it's as close as it is.
A lot of David Clarkson signers here.
Clarkson is a lot more similar to Beleskey than he ever would be to a guy who put up nearly a PPG over an entire season and carried that same production into the playoffs. I don't think we're dealing with a Johnathan Cheechoo situation here where Karlsson has a prime Thornton feeding him tap ins all season. If that's the case then Marchessault should be making McDavid levels of money.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Karlsson obviously had a better season, but one hit wonders are still a thing in the NHL. Karlsson still only has a career .48 points per game, which averages out to about 39 points in a full season. There's every chance that Karlsson ends up better obviously, but there's too much risk there to be eager about moving Nylander for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad