Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm thinking 8x8 for OEL.
That may be what he gets, but I hate these long termed contracts as they always get a team in cap trouble. It wasn't long ago where many of you ------- and moaned how bad OEL has played the last two years, and some wanted him traded, now you are willing to give him the keys to the city.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That may be what he gets, but I hate these long termed contracts as they always get a team in cap trouble. It wasn't long ago where many of you ------- and moaned how bad OEL has played the last two years, and some wanted him traded, now you are willing to give him the keys to the city.
We have to keep our best player and most important position player at 1D and still young. The salary structure in the NHL underpays ELC's by a lot, RFA's by some amount and then makes up for it by over paying UFA's. The trick is pay Kane/Doughty/Kopitar/McDavid, but don't pay market for the mid range guys like Lucic. You make your bed with clearly top end players, and only when they become or are close to UFA, but nobody else.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I know I'm just commentating on what I believe where Chayka's head is at.

Personally, I don't know where my walk away number/term would be. I'm not even sold that we shouldn't deal OEL if we can get a premium return. That being said, how many times are we going to kick the can down the road.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes. Hedman averaged 42 points, the 2 years before he signed his 8 year contract extension at 7.85 mill. OEL had a 55 point season 2 years ago and 39 last year. Call it low 40 point average even though he has been injured, his mom died and the Coyotes started the season 0-20 versus the great teammates Hedman has in TB. OEL is also a much better player then Shatty, and I think he will get way more money, he gets 8+ and term. It won't be 7 or less.

If Hedman got 7.85 mill and an 8 year extension 2 years ago, OEL will get that at least this summer. Its 2 years later (inflation), OEL has comparable stats to when Hedman signed his contract.
Last year Burns got 8M x 8, Subban got 9M four years ago,Hedman 7.9M this year. If we are being honest, OEL does not deserve more than any of these players. My guess is he gets a lot of money and a long term deal. :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know I'm just commentating on what I believe where Chayka's head is at.

Personally, I don't know where my walk away number/term would be. I'm not even sold that we shouldn't deal OEL if we can get a premium return. That being said, how many times are we going to kick the can down the road.
I think many of us feel the same way. Earlier this year when we were losing, many posters here wanted OEL traded, now just the opposite. I believe we have to keep him, but like you, when do you say no.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't remember many posters wanting OEL gone. I doubt he returns enough talent to justify trading him. We need to add top tier players, not trade the only one we have. Unless as HBK said, he doesn't sign an extension. Then you have to trade him and sooner rather than later. No use in waiting until next year's deadline.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't remember many posters wanting OEL gone. I doubt he returns enough talent to justify trading him. We need to add top tier players, not trade the only one we have. Unless as HBK said, he doesn't sign an extension. Then you have to trade him and sooner rather than later. No use in waiting until next year's deadline.
If he's going to get traded it will be at draft. Need to have lottery order resolved to see who's in the bidding/see what assets we are targeting.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If I'm GM and win the draft lottery, OEL signs for under $7 long term or I trade him for a bundle of assets. We will always be a budget team and every over payment leaves less for other positions.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If I'm GM and win the draft lottery, OEL signs for under $7 long term or I trade him for a bundle of assets. We will always be a budget team and every over payment leaves less for other positions.
I know there's various opinions on RNH but think of the tire fire that EDM is and has been.

We need to walk out of this summer with an upgrade at C. RNH is the highest upside asset out there that is likely available imo and I'd entertain a non lottery winning EDM first (pick in that 5-10 range as the starting point on a deal with OEL (assuming he won't re-sign).

We will likely draft 2-5 and assuming this would be the case I could envision us walking out of the draft with RNH, Tkachuk, and say Bouchard.

I'm not discounting other pieces included (like conditional picks if OEL extends) but I'm just tossing this out there as a starting point.

It will depend on what you feel about RNH.

Again. I haven't had my coffee yet.

Reactions: Grimes

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I know there's various opinions on RNH but think of the tire fire that EDM is and has been.

We need to walk out of this summer with an upgrade at C. RNH is the highest upside asset out there that is likely available imo and I'd entertain a non lottery winning EDM first (pick in that 5-10 range as the starting point on a deal with OEL (assuming he won't re-sign).

We will likely draft 2-5 and assuming this would be the case I could envision us walking out of the draft with RNH, Tkachuk, and say Bouchard.

I'm not discounting other pieces included (like conditional picks if OEL extends) but I'm just tossing this out there as a starting point.

It will depend on what you feel about RNH.

Again. I haven't had my coffee yet.
I have always like RNH and think he has grown a lot to be a good 2nd line centers who coukd do some time as 1st. I don't think the Oilers woukd do it but something around OEL, RNH, and Bear woukd be highly attractive to me.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I have always like RNH and think he has grown a lot to be a good 2nd line centers who coukd do some time as 1st. I don't think the Oilers woukd do it but something around OEL, RNH, and Bear woukd be highly attractive to me.
I don't think EDM has a choice but to overpay. They can't successfully win him as a UFA. I asked Oiler fans on their trade board on their pitch and they came back with "we were really good last year". That's it. They would need the year to woo OEL while doing a roster turnover that makes our rebuild look like child's play. If we are a tractor fire their roster is a raging inferno of shit plus McDavid and Draisaitl.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't think EDM has a choice but to overpay. They can't successfully win him as a UFA. I asked Oiler fans on their trade board on their pitch and they came back with "we were really good last year". That's it. They would need the year to woo OEL while doing a roster turnover that makes our rebuild look like child's play. If we are a tractor fire their roster is a raging inferno of **** plus McDavid and Draisaitl.
It would be one of those rare trades where both teams win, I think OEL offensively would flourish in Edmonton and I think RNH would allow Coyotes to have some strength down the middle, Bear gives Coyotes defence for the future. Not sure Oilers would give up Bear though??? But it is Chiarelli!!!!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree with over paying but you can't under pay a player like OEL. I think he and Raanta both sign long term deals.:thumbu:

Reactions: Heldig and hbk

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I agree with over paying but you can't under pay a player like OEL. I think he and Raanta both sign long term deals.:thumbu:
$7 million is far from under paying. We simply don't know what he is right now but he has not shown himself to be top level of nhl D , why should we pay him like it?? He has been bottom half of 1st line D.

Reactions: Lilhoody

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
$7 million is far from under paying. We simply don't know what he is right now but he has not shown himself to be top level of nhl D , why should we pay him like it?? He has been bottom half of 1st line D.
OEL will make $7M next year as a salary. I think you guys are low.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
OEL will make $7M next year as a salary. I think you guys are low.
Since you are 2nd guy to write me on it, my original post should have read around $7 million rather than under $7 million. Somewhere in that range give or take a couple hundred K .

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The last couple games I have watched OEL was looking a lot more like his 2015 self. I don't want to trade that version - true top 15 #1D in the league.

The D is actually very strong. Now add Dahlin too 0)

Reactions: Jakey53 and hbk

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The last couple games I have watched OEL was looking a lot more like his 2015 self. I don't want to trade that version - true top 15 #1D in the league.

The D is actually very strong. Now add Dahlin too 0)
I wrote before that I saw a change in a game against Winnipeg last month. Jumping into play, more physical, confident. Hopefully he is past what was ailing him mentally and physically??

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I wrote before that I saw a change in a game against Winnipeg last month. Jumping into play, more physical, confident. Hopefully he is past what was ailing him mentally and physically??

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Unless as HBK said, he doesn't sign an extension. Then you have to trade him and sooner rather than later. No use in waiting until next year's deadline.

Nah, everyone knows you have more leverage for an extension after the deadline. We'll get a better deal. Because April weather or something.

Reactions: Murf

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Nah, everyone knows you have more leverage for an extension after the deadline. We'll get a better deal. Because April weather or something.
If Raanta goes down to injury again (3rd or 4th time) it hurts his bargaining position. Raanta has been on a good run during home stand. Let's see if it continues. He's been better than expected at times but he's still hasn't played 50 games in a season.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm going to guess between 8.25 and 9 aav over 8 years. If I had to guess I'd say 8 years 68 mil.

edit: for OEL. With the OEL talk I lost track of which thread. I can see 4 x 4 for Raanta.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If Raanta goes down to injury again (3rd or 4th time) it hurts his bargaining position. Raanta has been on a good run during home stand. Let's see if it continues. He's been better than expected at times but he's still hasn't played 50 games in a season.
Attempting to leverage an injury is just more reason for him to test the market. But hey, we'll be the only team looking to upgrade our goaltending. No worries :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad