Will the Maple Leafs even have interest in Steven Stamkos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
When Stamkos was Kucherov's age, he had a Rocket Richard in the bank and was good for 50 goals a year and a PPG.

Fast-forward to now, same team, same situation: Last 155 NHL games: Stamkos - 70 goals, 127 points. Kucherov - 59 goals, 127 points.

Amazing how much a broken leg and the absence of an elite playmaker can make.

Stamkos is not the player he used to be.

When Ovechkin was Stamkos' age, he had back to back years of less than 40 goals, including a season in which he only had 65 points total. People were saying he was a lazy, coach killing russian who was past his prime.

Since then, hes won the hart trophy (again) 3 straight Rocket Richard trophies (last player to win it other than him was, you guessed it, Stamkos!) and has re-established himself as THE premier goal scorer in the NHL.

Just because players don't play at an insane level 100% of their career, certainly doesn't point to them not being able to improve after the ripe OLD AGE of 25.

Bet you wouldnt have signed OV to a contract at 25 during his down years, eh?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When Ovechkin was Stamkos' age, he had back to back years of less than 40 goals, including a season in which he only had 65 points total. People were saying he was a lazy, coach killing russian who was past his prime.

Since then, hes won the hart trophy (again) 3 straight Rocket Richard trophies (last player to win it other than him was, you guessed it, Stamkos!) and has re-established himself as THE premier goal scorer in the NHL.

Just because players don't play at an insane level 100% of their career, certainly doesn't point to them not being able to improve after the ripe OLD AGE of 25.

Bet you wouldnt have signed OV to a contract at 25 during his down years, eh?

Really getting sick of hearing this Ovechkin story (and it has been told here many, many times).

Yes, Ovechkin bounced back. There have also been a ton of players who seemed like they were past their prime and guess what, it turned out that they were past their prime. Ovechkin bounced back, that doesn't mean Stamkos will. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But the Ovechkin story is 100% irrelevant.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not sure where the idea of "pulling the offer" comes from? I didn't say anything about it.

The scenario is: Team approaches TBL to speak to the Stamkos camp about a trade for SS this year (the remainder of his current contract). Stamkos (his agent) grants permission knowing that the team in question is interested in a trade and might have something interesting in mind. The involved parties agree and Stamkos is traded to his new team (this season). The new team then extends existing contract, or provides info about a new (next) contract to Stamkos. They back up the Brinks trunk and offer him big money (e.g., 12 m/yr). Stamkos signs and thus never hits the UFA market. How do we know this will never happen?

We can never say never. What I meant was the likelihood of Stamkos accepting would be slim since he would be so close to UFA anyway. Unless that was the absolute place he wanted to go to. He could wait until his UFA hits, see if any better deals are out there. If there aren't he could accept the offer you talk about. All I meant was I doubt the team that offered would now back out just because he didn't accept right away.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Really getting sick of hearing this Ovechkin story (and it has been told here many, many times).

Yes, Ovechkin bounced back. There have also been a ton of players who seemed like they were past their prime and guess what, it turned out that they were past their prime. Ovechkin bounced back, that doesn't mean Stamkos will. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But the Ovechkin story is 100% irrelevant.

Ovechkin is of similar pedigree, I'd guess these tons of players probably aren't?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

2 former 1st overall picks, rocket richard winners who had off years at the same age.

When was the last Rocket Richard winner who came into the league, became a top 3 player and then declined after turning twenty ****in five years old?

Youre sick of hearing an Ovechkin comparison? I'm sick of people treating this young adult like hes 35 instead of 25.

Its in my opinion, that people who think hes done in this league and not worth the money he is 100% going to get, are absolutely delusional.

IF Toronto signs him, the 180 some of you will pull is going to be hilarious, especially if we continue to build and insulate him with some hopeful new superstars.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I'd give him $10 mil easily. Ages 26-33.

I think he has plenty of great years left. I can't see him regressing to the point where his contract becomes untradable.

Even in a worst case scenario we could trade him 3-4 years in, retain a bit of $ and get a Kessel like package. I think he'll be a good player until 33 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad