Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
OEL gets nowhere near the 8-9 million range as you guys are talking about. -30 something this year, -20 something last year. Around 40 points last year and on pace for 40 points again this year.

Does that strike you as someone who should be making more than Victor Hedman ??

7 is the absolute most he gets. Kind of like shattenkirk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
OEL gets nowhere near the 8-9 million range as you guys are talking about. -30 something this year, -20 something last year. Around 40 points last year and on pace for 40 points again this year.

U do realize that he has all the leverage in this "negotiation" and AZ has to overspend just to make cap floor in upcoming years. If OEL comes in at an unreasonable number Chayka and co. are just going to say "sold". Disagree with it. Be upset about it. But that's what's going to happen. Other contracts don't matter. This is what is a what it going to take negotiation. That's it. Expect an overpay.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

With the cap going up many GM's get all giddy and spend money foolishly. I would find it hard to believe that many GM's would look at OEL's +/- when thinking of value. +/- is really a dumb stat anyways.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
U do realize that he has all the leverage in this "negotiation" and AZ has to overspend just to make cap floor in upcoming years. If OEL comes in at an unreasonable number Chayka and co. are just going to say "sold". Disagree with it. Be upset about it. But that's what's going to happen. Other contracts don't matter. This is what is a what it going to take negotiation. That's it. Expect an overpay.
I hope we don't overpay, for anyone. Those kind of signings always comes back and bites you in the a--.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hope we don't overpay, for anyone. Those kind of signings always comes back and bites you in the a--.
It's going to bite us. I don't disagree. I don't even think I support it but all signs point to an extension. The only thing that might save Chayka from this path is if OEL refuses to talk extension but given the leverage and the reality that he'd likely have to take signicantly less cash to play elsewhere I don't know how his agent will let him pass up this payday.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It would be a pretty big failure by Chayka if Raanta walks after trading for him just this season (and paying a significant price).

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And misreading his intentions at the deadline.

And all that pressure to not fail spectacularly is why we're probably going to end up overpaying him and paying more than if we'd made an attempt at signing him earlier.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And I'd love to be a player agent with some of you at the helm...

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Yes. Hedman averaged 42 points, the 2 years before he signed his 8 year contract extension at 7.85 mill. OEL had a 55 point season 2 years ago and 39 last year. Call it low 40 point average even though he has been injured, his mom died and the Coyotes started the season 0-20 versus the great teammates Hedman has in TB. OEL is also a much better player then Shatty, and I think he will get way more money, he gets 8+ and term. It won't be 7 or less.

If Hedman got 7.85 mill and an 8 year extension 2 years ago, OEL will get that at least this summer. Its 2 years later (inflation), OEL has comparable stats to when Hedman signed his contract.

Reactions: Mosby

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Perhaps I'm allowing this winning streak to color my glasses rose... But I want to believe that the Yotes and Raanta will come to an agreement that suits them both and both sides go home happy. I'll keep hoping!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It seems to me that there won't be that many openings in the league for a #1 goalie where the team doesn't want only an established starter. I think that for this contract cycle Raanta will look at the opportunity to be the unchallanged #1 here in Arizona as a powerful reason to resign with us.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Its possible from that standpoint. But why operate under the principle of "we need to reach the cap floor so lets give him whatever he wants"

Lets get back to Raanta too.... Is he unbelievable or what? Are you guys ready to believe he's not signing for 4 million?? He has fantastic poise.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
If Hedman got 7.85 mill and an 8 year extension 2 years ago, OEL will get that at least this summer. Its 2 years later (inflation), OEL has comparable stats to when Hedman signed his contract.

Ok Fine... I can agree on this.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It would be a pretty big failure by Chayka if Raanta walks after trading for him just this season (and paying a significant price).
Not to mention his great play recently will help him in free agency while f***ing up our draft position. But that happens every year. Nothing new. Coyotes 101: Start playing well when there's no pressure to win anything.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yes. Hedman averaged 42 points, the 2 years before he signed his 8 year contract extension at 7.85 mill. OEL had a 55 point season 2 years ago and 39 last year. Call it low 40 point average even though he has been injured, his mom died and the Coyotes started the season 0-20 versus the great teammates Hedman has in TB. OEL is also a much better player then Shatty, and I think he will get way more money, he gets 8+ and term. It won't be 7 or less.

I'm thinking 8x8 for OEL.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Its possible from that standpoint. But why operate under the principle of "we need to reach the cap floor so lets give him whatever he wants"

Lets get back to Raanta too.... Is he unbelievable or what? Are you guys ready to believe he's not signing for 4 million?? He has fantastic poise.
I think you are missing the point. We have set things up so we don't have to worry about our budget if we need to overpay to retain OEL or Raanta. That was good contract management by the front office.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Garbage like Lucic/Eriksson/Okposo got 6M few years ago, OEL is vastly superior to those guys and will still be in his prime when his next contract starts.
He's better than Shatt, and again will sign his contract few years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad