• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Attempting to leverage an injury is just more reason for him to test the market. But hey, we'll be the only team looking to upgrade our goaltending. No worries :help:
My god. JUst because they haven’t announced doesn’t mean they haven’t talked. The market is set for this player. Talbot. darling. It’s set. $4.2 M. 3 years. How far do u think they are apart? U think Raanta is asking $6+ for 8 years and if he is do u think that Chayka went oh yeah we can bridge that gap. Honest to god. Panic city outrage.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not panicked. I just think we're going to pay more than we would otherwise because we naively put ourselves over the barrel by handing all the leverage to a player agent.
Or we'll misplay our hand, and he'll sign elsewhere.

Saying, yeah, but he might get injured to prop up the way we've mishandled it is ridiculous.

Reactions: Murf

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not panicked. I just think we're going to pay more than we would otherwise because we naively put ourselves over the barrel by handing all the leverage to a player agent.

Where? Will Isles have cap space/salary after they extend Tavares at $10M+ without finding a home For Griess and his $3.3M deal? Are the hurricanes buying out Darling or they planning to spend $10M on goalies next year? Are the Flames walking away from mike Smith? Think Raanta is rushing to play in Buffalo who have possibkybthe worst D in the league? Whom I missing?

Not every negotiation involving holding a gun to the agents head or leveraging the player until he submits. Az has a history of paying for performance and that will mean the contract starts with a 4 instead of their desired 3. That’s okay.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Garbage like Lucic/Eriksson/Okposo got 6M few years ago, OEL is vastly superior to those guys and will still be in his prime when his next contract starts.
He's better than Shatt, and again will sign his contract few years later.
Why compare OEL to the worst contracts in the league?? What does that say??

He's not better than shattenkirk. Shattenkirk has a higher career points per game while playing a similar role to OEL to their respective teams.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Where? Will Isles have cap space/salary after they extend Tavares at $10M+ without finding a home For Griess and his $3.3M deal? Are the hurricanes buying out Darling or they planning to spend $10M on goalies next year? Are the Flames walking away from mike Smith? Think Raanta is rushing to play in Buffalo who have possibkybthe worst D in the league? Whom I missing?

Not every negotiation involving holding a gun to the agents head or leveraging the player until he submits. Az has a history of paying for performance and that will mean the contract starts with a 4 instead of their desired 3. That’s okay.
Just something to think about, but why wouldn't the canes do that?
They have tons of cap space. None of their players are elite in the way of making 10 million a year so no concerns down the pipleline.

Raanta would certainly not play in Buffalo IMO but its just one more leverage chip. Sabres have 51 points, Coyotes have 50. Lets not talk as if the Sabres are leaps and bounds less desirable than the Coyotes.

What about the Senators who are in desperate need of a goalie?

What about the Red wings who certainly need a better answer than Jimmy Howard?

St Louis doesn't look thrilled with Jake Allen.

I'm not saying that any of these are knocking on Raantas door, I'm just trying to say that Arizona isn't the only game in town like you're painting it out to be.

Reactions: _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Not every negotiation involving holding a gun to the agents head or leveraging the player until he submits.
What part of closing a deal before the deadline or moving on is putting a gun to the agent's head? It's just good sense. We don't have to the power to leverage this player until he submits! That's the entire point of closing a deal before he leverages his ability to walk and leave us embarassingly empty handed into a bad deal (see Smith, Mike).
Also ironic that you're concerned about optics to agents after you've pretended we're the only game in town or leveraging a late season injury would be a positive for the Coyotes moving forward.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My god. JUst because they haven’t announced doesn’t mean they haven’t talked. The market is set for this player. Talbot. darling. It’s set. $4.2 M. 3 years. How far do u think they are apart? U think Raanta is asking $6+ for 8 years and if he is do u think that Chayka went oh yeah we can bridge that gap. Honest to god. Panic city outrage.
People around here tend to think Raanta and Chyaka are strangers, like they have never talked.

Saying, yeah, but he might get injured to prop up the way we've mishandled it is ridiculous.
I think you are panicked more than anyone.

Del thinks all NHL teams are waiting to jump on Raanta and sign him as their starter.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Why compare OEL to the worst contracts in the league?? What does that say??

He's not better than shattenkirk. Shattenkirk has a higher career points per game while playing a similar role to OEL to their respective teams.
Yeah why not Seth Jones as a comparable? Or Parayko?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Del thinks all NHL teams are waiting to jump on Raanta and sign him as their starter.
If you really thought we are the only possible landing place, or only people that will offer him money, then you'd have traded him anyway. Why not get assets and then sign him? But noone actually believes that; you're just inventing more dumb justifications for putting ourselves behind the eight ball.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just something to think about, but why wouldn't the canes do that?
They have tons of cap space. None of their players are elite in the way of making 10 million a year so no concerns down the pipleline.

Raanta would certainly not play in Buffalo IMO but its just one more leverage chip. Sabres have 51 points, Coyotes have 50. Lets not talk as if the Sabres are leaps and bounds less desirable than the Coyotes.

What about the Senators who are in desperate need of a goalie?

What about the Red wings who certainly need a better answer than Jimmy Howard?

St Louis doesn't look thrilled with Jake Allen.

I'm not saying that any of these are knocking on Raantas door, I'm just trying to say that Arizona isn't the only game in town like you're painting it out to be.
We’re not. I’m not discounting that but the market is pretty set and Raanta has a very good d corps playing in front of him; certainly better than the likes of the Sabres, Senators, Isles, and Red Wings. He has a known good situation here and the only person who has spoken to his agent about an extension (and knows roughly on the $/term required) is Chayka. If it means we have to pay higher than the Talbot deal we are worrying about a couple hundred thousand.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What part of closing a deal before the deadline or moving on is putting a gun to the agent's head? It's just good sense. We don't have to the power to leverage this player until he submits! That's the entire point of closing a deal before he leverages his ability to walk and leave us embarassingly empty handed into a bad deal (see Smith, Mike).
Also ironic that you're concerned about optics to agents after you've pretended we're the only game in town or leveraging a late season injury would be a positive for the Coyotes moving forward.
Chayka knows where negotiations are at. He knows the ask. He knows the market. If we can figure this out ourselves it’s not lost on a person who’s actual job depends upon knowing that information. They are not strangers who r having a first conversation on June 30th.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If you really thought we are the only possible landing place, or only people that will offer him money, then you'd have traded him anyway. Why not get assets and then sign him? But noone actually believes that; you're just inventing more dumb justifications for putting ourselves behind the eight ball.
It’s not that AZ is the only possible landing place. Some of not most are worse situations or involve an organization moving salary or buying out other players. Possible yes; especially in the summer.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Chayka knows where negotiations are at. He knows the ask. He knows the market. If we can figure this out ourselves it’s not lost on a person who’s actual job depends upon knowing that information. They are not strangers who r having a first conversation on June 30th.
The issue isn't what everyone knows now, It's what some stupid GM could jump the gun with on an offer as free agency approaches. If they are both on the same page there is no reason that risk factor could not have been removed with an agreement before the deadline.

Reactions: _Del_

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The issue isn't what everyone knows now, It's what some stupid GM could jump the gun with on an offer as free agency approaches. If they are both on the same page there is no reason that risk factor could not have been removed with an agreement before the deadline.
Sign him before July 1 before other teams are allowed to chat. If agent is being reasonable with his ask (and all indications are he is) there’s no reason this won’t be done sooner rather than later. We have 4 months of exclusivity. It won’t take that long when u and I could agree on what the market comparable are in about 10 mins. This isn’t a complex negotiation. I don’t understand why everyone feels this is the Joe Thornton rookie contract here.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Exactly. If we're so close that a deal is inevitable, we should have closed the deal pre-deadline. If it is a reasonable ask, we shoud be done already.
Everyday closer to presigning window of free agency, is one less reason to sign before looking at what's in the mystery boxes first. And there's a chance that it isn't favourable to us. That increases pressure to make a bad deal over no deal before hand, and at the same time also leaves us open to potentially losing him if we don't buckle.
That's why it was a mistake regardless of how it plays out.

Everyone actually knows this. I'm not sure why we're determinedly pretending it's not true in this thread.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
There isn't an agent on the planet that would have let Raanta sign before the deadline given the injuries and low workload. The thought that we had to have it done before then means you give them what they ask, which means paying what it is some of you are afraid we'll get held up for now (with less of a justification for it). We specifically targeted Raanta in the summer and everyone knows it. To then trade him after half a season because we're afraid to let him prove his worth for a couple months sends the worst message we could to rest of a locker room that likes him and is comfortable with him behind them. It's naive to think the players don't notice things like this. Maybe we lose some leverage by waiting a little on Raanta and but it could help a bit when the Kellers and OELs of this team need re-signing.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Please tell me again how the lowest number Raanta would be willing to sign on has gone down in the last week, because I'm not seeing your genius logic wherein the agent wants him to wait until after the trade deadline and approaching free agency before lowering his offer...

I think you're right that other agents are paying attention though. Hurray.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sign him before July 1 before other teams are allowed to chat. If agent is being reasonable with his ask (and all indications are he is) there’s no reason this won’t be done sooner rather than later. We have 4 months of exclusivity. It won’t take that long when u and I could agree on what the market comparable are in about 10 mins. This isn’t a complex negotiation. I don’t understand why everyone feels this is the Joe Thornton rookie contract here.
July 1st is not really meaningful, Raanta's agent knows now who is interested and what tgey are thinking. July 1st is just the "Official" signing date.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
One point of interest: Raanta, OEL, and Hammer all have the same agent.

I didn't know that. Maybe it's taking so long because this is a 3 for 1 negotiation. Wouldn't be too far fetched to assume they are going to announce all three extensions around the same time. That would be pretty cool actually. Some major stability to an organization where it's nonexistent.

Reactions: Sthlmyote
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad