Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Please tell me again how the lowest number Raanta would be willing to sign on has gone down in the last week, because I'm not seeing your genius logic wherein the agent wants him to wait until after the trade deadline and approaching free agency before lowering his offer...

I think you're right that other agents are paying attention though. Hurray.
Because when you try and strong arm a guy you just traded for into taking a lesser contract then they (and any other player you piss off by doing so) will strong arm you back.

Most likely both sides know roughly where the other stands and believe something can be done and that's why Raanta wasn't moved. Maybe Raanta plays so well the rest of the year his ego inflates and he decides to price himself out of our range and we lose him for nothing. But if we move every player, before every contract, based on that fear then we'll be at the bottom of the standings for eternity. With all the negative baggage surrounding this team, we have to take calculated risks if we are to ever improve, and we have to do right by the players if we want anyone to have any desire to play here under the current circumstances.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Most likely both sides know roughly where the other stands and believe something can be done and that's why Raanta wasn't moved.

So again, the natural question is why hasn't it gotten done., and why didn't they just do it before the deadline.Nothing about trying to conclude a contract agreement is strong arming. That's asinine.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
You're light on Hjarmalsson for sure. Maybe the other two, as well.

Agreed about Hammer and maybe Rantaa.

5mx3yr for Hammer
4.5mx4yr for Rantaa is probably closer to market. I think Rantaa can be signed for 4m, but 4.5 is fine if it has to happen. Lower term and higher $ for Hammer is judt fine by me.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, that Hammer deal is difficult to figure out for sure.

But remember he'll be 32 when the extension kicks in. He's making $4 mil now (real dollars). Will a team really put much more than the above $5/yr on the board?

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
So again, the natural question is why hasn't it gotten done., and why didn't they just do it before the deadline.Nothing about trying to conclude a contract agreement is strong arming. That's asinine.
Raanta spent the first half of the season injured or playing behind a team whose collective head was up its ass. Finishing out the season staying healthy, playing well and behind a team that currently looks like it has figured things out for 40 games instead of 20 puts him on better ground come negotiations. It's just the smart move on his part, assuming he actually believes himself to be a number 1 goaltender.

No, trying to conclude a contract agreement is not strong arming. Saying, 'even though you want it, we don't want to give you the extra time to show your worth now that you're healthy and the team is playing well so sign this lesser contract now or get out' is strong arming. There is a time and place for that tactic in this business, this sure as hell isn't it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Just something to think about, but why wouldn't the canes do that?
They have tons of cap space. None of their players are elite in the way of making 10 million a year so no concerns down the pipleline.

Raanta would certainly not play in Buffalo IMO but its just one more leverage chip. Sabres have 51 points, Coyotes have 50. Lets not talk as if the Sabres are leaps and bounds less desirable than the Coyotes.

What about the Senators who are in desperate need of a goalie?

What about the Red wings who certainly need a better answer than Jimmy Howard?

St Louis doesn't look thrilled with Jake Allen.

I'm not saying that any of these are knocking on Raantas door, I'm just trying to say that Arizona isn't the only game in town like you're painting it out to be.
AZ isn't his only option but one of a few options. Would Darling/Talbot get the same money now? I doubt it. They were both like Raanta is now, an unproven starter that has looked good (2 months for Raanta). Teams will be afraid to take the risk and over pay for a goalie . We have the most secure starting goalie position to give to Raanta. If we pay market value, we will get him, 2 by 4mill/3 by 3.5 mill/4 by 3 mill.

Reactions: Kaizen

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You either believe he's a #1 and pay him or you cut bait and move on. The smart time to make that decision is before the deadline.

If you think trying to come to an agreement before the deadline is somehow less appealing to Raanta than telling him "we don't believe in you; you need to prove it", you are actually off your rocker.

If Chayka hadn't made up his mind on whether to keep Raanta or not by the deadline, he is an even bigger failure.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You either believe he's a #1 and pay him or you cut bait and move on. The smart time to make that decision is before the deadline.

If you think trying to come to an agreement before the deadline is somehow less appealing to Raanta than telling him "we don't believe in you; you need to prove it", you are actually off your rocker.

If Chayka hadn't made up his mind on whether to keep Raanta or not by the deadline, he is an even bigger failure.
Maybe Chayka wants more time to evaluate Raanta and see if he can play well for more then 2 months. The NHL is filled with goalies that played well in spurts or parts of a season like Raanta. I had rather see validation in Raanta's play the rest of the year and have to pay more to keep him versus "hoping" he can be consitent as a starter. I like Raanta and think we will sign him but I can see Chayka being smart and cautious here.

Reactions: Kyle003p

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Maybe the final two months nets Raanta an extra 250-500K per year on his contract. A possible extra 1 or 2 million over 4 years could be worth the wait for him.
Maybe Chayka wants to wait to nail down a final number after he has his (limited) budget for next year from Barroway.
Maybe Raanta, like many other players, wants to wait til after the season for the heavy part of contract talks and just focus on hockey right now.
Negotiating a number 1 goalies contract is easier done with 50 games under your belt than 30.

Reactions: cobra427

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The NHL is filled with goalies that played well in spurts or parts of a season like Raanta
If Chayka thinks that, he should've dealt him.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Yeah why not Seth Jones as a comparable? Or Parayko?
Oh you mean two players coming out of their ELC Deals? You mean those guys?

Seth Jones will be 27 or 28 coming out of that contract

OEL will be 27 coming out of his contract.

Compare apples to apples here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe Chayka wants more time to evaluate Raanta and see if he can play well for more then 2 months. The NHL is filled with goalies that played well in spurts or parts of a season like Raanta. I had rather see validation in Raanta's play the rest of the year and have to pay more to keep him versus "hoping" he can be consitent as a starter. I like Raanta and think we will sign him but I can see Chayka being smart and cautious here.
Chayka knows where he stands with Raanta and vice versa. We all are speculating here but I think/hope they both want Raanta to concentrate on hockey and they will put the stamp on his contract once the year is done.

Maybe the final two months nets Raanta an extra 250-500K per year on his contract. A possible extra 1 or 2 million over 4 years could be worth the wait for him.
Maybe Chayka wants to wait to nail down a final number after he has his (limited) budget for next year from Barroway.
Maybe Raanta, like many other players, wants to wait til after the season for the heavy part of contract talks and just focus on hockey right now.
Negotiating a number 1 goalies contract is easier done with 50 games under your belt than 30.
Like I just mentioned we are all speculating, but I believe they have an agreed upon contract in principle in place but want Raanta to concentrate on hockey like you said.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Oh you mean two players coming out of their ELC Deals? You mean those guys?

Seth Jones will be 27 or 28 coming out of that contract

OEL will be 27 coming out of his contract.

Compare apples to apples here.
It's actually a better comparison as the chance of OEL actually getting better during a 7 or 8 years contract is very slim while the chance of those two doing it are much greater.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Teams will be afraid to take the risk and over pay for a goalie . We have the most secure starting goalie position to give to Raanta. If we pay market value, we will get him, 2 by 4mill/3 by 3.5 mill/4 by 3 mill.
Is that really market value for a starter? I feel like you're applying "you get to start, therefore take less" logic when reality is just the opposite: "I'm going to play 55-60 games, so where's the rest of my paycheck?"

Edit: nvm, 20 goalies in the $2m to $4m tier, stunned by that.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If it was me 8 years at 8. Chayka. I think he goes 8 x 9.5.
If that's the number we can point right at it when we can't improve the lineup. No way is that reward deserved by a team with a hard internal Cap. The player has not shown that value.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If it was me 8 years at 8. Chayka. I think he goes 8 x 9.5.
That would be stupid for a perennial cap floor team with limited funds. Does that mean the rest of the roster is waiver fodder? They would not be able to sign anyone else of value. I am not a fan of big money long term contracts. How many of those end up being regrettable after the first few years (once the player is in his 30's)? I reckon 50% anyway. If it is going to be a crazy high number (over 8 million) then I hope they can agree on a shorter term contract. Say 5 yrs x 8 million. Takes him through his prime years. If the team is actually good in those years he can sign another contract to take him through the end of his career.

Reactions: BigDoaner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad